1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

2. BrotherofaStudio

BrotherofaStudio Know what you're doing yet?

I see, she probably didn't take too well to him at first. How did they wind up becoming a couple, also is Seaspray still alive thanks to them?

Alright then.

I see, thank you. While I would have liked to know a bit more of what Paul did from his arrival to the first time we see him this does help.

Really looking forward to learning what other changes he has brought to that universe.

I agree that Optimus has though things out, especially since he regained his memories as the Thirteenth Prime.

Doccer, Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.
  3. Mr Zoat

She was in a bit of a state, and he had a clear plan and purpose beyond 'fight and die'. And he flirted with her, something that she wasn't used to but actually rather liked.

I have no idea of the status of Seaspray in that setting.

4. Threadmarks: Feasibility Study (part 8)
    Mr Zoat

21st November 2012
    08:21 GMT -5

We all stare at the JSI building as Alan and I fly our team over New York.

John smirks on the orange platform next to me. "Very subtle. I like it."

It's not subtle at all. A giant skyscraper with… The upper quarter of the building actually floating over the rest in what strikes me as an incredibly bad design choice. If anything interfered with the anti-gravity system it would just fall and kill everyone-.

"Nth metal, of course."

Interceptor glares at me from her position slightly above us.

"You aren't authorised to scan anything."

"I didn't; it's just obvious. No one would be stupid enough to build something like that with a normal anti-gravity system, so you used a material that would always be 'on'. It's still a bad design but at least it's not an immanent threat to life."

"That's a…" Alan frowns. "That's a lot of Nth metal to make a building float. Carter always told me that he didn't have much of the stuff."

"Critical resource availability is a classified topic."

Alan raises his left eyebrow at her. "Can't be that critical if you're using it to make a building."

"Critical-."

"Okay." He raises his right hand, smiling. "Okay. Forget I asked."

Oliver is sitting on the edge of Alan's construct, left leg dangling over the edge. He carefully studies the city, and-. And the several other buildings which have 'JSI' inscribed on their frontier.

He does not look happy.

Then he looks up towards Interceptor. "So, you think I'm a cosplayer, huh?"

"No."

He gives her a moment to expand on that, and is disappointed.

"What, the JSI doesn't do public relations training?"

"Either you're telling the truth, in which case you're not a member of the public, or you're lying, in which case you're a criminal. In either case you're wasting my time."

Oliver nods, and I already know that he's going to-.

"So what's he like?"

"I've never met him. As I understand it, he's a well-regarded hero in Star City."

"He's a member of the JSI?"

"All superheroes worth mentioning are members of the JSI."

"Huh."

Interceptor glances down when he doesn't have a follow up, but it's Dinah who speaks up.

"Am I a member?"

"Are you Dinah Drake?"

"That was my mother."

Oliver looks away for a moment with a smirk. I… Seem to remember from the comics that he actually mistook her for her mother when he was first starting out. And that he'd had a crush on her mother. For obvious reasons I've never asked

"Who was your father?"

"Larry Lance."

"Oh."

Dinah narrows her eyes slightly, more in curiosity than hostility. "What do you mean, 'oh'?"

"In our universe she was only married to him for a few years. She had an affair with Starman and they both left their spouses. It was a big scandal at the time. They were both discharged from the Society. I think they had a daughter, but her name wasn't 'Dinah'."

Dinah takes a moment to process that, while I-.

A statue. Dominator, a couple of khundians, facing people I assume are local superheroes. A list of-. That's a long list of names.

"Why is there a statue of a Dominator down there?"

"You know of them?"

"I destroyed one of their prisons. They're a distant fourth on my priority list."

"'Distant'-?" Interceptor scowls. "The Dominators attacked Earth and made off with tens of thousands of humans as slaves! That memorial commemorates everyone who died fighting them and everyone they stole! Who are you prioritising above them?!"

"The Reach, Apokolips, then the Spider Guild. Our Dominators are pretty unpleasant, but they aren't expansionist. The Reach are, and they subvert, enslave and then exterminate their neighbours. Apokolips is working on a plan to mind control the entire universe. And the Spider Guilders eat people."

"The Dominion vivisect people."

"But not many, and not particularly fast. I did say they were fourth."

Alan looks at-. Yeah, okay. We make eye contact and I give him the nod to take over.

"Interceptor, how were they able to do that?"

"They had a space fleet and a huge number of soldiers. We couldn't hit their ships, and we couldn't fire nukes at our own cities. That's why the JSI has put so much effort into building up our forces: to make sure that no one invades the Earth again."

"How long ago was that?"

"About fifteen years."

Hm. Reminds me a little of what Abra said that the Reach ended up doing: grabbing as many people with superpowers as possible and setting up a colony. But while the Reach do sometimes sustain useful slave populations for a time, the Dominators generally don't bother. They have tributary worlds but they generally don’t do much with them, having long since learned everything that studying them could teach them.

Of course… I do know where the Dominion is. There aren't that many worlds that the humans they abducted might have been taken to.

"I assume that the force they used was almost entirely Khundian? None of their own military?"

"Yes, that's.. right. Why?"

