1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Should be plural, "shakes".

DAT_NOOB, Wheenesss and Mr Zoat like this.
  2. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Well, Grayven recommended a match with Bruce Wayne, but it's a day late and a dollar short in this continuity. I predict...

...I predict that we're going to have a scene transition, and we're not going to find out until later in the episode.

3. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Aw, not even married to Jade yet and he is already acting like a brother to Artemis, enjoying her pain >: )

4. SebazuD

SebazuD Experienced.

......I'd forgotten about this.
    Why Zoat?
    Why!?
    Why write the pronunciation of the individual letters when this is a written medium?

Jaron, PervyThoughts, sagemo and 29 others like this.
  5. helios

helios Praise the Sun!

I'd always imagined the primary motivator was spite.

6. SebazuD

SebazuD Experienced.

That's a very plausible reason.

7. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

8. Simonbob

Simonbob Really? You don't say.

Ah, parenting.

"That, Jade and I"

9. Buggy123

So, Nguyen is prounounced "win"? I thought it was "Ng-uu-en", with a hard G sound. Apparently a silent G is a thing, though.

Jaron, sagemo, Ardy and 5 others like this.
  10. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

We've all had that sort of thing happen. :p

They are pretty cool folks, barring the jerk.

Pronounced exactly the same, I expect?

Heh. I'd be worried too if my sixteen-year-old daughter was talking about marriage.

Well, when you put it like that... :rolleyes:

Seriously, what language would even spell that sound like that?

'Wynn', much like Peter on Earth-12. Interesting choice.

Blunt as ever, OL.

"Then Jade and I would have to have an actual conversation about it.

Heh. And if it tastes bad, the ring could have altered your perception of taste...

"Do not ask an Eldar a question. They will give you three answers, and all will be true and terrifying."

Wow, she was really insulted by that, wasn't she? Holly's got a lot of making up to do...

Awkward... Also: extraneous a.

And now it goes from awkward to funny.

Heh. Love these fluff pieces before the plot gets started. Always entertaining.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  11. Ancalador

Ancalador Know what you're doing yet?

All Hail The Jade, first of her name!

...pretty sure that should be then.

12. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    "Get lost mon keigh" isn't exactly terrifying.

13. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Pretty sure this should be Paula, not Paul.

Cuchulin and Mr Zoat like this.
  14. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Actually I somewhat disagree:
    Not so much that they wouldn't leave him and his alone till other more immediate concerns and supervillains are dealt with. But leave him completly unmolested? I believe they actually would've had a problem this.
    So:
    When I watched that episode of the Justice Lords I got a distinct sense that the Justice Lords had just...given up. You can see their resignation and a bit of apprehension at the moment they hear Lex Luthor broke out again and the pointlessness of going back the merry-go-round and the reaffirming that they will kill again, that they are choosing to walk down this path again.
    Once they fought believing that by stopping the threats of today to ensure a better tomorrow, or at least that there would be a tomorrow. But after that whole thing with Luthor and his shitiness being a sign that the same threats would always be there and get worse they gave up. Then created a peaceful world with all the clinicalness of a lab and lied to themselves by confusing 'good' and 'perfect'.

I really do believe that they would see what Peter has done and be confused and worried that somebody has made a better world by converting supervillains and taking them out of circulation. Doing what they never could. Batman probably could but he is pretty galvanized about villians.
    So I imagine that they would have disbelief like the Justice League and others but firmer. More seriously worried (possibly) that he is a more successful, hiding in plain sight, Lex Luthor just waiting for the shoe to drop. Becuase they'd be hard-pressed to accept that their way isn't the only way but also there is obviously a better way right in front of them. And this means they were/are wrong. Would they accept this?
    I think they would put him aside till all other threats are killed or lobotomized but might take advantage of the next supervillain relapse and might possibly try to get a few more who were only protecting the company, the Lord's just 'misjudged the situation'.
    That is just an outline of what I think would happen if they stuck around.

15. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 Versed in the lewd.

It can be when accompanied by mind control to become lost and unable to find your way

16. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

I figure it's fallout from Star Wars writers. They never did settle on it for droid naming.

See-Threepio and Artoo-Detoo get written often enough that it does stand out between different authors that go for the alternative.

17. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  18. gustyeagle

gustyeagle Know what you're doing yet?

I've never seen anything other than artoo spelled out. It makes me wonder if some one has made an ascii art book but sold it as a piece of literature.

Jaron, FeepingCreature and Buggy123 like this.
  19. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Truggs was correct in saying that Super Heroes are basically reactive and so mostly useless when it comes to making the world a better place unless it involves 'righteous face punching'. Mind you they generally do a pretty good job of keeping things from getting worse but not much more.

20. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

One thing heels do very well is help with identify concealment. I distinctly remember women whom I've worked with for years who I just didn't recognize because they had to wear flats one day; knowing intellectually that someone has to be shorter than they seem and actually seeing it are two very different things. So long as the super in question has flight as one of their defining abilities (Supergirl, Rocket, etc) I could definitely see heels being used for the same purpose as masks and body-shaping suits, for people serious about concealing their identities.

The "G" is (mostly) silent, but, importantly, neither "N" is. The name is pronounced more like "Ng-wein", with the "g" almost completely silent, than it is "Win".

Frankly Paul is revealing himself to be a bit of a barbarian here, totally butchering the pronunciation of his girlfriend's last name in front of her family.

Drode, Silveraith, zerofarad and 5 others like this.
  21. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Win is still preety accurate, if you say it all British-like (in an English accent). As the video sais, it’s in the accents. Maybe “New Ying” is a bit more accurate. Also, that sounds like it’s 3 characters, and you sort of have to represent each character the same way, no matter the context, so something like a silent g would also be useful if it was also sometimes present in the character pronunciation, and would be left out at the ends of words

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    Cuchulin likes this.
  22. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

I learned how to pronounce Nguyen in high school because one of my classmates was Vietnamese. Paul is just coming off like a cad here: "I can't bother to learn to properly pronounce your daughter's chosen last name, and am indignant that I can't just change it to something totally Anglicanized because it's easier on my tongue." For a guy who just spent a paragraph bragging about how his ring lets him perform any skill like an expert, the fact that he can't be bothered to properly pronounce his girlfriend's name says a lot about how important this relationship is to him.

Bomaz, Caerwen, zerofarad and 4 others like this.
  23. Buggy123

I don't think that meshes well with what we've seen of Paul's relationship with Jade; he clearly does care about her and their relationship and put in significant amounts of effort. So it doesn't seem consistent with that for him to knowingly pronounce it incorrectly.

Maybe it's just a slight difference in pronunciation? Even if you speak the same language and even the same dialect, there's still a fair bit of variation between regions/groups, and even individuals tend to pronounce some things differently. "win" is already relatively close to the correct pronunciation, so maybe that's just the pronunciation that they use. I mean, Paula and her children have been living in the states for a while and they're fluent in english, it's perfectly possible that there's been a little mixing between the two languages.

24. Fouredged

Fouredged Experienced.

I used to work in a Vietnamese heavy manufacturing plant. Everyone there pronounced it exactly like "Gwen" much to the confusion of the one American Gwen who worked there.

It is also a placeholder name. Many coming over had no last name by western standards. They generally just put a random name for ther last name.

Ardy, zerofarad, Navi-Hank and 2 others like this.
  25. Hell's Razer

Hell's Razer Passive Member

Wait, so their family name is pronounced like the sound a sword being unsheathed makes? Awesome.

26. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr Zoat, since Paul has no idea what Dame Carol Danvers is doing in Universe 16, that means he just pointed out where the Zamarons live, and is assuming she'll visit, spend some time there, and then return home on her own. Is that in anyway going to bite him?

Second question. If it's not to spoilery, will we see Savitr soon? We only heard of him in an offhand way when the Team took down the remnants of the Cult of the Kobra. We know he is pretty much behind the kidnapping of the last member of the Blue Trinity, and is probably going to kidnap as many speedsters in order to power himself and his cult. Is he in the works for this year, or later in the story?

Bramble Thorn, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  27. Eponymic

Eponymic Getting sticky.

If DC has a UTF equivelant, why bother with latin characters at all? Chữ Nôm and Han are both things.

28. frozenchicken

frozenchicken Here to Read the Articles

I've always thought it was 'Nyu-wen'. Preferably said fast.

Cuchulin likes this.
  29. Mr Zoat

There are consequences, certainly.
    I'd honestly forgotten about him, but now that I've been reminded I'm sure that he'll show up eventually.

With regards to the name thing, the guide I looked at said it could be pronounced 'win' or 'n-wen'. The one time her name was mentioned in the series I'm pretty sure it was pronounced 'win', which is why the SI is saying this. Unless that turns out to be totally wrong and no one in Vietnam says it like that, I'm going to rule that that's how Jade says it as well.

30. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I'm going to assume this interaction will result in the creation of the Star Sapphire Corps. Seeing someone who is part of an organization full of people who can channel the emotion of love is going to turn the gears in the heads of the Zamarons. Hope they are at least a little grateful for his assistance and that it doesn't tick off the Guardians and Controllers that they have even more (competent) competition.