1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

How I Saved History (Fate/Grand Order SI)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Charles Flynn, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Delta Green

Delta Green Know what you're doing yet?

I actually confused myself. Feudalism (the "proper" one with oaths of mutual assistance from inferior to superior Lord, etc.) is a 9th Century thing.

Chivalry is more like 10th-11th Century, when the Church realized that the highly militarized and decentralized society created (because you need sizable packs of warriors with local warlords everywhere to defend against raiders, unlike the Carolingian's "King has the BIG STICK army at his beck and call, Lords are local administrators with small retinues") needed some form of code of conduct in war because they kept acting... well, like the Samurai of the Japanese medieval periods (i.e. "feel like testing your new sword? Look, a peasant that nobody of import will miss!" and such.) [reminder that Bushido was never actually a thing until the 19th Century].

So the Catholic Church straight-up invented the code of chivalry (it was their third attempt at making things more peaceful, but the religious truce days didn't work) and popularized it by teaching it around Europe as an example to follow for good Christian Lords and Knights. Don't want to piss God off and end up answering pointed questions asked by Lucifer, do you? Follow the code at least, then. (i.e. "Stop murdering the non-combatants, you absolute dick!")

In the feudalism part, the Nasu Camelot, as described, is not dissimilar from the actual Carolingian model. The central King had the army of warriors and dispatched administrators. Vassal Kings paid tribute to their Overlord but otherwise were still Kings in their own rights (they just recognized that the central King had the bigger beat stick).

The "There's only one King in this Kingdom" thing is a later invention when feudal hierarchy solidified and establishing who was who's superior and inferior mattered for chain of command. (i.e. "The Duke of Artois commands the Flanders contingent because the King received his oath of fealty personally, even if the Count of Brugges is 2x richer and had 1000 more men under his personal command.")

Contrast with the Arthurian court where there were at least 5 Kings around the Round Table at any given time.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  2. Charles Flynn

Charles Flynn I trust you know where the happy button is?

Fair enough.

I still maintain that while the formalities of feudalism had not yet been completely ironed out, Camelot still followed the underlying principles, i.e. elite warriors call the shots and protect the peasantry, peasantry provides the food. Adding in how later chivalric epics may have retroactively influenced the era to introduce the concept of chivalry, and you get feudalism in effect, if not in name.

To be completely honest, it's somewhat impossible to ever properly adapt the Arthurian mythos without leaving in an anachronism or two. The genre is so heavily entwined with the chivalric romances that were written in the High and Late Middle Ages, when they wouldn't know historical accuracy if it threw down the gauntlet and challenged them to a duel, that it's nigh-impossible to wrangle a perfect, historically-accurate version out of the massive continuity snarl that is the Arthurian canon.

3. Threadmarks: Chapter 92
    Charles Flynn

I lie in the warm, half-awake state between dormancy and alertness, wrapped up beneath the covers, when a hand jostles me.

"Five more minutes, Dad," I mutter. Just because you get up at ungodly hours of the morning doesn't mean everyone else does!

"Senpai!" the decidedly female voice calls as she jostles me, and I sit up, suddenly a great deal more alert.

Gala- wait, no, that's Mash- takes a step back at my spontaneous rise.

Right. Of course it's not him. He's gone.

Everyone's gone.

Time to get back to fixing that.

"Mash. Good to see you again, although I'm unsure of the occasion." I say in greeting. Tamamo is still in fox form, lazily blinking and stretching at the foot of the bed.

"Oh!" she looks down. "Galahad switches back over to me when our body needs sleep. He say's it's impossible to get comfortable when you're wearing armor."

"So, why did you wake me up? And how long has it been?" I ask, grabbing my uniform jacket from the chair next to the bed and starting to straighten out the wrinkles.

"It's been four hours, Senpai. Caesar says that Jekyll is on the line, and wants to talk to you, so he woke me up and sent me to fetch you."

"All right. I'm on my way." I start to pull on my suit jacket, then look at Mash. "When do you plan on switching back over to Galahad?"

"Well... I was kind of hoping that I could wait until we had to leave," she says apologetically. "I... want to spend as much time as I have as myself."

