1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

I'll thank you not to make assumptions about Mr Zoat's self-insert in the story he is writing.

Taking your statement at face value makes no sense to me, because either this stuff has already happened in canon, or the stuff that hasn't seems perfectly logical and internally consistent with the story Mr Zoat is writing, and I trust his knowledge of DC canon much more than I do yours. Furthermore, I have yet to see any actual substance to your argument.

Unfortunately given your history, you most assuredly won't provide proper justification or applicable evidence to back up your statements.

jonasquinn, BoML, Ardy and 7 others like this.
  2. Xelloss

Xelloss Know what you're doing yet?

its primary

I've... wondered

Chojin Patriarch, Mr Zoat and Darko like this.
  3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

That treaty may not exist in Earth 16 and even if it did the Russians aren't exactly violating any of its rules.

They aren't claiming sovereignty of space, the ships are probably not WMD, they may not even be nuclear powered, the treaty allows for space exploration and other such activities.

The treaty also doesn't prohibit military activity in space, just as long as there are no WMD involved.

The various governments will most likely be pissed at Russia, but they wouldn't have any grounds for war since the Russians didn't break any laws.

The US also doesn't exactly have all that many supergeniuses that can build spaceships on their payroll and there may not be all that many around in the first place.

The various aliens that are on Earth may not have their spaceships with them, aside from Icon and Superman.

The Hawks don't count since their ship is property of the Thanagarian government, who may not want to get involved in Earths political situation, and most likely has safeguards in place in case someone tries to steal it or tamper with it.

Eld_Tiger, jonasquinn, rdfox and 6 others like this.
  4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    Nope.

5. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Why do I get the feeling everyone will try to blame him for their own missing space-fleets?

AtomicGeneral25 likes this.
  6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

You can't blame someone for something being missing from you if they haven't taken it, or if you didn't have it in the first place.

Though I'm sure some idiot will try to do that.

Hey Zoat are we ever going to see an interlude focusing on what 40k OL has been doing since joining the Tau, aside from getting rid of those gene stealers?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  7. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Anything with enough juice to make it into space is automatically a WMD.

Jaron, Prince Charon and Vaermina like this.
  8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

If it doesn't have any WMD type of weapons on it then I don't think it counts as one.

9. Galacticplumber

Galacticplumber Not too sore, are you?

Because if that nonsense counted all forms of space program, satellites, telescopes, hopefully terraforming missions, and the necessary repairs for all of those things would be illegal and.... no.

Ardy and Darko like this.
  10. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

That's a somewhat interesting point, though with an obvious solution.

Anything in space has enough potential energy to crash back down to earth with devastating force. As such, they are certainly able to cause 'mass destruction'. They are, however, not classified as weapons because that is not their primary purpose, for much the same reason that a scissor or knife isn't one, but a dagger is. Though both can stab, one category is built as a tool with an incidental application for applying hurt, whereas the latter is built for that.

And with super-expensive equipment such as space stations etc. or even the rockets needed for space flight, it simply isn't feasible to use them as devices of mass destruction.

Even if you wanted to do that, you would have to, A, either directly launch the space vehicle at the target directly after launch from orbit, and at that point you might as well no bother and simply use an ICBM; or B, you set a mass in orbit, then you spend money, time and manpower to keep the mass in orbit, then spend money on another propulsion system to bring the orbiting mass down on the target fast enough, and may have to shoulder further costs if it requires exercise course correction and the requisite fuel, or other maintenance. You would also need quite a bit of these to get proper covergae of the Earth. On the the other hand, you could simply invest in inter-continental missiles with an actual payload and a not-significantly longer ETA.

I am not particularly knowledgeable about rocket science, and this is somewhere between applied facts and educated guesswork.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Xmaster3000 and Ardy like this.
  11. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Vaermina breaking a treaty doesn't automatically lead to war.

Anyway, you still haven't answered in which episode/storyline/season of YJ it is revealed that the US is building a military space fleet.

BoML, Ardy and Darko like this.
  12. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Extra space.

I'm not going to rehash what everyone else has said, but I'm going to add another point to it: Even if that treaty is stricter in this world than in the real world (and it might be!), this still isn't a violation (yet), because it's not a military action. At the moment, it's officially a diplomatic action, and no one can prove otherwise -- even if the ships have weapons aboard, they're going to meet up with a vessel that is also armed, so it could be argued to be reasonable safety equipment instead of an implement of warfare. An ambassador on foreign soil can have bodyguards, and them having to take action isn't an act of war,

Now, should any fighting actually break out, Russia's response will be important. Because if it DOES get construed as military action... well, it was mentioned that violating the treaty doesn't automatically mean war, and that's true, but it does mean that any other treaty signatories are going to want to avoid looking like they support Russia, so they'd lose allies in a hurry.

And if THAT happens... Well, I hope that the US military has a skunk works project for space combat hiding in a secret facility somewhere that they haven't been telling anyone about. (But if it doesn't happen, then I hope they don't.)

13. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic I trust you know where the happy button is?

So the Russians have a Space fleet.
    well that's going to start a whole new Space & arms race

I sure as hell hope the American Program isn't Project Artemis

no not That one or this one

14. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Well duh, that’d mean they’d have to admit they made it up!

