1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

She did grow up in a segregated and female dominated society, so part of it may be due to her.

Though seeing as they've been recruiting girls even before her then it may have been there before.

So intelligence gathering.

Fighting fire with fire.

Apparently they were happy in the comics when Diana ordered them to be better, so they may be doing this due to fear of Astarte.

Astarte is honestly something like a Primarch when you think about it.

She's a demigod with a bunch of mental and emotional problems.

She leads a pack of psychotic maniacs that commit genocide. Though they're not all that xenophobic.

Her father is a huge piece of shit.

She has all the signs of being a Primarch.

And now I'm reminded of TTS.

This is just depressing.

2. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

If Astarte knew her people wouldn't stick to the terms of the duel, wouldn't that automatically put her in a metphysically weaker state due to the way new gods/divine magic crap works?

FourthPear likes this.
  3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Assuming she knew about it, then maybe.

But if she didn't know, then she may be fine.

There also wasn't exactly something like that challenge renegade issues, so that may not count here.

5. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

I can’t hug like Vulcan, but I can still offer a hug and my condolences.

Sighs with pain

Assblaster5000, FourthPear and Darko like this.
  6. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

What is Diana's goal here exactly is she planning on being their ruler and teaching them morality for however long it takes them to not be genocidal sociopaths? Cause not only will that take a while she's going to be constantly fighting them because Astarte definitively said they enjoy their lifestyle.

7. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

Okay, let me actually speak in defense of Diana's goals. There's a strong possibility that the Citizenry is being held together by their crazy demigoddess leader who seems to have been in charge for literally thousands of years. Her and her hand-picked cadre of like-minded leadership.

Diana is probably hoping that most of the Citizenry do not actually enjoy their lifestyle, which as Grayven himself points out is incredibly unfulfilling. Perhaps if she clears out the leadership and allows the Citizenry some more choices then they would descend to the level of "normal" evil aliens and take up some lifestyle that allows them to use their hard-won combat skills for an actual purpose and gain material possessions and food other than worm-produced gruel. I hear that LEGION is hiring!

EDIT: I mean, remember that a lot of them were recruited or are the children of people who were recruited as the survivors of worlds the Citizenry killed. Thinking there might be some repressed dissatisfaction there.

8. cereal_lurker

cereal_lurker Getting sticky.

I don't think she ever took a definitive stance on the matter... This is the closest I could find and it's a stated as a possibility rather than a declaration of certainty.

9. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Who could have guessed... :p

Deadring likes this.
  10. Mr Zoat

If only they existed in the Renegade timeline.

11. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Prince Charon likes this.
  12. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

We don't know much about their origin. Apparently, they used to just wander around picking up the 100 strongest women on a planet and leaving. They went to Earth at some point in the past, which is how they got Astarte. Originally, they wanted Hippolyta, but Astarte offered to join them instead.

At some point in the interim, they evidently switched to their current methods and Astarte took over.

In the story they showed up in, it opened up by showing a trio of Green Lanterns investigating a world they got done with and some left over snakes killed one of the Lanterns who covered the other two's escape with evidently the last survivor of said planet.

Granted, the Lantern they killed was a rookie who didn't even have a personal shield up.

In any event, when they're invading Earth, Wonder Woman mentions their weapons were similar to Green Lantern energy but "Malevolent." Astarte mentions at one point that even the Oans feared them.

Honestly, it feels more like the Guardians just had to job for the new guys coming in outta fucking nowhere for like one story. IIRC, Astarte shows up in some latter issue but I'm not sure the Citizenry does the same.

Cuchulin, Vorian, Xmaster3000 and 7 others like this.
  13. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Yeah, a completel waste and really stupid evil.

Cuchulin likes this.
  14. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Either way, Diana winning means she can invoke the divine "I'm in charge of you knuckleheads now" mojo on them.
    That might be enough for her to actually lead them.

Cuchulin and Prince Charon like this.
  15. Hidden Variable

Hidden Variable Know what you're doing yet?

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. Monsoon.

"No. I passed one... to you. Sure as the sun will rise. The slaughter will continue. Now I return... to the earth. Wind blows, rain falls... the strong... prey... on the weak... All... is as it should be."―Monsoon's final words

16. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You know a funny thing...

I don't think Renegade can ever actually beat Diana in a metaphysical battle... Because her metaphysic is Truth... And Renagade has built his everything on a foundation of lies...

17. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

UNless you interpret what he's done as conquering the truth in which case he would have a metaphysical advantage

18. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You can't conquer conceptual Truth, it's a binary existence, either a thing is or isn't.

19. Sordid Snake

Sordid Snake (Verified Viper)

"Grayven. LEGION redde!"

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  20. Someguy Somewhere

I'm going to let an expert handle this

21. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Missing full stop.

22. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Guy's I just had a scary thought that this Citizenry arc might turn into something similar to what the Sheeda did to Flash to Wonder Woman. Her seeing the true atrocities of people especially her family might cause Diana to lose a bit of faith in humanity and her people. I don't think she'll go full psycho revenge murder spree or try to kill herself as the Flash did but this could have some serious negative consequences for her. This might be me projecting anxieties but I think it's a possibility.

23. Someguy Somewhere

Well, Paragon Paul short circuited the 'league of one' story line that would have done something a bit similar for Wonder Woman, by taking down the dragon without any fortune telling. For all we know this is her last straw moment.

Alternative she's so damned good and true and hopeful that she makes an impact on the whole lot, everyone smiles and nods and goes back home to rebuild peacefully as she orders them to, and the Team gets her relations as new members to work off that karma, like Canis does on the other side.

24. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

They're bullies. This is the basic simplification of what bullies in general are.

I'm forgetting, when did we see how the Sheeda affected Flash?

nobodez, Bud-E and Lord Ernest like this.
  25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Here.

26. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

You know... I'm not so sure Grayven!OL is Conquest anymore. Not sure what he is, mind you, but Conquest always felt a bit off, and it's been getting more and more off point since he got friendship beamed.

27. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Hey Zoat, have you read the Simon Spurrier 2019 run of Constantine? I know you don’t usually read modern comics, but just read it for the first time, and a lot of it wowed me. It’s got more realistic, fairly trippy art done by Aaron Campbell, reminsiscent of some of swamp thing. It got cancelled due to Covid after 12 issues, but what’s there is really good and is back to being darkly comedic in tone, especially the above mentioned issues illustrated by Aaron Campbell, and is almost entirely separated from the rest of the current DC universe, except for the one scene in the dreaming which the same author is also currently doing a run on. It even comments on real world modern politics, something I haven’t seen a comic do in years.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  28. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

Isn't obvious? Grayven!OL is fascism. That is to say the actual definition back in the day before it became a generic insult.

"Fascism is a form of far-right, authoritarian ultranationalism characterized by dictatorial power, forcible suppression of opposition, and strong regimentation of society and of the economy"

It's on his cutie mark and everything and it has been his general governing theory. You just don't notice because he makes a habit of conquering hell holes where a strong central government is actually an improvement even if that government is oppressive by normal standards.

Cuchulin likes this.
  29. Threadmarks: Veganism (part 12)
    Mr Zoat

1st September 2012
    15:40 GMT

She lunges at once, my usual grip meaning that the daiklave is out of position to ward her off. Fortunately the daiklave is soul bound, and so grasping the blade with my left hand and pulling downwards to point the tip at her doesn't cost me my palm. She tries to duck under it but there's my knee.
    Implacable God-King's Dismissal.
    And she's gone, gore fountaining in her wake as she flies backwards through the late Citizens who had been in the stands.

Hm. So either she can't fly, didn't have it turned on or she hasn't inherited her mother's abilities. She survived, and I can see her pulling herself out of the pile of broken body parts, so she's clearly more than conventionally tough, but… Lack of mystically active planet?

Pass.

"You're not planning on just running at me-"

I glance left, noticing the stunned Legs who was just outside out the hecatomb. I extend orange cables to forcibly restore her legs.

"-again, are you?"

I lean down slightly as Theana gets back to her feet.

"Run."

Legs scrabbles back, discovers that her legs are working and then twists to a sprinting crouch before rocketing away from us. Along with the rest of the crowd.

Theana doesn't look happy, but she does look satisfied as she draws an oddly bulbous short sword and her forearm mounted blaster activates.

But I don't just shoot her. Because that won't solve the problem.

I'm a passable fighter. But I'm also the God of Conquest, and whatever some writers seem to think a war doesn't just stop just because someone on your side beats someone on the other side in single combat. I remember a Warhammer battle report where Prince Imrik fought Egrimm van Horstmann. The Chaos player aimed all of Egrimm and Baudros's attacks at Imrik's dragon, because unlike most ridden monsters in those days Imrik's dragon would reliably stick around if its master died. They failed and Egrimm died, but Baudros was still able to munch the elvish army's flank and chase off Teclis without its rider.