"Fair enough." I say, heading out the door. "But I'll probably need him back with us soon. A couple of hours at most."

She follows after me, and I step out into the small hallway connecting the rooms of the apartment. From the sound of it, the children's bedroom is still barricaded from the inside.

Caesar's waiting for me at the dining room table, and wordlessly gestures for me to take a seat in front of the radio. I comply, and clear my throat.

"Charles Flynn, here. Is this Jekyll?"

"Yes, Mister Flynn. I do regret imposing this on you so quickly, but I must ask that you investigate something for me."

"Lay it on me, Doc."

There's a moment of silence, before he clears his throat and carries on. "I am a member of a small community of fellow scientists, who've managed to keep in contact via radio. We've been working together to investigate the Demonic Fog. Recently, one of my fellows, Dr. Victor Frankenstein, has fallen silent. I'm worried for his health. Could you investigate?"

I tamp down my urge to protest the existence of yet another fictional character in this Singularity, and instead ask the more important question. "Will Mordred be joining us?"

"She's already on her way."

I tilt my head slightly at his choice of pronoun, but decide against commenting on it. "Give us the address, and we'll go investigate."

He does so, and we're off, with Mash transforming into Galahad before we step out.

---​

The twisted streets full of monsters delay us slightly, but eventually we get there, and find Mordred waiting for us.

"Sir Mordred." I say in greeting.

He glares at me a little from behind his helmet, but nods slightly in acknowledgment. "Master of Chaldea."

The house of Victor Frankenstein is in disarray. The iron fence is melted and warped, and the door is in pieces, the area around it blackened as if by fire.

"I'm suspecting foul play," I comment as I take it all in.

"Really? what gave it away?" Galahad calls from behind me.

I left Lancer, Rider, and Berserker back in the apartment to hold down the fort, which leaves me with Caster Cu, Cursed Arm, Caesar, and, of course, Galahad immediately on hand.

'Cursed Arm, scout ahead.'

'As you command, my Master.'

"So, are we heading in?" Mordred asks impatiently.

"I sent Assassin ahead to scout. We should wait until he returns, so he can tell us if it's a trap."

He mutters something under his breath involving the word "buzzkill," which I pointedly ignore.

'Cursed Arm?'

'There is no trap inside, Master, but the situation is... unusual.'

'Dangerous unusual?'

'Perhaps. Proceed with caution, but I would recommend that you come to see this for yourself.'

"Alright, we go in, but we try to be polite about it." I command.

And so, I walk up to the ruined doorway, two Knights of the Round Table at my side. As I draw near, I hear from the floor above two voices conversing, one deep and rumbling, and the other deep and prone to laughing fits. I can't make out the words, but from the tone and the occasional bouts of screaming from the higher-pitched voice, I'm assuming it's some sort of hostile interrogation.

I knock on the dangling fragments of the door, and the deeper-voiced man stops whatever he was saying, while the higher-voiced one breaks out laughing. I hear footsteps above me, and start to make my way up the stairs.

"I'm afraid I'm not up for receiving visitors right now!" an entirely different voice from the two I heard before calls out loudly. "Please leave!"

I round the bend, Galahad at my heels. "Dr. Frankenstein, Dr. Jekyll sent us. He's concerned for your health, and-" I stop dead at the sight before me.

There are three men in the burnt, battle-damaged living room, between the splintered wreckage of the various bits of furniture. Only one them has all his limbs.

The first is pale-skinned, his smooth face twisted into a rictus of madness. His arms and legs have been ripped off, and he dangles by his colorful collar from the hook of a battered coatrack, which has a fifty-pound weight dangling from the hook on the other side for stability. He's covered in electrical burns and laughing like a lunatic.

The second is the head of a man who has the look of someone that became far too old far too soon, a heavily-lined face and gray hair staring out through the green-tinted fluid that fills the tank he's in. His body below the neck, however, is concealed in a narrow iron tube, which lets out regular, rhythmic rasps. A speaker and some controls are situated halfway down the tube. His face is slack, pulled back in an unending, soundless scream, as his eyes still dart wildly about him.