"I'll need access to your historical-"

A green streak flies towards us from the JSI building, the pale green flickering flame aura making it pretty clear who it is.

Commander Scott comes to a halt just ahead of us, floating in the air and staring at us in that way Batman does when he's waiting for you to make a problem for him. He's wearing what looks like a silver spacesuit, minus the helmet. Interceptor comes to attention in the air at once, while the rest of us just stare back.

Alan floats closer and I mentally compare the two. The Commander has less hair, and he looks a lot more fierce. More hostile. Might be situational, of course.

"Hey."

The Commander looks at him for a moment longer, then nods to Interceptor.

"He's me. All of you, come with me for debriefing."

Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
  5. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Should be ‘telling the truth’.

6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"Oliver is"

Well that's awkward as hell.

Though you could potentially use them as a training exercise for your Lanterns in dismantling evil regimes.

7. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

No wonder the welcome party was so hostile.

Interceptor is still a rude bitch though.
    I wonder who she is?

8. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

You think that's awkward?

You don't know the whole story then.

When DC realized that Black Canary was older than Green Arrow, they decided to "fix" it by having Dinah Drake possess the mindless body of her own daughter.

Because that's not extremely creepy and offsetting, nosiree.

She's Kara.

Kara who was found by the navy ala skyboy, so raised a military brat, and now a colonel in the JSI, so she landed significantly before Supergirl did because generally they don't make 16 year olds colonels.

9. Ina_Meishou

Ina_Meishou Not too sore, are you?

Let's be real, Comics writers being completely out of touch and unaware of how fucked up their plot implications are is like, fifty categories of jeopardy question material, at least.

10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

...wow...

KaiKolo, Ardy, Wheenesss and 5 others like this.
  11. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

God, Interceptor is such a child "What do you mean you disagree with my view on reality???"

Paul knows where the Dominators are.

Paul to JSI: "Hop in bitch, we're doing a Genocide!"

12. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Yeah, there is a reason the comics code existed.

As much as it crippled stories, wanna know what we hot once it was lifted? Not only a few good stories but also quite a lot of bullshit.

13. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, John coming through with that wonderfully British sense of humour. It's crazy how insane architecture can get in a world with super-science. You think some of the stuff we pull off today is crazy? Imagine if they could go in with a lot of anti-gravity tech...

Makes for one hell of a visual design, though. No mistaking that building for anything else.

And how would you even know if he did? Scans aren't bright green sweeps of a scan-line... Unless you're used to bad unskilled lanterns.

And there's always the possibility of someone or something coming along who can turn off the anti-gravity anyway...

Man's got a point. You know how many weapons you could wake with however much is holding that up?

The lady seems tense. This is proving to be a really bad day, it seems.

Yeah, I would not be surprised if he was getting a 'fascist' vibe from the place. This sort of thing hits right on one of his berserk buttons.

After all, a cosplayer would be more accurate. He's probably got the colours wrong for the local equivalent.

And did this lady pay any attention during it? :p

Poke the dragon? Man can't help himself. Especially when it can get a funny reaction.

Well, at least some things are constants.

...Because if you're not a member, you're a supervillain? :oops: Kind of obvious, I suppose.

Oh, this is going to be awkward.

Wrong era, sadly. Though a lot of adaptions tend to simplify things on that front.

Hey, with legs like hers... Some men might want to get their head crushed between them... Heck, I bet Canary cosplay is a popular adult material category.

Though the wiki is kind of sparse on him, he's a decent guy.

I'm guessing things didn't go so well around this corner of the Multiverse.

...Let me guess, said daughter is going about as 'Starwoman'?

Ah, another divergence. Probably something related to the 'Invasion!' event in the late Eighties.

Which is quite long, with a lot of skulls.

All good reasons to put the Dominators lower on the kill list.

To be fair, there's only so many ways you could industrialise that sort of thing. So of course it's an artisanal project. :p

Ah, Alan. A true master of handling OL's more... Extreme moments.

Hmm... Yeah, one thing the JSA lacked back in the day was high-power members. Spectre, Doctor Fate and Johnny Thunderbolt were more or less the top three due to God magic, Order magic and 5th-Dimensional Imp magic. With Green Lantern at fourth and Starman fifth, I think.
    (Edit: I always forget about Fate...)

Best hold of on that rescue mission, OL. The locals might object to that sort of slap in the face to their enemy.

OL, No. This is not your universe, and it is not your problem. Yet.

Ah. Wonder what he calls himself, as a Superhero name? Green Lantern, or Sentinel? If he bothers at all.

I bet a big chunk of that is regrets over the Invasion thing. That would be one big old 'My Greatest Shame' for him...

Well, that went well.

So, this should be interesting. I wonder if there'll be tensions between Alans, between the cynical old Commander and the innately idealistic Blue Lantern. Meanwhile, we got to see a little more of what shaped this world they way it did. An alien invasion does tend to have an impact on the world's culture. I bet things weren't pleasant after the invasion wrapped up. Regular people wondering why they put up with the 'freaks' if they can't protect them... That'll make for an undercurrent of rebellion.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
  14. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

That would have been an event that would have left as much trauma as 9/11 on the public zeitgeist.

