1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    That will be covered in this episode.

2. Flightless Man

Flightless Man Versed in the lewd.

I thought it was said, that she would go back if it was possible to visit.. But she didn't want to go back and stay on her earth. So if she has a way back and forth, she's visiting. If she has no way, she's on our Earth.

Bud-E likes this.
  3. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Eh... "thus" implies causation, which just isn't true. American English doesn't distinguish groups from any other kind of noun when deciding whether to use singular or plural grammar, which means the form of a word itself decides what verbs to use with it.

Also, Ma Bell was drawn (new articles of incorporation) and quartered (into the Baby Bells) so I'm not sure you can rightly say that none have ever been executed. :p

ChestBurster and Vorian like this.
  4. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

That doesn't sound safe. While Overgirl and Overman would be fine the rest of Nazi earth having easy access to earth 16 is going to cause some serious problems.

5. Noctus

Noctus I trust you know where the happy button is?

Planning on re-reading this. Anyone mind telling me what differences there are in the second rewrite?

6. Mr Zoat

Rewrite?

All that happened is that I improved the spelling and replaced some of the picture links.

7. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Is Vulcan willing to move to Thaanagar or were they just going to have him make Nth metal for them on earth and ship it to them?

8. Noctus

Noctus I trust you know where the happy button is?

ohh cheers.

ChestBurster likes this.
  9. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Hopefully she's recovered a bit from it.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  10. Threadmarks: Vantavendi (part 2)
    Mr Zoat

20th October 2012
    09:41 GMT -6

Lenny plonks a plate of fried food down in front of Mr. Harkness and me, while Mr. Harkness continues to stare at me over the rim of his coffee mug. He then heads back to the cooker to plate up what's left for himself. Lenny's kitchen is pretty clean, something that's at odds with the homes of a lot of supervillains and something I put down to the fact that he probably does electronic engineering in here.

Watching 'Captain Cold' work a frying pan, grill and griddle was an interesting experience. I enjoy cooking, but I've never bothered putting the sort of effort into a fried breakfast that he is without really thinking about it. And then I looked a little closer, and I understand. It's not like his father was going to feed them.

"Ketchup?"

Lenny looks around and then shifts his eyes up-

"Cupboard behind you."

-before moving back to the fried egg he's transferring.

I pick up my knife and fork, pinning the fried slice and cutting through a segment. Mr. Harkness puts down his coffee mug and sidles out of his chair, reaching back for the cupboard handle-.

"Mister Harkness." And cut through the bacon, pleased that Lenny didn't microwave it as Wallace used to. "I.. don't know why you're acting like this. We've never fought each other. I don't have anything against you."

Mr. Harkess flicks his eyes towards Lenny as I put my fork in my mouth, and Lenny shrugs.

"And if you can pick fights with a man who runs at the speed of light while armed with a bent stick, I'm-"

"It's carbon fibre-reinforced plastic."

"-sure-. Oh. Sorry. Carbon fibre-reinforced plastic. I'm sure you can avert your eyes for five seconds to get some ketchup."

He considers for a moment as Lenny takes his place at the head of the table, then turns around, flicks open the cupboard, plucks out the ketchup and returns to the table in about a second.

"My compliments to the chef."

Lenny's mouth is already full, but he nods pleasantly. Mr. Harkness-

"Diggah."

-squirts a circle of ketchup onto his first fried bread slice, then puts the bottle down and begins piling fried food on top of it.

"Digger."

I take a card with my name on it out of subspace and hold it up, facing him. He frowns at it as he finishes assembling his fried sandwich, then picks it up and takes a squelchy bite.

"'uwl."

"We're not getting Kadabra back, are we?"

I smile at Lenny and shake my head. "I found a way to meet his desires lawfully. He can come back to Central City, but unless he's picking up some of his technology-"

And he shouldn't be, because I did look for anything like that.

"-he's got no real reason to come back." Lenny affects a look of mild hurt. "Other than the fine company."

Digger frowns. "It's been bugging me. First time we met. What was that crack you made about New Zealand?"

"I said that if you meet someone with an antipodean accent, you should ask if they're from New Zealand. If they are, then they'll be happy-."

He nods. "Like it, because you didn't say 'Australia', and if they're from Aus they'll just laugh. I've been bleedin' tryin' to remember that for a year."

I scoop up some more bacon. "Glad I could help."