But it is the third and final man who holds my attention, who looks up with surprise and growing anger from where he stooped, fiddling at the controls of the life support coffin. He's tall, a veritable giant standing at about seven feet, and his entire body is forged of corded muscle, moving with an unmistakable power and grace. He's clad in a charred button-up, obviously custom-made, and he's unmistakably handsome. But his eyes. They're a deep, predatory yellow, devoid of any pupils or irises. And the more I look at them, the more I realize there is something indescribably wrong about them, even if I can't identify it at a glance.

I know who he is.

"Frankenstein's Monster?"

4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Who were the other two guys in there?

You changed the Monster to be more like its literary counterpart?

Welp im gonna miss Fran.

Popp3d, ComradeCpt, MaximusDM and 9 others like this.
  5. Charles Flynn

The man on the coat hanger was Mephistopheles. The head in a jar is Dr. Victor Frankenstein himself.

And yes, the monster is book-accurate.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  6. Delta Green

Poor Fran.

Still, if Caesar is historically accurate, I can't really complain.

7. Charles Flynn

Sorry to any Fran fans, but while I don't actually have anything against Fate Frankenstein, I still consider Mary Shelly's original to be a more interesting character than any of the monsters in the book's myriad adaptations. And thus, he'll be making an appearance instead of the Fate franchise's resident take on his concept.

8. Threadmarks: Chapter 93
    Charles Flynn

The Monster starts. "How did you-" then he groans. "It was the book, wasn't it."

"Umm... Yes, actually." I look around awkwardly.

"Ugh. I knew I should have killed that woman while I had the chance," he grumbles. "Jekyll sent you?"

"Yes." Galahad affirms from where he stands at my side, one foot forwards and ready to put himself between me and the potential enemy. "He was quite concerned when you dropped out of radio contact."

The Monster- screw it, I'm gonna ask if he's picked out a name for himself- throw back his head and laughs like a loon. "That? That was because my radio broke."

"You couldn't repair it?" I ask. "I kind of gathered that you were a dab hand with machinery from... well, that." I point at what I'm now guessing is Victor Frankenstein's still-living, near-perfectly preserved severed head in a jar.

"I am, but I couldn't find the necessary components to fix it." he sighs, pointing to the shattered mechanical components swept up into the room's corner. "At least not without dismantling father's coffin."

"Um, yes." I clear my throat. "So, I believe introductions are in order. I'm Charles Flynn, the Master of Chaldea. We go to aberrations in time and resolve them in order to save the world."

He gives a slightly lopsided grin. "Ted Frankenstein. Misshapen abomination of science. I live in a world that fears and hates me because I have no other choice."

Wait… "Your name is Ted?"

"Yes. Short for Theodore, I picked it out myself." Ted proudly informs me, as I sternly try to keep my features still. "I'm still a bit irked that Mrs. Shelley didn't mention it in that book of hers."

I bite my cheek to contain my snickers. "S-So. What happened?"

"Well, the proto-homunculi, helter-skelters, and automata have been launching raids on my house for the past week or two, which haven't posed much of a problem, although that was how my radio got smashed." he recounts, as I mentally take note of the various enemies' name types. "But this morning, the clown on the coat-rack over there showed up at my door, demanding that I join his organization. Of course, I killed his troops, and then ripped off his arms and legs and beat him over the head with them, but my interrogations haven't proved very fruitful, and those damn crawling bombs of his ruined my lawn."

"Love you too, Franky!" the dismembered clown shouts from the coatrack.

"Silence, clown!" Ted- You know what, I'm just calling him Frankenstein from now on- shouts back. "So. You claim that you seek an end to the Demonic Fog, yes?"

"Yes. Although I'm surprised that you're so accepting of this," I comment. "I would have expected you to be more skeptical."

He laughs. "That uniform of yours, from my sight analysis, was synthesized using textile manufacturing processes not yet devised by modern industry, as well as contain some plastics I cannot identify off the top of my head. Further, this isn't exactly the first time I've encountered a time machine." he stares off into the distance. I think I hear him mutter "Damn Morlocks" under his breath.

