• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

XF2 testbed now available

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is fucking bizarre, I swear I checked like three times because I was actively looking for it and though it was weird that it wasn't there. Maybe I am just blind
XF1 calls it Start Date instead, you were probably looking for that.

Several updates have now been made to the testbed:

- The Froala editor now has the full-screen option available
- The TinyMCE editor has been updated for a UI more similar to the current one, and also now supports tables
- The similar thread search on thread creation has been disabled

Currently we're thinking to run the final transition within a week. However, tweaks to the final install will continue after the transition.

Ahem.
You for got to disable it when reading threads, or at least make it disable-able from preferences on a per person basis.

Edit:
Or better yet make it a button. You click it and it opens you a new page with a list of results.

Last edited:

- The TinyMCE editor has been updated for a UI more similar to the current one, and also now supports tables

Currently we're thinking to run the final transition within a week. However, tweaks to the final install will continue after the transition.
So what themes have been ported?

Ah good, tables are now mostly supported. That is good to see, still lacking the ability to do a bit of the more fiddly things with them, but the core functionality is there and that is what matters to me.

Ah good, tables are now mostly supported. That is good to see, still lacking the ability to do a bit of the more fiddly things with them, but the core functionality is there and that is what matters to me.
If you want to do precise manipulation, you can switch to BBcode and do it there. (This is currently required to make TH header cells.)

I'll be trying to add more detailed support after the transition, but this is one of several possible development priorities, so it might be a while.

I've had generally good results pasting tables from spreadsheet programs (including Google sheets) so the header cells etc. all just happen as I format them elsewhere.

However, there is an annoyance. When I try to resize a pasted column (e.g. because the fonts are different and the forum's font doesn't fit the previous cells) there are two issues.

1 - The resize cursor + drag implies that I'm going to get a resize to wherever I drop the column line, but after dropping the column seems to expand by exactly one (1) pixel.

2 - After expanding one (1) pixel, an interface widget pops up right over where I was dragging, so dragging a 2nd time means I need to change focus from the column I wanted to expand.

It would be great if the WYSIWIG table widget which is produced by pasting a table from a spreadsheet would allow me to resize columns more conveniently.

I've had generally good results pasting tables from spreadsheet programs (including Google sheets) so the header cells etc. all just happen as I format them elsewhere.

However, there is an annoyance. When I try to resize a pasted column (e.g. because the fonts are different and the forum's font doesn't fit the previous cells) there are two issues.

1 - The resize cursor + drag implies that I'm going to get a resize to wherever I drop the column line, but after dropping the column seems to expand by exactly one (1) pixel.

2 - After expanding one (1) pixel, an interface widget pops up right over where I was dragging, so dragging a 2nd time means I need to change focus from the column I wanted to expand.

It would be great if the WYSIWIG table widget which is produced by pasting a table from a spreadsheet would allow me to resize columns more conveniently.
Is this happening on mobile? On desktop this seems to work fine.

Is this happening on mobile? On desktop this seems to work fine.

Desktop, browser is Firefox.

I'll try pasting some simpler tables, maybe it's something about the merged cells or some other formatting thing.

EDIT: okay narrowed it down a bit.

fv6brw.png

See that thin grey line between groups of columns? It's a column itself, empty except for the background color, and at minimum size.

I wanted to expand one of the text columns, the one left of the thin grey column. To do this in a spreadsheet, I just grab the left-hand line of the thin grey column and drag it right. This bumps everything to the right, preserving width of everything except the column being expanded.

In XF2, I can drag the line where I want it, then it snaps back and gets bumped over 1 pixel.

If I drag the left line of the thin grey column to the left, expanding the grey column at the expense of a column with text in it, the movement happens normally. But I don't want that. I want to expand the table width by expanding a column within the table, bumping everything else to the right instead of just moving the line inside a fixed-width table.

=======

Put another way, it seems like column adjustments always come at the expense of a neighbor in XF2, which is not how spreadsheets work.

