1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus COVID-19 Pandemic

Discussion in 'General' started by Biigoh, Mar 16, 2020.

1. MadGreenSon

MadGreenSon Verified Devil Tiger, The Childish Yandere

And to think, all of this most recent swell of anti-vax seems to have started with some British guys trying to scam some money selling vaccines and an old doctor who lost his medical license due to stealing narcotics for personal use and claimed he could cure autism by giving children pills made out of his own bone marrow.

Nowadays, there are multiple millionaires and maybe billionaires sucking money out of people they've duped with anti-vax bullshit. It's a helluva an industry.

aquinas, Xicree, Daytripper and 5 others like this.
  2. TotalAbsolutism

TotalAbsolutism Magnificent Bastard Moderator

Never forget that Andrew motherfucking Wakefield, one of the big 'heroes' of the movement, had a financial interest in split vaccines when he came out specifically against the combined MMR vaccine; and only pivoted to full-on anti-vax when he lost all credibility as a result of his shady dealings.

evildice, Xicree, Daytripper and 7 others like this.
  3. MadGreenSon

I think after losing his medical license he had little choice if he wanted to maintain his awesome lifestyle.

rocket501, Xicree, Daytripper and 4 others like this.
  4. Knightfall

Knightfall Nui Harime lover, Cynic, and Archivist

Well my Christmas is ruined, my dipshit of a sister got COVID. And well that was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. Just spent the last 20 minutes going on a tirade.

5. Amazon Climber

Amazon Climber Wholesomely Depraved

Sorry, man. There’s nothing quite like COVID to find out which of your family members are dipshits.

6. Imabot

Imabot Connoisseur.

Unfortunately I'm now among people who had close family taken by Covid.

My cousin. Just two weeks a go started feeling unwell, got to hospital and was diagnosed with COVID-19, few days a go doctors managed to cure him from virus but it caused extensive damage to his lungs and had to be connected to respiratory device. He lost 70% of his lungs capacity. Yesterday night he passed away.

He was 34, married, no children, youngest of his siblings. Strong healthy man who eat healthy food, regularly trained at gym and was amateur kickboxer. He bought some land few months a go and planned to build a house when spring comes. He wasn't vaccinated.

A good, strong healthy man is now past tense after two weeks after being infected.

My heart goes to his wife, mother, bothers and sisters who mourn him.

Please have yourself and your family members vaccinated if possible. It doesn't matter how healthy person is. Without vaccination they are gambling with thier lives.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
    MobiusOneDT, evildice, Eisen and 5 others like this.
  7. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

[​IMG]

It's my impression that anyone who could learn this without a painful personal lesson already got vaccinated, but sometimes it's not in your own hands.

The vaccination centers I have heard about from people who work there -- which isn't many -- say that they're experiencing a trickle of first-dose clients, presumably because the anti-vax bully in their lives is no longer preventing them from doing so.

Hopefully some people are able to learn from their mistakes without losing a loved one, but it's not easy to admit you were wrong, especially not when you got conned.

8. evildice

Okay this isn't happening in my area but apparently there are some other reasons for the recent upswing in first-time vaccine clients:

[​IMG]

9. MadGreenSon

Well… I wouldn’t have thought of that as a way to motivate people to look after their own best interests, but if it works, it works.

10. Aaron Fox

Aaron Fox That Crazy/Not-Crazy Guy

Eh, given everything so far, that would probably cause an underground liquor market...

11. MadGreenSon

I think that with all the people lining up to get a shot that market will be for real anti-vaxxers only and those guys generally are spending all their spare cash on the scam artists who prey on them and wouldn't be able to afford inflated prices for black market booze.

12. Aaron Fox

Aaron Fox That Crazy/Not-Crazy Guy

This entire pandemic has shown us some serious negatives on the human condition, that the 'pessimists' of the political philosophy world aren't that far off the mark, as much as we deride them.

I mean we used to laugh at all those zombie/plague apocalypse movies... now we've seen the events that lead up to those movies play out in real life, just not with the horrid aftereffect of mass zombies/black death grade death tolls that are usually with them.

There are reasons why alcohol has so few limitations to it despite the fact that its major negative effects and all of them lead to humanity's inability to not stop drinking alcohol outside of serious medical problems. They will get that alcohol no matter what, even if it means making it themselves. Even Russia under communism wasn't exempt from this (Lenin tried, but he ultimately failed even with Russia's second-most coveted drink in the form of tea (and yes, the same substance that had the British Empire become the largest opium ring in history just so they can fuel their own addiction) at his disposal, and I wouldn't be surprised that the late 19th century versions of those vodka stills that showed up during the years before the USSR's collapse were abundant despite Lenin's best efforts).