Right, that raises several interesting questions, absolutely none of which are relevant at the moment. "So, you survived an attack by an actual Servant? And won?" I whistle. "How strong are you?"

"Father," he points to Victor's head in the jar. "created me in no small part as an attempt to recreate primordial man. To reclaim the power and glory humanity possessed in the days of Gilgamesh and Heracles. He didn't exactly succeed, but he didn't fail by much." He snorts. "I can fight on even ground with most Servants, despite my age."

His age? Now that I look closely, I realize that there are grey streaks in his flowing black hair. "And... how old are you?"

"About ninety-eight." he observes nonchalantly. "Don't look so surprised. Father designed me with a one hundred and fifty-year lifespan in mind."

"There's... actually a lot of other questions I'd love to ask you, but..."

"Yes, I suppose that time is of the essence here." Frankenstein notes, already looking about. "I'll have to relocate, won't I?"

"It seems that way." I observe. "If you'd like, we have a base set up. You're welcome to join us."

He stops, looking me in the eye. I feel a wave of fear shudder up my spine as I stare into those inhuman golden pits, but I stand my ground, and meet his gaze without flinching.

"Very well," he says after a moment's silence. "If you will offer me shelter, even knowing what I am, I suppose I must accept it."

"Welcome aboard then, Mr. Frankenstein," I say, offering a hand for him to shake.

He accepts my proffered hand gingerly, and shakes it once, before turning away and marching up the stairs. "If you could, dispose of the clown ands get my father down the stairs and out the door. I need to pack."

Well, alright then. I turn to my Servants. Galahad is smirking for some reason, while Mordred is looking at me in confusion. Cursed Arm is holding his peace. "Cursed Arm, kill the clown. Galahad, you're on head-carrying duty."

They go to their assigned tasks, while Mordred seems to be gearing up to ask me something.

'Caesar, Caster, how's that perimeter holding up?'

'All enemies repelled, Master.'

'Good. It turns out that the good Doctor was in fact just a cover identity used by his Monster. Said monster will be joining us.'

'Understood. Preparing to head out, then.'

I return my attention to Mordred. "You have something to say, say it."

"Why are you so calm about this?" the Knight of Treachery bellows. "He's a murderer who keeps his father's head in a jar! Why are you tolerating him?"

"Because he could be a valuable ally," I note calmly. "In Mary Shelley's account, he never broke his word, or betrayed an alliance. I'm not entirely sure of his intentions or his goals, to tell the truth, but I do believe that he won't betray us, and that he could be vital to this Singularity's resolution. So I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt."

There's a creaking, and Frankenstein makes his way down the stairs, now clad in a business suit and with a large black suitcase in either hand.

"All right, I'm ready to go." he calls. "Everything taken care of?"

"Yep."

"Then let us be off!"

And so we go.

---​

I walk in through the door to our commandeered apartment.

Georgios is sitting at the table along with the family, who look, well, still terrified, but slightly more accepting.

"Ah! Master, it's good that you're back. I've managed to persuade the Andersons that we mean them no harm." the dragon-slaying Saint calls from where he sits. "Mr. Anderson, let me introduce you-"

It's then that Galahad enters, carrying Victor's life-support tube, followed by Frankenstein.

Georgios sighs as the Andersons run screaming back to the children's bedrooms.

"Well, there goes three hours of careful negotiation and winning their trust. Thanks, Master."

I look around, and then sigh. "Damn."

"What?" Caesar asks as he too enters.

"It's already too crowded in here. We need to commandeer another apartment or two." I observe. Not enough beds or space in here for Frankenstein to properly set up. "Oh, and sorry about ruining your work, Rider. Should've called ahead."

He just sighs.

Well, time for more door-kicking. FEUDALISM HO!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hope this Ted has a better love life than Ted Mosby.

10. Delta Green

Wonder if Ted can be recruited as he is now...

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Super strong scientific genius like him, hopefully.

12. Charles Flynn

Unfortunately, when he's summoned as a Servant, he can only be summoned as a Berserker, and loses his power of speech thanks to a plethora of pop-culture adaptations which chose to portray him as a simpleton.

