1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Worm: Who else has read it?

Discussion in 'General' started by Master of Squirrel-fu, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Crypsis

Crypsis Getting sticky.

I like how some of the villain tinkers aren't just unscrupulous, they genuinely don't seem to get why anyone would see anything wrong with their horrendous crimes against nature fascinating experiments.
    I've got a soft spot for Burnscar, though. The psychopathy feedback loop thing is delightfully fucked-up.

2. Disminded

Disminded Versed in the lewd.

Toni, I think. Most of my exposure to Whatley comes from reading Tansy Running High by Drakensis. If you want to get into Whatley, I suggest reading that. I could probably make it through the main series now, but only because that story made me care about the characters first.

3. Xicree

Xicree Destroy and Rejoice!

Yeah... Canonically Jack Slash is supposed to look kinda like Johny Depp and give that 'I'm totally a bum' kind of air.

And... CRAWLER!!! <3
    ~mindless cute babble~

4. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

So... Next chapter (30) has been announced to be the last and teh end of Taylor's story.

I've started reading this not that long ago and this is already reaching the end...

5. Scia

Scia Not too sore, are you?

Well already is a bit wrong with the length of the series. Its after all A game of Thrones and Tolkin together or roughly a bit more then half of the Wheel of Time if you go by word count.
    And well I started reading it somewhere in August if I remember right.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  6. WizardTwo

WizardTwo Not too sore, are you?

Uh, no.

I don't understand this mentality at all.

If something is very long, but is really damn good and interesting for its entire length, whats the point in ending it just for the sake of ending it?

Its a web serial.

It can be as long as it wants.

Worm is fucking epic, ending at ANY point is really sad.

You can always create new side-stories, add more plot, switch points of view. Whatever.

I burn through an average 300 page novel in about six to eight hours of reading. So one or two evenings at most.
    Finding a deep and complex world to read and get absorbed into is HARD when you're done reading everything there is about it in a few hours.
    So I like my writing LONG.

Worm delivers.

7. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

Yeah, but Worm's been marked by a steady escalation of threat levels through the duration of the story; given that this last arc involves the hero of the story recruiting basically all of her former antagonists to take on the most powerful enemy in the world of the story, I'm not sure where you'd expect it to go from there.

I mean, sure, maybe you could write a story with a new protagonist set in the superpowered feudal society that seems to be implied to come about after Scion's killed, but that's not really a superhero story, now is it?

8. WizardTwo

WizardTwo Not too sore, are you?

I'd fucking love to read about a super powered feudal society after an apocalypse. But that's not the only route you can take.

The story of doctor mother needs to be told, and her epic fight with the first entity decades ago, when she saved the world, before anyone had powers, she took down a scion grade entity. She became the most powerful person in the world, despite having no superpowers, just so that she could save it. And then after climbing so high, she died in the dirt. An epic story for sure.

And that's just ONE way to expand the story. There are DOZENS. In a universe which explicitly operates on a multi-universal model, where those universes can talk to each other and travel between them is possible, you dismiss continuing the story because you can't think of any way it could be expanded that would be awesome? You lack imagination. The setting explicitly has alien races, many of which were exterminated by the entity and their tech was stolen for its tinker powers. The sort of crazy awesome sci-fi setting possible in the wormverse is just mind-boggling. Wildbow has created a deep and engaging universe. With so many possible routes to expand the story, it would be sad to see it end.

Anyway, the guy was complaining that its really long, and that he thought that was weird, and that it should end because its long, not because its a good point to end within the narrative, only that its long, and took him ages to read, and so it should be ending soon.
    And I think that's crazy.

9. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

I thought Wildbow stated that it's the end of Taylor's story, but he's going to be doing more writing in the setting? ie Worm isn't ending or there would be sequels/prequels. Because everything has an end.

10. chrnno

chrnno Time Traveller

More or less, he said that while he will be doing those afterwards he intends to explore different stories for a while.

11. Scia

Scia Not too sore, are you?

At was more about the impression that worm is not already long. Which is not a bad sign as the number of doorstopper series in my room can attest to. But as it has been already stated that would only be the end of Taylors story. Wildbow has stated that more shall be written about the verse, which is for example why we never learn anything about the SLEEPER was that one plays a important roll in the sequel.

And well it also prevents him from burning out on it if he is able to step back for a moment because he already stated over a year ago that he had a planed endgame. Or would you have prefered if worm one day ends in the middle of a storyline because he burns out like so many other on-line authors?

12. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

I got the perfect quote to that feeling, told by another author.

So yeah, I don't mind it ending.

Now, I hope Taylor can survive the ending. And Tattletale too. If either died at this point...

13. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

I'l have to take a look at this.