And since Interceptor is a colonel in the comics, it's quite possible she partook in that battle, that the people who died included her friends, that the people who were taken she sees as a failure on her part to live up to her duty.

Paul might have just done the equivalent of saying "al-Qaeda, no big deal" to one of the 9/11 firefighters.

What would be surprising is if she weren't offended.

KaiKolo, Vorian, Istaran and 16 others like this.
  15. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Possibly more than fifty, but I think in a lot of cases, it may not be 'do not know': it's more like 'know, but utterly do not care, or like it that way.' The hard part is (on the rare occasions that I wonder enough) working out who could not care less, and who is just that oblivious. Mind you, some of it is a result of the meanings of words and phrases changing between when something was written and when people started calling it problematic (or shifts in the zeitgeist).

We'd probably have been better off if they came up with a comics rating system rather than the 'one size fits all' Comics Code. It's one of the reasons I tend to include that in alternate history writing.

Vorian, TopHatWearer, Ardy and 8 others like this.
  16. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Nevermind. You have posted the chapter I feared was missing. I apologise for the kneejerk reaction.

Now I'm hoping for a blue/green Alan combination attack vs something.

mastermenthe likes this.
  17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It's easy to see why she would assume that.

He at least has the green right.

That seems to be their belief.

Don't forget Fate.

Cuchulin, TopHatWearer, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  18. PKRudeBoy

PKRudeBoy Making the rounds.

Honestly, none of these universes are his, except maybe the first second by adoption, so shouldn’t be his problem. Yet here we are.

19. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

See LePaul, that's how you do proper diplomacy.

20. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

Paul with Blue Lantern and Powered up John is a bit OP for raiding the Dominion. Should be fun.

Cuchulin and Alexandercctv like this.
  21. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    I've been trying to find what comic I read it in. No luck so far. I think it was round about the time they got married.
    It's not just comic writers. Try playing through Heroes of Might and Magic V some time. It starts well enough, then it gets... 'This is the story?'

22. ChestBurster

ChestBurster Getting sticky.

Can somebody please get rid of Vaermina. I keep hoping that they finally say something positive for once but it's all pointless barbs and shameless misleading drivel. Hate watching is not something you need in your life, grow up please.

I'm chuckling at how Interceptor is continously trying to start a fight with OL. I do think there is some undeserved hostility on her part, probably comes with the law enforcement life I guess. It's a very sad sight to see when somebody defaults to seeing threats that aren't there when confronted with confusion. And OL is very good at being unpredictable even to his friends. Here's to hoping this doesn't end in superhero infighting.

23. ReddoNagaiyo

ReddoNagaiyo Getting sticky.

I don't know if it was elaborated on before but is Teekl dead dead or can Paul get her back from the Holden of Avarice since she was turned into a construct?

Cuchulin and Dur'id the Druid like this.
  24. dw7thdoctor

dw7thdoctor Getting sticky.

I believe even if that were possible within the story's logic, the writer wouldn't do it, because that was a sacrifice that showed us one of Paul's faults of rushing into things. It would also lessen the impact that the movement had.

25. Sordid Snake

Sordid Snake (Verified Viper)

Honden.

<Darths and Droids>They make motorcycles</Darths and Droids>

Cuchulin and Lord Ernest like this.
  26. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Hard disagree. Comics code was in use til late eighties, and the supremely terrible Carol Danvers pregnancy storyline came out in 1980.

The Black Canary thing was revealed in 1983.

Comics code didn't really apply to truly horrible stuff, only the things that were considered inappropriate for children, such as splatter, horror tropes, sympathetic criminals, nudity and gay people.

ChestBurster, Cuchulin, PDV and 7 others like this.
  27. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Huh, it seems Paul is trying to do that to 1) make this universe better and 2) as a form of diplomacy, to make the JSI see him and his team as friends. Can't be too hostile to someone who saves a ton of lives, right?

Eh, a lot of the 'Kara totally has a crush on her cousin' stuff and the Comet stuff happened in the Silver Age, the heyday of the comics code. It didn't stop the weird implications when Lois and Lana constantly wanted Superman to marry them, but it did stop stuff like authority being critiqued and showing gay people.

Still, I'm never over the sheer amount of comic superheroes who have been raped or sexually harassed/assaulted with the comics glossing it over.

28. BrotherofaStudio

BrotherofaStudio Know what you're doing yet?

Then things went much better than I though they would.
    He was killed when his ship was blown up by a bomb used by the Decepticon Dreadwing, Wheeljack was just about to have a reunion with him when the explosion happened and so Wheeljack tracked down Dreadwing all the way to Earth. Paul and Slipstream could have located the bomb and prevented it from going off in this AU if you wish.

29. Mr Zoat

How did you think they'd go?
    That doesn't seem like something it would occur to them to do.

30. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

The way they handled what energon is and how cybertronians work is one of the ways the Prime series is better than the others. Having a rare and unique food supply is a far more realistic conflict generator than just needing energy, which would be trivial for a space-faring society.