1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

They can try, but its not really possible, since Zatanna still has their equivalent of a central power battery.

2. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

I don't know if in the 'ye olde ages' of the comics it was the equivalent of a Central Power Battery, but in this fic it's the equivalent of a Personal Power Battery, nothing more. And if I recall, during War of Light (I think?) in the comics the Central Power Battery for the Star Sapphires was the crystallized remains of the original Hawkman and Hawkwoman.

Alexandercctv and Ardy like this.
  3. Aeess

No, it was explicitly stated that its their central power battery, it was mentioned during the talk between Hal and Queen Aga'po, when Grayven wanted to restore his capacity to love.

Gilhelmi and caspian1a like this.
  4. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Last I remember, it was with Dame Carol Danvers. She probably brought it back to the Universe 16 Zamarons. She might even share how violet rings are created, allowing for their creation in Universe 16.

5. Aeess

No, the last time we saw it, Zatanna had it and used it to teleport them away.

6. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Wasn't that just the Staff of, the staff that used to have the Star Sapphire? The gem itself was given away, but I think that staff still works as a focusing item, it just doesn't give her extra power anymore. We might need Mr Zoat's word on it.

7. Lord Ernest

That was just the Staff of, without the Sapphire I believe. It's still a magical staff, made with magical/meta materials and with orichalcum circuits and stuff, but no crystal; she can probably use it as a focus.

Oh, and here is when Paulphidian analyzed the Star Sapphire; I trust more in their word than in Jordan's word, he hasn't really analyzed the thing properly (and hid it in the middle of the desert without more thorough protection or vigilance).

8. Aeess

Zatanna said she couldn't use the Staff after the Sapphire was removed, and there isn't really a reason why her spell would generate mist without it, and unlike before Dame Carol wasn't noted as having it when they saw her afterwards.

Its wasn't Jordan who told them that, but literally the person who created it, Queen Aga'po clearly said that it was their own attempt to recreate the Central Power Battery.

Gilhelmi likes this.
  9. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

I'm not entirely sure this is true. I'm not completely dismissing your claim, but I can't find anything to back it up. Can you point out where this is established? Because I found the opposite in my own research, since the Vice President is a member of the executive branch and serves in the legislative branch.

You haven't read the original 1978 novelization of the first movie, then. It was ghostwritten on Lucas's behalf based on a pre-shooting draft of the screenplay. It actually includes some stuff that was cut from the final film that ties into the later movies (that hadn't even been planned yet). "Artoo-Detoo" is how that book writes it. I don't think "R2-D2" ever even appears in the text.

10. Lord Ernest

The mist, I believe, is just the 'special effect' that happens some times when Zatanna does magic. Like when she changes costumes or the like; plus, when she used magic fueled by the Sapphire I think the violet color showed up in her actions or dialogue. And since Dame Carol showed up flying that would mean she was still empowered and I don't think she had the time to fly to Zamaron, get a replacement ring and come back, but I guess it is a valid interpretation; it will probably be clarified later.

Jordan said 'So you're telling me', in my experience that's when you decide to paraphrase or put in layman's terms what you think you understood of some complicated explanation. We didn't literally hear Aga'po say it was a Central Power Battery, and since they're trying to recreate the technology and the Star Sapphire doesn't have much programming (if at all) that would make a pseudo-Violet Light Fountain, not a proper one, but something like that, a primary connection to the Violet Light from the Universe but not necessary the Central Focus. At least that's my interpretation.

Drode, Vorian, Aeess and 3 others like this.
  11. rdfox

rdfox Know what you're doing yet?

That's somewhat different, as it's explicitly stated in the Constitution that one of the Vice President's duties (in fact, constitutionally, pretty much his only duty other than waiting for the boss to sneeze) is to serve as President of the Senate. Holding roles in two separate branches simultaneously without explicit authority in the Constitution to do so would qualify as a potential conflict of interest and, while not explicitly prohibited, would probably result in any legal challenge to one's actions in either role on the grounds of said CoI being rubber-stamped by the judiciary in record time, due to the legal requirement to avoid even the appearance of impropriety.

