1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Youjo Senki Discussion and Criticism

Discussion in 'General' started by Elmithian, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Space Penguin

Space Penguin Boring person

Have read some chapters of the manga. its superior to the anime. The anime designs for the main 2 female characters is bad.

My comment about the bitching is how some commenters on youtube or whatever call her evil because of that. She is a bad and interesting person. But LOLevil? Nah. She gave those 2 soldiers a chance to return home. They became even more disobedient. In those days, she would have been completely within her rights to execute them.

2. Elmithian

Elmithian Prolific Procrastinator

Indeed. I completely agree with you and honestly, I feel like many comments I come across on youtube (and sites that host the series) have a lot of ignorant babbling and name calling of her actions among the people commenting thus.

Sure, she is full out apathetic towards other humans, but she isn't evil. She values efficiency above all... preferably efficiency where her/his life isn't being put in danger. Insubordination and unwillingness to follow orders during danger is something that can easily lead to the death of the entire unit. And not following orders and risking her life are two of the main things that she hates most of all in the world. Nothing evil about that.

It is not like she actively is throwing someone in front of her to work as a meatshield, literally at least. She sees the inefficiency with just sending units out to die and has on multiple occasions shown and suggested methods that lead to minimal risk of casualty on the front lines on top of seeing the importance of keeping morale high, so efficiency remains high (if you have read it, remember her thesis on food storage depots).

All in all, calling her evil is a misnomer. She is a highly functional, pragmatic sociopath with strong obsession to efficiency and following rules (usually to the letter).

In all honesty. I would prefer to be working under her than someone that would let me slack off constantly. I personally hate slacking off while working. I feel like I am not working for my pay proper when that happens. Heck, when I was younger I even asked for permission to work for free for a day or two as the past week before there had been almost no work that was required to be done. (I had a tendency to feel extreme amount of guilt if I didn't live/work up to expectations when I was younger)

And to be honest, most wars are morally grey as fuck (exception is large chunks of mid and late ww 2) and there is no good or evil side. Sure, one party may do more questionable actions, but if we actually look at the history and the actions a lot of the "good guys" did, even in WW 2 we see a lot of screwed up shit that would in non-war scenario be defined as pure evil. But as I said before, wars lead to things being extremely morally grey.

3. Space Penguin

The reason is very simple. To viewers/readers/whatever. everything is edgy and grimderp. everything. Even taking a shit is edgy and grimderp. I'm being serious. I have seen people say that Imperium merchant ships carrying manure and shit to farming worlds is edgy.

Tanya is such as hubristic character so sure of her superiority and assuming things. I love it. I mean just look at translation of her "recruitment" poster for her battalion:

"We will always guide him, never abandon him, forever bounded to walk an unyielding path, onto the battlefield. All for the sake of victory. The mages we seek will head to the arduous battlefield, draw a pittance of a wage, live a gloomy life pelted by hails of bullets, shouldering unbearable risk with no guarantee of survival. Upon your return, fame and glory awaits."

She clearly does not understand the era she is in and how people there think which is uber patriotism and nationalism aka victory or death!

4. Elmithian

Well, there seem to be a lot of people nowadays that have the attitude "You are either an enemy or an ally" and there is no path in the middle or somewhere between those two.
    Kind of baffling really. Reality isn't so simple and one should avoid creating labels as a method of trying to avoid facing actual reality.

Even I when I was younger I wasn't that naive (and I was bloody incredibly naive).

Anyhow, yeah, I love the misadventures Tanya gets herself constantly in due to her "Genius" ideas (and these are misadventures, even if those sometime look like huge victories for the Empire). Honestly, she reminds me a bit of Cain from Warhammer 40k, except Cain really didn't want to rise up through the ranks the way he did. Though his "bad"-luck is more benevolent than Tanya's in my opinion.

And yeah, that recruitment poster is so patriotic that it really transcends anything else. Plus, when one of the greatest (still) living hero of the Germanic Empire is recruiting for sorcerers and the recruitment poster is like this? Hell fuck yeah they are going to swarm to her like flies. Even if one wasn't a fan of her at this point, the "apparent" honesty, directness and patriotism in the recruitment poster would surely change their mind. Heck, this is literally the battle-thirsty volunteer's wet dream.

kalifianto and MHLord like this.
  5. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

Today's episode of Youjo Senki was brought to you by the letters A, B, C, and D for Dopes without airforces.

Also, Tanya had harsh mocking of enemy in that transmission at the end.

Tea and MHLord like this.
  6. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

So, this is the anime about the guy who's such a dick that God sends him to an alternate universe WW1, right?

>be a dick in life
    >get sent to Hell
    Checks out.

7. Elmithian

Pretty much. But what he did in reality wasn't really being a dick as much as just being efficient and not allowing continuous tardiness and not attending work without explaining or letting the company know (which is the reason the person in the first chapter was being fired).

Yes, I am being a bit obnoxious, but what he did in his previous life was not dickish. If a personnel continuously fails to live up to the standard expectation of the company, not even letting them know why he isn't doing his work proper, then that person will get fired, simple as that.

I wouldn't do it the same way he did it admittedly. I would have first given the person a stern warning and if his behavior continued to be lackluster, I would have fired him without a question, I wouldn't have even given him the option of "quitting the job". I would have fired him and he would have had to carry that black mark with him whilst looking for a new one.

