1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

He told a lie in order to have Malvolio be less likely to dislike Barry for what he did.

ChestBurster, JamesEye, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  2. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

What's the truth? Why did Barry kill the Sheeda Queen?

JamesEye and Cuchulin like this.
  3. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Dark Knights of Steel came out in 2022, Paragon shouldn't know any comics past 2013.

Also pretty sure she's Bisexual there.

JamesEye and Cuchulin like this.
  4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hey, villains with dumber gimmicks have become big threats before.

Ohoh, yeah.

I'm reminded of a one shot I once read about a group that protects superheroes without their knowledge.

Basically in that story we follow a bunch of secret agents as they're trying to protect the wife of the Superman expy.

A mind controlling villains enthralls a guy to kill her in a way that can casually bypass the hyper advanced security her home has.

The protection detail stops the person by killing him, but in the end it turns out that these guys aren't the local SHIELD expy, they're the local HYDRA expy.

They're protecting the loved ones of the heroes since if the heroes go bad due to grief then there's nothing stopping them from killing everyone, including the bad guys, so the bad guys have a vested interest in the superheroes being happy.

The author even stated that them killing the mind control victim should have been a clue, since the SHIELD expy would have just captured him and only resorted to lethal measures if there's no other option, while the HYDRA expy would immediately resort to murder.

Yeah, he showed up in the Renegade timeline before Sheeda Land.

Paul kinda fibbed there to make Varry look more sympathetic.

Yep.

He may not have seen things in a slow time like way, but he still spent weeks seeing gruesome and horrible things done to innocents, and to have the person behind all that just walk away with the equivalent to a slap on the wrist made him snap.

ChestBurster, Ardy, Amrynel and 4 others like this.
  5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Yes, because the SI's name is 'Paul', and he said it with his mouth full of delicious fried food. The missing 'P' becomes ' and the "s are there because he's speaking.

6. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

I think Flash misses his old rogues.

7. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Huh, makes me think, is barry now less mad at Paul for killing?

8. Mr Zoat

He hasn't got that far in his reflecting process yet.

9. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

When was that?

10. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

It happened in Episode 66: Resurrectionists. Paul went to find Thana and came across an Amazon who wished to bear Paul's child.

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think she primarily wanted to just fuck him, but I could be wrong.

12. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Makes me wonder how much Amazon homonormativity owes to the aversion to reproduction and children (tying them to the dissolution of the community and thus state) for the reasons Hippolyta first outlined with the whittle baby phenomenon- arguably an inversion of heteronormativity in other places where reproduction and children and the whole (nuclear) family ideal are an essential aspect of community and thus state, with alternate sexualities being in 'conflict' with that.
    Actually, post-Klarion and post-Sheeda, I imagine that population-boosting is a big state concern in multiple governments, even with their currently reduced capabilities as they rebuild.

13. Threadmarks: Vantavendi (part 3)
    Mr Zoat

20th October 2012
    16:23 GMT

Huh. That was interesting.

Apparently, Pied Piper got his life together without prompting, got back in contact with his parents and got a legitimate sound engineering job while moonlighting with the Alliance. I remember that he did something like that in the comics, but I thought he was one of the people the Top influenced?

Not sure.

Digger seemed a bit downhearted about the whole thing. People leaving the supervillain life means less chance of the Flash being distracted when he breaks the law, and he's a man reaching the end of his physical prime whose main skill is throwing bent pieces of carbon fibre-reinforced plastic. He's a reasonable engineer, but not one I feel obliged to bring on board.

I smile at my students. No, I stayed for a week and then left for a month. These Lanterns I'm mentoring. I found them in the library; Dul reading general history, Xalitan reading psychology and Onik reading about past Green Lanterns.

"So what have you learned while I've been away?"

"I have learned that these books are too small." A tendril turns the page for Xalitan. "And that I miss Onisia. And that my fixation with order and justice is not just a result of my personal experience but also a product of a common desire amongst humanoids in complex societies to be treated as participating members of that society, with all the rights and obligations that such treatment ensures. My desires are not merely mine, but the particular manifestation of a universal drive."

He moves his hands so that they're palms up with his wrists touching his stomach, ring floating motionless above them.

"I am more than me."

I nod, smiling. "Good. Lantern Dul?"

"I've learned that the things that are the bedrock of my life are transitory, not the same even a generation ago. That the things I want are things I've been raised to want by Thanagar's leaders rather than things that emerged freely from my mind, and that I want them anyway."

"No dissonance there?"

"Still… Some. I'm working on it."

"Good. Lantern Onik?"

"I have studied the records of former Green Lanterns. I have been studying their failures and the underlying reasons for those failures. I have-. There are cases where you were definitely right about their single-mindedness, and… Ah, your own example-."

"Oh, it doesn't apply to me. I'm perfect."