13. DeathShade

DeathShade Dol Amroth Comes

Just making me think of American Prohibition with this. When something is legal you can place restrictions on its use, like underage drinking laws and so on.

When something is illegal, all those regulations go out the window. And once they are already breaking the law in buying alcohol in the first place, who you give it to doesn’t matter, it’s not like giving your four year vodka will earn you a harsher sentence when you’re already getting prison.

Or so the story went.

DrakenWise and Rakdos92 like this.
  14. evildice

Underage drinking happens more than underage illegal drug use.

Legalization reduces the profit margin of criminals, and tends to make the product cleaner / safer / fewer contamination & comorbidity dangers, but legalization doesn't mean you reduce the number of users.

COVID Tax:

[​IMG]

15. DrakenWise

DrakenWise Getting sticky.

Found out today that a family member who didn't get vaxxed just went to the hospital for high temp. Ended up testing positive, but was sent back home or so I've heard, and is I guess recuperating now.

Now I'm getting headaches and sweats from worry for them.
    This is just frustrating. I've sent them some ensure and juice for some fluids, but not sure what else I can do.

I hate hearing some of my other relatives who did vaccinate go through the "I told you so." conversations with each other. at least they are not doing it to my sick family members face.

Too much stress!

Xicree and bryanfran36 like this.
  16. Pez

Pez Spaceman

The general rule when dealing with loved ones that test positive is - if they aren't having respiratory problems or have a dangerously high temperature, don't stress out about it. Just suggest whatever their doctors suggest (most likely rest and fluids).

People who play the "I told you so" game deserve to be punched in the junk. I have an unvaxxed cousin that has apparently contracted Covid twice now (maybe three times, don't remember) since 2020. My wife's side has a family that's pretty conspiracy nutters and have all gotten it. Most of the people I know that got it (both family and not) all got the shot. The current shots (mRNA ones) don't prevent someone from getting Covid or passing it along, it's job is just to reduce symptoms.

I don't know anybody personally that died from it, but I know people who know people that did. The majority of those were people that already had health issues and/or were old. If the hospital sent your family member home, then he/she is probably okay.

Just because it's Covid doesn't mean you should panic. Treat it like you would the flu or pneumonia, and follow the advice of the medical professionals that you pay/trust.

TheMidnightRook likes this.
  17. evildice

ShadowStepper1300 and Vorian like this.
  18. Pez

Pez Spaceman

...Or just go about your life naturally. I don't think anybody is surprised that healthy living and proper diet really help dealing with illnesses.

Malcolmo, bryanfran36 and Rakdos92 like this.
  19. evildice

> implying anyone in 2022 lives "naturally"

How the heck are you posting on the internet "naturally"?

Thanks for the free advice, but I'm going to ignore that and instead continue to live in a house with AC, cook my food which I didn't hunt nor gather nor grow myself, wear glasses and take medication, and enjoy the benefits of modern life ... plus a bit more walking outside, in a city which has paved streets and sculpted parks.

With a mask on, because I'm a human and we use tools to tie Mother Nature down and fuck her.

20. Pez

Pez Spaceman

You're being deliberately obtuse, which isn't cool, man. This is QQ, not SB. We're better than that.

You know what I meant, just go about your life naturally, like you always have. The amount of healthy people that have turned absolutely paranoid about this is astounding.

The science from back when the pandemic started stated that only fitted N95's and K95's actually offered any protection. The gov't/CDC knew that then, but held that data. Nearly everybody I see that wears masks wear cloth ones, which the CDC admits aren't effective.

But if you want to go out and sit on a bench in a park with your mask on because you think it helps, you do you, dude. If you're happy, I'm happy. The world needs more happiness.

Malcolmo and Rakdos92 like this.
  21. evildice

Cloth masks protect other people, not the wearer.

I usually wear a KN95 because I want to protect both them and me, mostly because some idiots don't seem to care about protecting either of us.

The world needs more well-informed kindness, and yet we get these vengeful, deluded psychopaths who think they're being persecuted when asked to behave with a mild degree of consideration for anyone else.