So what if Diana kills Astarte? So what if I kill Theana? There's no way that Artemis can sabotage enough of a fleet this big to stop it hitting Vega. There's no way I could kill this many people by myse…

Ah…

No, there's no way I could kill this many people by myself. It wouldn't be practical. Sure, they'd all die eventually, but all of my work in Vega would be undone. Try talking them around? Yeah, no. So what, then?

Well it turns out that I'm a god.

Theana looks around dismissively for a moment and then charges oh she's fast! A short lived construct shield blocks her bracer shot and then I block her cut and-.

And my fist meets hers and I feel my gauntlet crack! Fortunately she's not wearing a gauntlet and I think I just heard her fingers go. Keep the sword away knife! Knife in the reverse side of the bracer blaster like a misplaced bayonet. Who designed that?

So: faster than me, but not by enough to overwhelm me. Weaker than me, but not by enough that I can squash her. Her weapons can cope with mine but her armour's worse than mine. Unfortunately, I need to use my god powers to cow an entire civilisation because I suspect that Diana's going to try and be civilised.
    Inexorable Assault.
    I swing my left fist, turning her knife aside with my vambrace and managing to strike her face.
    Soldier Supplants Warrior.
    I need to break her. I need to break her people through her.
    My Grand Purpose.
    She kicks out, and I half-turn to let my leg armour take it before reaching out and punching down on her right shoulder, sending her to one knee!
    Know Your Place.
    A stab from her knife gets blocked by a construct shield and the tip of my daiklave -which is now effectively just a sharp-edged shield- opens a small cut on her breastplate.

Ring, contact Diana.

Unable to comply, Diana has no earpiece.

Of course.

Theana takes advantage of my distraction and gets a clear shot at my chest, environmental shield shimmering and armour straining to defy the attack. The tip of my daiklave slices into the mechanism and wrecks it, but my chest is burning and I can't afford to show it.
    Common Purpose Methodology.
    Start using your damn god-powers, Diana!

Theana grimaces, I assume due to her lack of visible progress. Her fingers appear to have healed though I didn't feel any magic being used. Nanotech, or some sort of alchemy..? Don't know. I assume her anger is due to the fact that she's not used to this sort of fight happening without visible progress. And… Yes, the pain in my chest is getting less. Her gun isn't stopping my regeneration.

She tries to stamp my left foot and I bring my daiklave down, nicking her thigh before she can withdraw it. I then lunge forward while she's off balance, forcing her to awkwardly hop back-. She punches, accepting falling to the ground in exchange for just being able to hit me, a blow I take on my shoulder armour. I feel it, but she's not anchored and it doesn't hurt, merely serving to send her flying further away from me.

I rapid-fly into her direction of travel anchor myself and punch down, sending her crashing down-. Through the deck and down into the service corridor below.
    Imagine My Boot Stamping On Your Face, Forever.

Ring, how's Diana-.
    Who Is Your Truer Self?
    Never mind. I mean, that wouldn't be my approach, but if it-.

I generate another shield to block a rushed volley.
    Powerless Before My Might.
    And then I slam down, left heel landing on her wrist -which doesn't break, but does cause her to lose her grip on her sword- and right foot landing on her throat. I stow my daiklave as she aims her blaster, but the damage I did a moment ago meant that those shots-

The gun explodes!

-were a bad idea.

I flick the sword away with a construct and then rise up slightly, Theana not missing a beat as she pulls her legs under her-.
    Know Your Better.
    I twist, going head down and using my aero-discs to anchor myself in position as I grab her neck in my left hand and punch her in the face. Her hands latch onto my hand almost at once but between the burned arm and head trauma she's not working at full strength or coordination.
    Know Your Better.
    I punch again, tightening my hold slightly so that whatever force doesn't go right into her brain jerks her spine!
    Know Your Better.
    She tries to kick at me, but at this angle she can't get meaningful force behind it.
    Know Your Better.
    Another punch, and she gives up on removing my hand from her throat and tries to reach for my face. But her arms are too short, and the best she can do is grip my vambrace and try weakly to tug it off.
    Know Your Better.
    Another punch and her eyes lose focus.
    Know Your Better.
    Another punch and her hands come loose.
    Know Your Better.
    Another punch and her body goes limp.
    Know Your Better.
    Another-

[​IMG]

-punch…

I haul her unconscious body up, right myself in the air and then fly upwards.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  30. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    No.