I smile and wait.

"Um." He glances at the other two, and Lantern Dul nods pointedly. "I.. do not… Believe that is correct, Illustres."

"Well done. Have you learned to differentiate between things that are definitely errors and things that are simply differences in approach or objective?"

"I don't think that's possible, Illustres. It is just something a Lantern must be mindful of."

"Ooor..?"

"Um. You… Associate with people who-. With other colours of Lantern?"

"Yes. Or?"

"Study many colours?"

I nod, smiling. "Or use many colours. My homeworld's Violet Lantern let me use her ring for a few minutes, and I've given her apprentice an orange ring."

Onik nods. "That is what you meant. No one part of the whole is complete by itself. By cooperating with other colours we gain perspective, and by studying the emotions which do not relate to our ring we avoid losing ourselves to it."

"Part of it. There's also-."

Lantern Dul's eyes narrow. "Can someone use more than one ring?"

"Yes."

"All seven colours? At once?"

"In theory, though I don't think it's ever been done. Is everyone wearing their wards?" Three nods, and I use my ring to check the area for listening devices before ensuring that no sound will leave the immediate area. "There's no fundamental reason why a ring couldn't be made to channel all seven."

Onik's face falls slightly.

"All seven? So you could switch between them?"

"No."

Dul frowns. "All at once? How could someone combine-?"

"No."

Xalitan nods. "Self. You would not use each of the colours. You would use what they share. Manifesting the self in the universe. The self of you. The self of all."

"That's what I think would happen."

He looks curious. "No one has tried? The Guardians?"

"Regard emotions as things for primitives like us. The issue the Controllers have is that even starting a Central Power Battery requires an intense focus of emotion and most maltusians are fairly jaded. The emotion would have to come from-."

"Primitives like us." Lantern Dul nods. "Apart from you and Larfleeze, and Malvolio, who could do it?"

"I think that my friend Alan could help create a Blue Central Power Battery, if it came to it. The Zamarons don't like me enough to explain how they did it."

Onik nods. "What about Kalmin?"

"He didn't create one. Sinestro's personal lantern is designed to maintain its own link, though it's weaker than it would be with a Central Power Battery. Neither Sinestro nor Kalmin had the sort of intensity of fear in them that would allow them to make a Central Power Battery, even if they knew how to."

"What colour would it be?" Xalitan frowns thoughtfully as he returns his ring to his left ring finger. "A ring where all colours were one."

"White." I hold up my right hand and generate a sigil, a triangle with seven lines radiating outward. There's no difficulty in creating it as there would be with one of the other colours. "Naturally. A combination of all of the light wavelengths."

Lantern Dul stares at it. "Is that what we're trying to create?"

"No. Ah, not specifically. It would be too provocative to the Guardians and Zamarons, as well as a lot of unaligned maltusians, to even try something like that. To say nothing of how hard it would be to actually use for anything. So!"

I clap my hands together.

"If you get an opportunity to borrow a ring of a different colour, take it. If a Green Lantern wants to try your ring, let them if it's safe to do so. And don't limit your studies to avarice if you don't want to. I persuaded Alan to give Orange Lantern Koriand'r a go with his blue ring and she was a natural. Now, who wants to spar with me to find out what your newfound understanding means in terms of effectiveness?"

Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
  14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Nice to hear that he's doing so well.

More like you're too big.

Sweet.

Yeah, the values of a nation and society can shift pretty rapidly in a fairly short amount of time.

Can't win them all.

'your own'

And I'm king of the universe.

Good, you have to call out Paul in his bullshit.

It's the only way he can learn.

He's not good at learning things, what with being fairly slow, but he can still do it.

Just be persistent.

Though you used it far longer than a few minutes.

Basically White.

'requires'

And Dr. Mist may be able to make a White one.

'Zamarons'

'to his left ring'

So you find it difficult to actually generate the symbols of the other colors?

'use it for'

Just don't do it if it's black or red.

15. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I'm a little surprised that Paul would share info on the White Light with anyone, especially with someone who's more loyal to someone/something else like Paran Dul.

Paul already demonstrated it, when he was helping Sephtian in turning the Star Sapphire in to the Staff of Love. He found that making the sigil actually created a link to the plane of love, causing his construct to destabilize.

16. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Is this meant to be 'not one' or just a slightly odd turn of phrase?

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He might think it's safe since the Thanagarians don't have a means of accessing any of he Lights, so he loses nothing from telling her.

18. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Well some people have apparently been themselves with a black ring.

Osiris summoned lightning to destroy his ring rather than serve Nekron, zombie Johnny Quick just had father-daughter bonding time, and Black Lantern Anti-Monitor still thought Nekron was an asshole, if memory serves.