Darko likes this.
  15. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    The Russian President is going to announce that they're withdrawing from the treaty and that they strongly encourage other countries to do the same. He's also going to suggest a coordinating body for space-related weaponry, because naturally they're planning on having the weapons point outwards.

16. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Zoat seems to have answered most of this for me already.

As to the rest, the US would have the wreckage from every alien invasion the Justice Society fought off, they would have the recovered ships from the Apalaxian invasion, we know from Flashpoint they have the wreckage of Abin Sur's spacecraft, we know from Captain Atom they have that particular crashed alien ship

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The Justice Society may not have fought off all that many, or any since I don't remember Alan mentioning fighting aliens in this story, alien invasions in Earth 16, plus there may not have been wreckage left, or if there was it was too damaged to be of use.

The Apalaxians are energy beings that used special host bodies to invade the Earth, they may not have even had a ship. Plus there were only a handful of them.

They had his ship in Flashpoint yes. This isn't Flashpoint, so the ship is probably in the hands of the Guardians after they sent someone to retrieve it or something like that.

Even if Captain Atom got his powers in this story from a crashed alien ship that doesn't mean they know enough about that ship to actually build more space ships. If it crashed then it's most likely damaged and they most likely lack knowledge of how it works, materials to make more of that ship etc.

They managed to give Captain Atom powers, but they may not be able to build space ships.

Ardy and Cuchulin like this.
  18. Xelloss

Xelloss Know what you're doing yet?

Is that a British thing ?

19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe.

This isn't exactly the first time he's had a character start a sentence only to pause and have the follow up word start in bold.

Xelloss likes this.
  20. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

Mr Zoat would appear to use '..' as a pause/break in a sentence, and '...' as a broken end to a sentence. This is the first time I've run into this, in quite a lot of reading, but it's as logical as any other part of English.

One of the interesting bits of the science fiction of the 20th Century with its alien technology was humans being able to reverse engineer it. Except, in a few authors like A. E. van Vogt, where it could be so weird humans had no chance.

You might want to think about the human tech of the late 1990s and 21st Century. A lot of it relies on nano-precise materials, even though we've not (yet) got true nanotech. Could earlier 20th Century science have figured out how those worked, with just the (broken) remains? It would, at least, have been amazingly difficult. This ignores the possibility of whole new chunks of science, maybe needing math to do them that humans don't (yet) have.

Unless the US Govt. has someone like Doctor Sivana working with them to attempt to figure-out the alien tech, they would seem to have little chance. And, government doesn't tend to trust super-scientists. And, with good reason as they can do stuff others may not be able to repeat, even if they don't outright break physics.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    Xelloss, Ardy, Cuchulin and 1 other person like this.
  21. Enochi

Enochi Having way to much fun with AI.

So... How many different spaceships does the US have? I know they were testing them in the GL comics. And I seem to remember more then a few in Superman comics as well. Not to mention doesn't the US have some kind of deal with an extra-dimensional magic nation or something?

Its really hard to keep track of what the priority system is for Zoat's story at times. I know (Well at least think I know) that YJ canon beats everything else but after that I don't have a clue (Least I am assuming this is why we have a very weak version of Superman and lots of idiot balls going around) Does anyone else know?

Vaermina likes this.
  22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

They may not have any space ships that they can use in this story.

There is Starmans ship, but they may not know about it, there is only the one version of that ship and it may not be armed.

Britain has a deal with a extra dimensional nation in this story, not the US, and magic has a difficult time working in space the further you go from a magic rich world

Ardy likes this.
  23. david

david Getting sticky.

Because if you want a competent and advanced defence of the planet you either get countries competing or you unite the Earth under one banner. Both options change the status-quo and make the world unrelatable to new readers so of course no hero would support it.

24. rdfox

rdfox Know what you're doing yet?

If that's true, then Elon Musk needs to start signing various non-proliferation treaties...

Vorian, Darko and Cuchulin like this.
  25. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

And if nobody had spaceships, that argument might hold.

But here the argument is a couple of countries, with fractional budgets, who have had access to their crashed alien ships for 50 years less then other countries have spaceships but those other places somehow don't.

It's basically the Wakanda problem, only without the magic metal to explain away everything.

Cuchulin likes this.
  26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Russia may have gotten lucky and got access to ships they could reverse engineer while other countries got ones they couldn't.

The Chinese are trying to reverse engineer Durlan tech and may not be having all that luck in making space capable vessels, even if they have access to other types of tech.

Americans also love superheroes and think they're the issue to alien invasions so finding funding and a budget for creating a space fleet may have been difficult.

Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  27. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Sorry, are you saying that Young Justice America did have a space fleet in the works during the cartoon, or that in your opinion they should have one? Because the way you phrased it before made me think you meant the former.

Cuchulin, Ardy and Lupercal like this.
  28. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Nobody is going to veto a budget proposal for studying alien technology.

That goes doubly so for the US military, who even in real life have spent large chunks of money investigating things like ESP and UFO's.

Cuchulin likes this.
  29. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

Ah, the men who stare at goats.

It's probably the hardest pitch anyone's ever had to make to get a budget approved, ever.

Relyt33, Cuchulin, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  30. Diraniola

Diraniola I trust you know where the happy button is?

So I ignore content from Vaermina, but it's interesting reading the comments and seeing the shadows their post casts upon the thread.