In all honesty, he's actually weaker as a Servant than he was/is when he was alive.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It may be possible to summon him as a Caster, when you factor in his scientific skill and brilliance.

Edison was summoned as a Caster.

Though yeah they would have to be extremely lucky to summon him in the Caster class considering a lot of cultural adaptations portray him as an idiot, and the ones that show him with some intellect tend to make it just average level, not the genius he is in your story.

Edison was also more of a businessman that excelled in legally taking the work of other inventors, leaving them with little compensation and then claiming those inventions were his own.

If the Chaldeans manage to summon Tesla as a Caster then they'd get a real powerhouse.

He was a fairly powerful Servant for someone whose legend was so young and if they summon him in the Caster class, where his inventive intelligence can be most utilised, instead of an Archer class, he'd be highly useful.

His ability in Item Construction would be extremely useful in making equipment for Chaldea, considering his fairly diverse skill and talent in inventing things.

14. Sleeping Moon

Sleeping Moon Shipper and Handholding inclined MONKE

Unless aya pull a Musashi-chan and call Fran!!! Still yeah interesting take on using Shelly's Frankenstein.

15. RazielofSecrets

RazielofSecrets Verified Homo Sapiens

Tesla can never be summoned as a Caster, no exceptions, because he is known so deeply as a scientist who took the mystical and divine and made it mundane and mortal. That's why he can be summoned as an Archer, as he's well known for taking lightning from the gods, putting Zeus and others out of a job. Thus, as a servant, he can use that lightning himself.

16. the guy

the guy Getting sticky.

I dunno I kind of felt like flynn was being a little too jerkish in 91 and kind of expected him to say somthing along the lines of:
    " oh you dont want to give us room and board, we'll still protect you.... but we will have to base somewhere else and by the time we get here it might be too late".
    I fell like that would be more in character than his acts in 91

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  17. Threadmarks: Chapter 94
    Charles Flynn

Our second breaking and entering actually goes far smoother than our first, mostly because the Cooper family is considerably more accommodating and less prone to running and hiding than the Andersons.

Soon, we're sitting around a table in the Coopers' apartment, Frankenstein and I sitting across from each other while Georgios makes small talk with the Coopers.

"So, I've actually been holding in a lot of questions." I begin, as Frankenstein takes a sip of his tea. The Coopers offered me a cup as well, but I declined. I don't much like caffeine, and I was also slightly concerned they might be trying to poison me. "If you're willing, I'd like to ask them now."

He sets down his teacup. "Very well. I suppose this is as good a time as any." he thinks for a moment. "I will answer three of your questions. The rest will have to wait until after I have set up my lab and you have informed Jekyll of what transpired, and begun your own preparations. Is that agreeable?"

"Very much so," I say, risking eye contact. The radiant yellow pits still inspire in me the same primordial dread as the first time I saw them, but theirs is a familiar fear, now, and I allow not one trace of it to show. "Firstly, how accurate is the account of your life presented in the 1818 novel by Mary Shelley?"

"Very much so, considering she got it from me," Frankenstein observes with a slight grin. "I met her when I was poking around in one of Father's old labs up in Geneva, looking for his notes. She held them hostage in exchange for me telling her about myself. I told her, she gave me the notes, and I thought nothing of it for the next three years, until one fine day in the Fall of 1819 I walked into a bookstore and found a book detailing my entire life. Needless, to say, I was a bit furious at the time, but when I tracked her down and confronted her over it, she offered me a share of the royalties she'd received, so that I would have some means to support myself in spite of my condition." He grins. "I suppose she became my first true friend, after a fashion."

He drifts off, lost in memory, and I clear my throat after a second. "The book claimed that after your father's death, you resolved to kill yourself. Did... did that truly happen? Or was it just artistic license?"

"Oh, I did in fact so resolve myself." Frankenstein relates with a dark grin. "And I gave it the old college try. But have you ever tried to start a bonfire on a glacier?"

Oh, I see where this is going.

