1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think he's thinking of that barrier they put up over the Earth when they began their attack.

2. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

That... would make more sense.

3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

4. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

Just how powerful is Paul's powered armor at this point? He has many different tech bases to draw on and has had quite a bit of time to refine the design. No magic or meta-materials because that is expensive to store, but should I expect it to as least be as good as Ironman's suit? Reach scrabs? Generally assume that it at least equals any other tech bases powered armor in DC?

Ardy and DrThoth like this.
  5. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

This whole mess with Varnathon almost sounds like Boss Smiley's influence, just applied to Qward instead of Earth.

Vorian, Ardy and Assblaster5000 like this.
  6. Mr Zoat

His power armour is designed to keep him alive in the event that his ring shuts down. It's not particularly fast or maneuverable and is lightly armed.

7. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

I think the SI may be making a dangerous mistake here. Varnathon sounds like he was making Qwardian society run less well and be less devoted to the Anti-Monitor (if only due to corruption and neglect). And that's good for everyone else!

Maybe Paul should consider shooting Kalmin in the back sometime soon.

Vorian likes this.
  8. ABZB

ABZB Making the rounds.

Thanks!

Ah... I understand now, the usual apps are only hitting the begin-chapter threadmarks on the story-only thread.

They also fail to pick up the color-formatting, so yeah.

Edit: gustyeagle blocks incoming PMs from people they don't know... back to square one for me, I guess :(

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  9. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

They knew they couldn't touch Varnathon. They weren't certain about the recently-returned Kalmin, and could count on a comparatively merciful death.

10. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Either "like Christian priests" or "like a Christian priest" (I lean towards the former)

11. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  12. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Pretty much.

Varn basically made Qward a kakistocracy- as one poet put it "for the benefit of knaves at the cost of fools."

Just the freaking opposite.

Kalmin is for keeping the superweapons out of others hands because the goal is to destroy them.

Varn would and has sold superweapons to line his own pockets.

Would you like the Reach to have their own lantern corps?

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

So basically no matter who wins, Kalmin or Varnathon, everyone else is fucked.

Ngamer11, Cuchulin and Vorian like this.
  14. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Everyone is fucked when the Anti-Monitor returns no matter what Qward does, regardless, that's a long term problem for which one can come up with a long term solution.

Varn is an immediate problem.

Ignoring long term problems is stupid, prioritizing immediate problems not so much.

15. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Just grab Superboy-Prime or Silver age Superman to beat him to death.

Frank Iannetta, Ardy and Cuchulin like this.
  16. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

I think I'd prefer the anti-monitor to 'I'll Kill You To Death' Superboy-Prime.

Ardy likes this.
  17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Prime could potentially be talked down or prevented from going crazy.

The Anti-Monitor, not so much.

Cuchulin likes this.
  18. Threadmarks: Anti-Thesis (part 15)
    Mr Zoat

11th July 2012
    15:51 GMT

The city we're flying over looks like a cross between a factory complex and a medieval castle with just a few cyberpunk elements sprinkled on for taste. The highest point is a giant… Aerial, whose function I can only guess at. Below that the fortified buildings cluster with no externally clear rhyme or reason. Certainly I wouldn't say that any of them are in prime position. Qward leaves its mercantilism for the surface so there's no central business district in the way there would be in a human city. There's no greenery down here and in any case the Weaponers haven't historically been interested in gardening.

Kalmin heads for what I think is a landing zone near the top of a manufacturing complex, landing and striding confidently in the direction of the entrance. Since I've got no real idea where we're heading I just follow him, taking note of the positions and comportment of the Thunderers standing guard. They're alert, searching for potential threats and prepared to act against them immediately. I also haven't checked the q'ardajin concept of law and order. Given what Kalmin said earlier I imagine that they do have one, but I also imagine that there'd be a very large amount of leeway for Thunderers protecting senior Weaponers.

"High Weaponlord Kalmin. It's good to see you."

Weaponer Lysis steps into the open, a retinue of two Thunderers accompanying her.

"It's not good at all. Did you know that imbecile Varnathon-?"

"This is-. Not the best place to talk about it. Not if you want to win over other Councillors before you act."

"I'm issuing a challenge, not plotting a secret conspiracy."

"But the transfer of power needs to be controlled. Managed. Otherwise it will cost us valuable resources."

Kalmin grimaces as the two of them head further into the building, the Thunderers and I falling in behind them.

"I can't imagine that Varnathon has created a resource shortage. I saw the tribute ships in orbit."

"Trade ships, for the most part."

"What is he.. trading?"

"Not qwa matter, if that's what you're wondering. I reviewed the records after we spoke. His deal with the matter universe must be something he handled personally."

"Who else would know about it?"

"If it wasn't for the fact that I didn't know about it, I'd suggest asking me."

I check, but she's using shielding as effective as that of her former mentor.

"Then who?"

"His drones, Tacticos and Strategos. He takes them everywhere with him."

"Irritating things. I'm glad that you haven't adopted the habit."

