1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Diraniola

Diraniola I trust you know where the happy button is?

Grayven: will you follow your traditions of your mom loses?

Theana: of course not, we'll just gang up and fight to the death.

G: bet.

2. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

Yep. Diana is half titan and half god and living on a deathworld where her aunt is basically a bully. She outclasses her Aunt badly.

I'm wondering what the hell Diana's divine nature is in this universe.

ChestBurster, Vorian, Jaron and 35 others like this.
  3. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

"On god?"

4. megrisvernin

megrisvernin Connoisseur.

I mean Diane has a lot less experience than her. Thousands of year of combat even if the skill gain is less than what Diane goes through adds up.

5. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

A smattering of godspeech tonight.

6. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

Like I said, stupid evil.

Just kill them and be done with it, Grayven. If anything, this should be an object lesson.

I can delight in pragmatic evil, tolerate banal evil and understand an excess of evil. But stupid evil? Chuck it into the sun.

7. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

she -> she is

8. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

We've seen that Titans are a rough beat for the actual gods not demi gods. And Astarte has been functionally killing slimes where Diana is regularly sparring with full Kryptonians and fighting things on the order of Elder Gods.

9. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Gotta love their bragging about being strong when their entire MO seems to be to find worlds that have no way of actually fighting back against them, and from the sound of things actively avoiding worlds that could put up a fight, only to drop a shitload of snakes that do just about everything for them.

10. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

11. DbDRAKE

DbDRAKE Possibly some sort of Actual Dragon?

It looks Like it was thousands of years of dropkicking toddlers into the sand, then declaring victory.

12. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

I think this has come up before and the answer is either Truth or Justice.

13. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

In that situation, it's largely a matter of how they're using their God-gifts. Presumably, Ollie aims for non-lethal wounds - trick shots like pinning someone to a wall, or putting a gimmick arrow right where it has to be - while Orana no doubt favours a more lethal level of accuracy - putting broad-head shafts into a weapon hand or a foot, or straight-out killshots with a narrow or barbed tip. No doubt both are getting plenty of Mana input...

But... Consider their regular opponents. To put it in MMO terms: Astarte has been the max-level character wandering lowbie zones PvPing beginners, while Diana actually runs end-game content and knows her build and gear inside out, down the the second of power cooldown rotations. Which has been challenging herself to improve, hmm?

Yeah, I don't see that working. New God weapons aren't polite about being handled by anything other than their masters. I mean, the Renegade's Daiklave probably never leaves his grasp if he can help it... But imagine what it might do to someone trying to take it from his hand?

The one problem with Diana's style: She relies on her lasso for ranged attacks. No guns, no spears, no bow or sling... If a foe can maintain distance, or tie her down and bombard her from afar with others, she has few options besides playing 'bullets and bracelets' until she can get airborne...

And she's probably getting a little annoyed that Diana's not folding after one hit like some of her opponents might. I mean, not every member of the Commanders' circle can be as powerful as her, after all.

:confused: ...Oh, boy. Was that a dismissive 'hmm' or a lustful 'yum'. Because I can just see her associating violence with other things...

Probably feel insulted if a member of her family was weak...

Given that Theana would never have heard of most, if not any, of the names the Renegade could list, I'm not surprised.

:p 'Strength of Gaea' basically translating into 'hits like a rockslide'? Good to see Diana not holding back now...

...Or not. Diana, this is far past any kind of diplomatic solution...

Just for the Codex, you know. Got to find all that Lore, after all.

While putting it rather rudely, even to her, he has a point. Though I wonder how much of that misandry is due to Astarte's leadership?

Ow. Should have tied it back, Diana. Unless that was tied back, in which case, double OW. Hope the Renegade can apply a little cosmetic repairs later, assuming it doesn't grow back rapidly...

If he plans to integrate them at all. Maybe he's watching to see what you do with them: Extinction or subjugation? That would tell him much of your form of Conquest.

Bit of a risk. They're clearly overconfident, aren't they? But Hubris has its own drawbacks, though.

