1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Jolly co-operation!

Wonder if any of the Pauls asked to not go back where they came from. 40K Paul certainly has reason to ditch his universe.

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Assuming Krona got him in the first place that is.

He may have seen some of the Chaos Gods and decided not to bother.

Still even if he got that version of the SI there is a chance he may want to go back, especially if he has some connection in that universe like friends or a goal of improving life.

Vorian likes this.
  3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I don't have specific plans for a Renegade episode.
    Not worth the trade.

4. cookiemontser

cookiemontser Getting out there.

Did OL lie to the other lantern when he said he didn't have any orange rings? He pulled one out of his pocket a few seconds later...unless he meant he didn't have any spare rings to offer.

5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Really think both Paul and Jacob, the mc of Assimilation, would get along.

Both are essentially adults that work on a team composed of teenagers, both get wonderful and great gifts for their girlfriends, Paul a space ship for Jade and Jacob destroying a criminal organization to get a machine that has data on Tamaranean culture for Kori, both were ordinary mortals before coming to the DC universe and were greatly changed, Paul getting a piece of the Ophidian as his soul, Jacob getting his body devoured by nanites and developing technomagical powers, both are somewhat awkward, but surprisingly charming and intelligent men that try to improve their friends lives, like giving them equipment and new powers or improving their already existing powers and may be trying to fix how the League works etc.

Plus Jacob is trying to make advanced tech more accessible to the public and is trying to help bring North Rhelasias tech level up to the rest of the worlds, things the SI is in favor of.

The renegade could also greatly help Jacob, seeing as he may be becoming an Avatar of the Metal, the elemental plane of machines and technology, or at least a powerful elemental of it seeing as Sphere, nicknamed Rommie in the fic, said that he reminds her of a Mother Box, and the renegade knows and has a lot of information on the developments of souls, so could help Jacob further develop his powers.

Jacob could also help them with whatever new tech he has developed as well as letting them scan him to see how his nanites, which are extremely advanced according to a scan by a power ring, work and how they can be further applied to various areas.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    Xmaster3000, Ngamer11 and MechaNova like this.
  6. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

I wonder how Marvel!Paul has been doing during this multiversal semi-crisis.

Was he captured with the other Pauls, or has he been busy with Xavier and Doctor Strange in helping David Charles Haller with his DID issues, or maybe informing Reed Richards and other super-scientists how their many world-changing discoveries aren't changing the world like they should due in large part to their patents being bought and then buried by large businesses who see them as "problematic" to their interests?

Xmaster3000, Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat said he may try to convince Doom to use his brilliance in the civilian sector, improving the world in order to one up his rival who claims he should be doing that while he doesn't really follow his advice.

He may also be trying to improve his girlfriends, Hela's, realm.

Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.
  8. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Verily! Ne'er doth English change.

Mumm-Ra

I'm pretty sure that was British deadpan sarcasm.

9. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    No, that doesn't sound very likely. Doesn't sound like me at all.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'sound like me' not 'sound me'

Caerwen and LurkingInTheDeceit like this.
  11. Mr Zoat

Yes, thank you.

12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

No problem:D

13. Siiracai The Supernal

Siiracai The Supernal Shadows and Balance

Every time that I hear someone say Maul, I think of that one Worm fanfiction called 'Mauling Snarks'.

Chojin Patriarch and Darko like this.
  14. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

And I think of the Sith. What's your point?

Ardy, Lupercal, Vorian and 4 others like this.
  15. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

Or things could go meta, and Taul’s fuck up could be “catastrophically fucks up in his role as the Time Trapper by successfully achieving his goal,Not getting redacted from the timeline and replaced,
    and accidentally breaking the chain of people inheriting the role/Metaphorical mantle of the time trapper”..

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    Vorian, JeckJack and Darko like this.
  16. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

Oof, that's going to be tricky. I mean, when it comes to matters of Ego, Doom makes Luthor look like a Buddhist monk by comparison. He's basically decided the World outside Latveria is unworthy of his innovations unless it accepts him as its Supreme Ruler, so Paul will have to make a VERY convincing argument for him to do anything that would uplift civilization in general.

Ngamer11, Vorian, Jaron and 1 other person like this.
  17. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

So what?

I am sorry you don't think it's worth it for Paul to try to save the literally uncountable number of lives that would die should Time Trapper's plan not work absolutely perfectly. But hint, it is worth it.

18. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

ZOAT HE USED THE BAD WORD!

Jokes aside, I don't like the term mantling either, because we've seen plenty of examples that godly powers aren't attached to concepts quite as tightly as such a concept would imply. By that description it could be Charles Atlas Superpowers, doing things in a particular manner begets superpowers based on it, that defy logic, magic and even deities.

This is my take on things, so take with a heap of salt.
    Godly Powers, in this setting, appear to be composed of two parts:

1) You Have a Soul (which is an Arcane Energy Construct linked to your mind and body) that naturally or via modification allows for expansion and growth beyond that of a 'mortal'. This doesn't even require being a biological entity, as even Red Tornado has a Soul, despite being a Robot. It doesn't even require sapience, as animals exist that have such souls.