"First I had to stockpile up the wood for the damn thing, and make sure it wasn't too drenched, and then I had to heat it up until it would burn, and then, after three days of attempted fire-starting, interrupted only by a bear attack, I finally got it up and burning, only for it to promptly melt the snow that had started falling, and put itself out. Finally, fed up with the whole affair, I resolved myself to live out of pure, petty irritation." Frankenstein recounts, before laughing. "It wasn't very pleasant at the time, but, in hindsight..."

I nod, grinning. "It actually became amusing."

"Exactly." Frankenstein agrees. "And so, having decided to live out of pure spite, I decided that I wouldn't be doing so alone. I ran back, grabbed Father's frozen corpse, and stashed him away safely before heading off to try and recover his notes. Because if I was going to be stuck on this damn mudball, I wasn't going through it alone." He pats his father's tube affectionately. "As you can see, I succeeded, at least partially."

I nod, before asking the most important question. "And why were you working with Jekyll to fight the fog? I didn't think you much cared for humanity."

"I don't." Frankenstein answers, his face loosing his good cheer. "In truth, I deny that I would ever raise my hand in the defense of a human being."

"So why do you fight?"

"The Incineration will claim me too, Master of Chaldea." he says, grinning at my surprise. "Oh, don't look so shocked that I know of it. The clown told me of it. Tried to tempt me into joining them with the prospect of finally taking my vengeance on all of humanity."

"And you still refused?"

"I don't believe that anyone can stop the Incineration," he admits with a melancholic sigh. "Not me, and not you. But this damnable fog is an eyesore. And I should like to see the sun again at least once before I die. That's all."

He shakes his head. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to reestablish my lab. I don't doubt that you have your own duties to attend to. We shall talk again at a later time."

I say my goodbyes and leave, feeling a great deal more somber than I did when I entered.

---​

"All right, team meeting." I call, as Caesar, Galahad, Cursed Arm, and Georgios gather around the table in the Andersons' apartment. "We've gotten a bit of experience on the ground in this Singularity, it's time to revise our team composition."

"Have any of us performed inadequately?" Caesar ask.

"No, but now that we're on the ground, and have the lay of the land, we can optimize our team to better suit the Singularity. And, to be honest, some of us aren't going to be able to properly shine unless we revise our tactics, or just aren't suited for this environment."

"Fair enough, Master." Caesar notes. "May I ask why the Cu Chullains and Tamamo-no-Mae are not in attendance?"

"Tamamo's asleep, Caster's revising our perimeter defenses, and Lancer's out patrolling the surrounding area." I list off. "Beyond that, you are all the most level-headed of my Servants, and the ones I'd trust to hold command in my absence."

"You don't trust Cu?" Galahad asks with a smirk. "And here I thought you were bosom buddies."

"I'd trust him with my life, I'd trust him with my drinks, and I'd trust him with my deepest secrets." I inform him, dead serious. "But I would not trust him to hold command in my absence. I believe that the four of you are sane, disciplined, and level-headed enough to be entrusted with tactical command in my absence. Do not make me regret that."

"Understood, Master." Caesar replies. "What changes do you propose?"

"Firstly, the establishment of an actual chain of command. Caesar, you're my second. Then Georgios, then Galahad, then Cursed Arm." Galahad looks like he's going to protest for a moment, but then seems to realize that he's third place in a competition including an actual saint and one of the Nine Worthies, and promptly backs down. "This will, hopefully, ensure that when I'm incapacitated in the future, people will know who to listen to."

Nods all around the table.

Cursed Arm is the next to speak up. "I'm surprised that you included me."

"I'll be the first to admit that you and I haven't gotten to know each other all that well, but I've seen enough of your professionalism and your straightforward attitude to consider you a responsible commander." I acknowledge, before moving on. "The next time we move out, Caesar will remain here to command the apartment's defenders. It's clear that he's best used as a commander, and is effectively wasted in a subordinate role."

"Thank you, Master." Rome's Dictator-for-Life acknowledges with a bow of his head. "I will do my best to live up to your expectations of me."

