1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

It's 40k. There are no good guys. The whole setting is designed to be as laughably fucked as possible.

But on that note, argh....he's joining the facking Tau?!

Oh OL, the heresy....it burns!

2. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Daemons? I thought he meant like hidden weapons or something?

3. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Oh, it's just something terrifying: Check the ring's response for a hidden link...
    Still, it could be worse. Said threat could be a chaos-tainted version of said threat. And such things existed in 1st edition (minus the Tau part) complete with demon-possessed leaders, And said possession could be anything from a Nurgling to a Bloodthirster...

Ardy and Handlewithcare like this.
  4. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

A little disappointed he's playing with the Tau. I mean, I can see how it makes sense, but it's so cliche and predictable.

Though I feel the safety justification is a little off. Like, the only threat he listed that he might be safe from is the random psyker accidentally summoning a daemon. Pretty sure all the other threats could just as easily show up in Tau space as Imperium space. And even then maybe the daemon thing can still happen in Tau space. Don't they have some Human worlds in their empire?

I think I'd at least try to work with the Imperium before making the jump to the Tau.

Maybe the Tau have good waifus?

5. frozenchicken

frozenchicken Here to Read the Articles

Counterargument: There are no humans in 40k. There's a whole bunch of horrible alien races, one of which is a tyrannical empire set on creating a Fifth Chaos God of blind faith and xenophobia, that happens to share it's name with humanity. ;):p

My actual point is, 40k is a grimderpy morass of competing canons that was created to make any combination of tabletop game battles seem like a plausible event. Nobody is a good guy, there are good reasons to oppose every single faction, and the nature of 40k means that if you're telling a story that tries to fix all the big issues in the universe you'll end up eventually having to defeat every single one of the factions including whichever one you've allied with, because each contains the seeds of its' own progression into a Big Bad of the story.

6. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

The Tau have barely any warp presence and no psykers. Tau worlds are about as safe from cultists and random possessions as the 41st millennia gets. Worlds towards the centre of their empire also have large fleets.
    Eh... Sort of? They aren't anything like as human-looking as those pictures suggest, but they just miss being uncanny valley. Think that woman in the Playstation advert.

Jaron, KenNM, Bramble Thorn and 8 others like this.
  7. SirKaid

SirKaid Know what you're doing yet?

The Imperium of Man are literally genocidal fascists. The only time that it is morally acceptable to work for fascists is as part of the process of escaping from fascists. Given that he has a power ring he doesn't need to work for them to escape from them, making it morally indefensible to spend so much as a single second in the corpse emperor's service.

So since the Imperium is utterly unacceptable, his options are either hiding somewhere (which would be kind of a waste, but Spider-Man can suck it, nobody has a moral obligation to help people) or picking another faction to work with. Well, technically I suppose he could learn how to turn construct Orks into construct rings and found his own faction, but that's a bit forward thinking considering the whole "no sleep, everything wants to kill me" thing.

The Orks are fight happy loonies. The Eldar and Dark Eldar are genocidal smug racist loonies. The Necrons and Tyranids are genocidal. Chaos is even more utterly unacceptable than the fascists, which takes work.

That leaves the Tau, who are caste based space communists and the only faction that isn't super duper mega evil all the time. Even in the later editions with the mind control stuff they're still leagues and leagues less evil than everyone else in the setting.

8. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

He is trying, but considering these Tau have genestealers among them he is probably reconsidering his options at the moment.

Joining the space communist and using the low key emotional mind control to subvert their resources and set them in a cooperation mood is a fairly good idea, even more so when factions of the Eldar will inevitably contact him as well.

9. Hidden Variable

Hidden Variable Know what you're doing yet?