(And no, there is no "live your life naturally" on this planet -- nature lost that match with a KO, perhaps even a fatality.)

22. TotalAbsolutism

Whilst I appreciate the sentiment, this is treading dangerously close to the sort of thing that gets people permanently ejected from this thread.

If not for your last statement it may well have crossed that line already.

In any case, the number of QQers alone who have noted their losses in this thread justifies a certain degree of 'paranoia'.

23. MissileTeatime

MissileTeatime By the power of Vaporware!

I mean, I basically agree with you, but... turns out they're not very good even at that.

I only found out about this about 24 hours ago, but it turns out you need airflow and/or "knock out everything larger than like an individual virus" grade filtration to be effective. Otherwise the particles carrying the virus can float around in the air for hours and cross large rooms. The best cloth masks are somewhat effective, and lots aren't even that.

Rakdos92, Eisen, Grey Lantern and 2 others like this.
  24. TotalAbsolutism

Thanks for providing the appropriate sources and citations.

That's real fucking depressing though.

ShadowStepper1300 likes this.
  25. evildice

That's super interesting, thanks.

Regarding sanitization / washing not being effective, I wonder about the old NZ story where they allegedly found the trash can and elevator button which had (at the time) been blamed for causing a minor outbreak.

Regarding cloth masks, NYC did see a significant drop in COVID cases after use became wide-spread -- is it possible that at sea level, a fairly humid atmosphere would mean some benefit was derived from the cloth?

Either way, I'm going to stick with the KN95s going forward.

26. MissileTeatime

MissileTeatime By the power of Vaporware!

I'm no expert, but the Wired article I linked mentioned atmospheric conditions like temperature and humidity being factors in how long particles can stay in the air, so I find it plausible. I don't find it so plausible that I would risk changing my behavior off that "it seems plausible", though.

And yeah, the key takeaways are "cloth masks are better than nothing, but N95s are like twice that much better than cloth masks" and "ventilation scale dilution is at least as big a factor as masks".

27. TotalAbsolutism

So, in a turn of events that will shock literally nobody, the 'anti-mandate' '''protest''' in New Zealand now has a lovely side of 'actual intention to overthrow the government'.

What is it about a global pandemic that brings these morons out in droves?

28. MadGreenSon

When there is something broadly wrong going on, like a pandemic, people want something to blame and will go all out for those who give it to them. Thus credulous rubes who buy into various conspiracy theory bullshit are the perfect pawns to use for that kind of thing. Tell them what they want to hear and you can herd them towards anything you want.

29. TotalAbsolutism

I don't want to point fingers, but I'd just like to note that the vast majority of the "Hey what if we just overthrow the democratically elected Govt." rhetoric is coming from the '''''reporters''''' of Counterspin Media on the ground in Wellington.

Make of that as you will.

Vorian likes this.
  30. Pez

Pez Spaceman

Do you have a source? I'm more familiar with what's going on in Australia, but I haven't seen anything about any form insurrection in NZ, just ongoing peaceful protests.

The problem with this is that the narrative keeps changing. What was labeled a conspiracy at one point and got people deplatformed (such as claims that it originated from a lab in Wuhan or that there were some pretty bad side effects) have changed and are now just regular theories of a completely non-conspiracy kind. Sure, there are plenty of nutters, but they exist on both sides, from the maskless idiots that cough or spit on people to the masked that shrill and shriek at people who don't wear them.

Some people want something to blame, that's true. But I'd wager that a majority of them are just tired of all the lies and bullshit. The goalposts kept moving, and many of the things that the media and politicians and health care professionals and media said turned out to be untrue. The populations of the world kept being told "just a short lockdown to end the pandemic, then everything will go back to normal" to "you need to wear masks everywhere until the pandemic is over" to "you need to get vaccinated to keep from getting the 'Rona or you're killing grandma" to "okay so the shot won't stop you from getting the 'Rona, but we won't let you into stores or restaurants without". People are also tired of seeing celebs and politicians getting special treatment while they are forced to obey the rules (celebs at the Super Bowl, all the politicians that were caught maskless despite publicly forcing their constituents to wear them). I'm also sure a lot of people don't like being forced into taking a medical procedure to keep their jobs.

Project Veritas has some interest video of an FDA Executive talking about how President Biden wants to make the shot an annual requirement as well as how the FDA is paid nearly a billion dollars a year from big pharma.

lunardraco, Guardian Box and Rakdos92 like this.