I can expand the whole table by dragging the enclosing box, which expands all column widths in some proportion, and then go through and narrow down every other column than the one I wanted to expand ... but that isn't a great UX especially for a larger table than the trivial one I posted.

Last edited:
Put another way, it seems like column adjustments always come at the expense of a neighbor in XF2, which is not how spreadsheets work.
Oh, yeah, this is the XF2 table editor behavior (usually).

I'll look into whether that can be changed.

Also, as a note, merged cells (colspan/rowspan) don't work at all in BBcode, so if you post a table like that you'll get a bunch of empty cells and broken alignment. This is an inconsistency between the rich-text editor (which assumes the full HTML text model) and BBcode's more limited capabilities.

For some reason, I've started hearing an ominous, drumming music. I wonder why that is.

Excited to see XF2 on the site proper, though I'll likely be tripped up by it for a month.

Does this new update come with alert summarising? Like on SB or SV?

everal updates have now been made to the testbed:

That's very good. I'm hoping the buttons could also be edited so that the "more options" dropdown lists are just naturally in the textbox.

Though there is still the issue that it is VERY hard to notice when a rich text is being used (bolded/italics/etc.) because the only indicator is a REALLY minor brightening of the icon. Need to make the icon change more obvious, either a more intense bolding/glow, or make the color change to a distinct hue when an icon is being used.
It's gotten much better. I very much appreciate having the color button having that "retain the last used color for instant click-edit" option. Very nice.

I'd say for 99% of convenience, the TInyMCE editor is just missing the "insert edit image" (I don't need this on a laptop, but on a phone? This is the ONLY way I can add pictures while on a phone), and the "Quote" and "Insert Spoiler" buttons. Having to manually type those is hell, so definitely needed on a phone (on a PC at least I can copy the bbcode or something so it's just ctrl-v to what parts I need).
Also, please add a "Save draft" and "Delete draft" options. TinyMCE is definitely missing that. Ideally, there is a very obvious indicator of when it is activating.

I personally don't use smilies and special characters, neither with unordered and ordered lists. But I sometimes use "indent" when I'm writing, especially on character sheets and other data posts when I want to put some subordinate rule or related minor information/data below a more important entry.
With those, that's basically every button I reliably use on the qq textbox.

Minor bit of error: sometimes on fullscreen on the TinyMCE editor, whene I click one of the dropboxes (the color palette, or text size, or text font, etc.) the dropbox appears on the bottom of the editor rather than sprouting from the icon.

ALso, request for both textboxes: put the "Edit BBcode directly" mode on the far far right, away from the FUllscreen button, enough distance that accidental misclicks are unlikely. IF you misclick the fullscreen button, you just click it again to opt out. IT's just a view change, so reverting is instant.
But accidentally clicking the bbcode button suddenly makes the entire textbox change fundamentally as the computer runs a bit of data to convert the text to bbcode, etc and you can't stop the process. (also, the bbcode editor starts out really tiny and you have to expand the borders yourself on a PC to an acceptable size. This cannot be done on a phone)

Last edited:
The test bed refused to send me an email confirmation code when I tried to log into it, just a heads up.

Yeah, the testbed has E-mail sending turned off. This is somewhat necessary for a test installation, but it's inconvenient for people who have two-step enabled.

All good, at least there's an explanation that shouldn't carry over into the proper transition tomorrow =)

Is the Blackened-Green style going to be on XF2? I've grown quite fond of it because the color scheme looks way better to look at than the other style here including the default one.
There is a version of the Blackened theme for XF2, so it should just be a matter of someone getting it and making the necessary tweaks for the extra stuff QQ has.

FontAwesome support like we have here on XF1, please? , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . For the pokemon fans like myself, of course.

I would suggest adding the ability to filter threads by wordcount, especially for tags.

Does the move also support emojis like SB and VS does?

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back