Or trying to set a fire elemental on fire. With non-magical fire, at least. I've seen at least one case where the nominal hero of the story does beat a fire creature with magically-charged fire... 'Bastard!', if you're curious.

Trundling through the galaxy, extinctifying whole worlds' animal life to feed yourselves porridge? Some life.

The problem being, do any of them want that? Do any of them have any desire to be more than a roving murderhobo, any aspiration to be greater than their upbringing? :( ...Actually, given said upbringing, those kind of thoughts either get you killed young or are beaten out by the time you come of age...

Heh. If the Renegade gets his way, they'll have to change, I see. One way or the other. Giving them a choice of the mailed fist, or the spiked boot. :p Since they've rejected anything nicer.

And clearly you're incapable of thinking to share that food. And think that analogy is enough to explain everything... Clever as a brick in a sock.

'Ravaging a world form orbit using magic snakes' is not work. Even going down there and beating what you want out of the population is not work.

Well, at least they have some concept of honour. Pity that just means they exterminate the weak dishonourably...

That would be impressive, given that there didn't seem to be much in the way of survivors. Or do weak worlds like the last couple not get the offer?

Gee, some test. I'm almost reminded of Adeptus Astartes recruitment practices from Warhammer 40k. Picking young warriors from feral worlds who show promise by being big, mean bastards... If that's their general kind of recruit, no wonder they're such stupid cunts...

Yup. The benefit of challenging yourself in battle. I Hope Astarte's learning a good lesson from this...

Ah, heading off the inevitable betrayal at the pass, eh? I have the feeling Theana would declare a challenge literally as soon as her mother conceded defeat. While Diana's still exhausted. Some honour there, huh?

Well, then. Looks like the Citizenry will be having to deal with a bit of change soon, eh? Whether they accept the new leadership (and just carry on as they have been as soon as she's not looking) or the Renegade takes drastic measures to correct that behaviour, things are going to be very interesting in the next couple of chapters...

Some incidental Godspeech:

Mr Zoat, some corrections:
    They've been on that island for three thousand years...
    Not sure of the intent here. Perhaps 'It changes' or 'If it changes'?
    ...would you mind explaining a few things for me?
    You're clearly a bunch of psychotic misandrists...
    Double Space.

14. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

" We are superstrong bestest because we drop snakes on defenseless worlds!"

"What if someone beats you by your own rules?"

"Then we cheat!"

Yeah, just kill them and be done with it.

15. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

I find stupid evil hilarious, but that just means that I would chuckle as I removed them if I had the power to do so.

16. jasonh23761

I can get behind that.

Prince Charon and Alexandercctv like this.
  17. jasonh23761

Honestly, I think the biggest thing that bothers me about the Citizenry isn't so much the stupid evil, so much as how lazy they are about it. There is no drive to improve beyond just beating their chests between kicking the civilization equivalent of toddlers into the dirt.

Around and around they go, knocking things over but never actually building anything. They're even worse than the Wraith! The ones from Stargate Atlantis, where maybe 5 of them ever showed any sort of personal initiative, drive to be more or ambition to create. I think like 2 out of those 5 characters were human hybrids anyways.

Part of why I genuinely like Grayven so much is the desire to build. His story is like a 4X game I can read and I genuinely adore that.

Anyways I'm just ranting. Take what can be useful and chuck the rest of it into a star. The Citizenry don't even deserve the graveyard they leave the planets of their victims as remembrance. For that extra bit of spice, absorb the area, repopulate it. In a century make it so it was like they never existed at all.

At least 4000 years of history and this is the grand sum of their ambitions? Pathetic.

18. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Now now, it's unfair to judge an entire civilisation by the behaviour of their rulers.

Unless they're a democracy, then it's clearly the peoples' fault.

19. Breadnaught

Breadnaught Experienced.

And thus the issue with all these Rule Of The Strong groups: They're all cowards and hypocrites.

