1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I know, but I can't work out why.

2. AverusBlack

AverusBlack AKA Aisling

Because the joke was bronies watch it for the plot.

The plot being pony booty.

3. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

I think the problem with Sunset, and to a slightly lesser extent Twilight, is that magical talent is what they were told drew Celestia's eye, the school they were at least nominally associated with during their time under her direct supervision was focused on magic, and both of them presumably had an interest in magic (twilight's confirmed, I don't have Sunset's backstory in the same level of detail).

All three uses of that word are in relation to the traditional discipline as taught/used in equestrian academia, scientific, and presumably engineering circles.

Harmony as Celestia understands it is distinctly unrelated to that, and based more on emotional connections focused through potent artifacts of power with their own hidden agendas.

Now sufficient study could probably allow you to tap into similar forces as the artifacts, or make similar devices yourself, but nobody really get s chance to do that.

Celestia raises these kids to be total study freaks, and then acts squirrely when they turn to those same skills that have stood them in good stead so far.

It's rather a self defeating approach.

4. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

Doesn't the Threadmark text usually make a reference to 'renegade' when the story shows Grayven?

Or, is there some logic I'm missing, here?

Should that be 'right'?

Pony philosophy can be interesting...

5. Vorian

Vorian Versed in the lewd.

right?

Missing quote.

6. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

"Hey guys, I'm the Antilife, what's uuuhHOOLY SHIT!"

"RAINBOW LAZORS!"

Sunset: "Oh Faust damn it"

7. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

8. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

could just mean that

And she'd have known that

9. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

10. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Was King Sombra anti-life? He did destroy the Elements Of Harmony. He only lost because he got the idiot ball and started to monologue instead of killing the mane six right away.

Istaran, Relyt33, Ardy and 5 others like this.
  11. FeepingCreature

FeepingCreature Not too sore, are you?

Also, just improving the joke through sheer definitional coincidence, a "plot" in the geographic sense is technically a tract of land.¹

¹ Well, if you ignore the fact that "plot" means "small area" and "tract" means "large area" anyways...

Navi-Hank likes this.
  12. Agumentic

Agumentic Not too sore, are you?

I don't remember a lot of MLP, but wasn't Twilight's Element the Element of Magic? Being very good at magic seems rather connected to being able to wield the Element of it.

13. Mr Zoat

Twilight isn't actually that good at magic by the standards of most fantasy settings. Her thaumokinesis is very strong but that's about it. Starlight Glimmer is far more capable.

In addition, Twilight didn't get a lot better at magic between being unable to activate the inert Element of Magic and actually managing to activate it. What she gained in that time was an appreciation of the ponies who accompanied her.

I suppose that it's not so much 'Friendship = Magic' and 'Friendship = Arcane Permission to use Friendship Powered Megaweapons'.

14. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

Yes, friendship is what allowed Twilight to awaken the Element of Magic, and recognition of her new friends' virtues is what allowed them to awaken the others. But then what happened is that the potentially world-altering superweapon immediately activated. Because it's a children's show we assume that the Elements just do what they're supposed to, like a reverse monkey's paw, but it's probably more likely that the Elements need to be directed, and presumably that requires an instinctive and powerful control of magic to avoid "oopsing" the entire planet.

(Edit): As for proof, and how Celestia would know this? At this point I have to descend into wild conjecture, but we know that, in the "modern" MLP era, Celestia and Luna need to manually raise the Sun and Moon, and that ponies collectively need to manually change the seasons around. A system like that couldn't possibly evolve on its own, meaning that it's a state of affairs that has been put into place "recently" in a geological sense.

Now, we also know that Celestia and Luna had to activate the Elements of Harmony in the past, to seal Discord and stop his rampage of Chaos magic. It seems to make sense to me that, when Celestia and Luna did this, that they stopped all the Chaos, including the chaotic systems of Nature, forcing them and the ponies to become defacto nature spirits to keep the planet from becoming a wasteland, frozen on one side and baked on the other. I further presume that the two of them coming to this realization is where the Hearth's Warming story comes from, since the story depicts a continent frozen in ice, something you might see if, for example, Celestia and Luna hadn't quite gotten into the habit of raising the Sun every day and the continent was plunged into a night that lasted for a few days/weeks.