Joining the Tau is prolly not a good long term goal. I know they seem nice and fluffy but humans don't have much in the way (if any) when it comes to rights under the Tau, most being conscripted/'recruited' Gue'vesa and second class citizens. Better treatment is present on neutral worlds that don't care either way, but those are usually not part of the tau empire. In other ways the Tau are too nice and naive to stand any chance against other factions military-wise without a much greater tech advantage. The imperium is enormous, the tau empire has only survived thus far due to the imperium being busy with more important things than dealing with 'Those upstart xenos on the other end of the galaxy.' Depending on when this is set the Tau may not even believe that the warp or Daemons exist, as they don't use warp drives except in more recent media. Yes humans are generally happier under Tau rule, but believe it or not, the current model of the imperium is more about resource production and survival than happiness. Also 10,000 years of war fatigue.

Would have been better off finding an unaffiliated human world or just dealing with the Mechanicus. Without the authority of the emperor any actual improvements to the imperium would take centuries if not millennia to make it through the labyrinthine bureaucratic nightmare of the current imperium so they are off the table if Paul wanted to make an impact within his lifespan, unless he got unrealistically lucky. Maybe working in the background with the harlequins or other such unaffiliated rogue agents that tend to be used to progress the plot of 40k.

Zoat might be trying to show us that the ring can't detect whatever cloaking tech they use. The Tau are sorta already under emotional control because of the ethereals and whatever they use, pheremones or whatever. Dealing with the Eldar is usually a bad idea, as they are far less reasonable than would be in their best interests. They are intelligent, yes, but most of them are about as arrogant as you would expect hyper-intelligent space elves who once ruled the galaxy to be. That is, arrogant enough to ignore the stupid humans unless doing otherwise would result in eldar deaths.

Edit: Nvm is the stealers.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    KenNM and Bramble Thorn like this.
  10. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Hmm. Maybe Paul just uses the ring to restore the Emperor's flesh? I'm sure nothing bad could possibly happen if he did that.

And if Tau waifus are like the girl from that Playstation ad . . . Well . . . I wouldn't say no.

Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  11. Enochi

Enochi Having way to much fun with AI.

Finding one of the "good" Primarchs might be his best bet. And of the Tau I think Farsight? would be his best bet.

Huh wonder if he could find either of the two 'lost' Primarchs.

Darko and Hidden Variable like this.
  12. some one

some one I trust you know where the happy button is?

the Imperium is authoritarian (this is further encouraged by the grim limitations of the FTL travel and communication tech) but it does not fall under the definition of fascist but archwarhammer explains it in detail far better that I can , here is the link to his video

Mr Zoat, Cuchulin, DAT_NOOB and 3 others like this.
  13. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Oh. Das bad.

Well, if he uncovers a hidden infestation that should secure him brownie points wth the T'au at least, right?

The problems would come from the Imperium itself. For one reason or another most factions would hunt him down. He would never be safe unless he managed to get a decree from Emps himself. Guilliman might work too, though not as secure.

14. Hidden Variable

Much like the fantasy snips, this is prolly going to be pre-gathering storm. So no guilliman, sometime after the tau empire started expanding, though likely somewhere between M.38 and M.41

KenNM and david like this.
  15. Orabilis

Orabilis Vidi, Vici, Veni

I am not worried about Zoat's interpretation of 40K since I think that having the first Tau (whom the SI thinks are the most preferrable faction) he meets turn out to be a genestealer cult is a good storytelling move. It somewhat upholds the tone of the setting and introduces a new and interesting subfaction to play. It allows us to see how this SI behaves when dealing with one form of the near constant internal threat present in the 40k universe since we have been exposited to about his methods with external threats with these Orcs.

However I do find it pretty interesting how heated everybody got pretty much immediately and I question if it is worth spending time on writing 40k fiction since people are always going to complain about it when it doesn't match their exact headcanon. Still as long as you are happy about it Mr Zoat then keep on keeping on. I look forward to interesting stories regardless of where they are set.

16. Mr Zoat

I'm fairly sure that they've fixed the security since Jaq Draco broke into the throne room.
    That was more of an example of how disconcerting they look than a literal description.