"Yeah, and I was wondering when you was gonna reappear. Just walk up to me in a bar, then next time I hear about you it's because you've grabbed Kedebra."

"There was never any plan for me to come after you."

"What, I'm not worth your time?"

I wave my fork as I chew, then swallow. "I can take you in if you want?"

He freezes for a moment. "Hey. Come on now."

I shake my head as a I take another bite.

"Did something happen to the Flash?" I turn back to Lenny as he gazes at me. "When I was inside. He paid me a visit after I got back. Didn't sound like himself."

"He boarded one of the Sheeda harvest ships. I don't think he'd seen anything quite that horrific before."

"More than that."

"He also killed their queen, while we were talking to the person she fled to for protection-" Digger leans back slightly. "-under flag of truce."

Lenny nods. "Yeah. That'd do it. She had it coming, but that would mess him up."

"Not your problem any more, mate."

"Yeah." Lenny smiles at his former colleague. "Sucks for you, though."

Digger just takes another bite, while Lenny points at my plate with his knife.

"Any good? I spent a lot of time working in prison kitchens."

"Yes, thank-."

Digger looks dubious. "Prison kitchens? When did they let you anywhere near-?"

"Every bachelor should master at least one meal, even if he doesn't usually cook for himself. One of the proudest moment in my early career was Green Arrow calling my chilli 'okay', and I know that Batman does a mean steak."

"Anyone can fry." Lenny uses knife and fork to crack a slice of fried toast. "Takes practice to do it well."

Digger nods. "I can-."

"Not including barbecues. Inside, with an oven."

"Oh." He appears to sour on the concept. "Just queers then."

"Um." I make a show of tilting my head back as I mentally match the male members of the Justice League to their female paramours. "No, as far as I know all of the men of the Justice League are straight."

"You mean the women aren't? 'cause I've always wondered about Wonder Woman."

"Um. Honestly? Diana's an Amazon, so I just sort of assumed?" They both nod. "But, having worked with her, and talked to other Themyscirans about it, I'm starting to wonder if she's a closeted straight woman."

Digger frowns. "How's that work?"

"In our culture, homosexuality was traditionally taboo and is definitely a minority interest anyway. You don't come out as straight. On Themyscira-."

"There aren't any men on Themyscira. It's not the same thing."

"I got hit on once, and she waited until there wasn't anyone else around. Though speaking of queers, what is Pied Piper doing with himself these days?"

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  11. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

This is really a great chapter Zoat. Straight up character stuff. Really a great scene.

12. LanguagAe

LanguagAe Getting sticky.

I miss the old days when I would let this story sit for months before I started reading up the back log. Day by day is enjoyable but it lacks a little something.

Fun vacation chapter.

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Calling Snart "Lenny".

You really must like him.

'closer'

Some people just don't like other people.

They sometimes dislike them for no reason.

Either add or remove a ' from 'uwl'

'picking up

Or

'forgot to pickup some'

If this isn't just has accent then ut should be 'Kedabra'

Nice to see that he cares about Barry.

'points'

14. Bloodalchemy

Bloodalchemy Versed in the lewd.

This feels exactly like watching an ex husband and new husband talk for the first time.

Paul has moved past the relationship and doesn't have any reason to care.
    Digger has been told this but can't help but feel defensive and worried Paul will randomly explode on him.

15. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    It is.
    Why?

16. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

When he (as in the flash) got back. Unless Lenny got out of prison to fight the sheedah, got put back in again, the flash visited, and then just got out again

also yay, I missed the character stuff

17. Mr Zoat

Lenny is asking if something happened to the Flash while Lenny was in prison. The Flash visited Lenny after he was released.

18. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Honestly, until Hatkness remark I thought he and Lenny were boinking

19. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

Not referring to him as Mister Rathaway?

20. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

The Arrowverse Captain Cold isn't straight, so it wouldn't be unprecedented if Cold bats for the home team.

But yeah, it seems they are just mates in the Australian use of the term.

21. Bomaz

Bomaz Know what you're doing yet?

Isn't heavily implying that Batman is a bachelor rather unprofessional what with secret identities and all?

22. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

That seems a rather odd assumption for Paragon to make given I can't think of a single version of Diana that's a lesbian...

Doccer, AngelicKnight. and Cuchulin like this.
  23. Massgamer

Massgamer I trust you know where the happy button is?

I love how even Flash's rogue's gallery is worried about him after his understandably traumatic experience.

