1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

At least we now know who public hero #1 on that Earth is.

Please tell me she still has her Happy End with Wee Hughie. Those two deserve it. Also, did Butcher not like Saul and try to kill him out of paranoia or not?

Prince Charon and Bramble Thorn like this.
  2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Actually, it's the pilot who was ordered off shooting down the plane that destroyed the Golden Gate Bridge. He's been on a lot of talk shows.
    Yes, though unfortunately for her she's still with Vought-American American Consolidated, as he convinced her that things can be fixed.
    Butcher was strongly considering it. Unfortunately, Saul submitted himself for arrest while he was killing Homelander and proceeded to heal the survivors of the attack on the Pentagon.

Caerwen, Badass6969, Drode and 9 others like this.
  3. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Hopefully it can be, but it probably won't. Maybe she should just ask if she can be in the same team as Saul.

Darko, Badass6969 and Prince Charon like this.
  4. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

The fact that Indigo Paul was probably the ONLY person that could be truly considered a superhero MUST have driven Butcher up a wall with paranoia.

HUGHIE: Maybe he actually IS that nice of a guy?

BUTCHER: BULLSHIT HE IS!:mad:

5. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic I trust you know where the happy button is?

Not butcher, Stillwell.
    James Stillwell tends to cover all his bases and Killing off Bradley so she can't talk isn't out of character.
    He was probably counting on her trying to kill herself since he was setting her up as a patsy to begin with.

the worst part is she Knew he was going to do something like this when they both were pushing to be the new CEO.
    Stillwell only put token effort because he knew things would blow up with Vic the Veep becoming president.
    Homelanders rampage was a bit out of left field but he had contingencies in case that happened.
    of course they were less put homelander down and more cover my own ass.

actually Voight or after the boys American Consolidated is in a bad spot.
    everyone hates the "heroes", Stillwell had it hammered in his head that they were bad product,
    Hughie is carrying on the Boys mission and has all the blackmail material they collected.

so things can get a lot worse for Voight.

IIRC the kids he's mentioning are the members of Super Duper minus Malchemical.
    can't remember if Sauls girlfriend was the Voight Handler or aunty sis.

oh wow the G-men was a complete shit show, john godolkin fucked them up as kids and then they became monsters.
    Voight "cleaned up" the mess by slaughtering the G-men and their Branch teams.
    Although Saul may have prevented the Fate of the Pre wiz kids, I doubt Stillwell is about to push him on that.
    beats shoving the kids in a shipping container and dropping them in the ocean around iceland.

Well I guess Silver may have a happier ending since she's alive and hopefully reunited with her father.
    but the girls going to need all the therapy.

yeah the boys is pretty much a how horrible can we make the world of heroes.

6. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Saul, Super Duper, Silver Kincaid, any surviving members of the G-Men, that Batman/Iron Man expy if Saul was able to cure his brain tumor and prevent his death, Starlight, and any other actually decent hero. That could make for a powerful and morally good team. Too bad Saul would never go for it.

Badass6969 likes this.
  7. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

I approve of this message.

Drode, Gantradies and Just a guy like this.
  8. Mr Zoat

Though guns are a great leveller against low-mid tier supers. He killed a team prior to his augmentation with a gun and a bit of clever planning, and the US airforce won against Homelander's coup with depleted uranium and power-seeking missiles.

9. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

I was kind of hoping that Saul would cure Tek Knight's brain tumor.

Although I didn't read that particular bit, he was a Batman/Iron Man type, and unlike most "superheroes" in the Boys, he was "nice but boring."

Then he got a brain tumor and he became like one of those dogs that tries to hump everything that moves, and everything that doesn't move for that matter.

10. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Well of course. If you aren't durable enough to stand up to gunfire, it doesn't really matter if you can shoot lightning out your face.

Admittedly, I would not consider that a "Fight" between a Normal person and a Super. Though I'm also used to, and have years of issues of, the US army throwing every god damn thing they can think of at the Hulk with little to nothing to show for it.

I don't know anything about this Homelander or his powers but if he's an evil bastard like several posts have suggested....I'm guessing....Superman analog?

11. Mr Zoat

There are degrees of analogue.

There are straight up rip-offs, there are 'Superman but' like Supreme Power's Hyperion, and then there's someone like the Plutonian who fulfils a somewhat similar role but very obviously isn't the same man.

Homelander's official Voight-American approved cover story is that he's from the first group. He's actually from the third, emblematic of the sort of lunacy and degeneracy which runs rampant through the The Boys superhuman community. Yes, he's an arsehole and by the end a mass murderer, but you can sort of see how he could have been better. Okay, we know from Flashpoint that if Superman had grown up in a bunker strapped to a nuclear bomb he'd still have been a nice guy, but Homelander has been told from birth that obeying Voight is good and that outside of that bubble he should indulge in whatever way he wants.

zeebza, Badass6969, Drode and 9 others like this.
  12. IndigoAbyss

IndigoAbyss Isaac of the Abyss

I WANT more Indigo Lantern.
    I finally got the reference about Paul having sex with corpses.
    Which considering the fact that he's in the Boys universe, doesn't surprise me not even a little. Though this entire thing was really funny to me. ''Hey! Wanna kill yourself? If you do, I'll violate your corpse!'' Shit had me cracking.
    Hope to see more of Saul. Also wondering how's Power Ring doing.

13. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Well, I think we can safely say OL's afterlife is not going to be consisting of rolling boulders up hillsides or getting his liver pecked out by vultures, no matter how pissed off Zeus may be at him.

I don't think Sacrifices are like society membership dues, where your membership can lapse if you aren't paid up. I think they are more like the difference between between being a member and being a member in good standing.

When Hades heard billions of new converts he spoke in the color of avarice, so they're obviously worth more than just bottle caps.

Theurgy Users; privileged connection to the Source. They were in the matrix rigs so Asmodel/Smiley could use that connection to spoof their own Theurgical permissions.

I'd suggest 'bare' as in 'bare him a child' as much more modern. 'Dam' sounds like something exclusively applicable to pets and livestock nowadays.

infinityDivided, Navi-Hank and Ardy like this.
  14. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Bare is wrong - bear him a child, means carrying a child to term, so not quite the same thing as dam / sire. You can’t say “She is his bear”, but you can say “S(he) is his Dam/Sire.” Neither can you really say “she damed him”, but can say “s(he) bore / sired him.”

Bramble Thorn and Navi-Hank like this.
  15. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

I thought it was in fools cannon, but apparently not cause I can't find it.
    I think it was an omake or something.

DrThoth and NightmareWarden like this.
  16. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

You can say ‘she dammed him,’ I believe; this very fic has a part where Grayven explains his ‘family’ to the Amazons saying “Orion, dammed by Tigra” which is roughly the same structure.

17. Threadmarks: Ways and Means (part 1)
    Mr Zoat

Ways and Means

24th January
    11:12 GMT

I take a look around Barnard's Star System. Not a great deal here, to be honest. One tiny red dwarf only a little larger than Jupiter, and one frozen dustbowl of a super-Earth. I haven't actually bothered coming here before precisely because there's nothing interesting here. And I'm reasonably confident that humans in general won't ever do anything with the place. By the time we get good enough faster than light travel to actually go anywhere, we'll have far better options than this.

Thanks to my rings I'm perfectly aware that there are examples of successfully colonised super-Earths… But that one doesn't have the sort of mineral resources that would make overcoming a surface temperature 150 below zero worthwhile. There are.. some volatile elements down there, but nothing that would make a convenient fuel. And forget solar power; Barnard's Star is the fourth closest star to Earth and it's still so dim as to be invisible to the naked eye. Colonising some of the Sol System's moons would be easier. An artificial habitat would be more useful. This is just.. kind of.. here.

"So? How are you enjoying freedom?"

As far as I can read his expression, my companion isn't any more impressed by the place than I am.

"Very little."

Yeah, I suppose…

Lantern Xor accelerates, flying down towards the impression in the ice left by the crashing of the ship which brought him to this region of space in the first place. I'm really.. not sure where they were going. His species lives quite a way further towards the galactic rim, on the Perseus Arm. We're on a rough line between where they're from to a number of places, but it's still quite a long way to cart a bunch of prisoners.

"Alright. What did you think of the court process?"

"It was inefficient. I was in prison for a quarter year while they investigated events whose cause was readily apparent."

"Oh, come on. I saw where you were living. That was hardly a prison."

He turns his head to glower at me for a moment. "A pretty prison is still a prison."

I suppose for someone as honour-focused as him, the slight caused by what must have felt suspiciously like a presumption of guilt would have been objectionable enough that it spoiled the positive aspects for him.

"Did you learn anything?"

"Yes." He comes to a stop about forty metres above the ground. Whatever surface water was melted has long since refrozen, though with no precipitation the larger parts of the wreckage are still exposed. "I do not like being punished for things that I have not done. It does not matter to me whether those punishing me believe that I have done it or not."

"I was hoping for something a little more profound. Have you developed an opinion on how a judicial system should work?"

He huffs. "What is there to say? A liar can lie in a heartbeat. Or take many days to say nothing, and force others to wait for them." He raises his right hand. "Can this ring make people honourable? Can it make their codes make sense?"

"The ring can do anything you want. But before you act, you should understand what you are asking."

He scowls, but he isn't scowling at me. He's scowling at the stupid, over-complicated universe he's forced to live in.

"I am honourable. I know I am honourable. When I do wrong as I know wrong I accept punishment. I exchange guilt for service or for pain. But I have behaved honourably, I have obeyed your people's law-rules and still your people say I am bad."

"You know that it's not that simple."

He takes a newspaper out of subspace and throws it at me. "See what they say!"

I catch it in a construct and take a look at the cover. Hm. The Patriot. An article covering his absolute discharge. It's… Well, it's slanted, which is to be expected given its target audience and the fact that most of the people he killed or crippled were from the area. But I can't see any factual inaccuracies.

"Yes? You did.. kill quite a few people. You can't really expect their community to be happy about that."