The first digit is the reliability. '0' means that the date comes from Earth directly. The next three are the year fragment. The next three are the year.

17. Valiran

Valiran Seeker of fluffiness

Late 3e, actually.

Considering the fact he has a power ring, he’s probably going to have a lot of clout for someone who isn’t a Tau. Especially if he finds a way to reverse-engineer archeotech for them.

Do you have a source for that? I keep seeing this claim but no one ever offers a source on where they got it. For all we know it was moved by warp storms during the Age of Strife.

18. Mr Zoat

You mean, like the kroot are slaves? Slaves who go where they want, do what they want, regardless of what the tau say about the whole 'eating people' thing? Who build their own ships and guns and dismantled their advanced technology in a way not at all compliant with the Greater Good?

Dark Crusade said that there were 'rumours' of tau sterilising humans. But it showed humans equipped by the tau and operating as part of their military. How many tau were shown alive in the other endings? The fall in the human population could just as well be explained by having a planet of fanatical xenophobes fighting tooth and nail against their alien occupiers, even after the Imperium's armies had been defeated.

The tau have a 'don't take alive' list. Tyranids, orks and marines are on it. Eldar were on it, then got taken off after they met some eldar who aren't Urien Rakarth. Regular humans aren't.

19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat what is the violet lantern SI been up to?

Is there a version of the SI with the white ring?

20. Mr Zoat

I didn't even know there was one.
    Not at present.

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Is there ever going to be a violet lantern version of the SI?

What about a white ring one?

Cuchulin likes this.
  22. Mr Zoat

I have no plans for one at the moment.
    Assuming that nothing changes, exactly one.

23. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

I thought they got distracted by noticing what exactly was hailing them and had to catch their breath.

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  24. Rukkileib

Rukkileib I trust you know where the happy button is?

Aren’t the Kroot closer to mercenaries with an exclusive contract, anyway? The Tau control the homeworld, and get some kroot to fight for them, but the kroot are noncompliant and can’t be practically forced to comply.

As opposed to say, the Vespid.

25. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

...still better off than the poor sod with the slave ring.

26. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Grimnar

This post is to remind you to not take 40K too seriously. It's fine to not like some decisions taken in fiction, but there's no reason to get that heated about it.

27. Railhazar

Railhazar I trust you know where the happy button is?

Well, I truly pity Paul. Warhammer 40K is one of the worst place to land for someone who is very
    proactive with correcting what he considers flawed or damaged.

This universe is labeled Grimdark for a very good reason.

The whole universe is crappy and will only get worse. Whatever you say, whatever you do,
    nothing will get better. The best you can do is to preserve the statut quo with the faint hope that
    things won't get too bad.

The Tau Empire may be the least moraly dubious. It doesn't mean they are nice or willing to listen.

Afterall, their "Greater Good", is nothing new. On earth we called it the "White-man Burden".

In fact, I think it is hilarious because they are still better than everyone else. Granted, in this
    galaxy, the bar is comicaly low.

KenNM, Simonbob, Ngamer11 and 3 others like this.
  28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Wonder if characters aside from the SI from these various universes will ever meet.

If Ahriman wants some pointers in killing stars then he could ask Darkseid how he got rid of Apokalips's sun.

Ardy likes this.
  29. Hidden Variable

Don't u judge me Mr author man, I'm sleep deprived and have a migraine, Its perfectly acceptable to make mistakes when reading hurts my brain-meats. Now that I know what time it is, yes, still pre gathering storm but only just. I think that means tau have that warp-gate thing, and warp drives, and an oncoming Death Guard crusade.

30. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

That turned out to be incorrect.

They have a warp presence and have started to birth psykers.

And of course their fleets while large, are generally worthless in comparison to everything else in the setting. Especially now that the Primarch's are returning and pulling out all the previously forbidden dark age technology.

It comes from official maps that move the solar system 20,000ly away from it's actual position.

KenNM likes this.