They don't like their funny and happy go lucky speedster being down in a the dumps, partly cause they are worried what would happen if he hit rock bottom to them.

Jaron, ChestBurster, Ardy and 8 others like this.
  24. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Dark Knights of Steel Diana is Not Supergirl's girlfriend.

25. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

You could have that enjoyment again...

26. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Batman's not a bachelor so it's actually a handy misdirection.

Jaron, ChestBurster, Ardy and 10 others like this.
  27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Because it has three ' at the beginning and only two at the end.

Diggah was apparently reading what was on Paul’s card and said 'uwl' but you wrote it as " 'uwl " when it should be "'uwl'".

A lot of people are bachelors, so it isn't giving much away.

Plus Bruce is now married, so he's no longer a bachelor, so Paul's implication doesn't really matter.

28. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

I don't know, but I keep hearing stories about rats and children? Or kidnapping?

ChestBurster, Ardy and Cuchulin like this.
  29. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

True, dust and grime do not play nice with microcircuitry liek you might find in a Cold Gun. And good to see him actually making real food, instead of tossing some ready-to-eat crap in the microwave. Guess he takes his food seriously.

And that would give a man some good habits in his home life. If only to avoid being like the old man.

Heh. guessing this is not the first time these two have spent a night drinking. Presumably they'd usually have a few other Rogues around, but with Lenny going straight, as it were...

...Might help if you looked where you were reaching, mate. :rolleyes:

:eek: ...Microwaved bacon? Who does that? I don't even eat bacon, and I know that's a sin against cuisine! :mad:

Feeling a bit insulted, Digger? You should see how he treated the Arrows back in the day.

All the more amusing when you consider that his son has limited Super-speed powers of his own.

Still a bit suspicious, eh? And OL is usually so disarmingly charming. :p Or is it a little bit of that old Aussie-v-Pommie rivalry filtering in?

Heh, the old sausage sizzle sanger. Let me guess, he'll roll it up and eat it? Like a taco or a burrito, if you've never seen the process.

...That's not a no on the rolled front. Let me guess, OL figures he can poach Boomerang from the Rogues too? I mean, given some of his crazier trick boomerang designs (Seriously, the Silver Age was weird. Must have been the drugs of the 60's.) :D

Not unless you suddenly became a magic teacher in the last year, no.

I imagine more than a few tech-based villains would find their caches of tech missing if they ever got out of jail, with OL around.

The original meeting, for the curious. How far OL's come...

And while Australia and New Zealand have a long-standing rivalry, mostly on sporting fields, there is still a sort of antagonistic friendship between the countries.

Enough to get you looking over your shoulder, huh?

...You throw boomerangs and rob banks. :rolleyes: You're hardly a global threat.

Yeah, don't let your ego write checks your ass can't cash, Digger.

Yes, well... I can figure the Rogues having a vested interest in the Flash's temperament. If all it took is one bad day for him to go all Punisher...

And that news is probably going to be in the Rogues' ears as soon as Digger can get to a phone, I bet.

Hey, the Rogues have always tried to keep their hands reasonably clean. Unless someone really pisses them off... Helps keep the prison sentences short, after all. :p

And I can't help but imagine him having a moment of cold sweat, and reconsidering his life choices.

Hey, it looks good on the rap sheet for parole hearings.

And when a man whose chilli can make the Manhunter cry and Aquaman beg for water says it's 'okay', you know you did well.

And yes, Aussie men of Digger's time usually know their way around a barbecue.

...Also a relic of Digger's time: Casual bigotry. :oops:

To be fair, the world probably thinks she 'eats more pussy than Alf', to paraphrase one internet wag. Because, you know, an entire island of women? ;)

...Well, consider how the world sees it. x3

Hartley Rathaway, aka the Pied Piper. Openly homosexual since the late 90's, and a close ally of Wally West for a lot of his tenure. And an expert in sonic technologies.

Well, that's a pleasant little scene. Three guys sharing a late breakfast and shooting the shit. It's moments like these that make the story work, sometimes. Perhaps OL can lure Boomerang, and maybe some of the other Rogues, away from the criminal life. Though some of them might enjoy being bad, so it could be a tough sell...

30. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

How is Barry doing since he killed the Sheeda Queen? btw I remember Paul told Malvolio that the reason for Flash doing that is cause he spent most of the war in Flash-time is this true or did the Sheeda kill someone Barry loved?

Cuchulin and Prince Charon like this.