"But you have."

"An automated weapon platform. It's an adequate aide, but it doesn't manage my life and it knows when to keep silent."

"I would be fascinated to open it up and take a look myself, once our business here is concluded."

I bet you would. Shame those eyes reduce her facial expressiveness, because I'd love to see the look on her face when she saw me.

"You can just ask me for the schematics. It actually uses a fascinating matter disruption weapon that I acquired from a foe of Harold Jordan's."

"Matter disruption… The Crumbler?"

"The very same. The man was a lunatic, but I can't help but wonder if the Anti-Monitor touched his mind in some way."

"I'm surprised to hear you say that."

Kalmin shakes his head.

"Our species has a unique relationship with the Anti-Monitor, but that doesn't mean that he doesn't make use of aliens from time to time. Even I do that."

There's a bulkhead door up ahead, Thunderers with qwa bolt quivers on their backs and spears in their hands guarding it. Kalmin nods approvingly as one of them takes a moment to verify their identities before stepping aside and opening the door.

Inside… It reminds me a little of the klingon courtroom from the Star Trek films. It's clearly a space designed to allow the people in the centre to argue their case to the people in the surrounding balconies, built of tough metal and with little thought given to comfort. Kalmin accelerates to get into the focus of the room as quickly as possible while Lysis satisfies herself with lurking near the door. The Thunderers stop outside of the room but with no direct instruction from Kalmin I opt to mirror Lysis's position.

The balconies are occupied by a variety of q'ardajin. I see armour like Kalmin's as well as work overalls alongside what I suspect is a q'ardajin designer suit. Behind them lurk Thunderers, robots and aides. All of the people in leading positions are male and I only spot a couple of females at all. Only one of whom is wearing the bikini/thigh boot combination that Weaponer Lysis mentioned.

I wonder what that's about, aside from the obvious.

"Councillors. Weaponers of Qward. I bring grim tidings. Yesterday I bore witness to an alien race using significant amounts of qwa matter as a bomb."

The Weaponers don't rant or rave, but I see flickers of rage and hear a few whispered oaths.

"We all know the nature of qwa energy. We all know that the Anti-Monitor shared its secrets with no other people, even amongst his other allies. It is our sole providence. That is what has prompted my return. Varnathon is trading qwa matter!"

Kalmin pulls an orb off his equipment harness and tosses it up into the air. It floats in the upper portion of the chamber, flickers and then projects a hologram of my fight with the qwa energy weapon wielding scarab warrior, though there are a lot of other notations on the energy output and other characteristics of the weapon. He then holds out his right hand and pulls out the gun out of subspace before tossing it to the ground in front of him. The Weaponers in attendance activate their own sensors, aside from a couple who just freeze up. Though I'm not sure if it's in shock that their High Weaponlord would do that or something else.

"And worse, this!"

The holographic image changes to a recording… Of my death. The actual explosion is played in slow motion, and again there are the notations to prove that what occurred actually occurred.

"Why has this happened?! Why have you, Councillors, allowed this to happen unchecked?! Why has this betrayal of the Anti-Monitor, this betrayal of Qward, been allowed to happen?!"

Kalmin pauses, walking a circuit of the room and making eye contact with the Weaponers who are giving him their rapt attention.

"And that is not the end of his malignancy! I learned not an hour ago that he has changed the life assignment rating systems so that q'ardajin who would once have become Thunderer-cadets or Weaponer-apprentices are now sent for medical experimentation!"

The holographic image changes again, this time… Showing the data he took from the Qwardian data networks. This he gives them a few moments to take in, probably because it's a bit more complex than 'there was an explosion'.

"I failed Qward. I failed the Anti-Monitor, and my only complaint about my fate is that I was left alive. But I did not deliberately sabotage my own people! Varnathon has lost any right to be High Weaponlord!"

A few of the Weaponers just nod right away, while the general emotional output of those I can read suggests that they're decidedly unimpressed with Varnathon's actions.

"I move that Varnathon be killed and that this Council select a replacement from amongst its number! And in case you think that I do this for self-serving reasons, I will point out that I am not a member of this Council any longer. This is not about personal advancement, but about ensuring-."

The door at the opposite end of the court arena slams open, and-.

"All bow! All bow!"

"Bow for the High Weaponlord, Varnathon of Q'uldi!"

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  19. BlackCoat13

BlackCoat13 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Right after all that evidence? Oh, this is going to go over well. /sarcasm

20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Unless it involved bioweapon plants.

It's probably a bit reminiscent of the Klingon concept.

Though it is trying.

He does now, but not so much any other time.

I'm betting she'll at first be a little surprised before she goes back to trying to cut you up.

Wonderful, now psychotic aliens are also using Earth tech instead of just psychotic humans.

Okay, this is a bit frightening in how much it can potentially be true.

Maybe 'alongside'

It could either be because someone more powerful than her wants her to wear it, she's wearing it so that others think she's more submissive and underesrimate her, or she may just like the clothes.

21. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

Throw the qwa bolt.

Do it.

Kill him now.

22. Ancalador

Ancalador Know what you're doing yet?

Something tells me he is not going to like his reception.

Xmaster3000, DAT_NOOB, JoTa34 and 2 others like this.
  23. Mr Zoat

No, they don't really go in for those. Plants, I mean. Bioweapons are fine.
    Thank you, corrected.

24. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

No fucking around with small talk or politics with these q'ardajin, just straight up "This and this sucks, here's what we should do"

How delightfully refreshing

Shoukd I be worried about how much I am starting to like these people?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  25. deimos16

deimos16 Paragon of Grey

Considering that they're obsessed with destroying everything?

....Maybe.

26. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Industrial Gothic at its finest, then. I'm almost picturing something 40k-like, just minus the golden eagles and Imperial iconoclasty. Skulls optional, of course.

Indeed. I picture them having an almost Samurai culture. Mostly in the field of 'higher-ranked persons can kill lesser ranks without any justification'.
    And 'true' Q'ardajin having more rights than those topside, then off-worlders below them. And most laws would probably have a death sentence...

At least there's one friendly face. Well, less hostile, to be precise. Though I suspect she'd looking forwards to Varnathon getting his head removed...

Oooh. Varnathon got a secret police monitoring public places for seditious chatter, I take it?

While she has a point, I doubt Kalmin's in the mood to appreciate her reserve. After all, there's a mudhole needs stompin' in Varnathon's arse...

Ah, but are they here for goods coming in, or goods going out? There's a big difference...

And how worse is it going to make his imminent beating?

I suspect something like that, he'd be keeping very close to his chest. Given how even moderately-pious Weaponers like Lysis have reacted thus far...

She learned her lessons at his side well, I take it. Though that would have its own drawbacks... Mostly dealing with other Councillors who had lower opinions of Kalmin.

:mad: Damn fool. Don't you know, you never write important things like that down, if only so they have to keep you alive to find out what you know and what you've done...

No, no, tell us how you really feel... But seriously, I do wonder if that's how he sees OL: Smart enough not to bother him unless needed...

Like Darko said, she'd probably pause, shrug then carry on cutting...

Heh. Interesting that she's read up on him. A case of 'Know the enemy, and know his enemies'.

What? The Qwardians can't be the only species the Anti-Monitor touched. They're probably the most successful, though.

Indeed. If they knew just how you used them, I wonder how they'd react... He can probably spin crafting Rings as testing a potential new weapon.

Approval of their adherence to security protocols regardless of their guests' rank, or of the level of armament they carry to protect their leaders? Why not both, even?

Also handily giving you a good spot to hold the exit if things go ploin-shaped. Or a straightish run if Kalmin doesn't make it.

It certainly lends the room a certain something. Q'ardajin certainly know their style: Pulp-era Serial Super-Villain. :p

:eek: ...Wait, OL only got fried yesterday? Man, things have been moving quickly! No, wait, he probably means Qwardian days, doesn't he? Which are probably somewhat longer...

Bomb dropped! Kalmin wasting no time at all. Qwardian Politics must operate very fast when motivated...

Possible collaborators, perhaps? Maybe Varnathon wasn't the only one involved in the sale and they kept their heads down very well..

Again, I picture the annihilation field from 'Crisis on Infinite Earth', on a smaller scale. Also, that must be a weird experience, seeing yourself die like that. Most people would have a moment of existential doubt...

Yep, he's that good an Orange Lantern: He owns the audience! If Varnathon has any idea this is happening, he'd already be burning his records and packing to run, if he had any sense...

I wonder if there's any in the chamber that were involved... They'd probably be sweating...

Yep. Varnathon made the biggest mistake a tyrant could make when working behind his people's backs: He got caught.

Speak of the Devil, and he appears! I wonder, will Kalmin allow Varnathon to speak, or will that Qwa-bolt he forged be rammed down the fool's throat before he can utter a word?

Bring him on! We want to see his face fall as he realises he's fucked!

Well, then. Will Kalmin pull a Renegade Anti-Paragon interrupt and try to kill Varnathon right away, or will OL convince him to let the idiot damn himself with his own words? Or will someone on the Council pull the trigger? Either way, tomorrow is going to be explosive! :D I can't wait.

27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think he sees him as useful but also annoying.

He probably touched them a lot when they were a young species, and that explains why they're so messed up now.

Or they're still in shock at finding out what Varathon did.

28. Mr Zoat

Show me on this doll where the Anti-Monitor touched you.

kerleth, Vorian, Xmaster3000 and 13 others like this.
  29. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

A show of hands, who thinks Paul will disregard his buddy’s order to stay silent? Before he inevitably gets discovered via costume damage.

Now a more important question. This planet has more Qwa matter than anywhere in the positive matter universe. Paul is still vulnerable to it. What will Paul choose to do when he’s attacked with Qwa matter this chapter?

Cuchulin and AngelicKnight. like this.
  30. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Cuchulin likes this.