2) That Soul is exposed to and absorbs ambient energies of a similar nature, such as earthly magic, demonic magics, heavenly magics, Godly magics of particular pantheons etc. These energies expand and merge with the core soul, adding power to the original nature of the soul, as well as aspects of their own.

As an example, Renegade's Artemis is doing New God things with a Pointy Stick Launcher because using a pointy stick launcher is part of her core self, and not derived from her new god status directly. Her core abilities were expanded by her godly status. This is unlike Celestial Archer, whom the bow he uses was a focus of his elevation to Godly status by the Goddess that gave it to him, as it belonged to Yi, her previous champion who WAS an archer. His Pointy Stick Launcher powers were bolted on to his core by the powers that he was given.

Similarly Renegade Jade, when given the option for new god status, wanted to gain a super power before hand, because that power would be attached to her Soul, then amplified by the godly powers.

There are plenty of Godly beings running around without being attached to Concepts like Conquest or Freedom. Most New Gods that aren't at the top tier are like that, but do have the advanced state to be beyond mortal. But those at the top seem to have an extra layer attached.

For the Big Names in God Powers, there seems to be a Third Step. An Extra connection Directly to a power source even further above the 'generic' deity levels. For the Old Gods, there seems to be (Based on some of what Hephaestus described) connections to the Titans, which had a direct link to the Dream. Hephaestus describes the Titans that came before the Olympians as being more powerful and more raw, having been created by primitive mankind attaching a personality to the raw elements, and that 'concept' forming in the dream before coming to earth. The Olympians are 'watered down' from the Titans by being the second generation, which is more mortal like then the first. Hades and Poseidon both draw power from captive Titans and has more power then your average Olympians because of it. Zeus is speculated to be the same. Those natures determine the powers they tend to add to the host, imparting part of their nature on top of the others. This is (in part) where I think some of the Olympians get their, to borrow a D&D term, Godly Portfolios from, as these powers are defined by their origins.

For the New Gods, that seems to be their Conceptual Connections to The Source, which we've never really gathered on HOW that connection is made or defined.

In both of those cases, we get another layer added on to the core soul, and the godly power attached to it, and it blends in to the others as well. Each carries part of it's nature over. When Describing Wonder Woman and Troia's Creation, OL describes the magical influences upon them from their 'parents' energies mixed together. OL and Renegade have both mentioned that Diana doesn't use the full extent of the powers she, as a child of Gaia, she should have, and that she should be head and shoulders above most of her Divine siblings.

It's the natures of the core soul, the ambient mana, and other sources of energy that make up the meta physics of godly beings. But this isn't a straight evolution. Each layer has different natures that flavour, and appears in different amounts in different individuals.

For Mantling, a Soul would be like an Antenna on a Radio, tune it right and you receive the signal from a source. Anyone with the same tune picks up the same signal.

From what we see in WTR, souls are like Perls, a core that builds up layer after layer. Sure some might look similar, but each is different in its own ways.

19. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

What, no database exchanges? Stupid.....

True Ninja, Jaron and Darko like this.
  20. Mr Zoat

It's time like this that you have to ask 'How much do I trust me?'.

Also, it happened off page, though wasn't anything like as illuminating as it might have been due to different physics systems.

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Still it may have been interesting if versions that ended up in YJ universes shared what they learned, because some of their counterparts may not have.

Did paragon figure out he is in the Young Justice tv show?

True Ninja likes this.
  22. Mr Zoat

How would it help if he did?

23. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Hint, the SI’s cost benefit analysis is very different from yours. And there’s nothing to say he will take unnecessary risks.

It’s an established part of Paul’s character that once he is convinced something is worth it/he wants something, he will go to incredible lengths in order to achieve, in a way that doesn’t compromise the rest of endeavoured, I.e. the human race.

Simply abandoning something as a bad job due to danger would mean we would still be living in caves.

Cuchulin and Lupercal like this.
  24. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

With the number of lives at stake even something like a 0.001% chance is too great a risk.

25. Idkusername

Power Rings are the best precision tools in the universe, as long as the method is sound, there will be no error.

Ardy and Cuchulin like this.
  26. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Except Time Trapper admitted the method wasn't sound.

Gantradies and Cuchulin like this.
  27. Idkusername

I’ve got something for you. Hear me out, it will absolutely change your life. And that something is... the scientific method. Seriously, what part of working together to research it in a safer manner do you not understand?

28. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Maybe you should read the story... Because that's not what they agreed to...

Further it assumes it's actually possible to get the risk to 0, which is an assumption without any evidence backing it up.

Cuchulin likes this.
  29. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Pity Paragon didn't exchange databases with ReneGraven, that would have really helped the SI avoid some big problems coming down the road and help him in various other ways.

Darko likes this.
  30. Idkusername

Maybe you should read the story because Paul simply agreed to help. Why would you think he wouldn’t take safety into account?

No, you are assuming that it’s impossible. You made the claim, the burden of proof is on you.

EDIT: If this was real life, then yes, I’d have to prove to you that it was possible. But it’s not. It’s a comic book story and you can assume that it will be possible to do it safely, no matter how difficult, unless specified otherwise when it comes to timeywimey stuff. In fact, almost any pseudo will be like that.

Last edited: May 17, 2020