Edit: So Black Lantern Paul's free will actually has more precedent than sane orange lantern. Although the Solomon Grundy storyline implies that the black lantern ring and a vampire's possessing demon would in fact get along like a house on fire. But I can't say I blame Zoat for not writing a self insert that is basically Angelus with a black lantern ring. Because you know, gross.

19. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I only remember Ghia'ta lending her ring to Paul, not Dame Carol Ferris. Did this happen offscreen?

Ardy, ChestBurster and Silveraith like this.
  20. Z000

Z000 If this is trash, then find me in the dumpster

the fuck she gonna do

give this info to her home world and let them know that White Light exist

it not like any one using it to be worry about it

heck, they don't even know the White Entity is a thing

21. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    No, I think that works.
    Thank you, corrected.

22. Belenus

Belenus Versed in the lewd.

An Orange Lantern is never too big. Nor is he too small; he's precisely as large as he wants to be.

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Ghia'ta is technically Earth's Violet Lantern seeing as she's living there and using a Violet Ring.

24. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

But right afterwards he said he gave the apprentice of Earth's Violet Lantern his ring to use, which is what happened to Ghia'ta.

As such, that should say: "A Violet Lantern who's staying on my homeworld let me use her ring for a few minutes, and I in turn gave her an orange ring for her own use."

25. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

That seems like a rather dangerous assumption given Sinestro spanked Paragon the last time they met.

26. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Sinestro hasn't shown up yet. The closest we got was a possible hologram/recording talking to a prospective Sinestro Corpsman. Also, that resulted in Paul and his students wrecking several Spider Guild worlds, so I'd consider that a positive for Paul.

27. FeepingCreature

FeepingCreature Not too sore, are you?

This chapter gave me shivers. The deep ringlore! (Well, at least in universe)

28. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Paul casually shaking someone's wirld view are always my favourite parts

I also love the philosophical progress his students made. Not many stories manage to make personal growth so interesting and story-relevant

Vorian, Cuchulin, Ardy and 5 others like this.
  29. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Unfortunately, events caused him to backslide, in the comics. Hooray for editorial mandates and/or writers wanting to play around with the status quo in the name of nostalgia... :rolleyes:

So, he's basically having a mid-life crisis. Hopefully it turns out better than it did in the comics, where he ends up dying to Tim Drake's father while assassinating him... And then he got brought back to life after Blackest Night. Man can not catch a break, huh?

At least they've stayed on task. An impressive show of discipline.

Something you don't often see with big guys in films: dealing with things scaled for conventional people. Even the Avengers movies cheaped out a little buy having the Endgame 'professor' Hulk being smaller than most of his previous forms.

Making quite a good show of his progression towards Enlightenment. Perhaps someday, he'll be the next Illustres.

Because you think they're the right thing to want, or because you honestly want them for yourself?

Ah, she's still struggling with that question herself, I see.

It's all right to say some Greenies are stubborn dickheads, you know.

Heh, testing to see if he can overcome that natural submissiveness to authority, huh?

Perspective is a wonderful thing, when you can keep a hold of it.

You're almost there, Onik.

Getting warmer.

Understating it a little, but technically, for her, it was only a few minutes. Never mind him having a cross-parallel adventure lasting a couple of days...

Well done. All he's missing is the last piece of logic.

It's not like they're exclusive, you know. Dul could probably rock a Red Ring, if she didn't have one with the whole 'replace your heart' gimmick.

Oh-ho, breaking his silence about a certain colour, is he?

Not unprecedented in the comics, even if it was during the Post-Flashpoint era.

Still thinking too limited, Missy. What happens when multiple wavelengths of light combine, hmm?

And of course the most perceptive one sees to the heart of it.

Pfft. They barely manage with one light. Can you imagine them trying to handle all seven?

...Just out of curiosity, of course, eh? Not like this will help your bosses with anything.

He could build the hardware, but when it comes to the energy needed...

No doubt Sinestro is making plans about expanding, though, as we saw earlier.

Though others have said it, I'll repeat it: Creating the sigil of a colour is enough to touch that light. It's how that magician on Earth (Dark Druid, was it?) was able to make zombies using the Black Sigil. And now I'm picturing the White Light Entity going 'Hmm? Oh? Eh.' in its' sleep inside Earth.

Exaggerating a little for obfuscation, eh? After all, White Light is supposedly easy to use. It's just hard to keep it on task. Because unlike the other lights, it has its own intentions.

Still hoping he manages to get her her own Blue Ring one day.

More checking in, I see. At least he remembered he had students apprentices interns I-don't-even-know. As for improved skills, I suspect they'll be more efficient in their consumption of ring charge, if nothing else. Whether their constructs are stronger as well as cheaper, remains to be seen... Wonder where he'll be wandering off to next, then.

30. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Arguing that Paragon got spanked by Sinestro's answering machine instead of Sinestro himself doesn't really help the case here...

Cuchulin likes this.