...This of course does in part depend on the explanation the person gives, but continuous tardiness and inability to let the company know when you have to take sudden days off is not excusable.

kalifianto and Valette-Serafina like this.
  8. Nekraa

Nekraa Nekraa Moderator

That's how I thought it went though?

Unless the company was a strange one, the guy should have gotten at least one warning the first time he didn't come or was later without giving a reason as to why (or insufficient reason). Been a while since the second episode though, so I might be mistaken.

kalifianto and Elmithian like this.
  9. Elmithian

I am more basing things on what is said in the manga than the anime. Especially since I ain't gonna be watching it any more. Though I do think he said "even after repeated warnings..." So I guess he is even more tolerant than I am to this kind of stuff.

I gave it the 3 episode chance and since I feel like it is kind of mediocre in comparison to the manga and the LN I won't continue with it... though people are completely free to talk about the episodes after that here. I don't really mind spoilers for the anime.

10. TheOtherSandman

TheOtherSandman Well worn.

Honestly, one of the most hilarious parts is how incredibly petty both Tanya and God are.

God: So you don't believe in me? Well, let's see if I can make you believe.
    Tanya: Fuck you, not-God. Ready for Round Two?

Or how Tanya always carries her rifle around just in case she gets the chance to shoot Being X in the face.

Thinky Think, kalifianto, Tea and 5 others like this.
  11. Biigoh

The manga has hit into the prelude to Darcia Dukedom invasion... also, Tanya has encountered the fact that she's been wearing an ornate cross since the training of her brawny meatshields, also she wants to die.... after being pitied by Captain Ugar and given consideration by the female doctor.

[​IMG]

Also, I keep looking at this image from the manga and for some reason, I'm seeing Tanya as Fate/[series] Modred.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    kalifianto, Tea and Elmithian like this.
  12. cross_grave

cross_grave Belligerent Spitire

Petty much? She dislikes being pitied to such an extent?

13. Biigoh

More for the fact that they seem to be pitying her for puberty.

14. cross_grave

Aaaaah.

15. Elmithian

That happened in the latest part in the LN or the manga? I must have missed that part.

16. Biigoh

Manga chapter 11..

17. Elmithian

I am guessing you are talking about part 2 of the 11th chapter that, as far as I know, hasn't been translated(/released to the public). I mean, we do not get a single thought from Tanya in the 30 first pages of 11th chapter that have been released by the translation team. I mean, how can you see that she realizes that when she doesn't even vocally or mentally even mention it once?

There is no mention of her being annoyed over being pitied for puberty by anyone in the manga. You must have read it in the LN and not in the manga. I just went through chapter 10 and 11 just to be sure. Though I do remember her mention somewhere being furious when she realized she was bringing that cross with her. But I am pretty sure I read that in the LN.

18. Biigoh

Been out since last week on baoto.

Elmithian likes this.
  19. Elmithian

Oh? I suspected that it was out but only the first 30 ages had been released on mangahere and mangareader. Gonna go check on it the moment I get the chance. :D

Biigoh likes this.
  20. Elmithian

Hmmm.... wow, I had gone through the untranslated version of the 11th and 12th chapter in the manga before, but it is nice to get a bit more info than what I could discern from the images alone. Though I still do love how the other parties always misunderstand Tanya's attitude and what she says. XD

Plus, loli fanservice ahoy! Quite daring considering that there has been very little of that in the manga until now except for the moe moments (the "awwwww" and "She is too cute when she smiles" moments).

kalifianto, Xicree and Biigoh like this.
  21. Biigoh

Indeed.... Being X has his claws deep in the poor innocentTanya, Heroine of the Reich Empire. :3

Xicree and Elmithian like this.
  22. Nolrai2

Nolrai2 Can't count

Tanya thinks she is playing nines men moris, but really god is playing spider solitaire.

23. Biigoh

Episode 7 was good... Mary Sue showed up, her tragic backstory is complete. Her father is dead, her country defeated and occupied, now she but needs God to talk to her and tell her to fight for Freedom and Liberty as the next Joan of Arc. :3

Also, chapter 12 of the manga is out on Bato.to... ah hahahahahahahaha!!!! Xicree might even get a new avatar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Kerfirou

Kerfirou Cultivating Dantian inside a Star

Btw, nobody makes comparison of this from the LN ones?
    [​IMG]

And yeah, I also prefer the Manga and LN style. It just looks so much better.

I'll still watch the anime, though.

25. Space Penguin

Ok, her praising God in the first pic is a bit weird considering her dislike for Being X and belief on no God but that can be put down to her just doing it unconsciously as people who don't really care about god or religion sometimes say "Oh my god" or "thank god". Also, from what I heard, Being X and Tanya are far more antagonistic towards each other then in the LN or WN and that later he gets forgotten or something...(not sure)

Still, she is far more savage in this new chapter then in the anime. I love it!!

Biigoh likes this.
  26. Gideon020

Gideon020 Writing a novel.

I dislike how they made a recap ep after only six episodes.

ultima333, Tea and Xicree like this.
  27. Space Penguin

28. cross_grave

...What the fuuuuuck is with those faces, Jesus Christ. Is that really from the manga?

29. Elmithian

Yes. You only read the LN and/or watched the anime?

30. cross_grave

More of the latter, actually. Clearly I should expand, though.

Nolrai2 and Elmithian like this.