"It's just the best move under the circumstances." I demur. "As for the rest, I plan on sending Tamamo and Caster back to Chaldea and calling in different Servants. Asterios and Paracelsus. Asterios' navigational abilities will be incredibly useful, and Paracelsus can use his alchemical mastery to analyze the Demonic Fog. Does anyone disagree with my assessment?"

No one raises any objections.

"Good. I'll break the news to them in person. Meeting adjourned. Assassin, start scouting. Rider, man the radio. Saber, familiarize yourself with the building and its defenses. Galahad, with me."

And with all that said, I rise and go to my work.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  18. Truck-Sama

Truck-Sama An adventure awaits...

That's going to be awkward when they meet Professor P if you don't change him being an antagonist in this singularity.

19. Charles Flynn

Certainly, it makes things awkward.

On the other hand, though, since the Demonic Fog is at least partially his work, it means that Paracelsus is probably one of the best Casters when it comes to analyzing and countering it.

20. Bear_Mint

Bear_Mint The LewdBringer. The Breast Observer.

Paracelsus couldn't find a more worthy opponent than himself.

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hmm, if this whole thing of Servants fighting other versions of themselves happens again in the future, then if they face a version of Gilgamesh that's trying to destroy them the way to beat him would be to somehow summon another version of Gil and have them face off.

The two of them would not stand another existing because of their pride and would try to kill the other one.

That or they may try to fuck each other because they are huge narcissists.

His relationship with Enkidu does seem to indicate that it may have been more than just a friendship from time to time.

LazyGlutton and Silver W. King like this.
  22. Charles Flynn

Gilgamesh is unlikely to be summoned.

Shinjuku, on the other hand, will be interesting, especially seeing as, by the time I reached it in game I'd summoned both Yan Qing and Hessian Lobo. Provided he actually makes it past Solomon, that is.

LazyGlutton, Kapellan23 and Darko like this.
  23. Sleeping Moon

Yeah, and I'm curious if Chaldea Paracelsus would turn if his other self 'preach' on him or the other way around.

Btw, can I ask if your already in part 2 in FGO? Cause if so, can I still access Part 1 singularities abd EoR?

24. Charles Flynn

Not on Part 2 yet myself, so I have no idea.

Kapellan23 likes this.
  25. Sleeping Moon

Oh, still thanks for replying ^w^ love the story btw. But every second I feel that the SI would or might be axed on Jerusalem or King Gil won't take a liking with him, dunno.

Charles Flynn likes this.
  26. Charles Flynn

He's heading to Camelot, not Jerusalem. Even if he completes the other singularities in record time, America will still slow him down too much for him to arrive before the Lion King, simply by virtue of the mainland United States being unreasonably huge, and a journey from east to west, particularly one made without such modern means of transportation as cars and trains, taking months, especially if the country's an active warzone. Something that the writers really didn't get.

27. Sleeping Moon

I think its more apt to say that they were using horses at that time and given that Riding Skill is a thing~...

28. Charles Flynn

Fujimaru is specifically noted as being incapable of riding a horse during Septem. Beyond that, the terrain is extremely varied, and a horseback trip will still take ten days, factoring in regular, constant resupplies of fresh horses (as seen with the Pony Express). And that's not even factoring the interruptions from the various armies, the lack of proper travel infrastructure, and both the wildlife and potentially hostlie humans they might encounter along the way.

In short: America is fuckin' huge, and is literally impossible to finish as a Singularity in anything even approximately resembling a reasonable timeframe.

29. Sleeping Moon

Huh, but I think it would be reasonable they solved the issue of incapable on riding a horse off screen though and I think the mount of someone wuth a Riding Skill is enhanced too as an apropriate mount.

LazyGlutton and Charles Flynn like this.
  30. Charles Flynn

Most Servants that aren't Riders or a Knight Class don't have the Riding skill. Further, horses are still living, breathing creatures, and living, non-NP horses still need energy to live and get tired. A sufficiently high Riding skill might bypass the horse's physical limitations, but it won't stop a living, normal horse from keeling over stone dead from exhaustion the minute their rider dismounts.

In short, no, horses are not cars. In fact, they are vastly inferior to cars as a means of transportation, which is the main reason we all use cars now, instead of horses.