Gilhelmi likes this.
  12. bobsimmo

bobsimmo Simmr001 on SV/SB

shes also a lantern's love interest, so she should maybe avoid refrigerators

Drode, helios, Vorian and 3 others like this.
  13. Jirachi

Jirachi I trust you know where the happy button is?

Does Alan's similarity to the guardians / maltusians extend far enough that he could bond with a blue central power battery?
    (Also, it's kind of a shame that we never got to see Alan's blue lantern oath)
    I think the basic reason why there is so little magic in space is basically just that there is so little ambient mana in most places. Someone like Balewa or John, who is connected to either a universe wide magical force or has a metaphysique that is just *that* strong, can operate in space just fine, right?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    Cuchulin and Gilhelmi like this.
  14. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

In theory, anyone could. Alan is a long way from the WIS required, but he may well get there eventually.

15. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Is Paragon able to bond with the Orange CPB then? Would that even make a difference?

16. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

We did tho. It’s “I ain’t dead yet, son.”

17. Mr Zoat

Maybe? I haven't really thought about it.

18. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

I agree with you there; I had pointed out earlier in the discussion that the Senate would likely block the confirmation for that very reason.

Gilhelmi likes this.
  19. Jirachi

If Paul knows about this, might be worthwhile to check if he, Balewa and maybe a few others can bond with it, and see if he can ask the guardians about whether Guy would be compatible with the process for the green central battery.
    (I mean, I'd assume Paul is elgible for the process, since I think the point of the scene with the silencer construct was to show that he has better mastery of the orange light than Hinon, even after the bond with the central power battery.)

DrThoth likes this.
  20. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I’m not sure if Paragon knows Doctor Mist has White enlightenment, though he should rank that as highly probable since he can see the unusual white light in his soul and the latter’s stated resistance to Anti-Life.
    Paragon should be eager to try to replicate Mist’s ritual either himself or with someone else- though I imagine there are many spiritual dangers associated with letting your soul drift free to become one with the universe.
    Failing that, figuring out how to permanently tap into the White Light and make White Lantern Batteries etc. should be at least a long-term goal given Paragon’s own philosophy of all the lights being part of a greater whole (that seemed to directly lead to his own enlightenment). Did Paragon try to get Hinon to meet Doctor Mist while she was on Earth?

Conversely, Hades could be a possible avenue to benevolent or at least neutral Black Lanterns (I’m assuming his black speech marks indicate Black enlightenment, though I know there are implied nuances sometimes that I don’t think I fully grasp).

The current episode’s title Realigned could refer to many things- possibly the Zamaron issue, giving them the Star Sapphire to restore balance?
    I’m more hoping for it to refer to Order and Chaos so that we can see Constantine return- realigning implies balance or correction of some kind.

Mr Zoat forgetting Savitar surprises me a bit, because according to a spoiler a while back I’d imagine he’s getting up to a lot behind the scenes. Then again, just thinking about the Zigzag episode and the relative lack of panic or follow-up on a situation that could potentially lead to mass-produced hostile speedsters makes me irritated, so I don’t mind forgetting for a bit. I suppose I can explain it as the enemy reasonably expecting that Paragon would escalate in retaliation if they tried and that they wouldn’t survive it- I imagine a lot of villainous activity has to be even more secretive than before thanks to his presence and actions. Is Russia doing anything about the speedster attack that we haven’t seen?

This paragraph has mild spoilers for Young Justice season 3 (January episodes). Discussing the above makes me wonder how things would have been different if Young Justice season 3 was also canonical to this fic; I’d imagine the Light would have reached out more strongly to Paragon since he should represent a plausible way to fight Darkseid (from their perspective at least). The Light might very well be hypocritical and needlessly antagonistic (ie classic idiotic super-villainy) in pursuing their stated goal, but given that said goal (saving Earth) is very much in their interests, I do think they’d have reached out to Paragon in the same manner that they did Renegade.
    I also imagine Nabu’s situation might have gone a bit differently since his past was changed from comics canon (in current continuity (which is definitely not relevant to Earth-16Z) I believe he’s just a human priest of Thoth, which seems like a let-down even though I like the idea of an actual ethnic Egyptian being Doctor Fate).