"They should have trained them to have better morals. I was force-educated to be a weapon and I would not attack someone who was not an enemy soldier."

"So is that the take-away? Do you want to take that approach, teach people the virtue of personal responsibility?"

"No." He wiggles his head. "Yes. I don’t know. No."

"Xor, you've had four months to think about it."

"It is difficult."

"Xor, I'm your instructor. If you need help learning something, talk to me. Tell me what it is."

He doesn't reply. Instead, he thrusts his left hand forwards and scans the wreckage.

Okay… "Question for you. You have a house. The house is on fire. The house contains every object that you value." He grunts quietly in acknowledgement as the ice vanishes. "You have time to remove one thing from the house before it and everything left in it is destroyed by the fire. What do you remove?"

"Are things that have been destroyed in the house?"

"Yes."

"My armour, from when I was a Warhound. Normal fire would not harm it, but this fire is made of philosophy."

"It's the most dangerous kind."

I wait a moment. John checked this ship out not long after it crashed here. No survivors, but there are bodies down there. Xor was confident that all of the crew got out and he was the last prisoner to evacuate, so I'm working on the assumption that whatever killed them was the thing which triggered the evacuation in the first place.

"Interesting choice. Why the armour?"

"My armour was personal. Its scars, my history. It means more than any weapon, and is more useful than any other memento."

"Why the armour… And not the fire?"

His excavation beam blinks out. "What?"

"Why not the fire?"

"You said I could take out one valuable object. I do not value fire."

"No, I said that you could take one thing. The fire was in the house. Xor, I think we need to-."

"Incoming ship detected."

Xor and I both turn to look upwards. Not that we can see it from here, but I suppose some instincts are ingrained. Ring-scans show the ship to be an Ungaran… Looks like an old ore-hauler. Odd place for it to come-.

There's an explosion, and the ship jolts in space.

And I'm mildly pleased that Xor is accelerating upwards without needing me to order him to. But I still arrive first as I transition to the ship. An orange construct patch over the hole will prevent further atmosphere loss…

"Orange Lantern to ship-."

Another part of the hull blisters and explodes, a red figure drifting out of the resulting hole. Male humanoid, a white theatrical mask covering his face, his hair appearing to be made out of fire and his arms looking like claws made of flames.

"Who are you and what-?"

"This is my ship, I found it, it's mine. Get lost."

"Either you can explain yourself better than that, or-."

The figure extends their right hand towards the ship, space… Wavering as its hull begins to fall apart where it's pointing. At least seven members of the crew are still on board.

"You're-"

My destructive pulse hits the figure in the chest and knocks it away from the ship.

"-under arrest."

He rallies, apparently unhurt. "Like fuck I am."

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  18. Mr Zoat

Grayven visited the setting in an omake.

19. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Looks like Paul is going to have his first real argument with the Controllers. Exactly how long ago was it when they made Effigy? I assume he was a failed attempt to create their own analogue of the GLC.

20. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'm finding the lack of corpse-fucking in this segment odd, but I think I'm coming around.

21. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

He's simple, He's not pratchett simple.

22. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You know Paul... Lying to the guy who just finished an impassioned speech about how he detests liar's probably isn't the best idea...

moralrelativity likes this.
  23. Huttj509

Huttj509 Getting sticky.

I think OL's being metaphorical (as well as the Pratchett reference). If you have issues with many aspects of human behavior, there might be a root cause that would be a more appropriate target to focus on rather than all the individual bits that bug you.

24. Belenus

Belenus Versed in the lewd.

You know, even though I disagree with quite a lot of Paul (and presumably Zoat's) philosophy, I do always enjoy reading these chapters. You have a way of presenting the ideas that enhances the story without being preachy.

25. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

"Alright. What did you think of the court process?"

I was in prison for a quarter-year while they investigated events whose cause was readily apparent."

The local paper of the town that got torn up?

...the fact that most of the people he killed or crippled were from the area.

The joy of moral quandaries.

An informative question...

Indeed.

Wait, what?

And that says so much about OL. Deal with the cause, not the effect.

not 'an Ungaran'? Or is it some complex pronunciation that makes it count as a consonant?

And for once, the explosion is not at the END of the post... :D

Oh, this is going to be fun...

Hmm, suprisingly little wanting, if it's not orange.

Oh, not a good first impression...

Well, someone is going to have a lot of explaining to do...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  26. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

Technically fire isn't a thing to be removed so much as a chemical reaction that affects other things.

But then again, this fire is made of philosophy. XD

27. oct9010

oct9010 .

Sounds kind of... Burning Martian-y.

Was there ever any followup on what the Controllers did with the surviving Burner in the ship he sent them? I couldn't find anything after the first Controller he met calling it a "fascinating specimen" from a cursory search of the story-only thread.

28. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

So did this guy fuck up Xor's ship as well?

Also, another human, really? Earth is ridiculous.

29. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Hey now, Effigy is the Controller's fault.

They came to Earth to do cattle mutilation, some anal probing, and superempowering, you know, the usual alien things on an Earth holiday.

30. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Bramble Thorn likes this.