Can anyone think of a setting/faction where one of these actually stuck to their principles once the shoe was on the other foot? They talk a big game while they're on top, standing around patting themselves on the back for being powerful and fierce while slaughtering a bunch of mooks. But they always change their tune when someone stronger puts them in their place.

20. Khettien

Khettien Perpetually confused

...that sure is a bunch of ranting from a group of people who should know, better than most, just why 'comic book villain' is both a cliché and an insult.

Edit:
    Chronicles of Riddick spring to mind.

21. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I was wondering, since Astarte apparently can fly now, exactly why she can do so. I believe in the comics Diana's speed was originally a blessing from Hermes, either on her or her shoes, and it's just become part of her powerset now, but she's not a standard demigoddess of war. Cassandra Sandsmark's flight makes sense too, for a daughter of the Sky God (and yeah Astarte is technically Zeus's granddaughter, but it still doesn't seem to fit her mo).

I'd have thought Renegade Diana and Barda would have sparred a lot, and the former would be familiar with how mega rods function to avoid trying to grasp it by the handle. The fight's a bit of let-down after Astarte's introduction in the story, but I guess things will start picking up once Renegade and Artemis begin their attack.

Does the Citizenry not have cloning technology? I would imagine they could just set up something similar to vatborn Dark Eldar in 40k, only all women. Unless the tradition was ingrained before they technologically advanced enough (although, what is the canonical origin of the Citizenry? They existed long before Astarte joined them, right?). Do we know who Theana's father was? I assume he'd have to be quite strong to be eligible as a breeding partner in the first place, but unless it was a New God or something I feel like Theana would be inferior to her mother thanks to her divine heritage being more distant.

Do they go on these murder-binges through Green Lantern Corps patrolled space? Besides the Omega Gun (which should be a relatively recent tool in their arsenal) and Astarte herself, I feel like a task force could take them on, and I can't imagine they had many allies before the one with Renegade. Or are they just really stealthy in addition to being strawwomen misandrist Amazons who also apparently have advanced technological capabilities? (things about them still don't click well for me, clearly).

Even if Paragon forgot the name of the Citizenry, I think he'd have made a token effort to track down 'nomadic spacefaring marauding cannibal women', given the direct and indirect access to information databases he has.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  22. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

It was explained that Astarte has some sort of levitation technology. It's not an innate ability like Diana's.

Paul knows about them by name. He just considers them a low priority. It's entirely possible that we'll never see them in the Paragon timeline.

23. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I just tracked that down, thanks for the reminder.

Cuchulin likes this.
  24. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Why did Diana and Grayven let Astarte keep Barda's mega-rod? Not only did they give her an extra weapon they risk Barda boom tubing in and killing as many Citizitens as it takes to get it back.

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  25. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Found an old error. That should be the Pursuer.

Prince Charon and Assblaster5000 like this.
  26. Breadnaught

Breadnaught Experienced.

Because it's currently hers via god-powers enforced Spoils of War rules. Simply taking it back won't work, as Diana discovered when she made a grab for it during the fight.

27. Mr Zoat

No, he's mocking him. To peruse means 'to examine at length'.

28. FourthPear

FourthPear Frequent Flier. Muted

I can’t wait for Paragon Paul to meet them. So far he is 3 for 4 on evil species Genocide. The only reason he doesn’t have a perfect record is because the Vega alliance went behind his back to kill the Psions themselves.

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'Everything'

They're evil.

Being massively hypocritical is probably their smallest sin at this point.

Everything is about sex.

Ohh, that's gotta hurt.

Astarte may be seen as a high class woman by Apokaliptian standards.

For a decent person, yes.

For a psychopath, no not really.

This reminds me of a quote that goes something like 'Any idiot can pull a trigger. Try getting up every day and working for a living'

So Astarte's experience is the equivalent of fighting people ten times weaker than her, while Diana actually knows how to fight people as strong as her.

Figures.

Indeed, let's not keep everyone waiting.

30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

You know I just got reminded of the Nietzscheans from Andromeda.

They're basically marauding egomaniacs that will betray you even if they say they'll be fair.