1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

I can't tell if they are believing him too quickly or not.

He is a stranger, he has shown bullshit powers, this is 40k so very little doesn't happen anway...

But thes are very blase about it either way. Which fits with the T'aus naive/arrogant behaviour, I suppose.

KenNM, MondayMorning37, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  2. Dakkan Sall

Dakkan Sall Random Encounter

Is this the intended word, or should it be "any more than"?

3. OrigamiPhoenix

OrigamiPhoenix Getting sticky.

Zoat himself doesn't know of evidence for sterilization. AFAIK, they only steamroll planets that pose a threat to the expansion of their empire.

KenNM, Lupercal and Ardy like this.
  4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

He transmuted himself some clothes.
    Plenty. You might not be missed, but the line is really long.
    BROTHER! Or.. possibly SISTER! I never asked.
    In The Box.
    Gravalax.
    There's a canon Genestealer Cult that actually does this.
    They're only banned from mating with tau of other castes. There's probably one water caste xenosociologist who's curious enough to try it.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Thank you, corrected.
    If only because sterilising them is far more work.

5. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Lacking a soul, he doesn't have a soul to corrupt, and his ring would allow him to resist physical mutation.

That is, as long as he stays soulless.

However, considering how many alt.Pauls have gotten a soul, he might get one too.

I'm not positive that it wouldn't happen eventually in any magic rich universe like the process with the tattoos, just much slower.

Zoat stated that consuming demons gave Sybarite a soul, and if he didn't have the innate ability to grow a soul when there's energy available, why would he grow one by accident?

KenNM, Ngamer11, Wetbananas and 7 others like this.
  6. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Wait if he can break into the emperor's throne room why didn't he?

Darko likes this.
  7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Assimilating demons and whatever Sybarite did to become a half demon could be completely different, so maybe he'll just assimilate demons without gaining a soul.

Breaking Into the throne room could be dangerous as the Emperor could try to attack him, or mind control him.

8. lancelot

lancelot Grand High Poobah

As you brought up aerosol dispersal, but it might just be an involuntary population control so they'll never be more zeno then Tau.

No I remember reading this in one of the newer books. Multiple times a race that has joined the Tau aren't useful in of themselves, resources or some piece of tech and beyond that their useless. When that has happened some terrible 'accident' will happen before a useful breeding population can leave the planet and kills them all. The mourn the terrible loss but quickly leaving the old shit and put up strip malls and shit because the 'accident' never makes the planet uninhabitable.

9. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Because Paul is smart enough that after he determines if he could, he stops to ask if he should.
    (Usually.)

Bold of you to assume 'or'.

KenNM, Deadpanwitch, Caerwen and 7 others like this.
  10. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

So since we’re getting back to ponies and unicorns...

Lately, I’ve been reading the Laundry Files series of books by Charles Stross. It’s a sci-fi horror comedy series set in a Lovecraftian modern-day universe where the main character basically works for the British MIB. Anyway, one of the freely available short stories, Equoid, has probably the most horrifying kind of unicorn I’ve ever seen in any piece of literature. It’d be amazing to see something like it implemented in a MLP fic.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    DrThoth and FeepingCreature like this.
  11. Mr Zoat

Unfortunately, those things aren't clever enough.

12. Simonbob

Simonbob Really? You don't say.

Space Communists, what are you gonna do?

Still nicer than almost all other factions. Eh, 40K.

KenNM and david like this.
  13. Massgamer

Massgamer Not too sore, are you?

Really enjoying how the Tau are being so open-minded about this in general and taking Paul's word as long as he gives good information.

KenNM and Prince Charon like this.
  14. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

I suppose it would depend on whether Zoat likes the Tau or not. I mean, in comics, Luthor is the very definition of stupid evil. Doesn't matter what happens, what godlike abilities he somehow obtains, or new super tech he comes up with. He ALWAYS tries to kill Superman anyway.

But, in WTR, Lex is a bit more of a sensible human being. A bit more.

Wait...there are still people who haven't put Vaermina on ignore?

15. lancelot

lancelot Grand High Poobah

Seriously isn't that the first thing someone does when they go from SB, to SV, and then to QQ. Really putting that fucking idiot of a troll on ignore should be medical advice at this point. Guaranteed to lower your blood pressure when you don't have to deal with bad faith arguments, LIES, out right trolling, and ignoring counter points that complete shut down his bullshit.

Rule ??: First things after signing up put Vaermina on ignore. Don't worry nothing of value will be lost.

Vorian, True Ninja, Caerwen and 2 others like this.
  16. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Well, aren't you an entitled, dismissive little asshat.

Are Orc Infiltrators a thing that exists?
    Like Green Skinned Brutes mincing around on tiptoes loudly whispering to each other "NOW BE VERY VERY QUIET!" in Ork Speech?
    Or is it more like Malfean Stealth, where scaring and intimidating them so much they pretend they never saw you counts as a success?

17. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

I put people on ignore when they make me angry and Vaermina doesn't really exceed exasperation as far as I'm concerned. I'm somewhat fascinated (and exasperated) to see what Vaermina will say next for much the same reason I've watched a couple of flat earth videos*; I'm not going to pretend someone doesn't exist just because they say stupid things.

*and I don't mean these ones.

Vorian and WereDragon like this.
  18. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

There is an idea... Because this Paul is assimilating orcs and every time they respawn the orcs dump their memories on him...

19. Mr Zoat

It's not so much 'the tau' as it is the handful of shellshocked individuals the SI has met so far, most of who know that he's the reason they weren't eaten by orks. No one he's met so far is senior enough to make policy decisions.

20. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

No, not assimilate, consume.

He doesn't have a lantern, so he eats demons to regain charge.

An influx of energy that somehow formed a soul, which is a structure of energy.

Zoat has the soul be like a body made out of energy.

Two things, so far, differentiate souls in this story, structure and composition.

New God apotheosis changes the structure of the soul so it can grow larger over time, like a reverse bonzai.

Composition also affects souls, since Zoat made Blaze not a half demon but a 100% biological human with a soul made out of Hell energy, likewise Alan was undergoing a transformation into a Will Elemental from his ring leaking, which his soul naturally absorbed like a sponge.

So Sybarite consumed demons, which provided energy, but what provided a shape for his soul?

Now I might very well be wrong, but sans another explanation, the idea that Sybarite had a latent soul structure but just hadn't been exposed to enough energy to form that structure seems like the simplest explanation.

Especially since the various Pauls keep going on about Earth-Prime not having magic (although Mysa Nal of Earth-Prime says hi).

21. desolatedsabers

desolatedsabers Know what you're doing yet?

ORKIE COMANDYS ARE VEWY STELFY. THEY PUHPUL. ALWAYS SNEKY, HOOMIES, SQUIDS, N ELVIES NEVA SEE EM.

22. Simonbob

Simonbob Really? You don't say.

Ork Kommandos, as I recall.

Yes, stealthy orks are a thing. A silly thing, but so are orks.

Bramble Thorn and caspian1a like this.
  23. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

When you dismiss the Tau as anything but fanatic military imperialists you deserve to be lol'ed at. They are explicitly a nation hopped up on their own juice, and snarling at the bit to take everything they can get their grubby mitts on.

KenNM and DAT_NOOB like this.
  24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Sybarite was said to be essentially like Satanus and Angelica, before her transformation, so his soul is just hell magic that behaves like a regular earth magic one.
    His biggest diffrence would be the composition, though yeah the structure also plays a big role, so he probably has similar avarice based powers like paragon, but instead of being just pure emotional manipulation it is more demonic in his case.

Zoat can paragon manipulate the emotions of those around him even without his ring, no matter how small that manipulation is, like making them confess what they want?

I know he can see the other colors, with or without the ring, but i was wondering if he could manipulate their avarice and desires without his ring?

Can the paragon travel through the Honden of Avarice without his ring?

Could all enlightened people manipulate the emotions of those around them without using a power ring, or any other such emotion manipulating device, or even magic, but simply by focusing and trying to stir whatever emotion they have become enlightened to in another person?

If a New God were to become enlightened then would they be able to manipulate the light they have become enlightened to, like Stewart 50 can, making constructs and having the other powers that light provides without using a ring or any device?

If a New God were to become enlightened even after they have some kind of Domain then would they lose their Domain, or become a god of their original Domain and whatever emotion they have become enlightened to?
    I think you said something about New Gods only being able to have one Domain, but that they could stretch it.

Will Highfather have white quote marks in your story?

Bramble Thorn, Ngamer11 and Cuchulin like this.
  25. desolatedsabers

desolatedsabers Know what you're doing yet?

sooo, do people forget that like, the imperium, an IMPERIALIST FANATICAL OGLIARCHY, has that entire system where your descendants can be punished for you failing to follow a command or something? like that book of the whatever the fuck, and the trials can go on long after the original people are dead. and servitors. and a whole bunch of other shit that every other faction has done, but when it's the imperium of man it's suddenly perfectly okay?

mossconfig, david and Darko like this.
  26. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

I am thankful we are leaving warhammer behind and going back to the regular programming.

27. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

They paint themselves purple I believe.

Because you've never seen a purple Ork.

28. Hidden Variable

Hidden Variable Know what you're doing yet?

Niether of the warhammer pauls are going to get a soul by traditional means. If they ever do get one it will be a complicated process likely involving high level spellcasters/psykers and possibly the help of a order-aligned god. As jury-rigging one like main Paul did out of available materials will either turn him into a chaos spawn or a daemon prince. That would probably be bad.

KenNM likes this.
  29. Mr Zoat

Not to a significant degree. And always to a slight degree.
    At will? No.
    All people can do that, so yes.
    No, but the Source provides.
    I'm not sure that New Gods have the same psychological mechanism.
    Probably not.
    [​IMG]

30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Thought that if Highhfather had white enlightenment then that's how he would get rid of the AL equation.

Barda said that he will be getting rid of the Keys fragment.