Gilhelmi and infinityDivided like this.
  21. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

Zoat, I don't know if it's been asked already, but all these alternate Paul's have wondering what a Paul in the universe of The Incredibles would do.

Any ideas on that?

NeoDarklight likes this.
  22. Jirachi

He sensed him having a connection with the white light, heard his story about his enlightenment, and heard a couple of comparisons with his abilities and such being the same for the purposes of anti-life resistance. He probably knows.

DrThoth and Ardy like this.
  23. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

My own guess is that Paul travels to Earth 12 to patch things up with the Justice League there. He was "aligned" with the villains of a parallel Earth last episode, so he becomes "realigned" by helping the heroes of a different parallel Earth.

This guess is partially motivated by me wanting to see more of Earth 12.

Ngamer11, Ardy, Jormuungaand and 2 others like this.
  24. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

"No Senator or Representative shall, during the Time for which he was elected, be appointed to any civil Office under the Authority of the United States, which shall have been created, or the Emoluments whereof shall have been encreased during such time; and no Person holding any Office under the United States, shall be a Member of either House during his Continuance in Office."

Sceptic, Cuchulin and Gilhelmi like this.
  25. Mr Zoat

Probably more or less the same as Peter, due to not having a way to recharge.

26. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

You know, I am enough of a bastard that I would have prevented Talia wedding by showing Bruce what Talia did to her son in the comics.

Mostly because child abuse is one of those things I don't tolerate.

But back in topic, will we see more of common sence Paul?

DrThoth and Doccer like this.
  27. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Ah, that would be why I didn't find it. That's the 27th Amendment; historically it WASN'T a restriction and it was during my lifetime that this changed.

Most of what you've quoted there is only saying that a congressperson isn't allowed to create a job or increase the pay for a job, and then take that job for themselves. But the last bit does indeed support your claim: in any modern circumstance (assuming this amendment was ratified in this form in the relevant parallel) such a resignation would be required, and if it's a new position that was created while they were in office they wouldn't even be able to accept it even then.

Gilhelmi likes this.
  28. Mr Zoat

When I think of a situation that could easily have been prevented by common sense.

29. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

Ohhhhhhhhh Shipping, I do enjoy shipping.

I ship Paula and Alan.

Now, before you get out that he is "40 years older". He does look like he is in his late 50's thanks to the Ring and will still be outliving her by several centuries. They would make just the most adorable grandparent couple ever. They both led isolated lives, her because of an abusive husband and him because of his wife going insane and spending her last few years in an asylum.

DrThoth, Doccer and Cuchulin like this.
  30. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

I got bored at work and got to wondering what was going on with Wally and his Alchemy.

I thought it might be interesting if Mr. Queen "retired" from Superheroing to mentor Mr. West in starting and running a multi-million dollar industry that disrupts the beauty industry (they are still fighting the ultimate EVILLLLLLL regulators more interested in protecting the status quo of big pharma, but threatening to make the Mexican GDP larger then the United States with the new Alchemical Pharmaceutical industry seems to be forcing the Senate and House a bit.... Still, 5 years out. But beauty is paying the legal bills for that fight.).

Some University is offering to give Wallace a Doctorate so that he can teach (and discover) the new magical science. Maybe even a couple jokes about Dr. West having his own department before he can drive...... I think he is still under 18 (learners permit at 16, but you need a parent or someone over 21).

Maybe have him go to Fashion week with a mildly disinterested crowd he points to a person and asks to demonstrate the alchemical hair product. This older gentleman is amused Wally doesn't know who he is, so plays along while everyone watches (also amused, but assuming that the boy is just an idiot), as Wally changes the mans hair color to various hues of pinks, violets, browns, and for the grand finally, multi-color stripes like rainbow dash would have (if she existed here). The old man loves the demonstration and offers to distribute the entire line throughout France and Europe, revealing that he is actually Bernard Arnault French Businessman Billionaire, and chooses to keep the rainbow hair for the rest of the day. Suddenly making the company 500 million because and Mr. Queen just sighs because he promised to help the next generation of hero's learn about business but now his workload quadrupled instantly.

So, what is Wally actually doing now? I do seem to remember he and Artemis retired for a while in the show.