Since it's boring to assume that Celestia is just an idiot, I presume that it has to be that way, and that Celestia must have figured this out over the dozens of generations that she's been working to restore the Elements and find a group of ponies that can use them that isn't her and Luna. It would make sense that the connections that restore the Elements had to be genuine, in a "who you are in the dark" way. Informing the ponies involved that the Elements could be restored in this way could undermine how genuine the connections are; just look at Sunset's own words here:
    It's possible, likely even, that forming "friendships" solely for the purpose of studying them might undermine the purity of the connection and prevent them from restoring the Elements in the first place. Again, I assume that Celestia must know this, since she's had a thousand years to work on the problem and likely thousands of failures in that time to show her what won't work.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  15. Handlewithcare

That still needs friendship as a power source though

Cuchulin, Relyt33 and Alexandercctv like this.
  16. Mr Zoat

Possible, but as far as we know, at that point Twilight has no experience with magic artefacts. Certainly, none are mentioned at any point. Celestia was also quite pointedly not telling her about the Elements of Harmony and she only learned that they existed that day. I don't think that her skill would be relevant.
    Strictly speaking, we don't know that they 'need' to do that. For example, Yakyakistan has plenty of snow without ponies making it and wherever the kirin live has perfectly nice summers. Honestly, that whole thing looks like a combination of pony OCD and a Cloudsdale pork barrel.
    The Hearth Warming story explicitly says that the sun and moon used to be managed by teams of unicorn ponies. Which means that Celestia and Luna must post-date that necessity.

If it's necessary at all. In Fallout: Equestria all that happened when they stopped is that day length became a little variable and there were occasional eclipses.
    If it was the power source, wouldn't it be consumed and force them to become friends from scratch each time?

17. DbDRAKE

DbDRAKE Possibly some sort of Actual Dragon?

I unno, a valid reason for the not telling bit (to me atleast) It's way harder to be genuine in friendship or feeling in general if you are doing ti to get somthing; even if that somthing is good in itself.

IF you want more people to have frendship superweapon powers, not telling them about it might produce better results.

Cuchulin, Navi-Hank and Ardy like this.
  18. Mr Zoat

Or it might result in the superweapon sitting in an abandoned castle for a thousand years.

19. DbDRAKE

DbDRAKE Possibly some sort of Actual Dragon?

Fair enough.

But if you want people not to think about a pink elephant, the last thing you do is tell them: "Don't think about a pink elephant!"

20. david

david Getting sticky.

Honestly, I think the villains who have been locked away for a millennia+ get a pass on monologues. You can only stew in your own hatred and plans for revenge for so long before you start planning out speeches.

21. Handlewithcare

Nah, Friendship is one of them "The more you share it the more there is" deals.

Like wealth, hope and disease.

22. Handlewithcare

Btw, question: can a motherbox create something? Rearrange matter into technology or food or clothes or whatever?

Navi-Hank and Darko like this.
  23. Navi-Hank

Navi-Hank An engine fuled by spite

She can also just explain that that won't work, and you need genuine True Companions for it to work, and if they can't stop obsessing over it long enough to have some human interactions then they don't deserve to study it. He'll, just saying that there are magics that can only be accessed when synced to another person should be enough.

24. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

It occurs to me that sunset knows about Grayven using fear and avarice as power sources right? is it that much of a stretch that Equestria uses friendship as an equivalent power source in a similar way?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  25. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

In the comics, absolutely. For example the second time Superman fought Doomsday, he had a Motherbox. Among other things it healed Darkseid after Doomsday beat him within an inch of his life, outfitted Superman with gadgetry, and then healed Superman and his costume after the battle was done.

Here, I assume Zoat doesn't want the uses of a power ring and a 'box to get blurry in story.

26. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Well, at the end of the day, even if Sunset wants to study friendships, she still has to form them, and that’s it. Even if she’s made friends to study sociological Madrid or whatever, she still made friends.

At the end of the day it won’t matter why she did, since as long as she isn’t so far on the sociopath scale that she is unable to empathise, she’ll realise that meaningful emotional connections are, and pardon the Department of Redundancy Department, ‘meaningful’.

27. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Is Fear or avarice consumed every time grayven or paul uses their rings? unless you want to use the beloved New 52 canon where the emotional spectrum can be used up ala relic.

28. Siiracai The Supernal

Siiracai The Supernal Shadows and Balance

Look at us, talking about magical friendship nukes in a story about a dimension travelling human with a piece of deadly emotion powered magic space jewellery.

29. dreaddragonking

dreaddragonking Getting out there.

I can't wait to see the cast of MLP having to deal with someone like Gavin, i can just feel that its gonna be hilarious

30. Handlewithcare

Thanks!

And ain't it grand?