1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Interest Check & Idea Thread

Discussion in 'Q&R Index' started by Vanathor, Feb 19, 2013.

1. OverReactionGuy

OverReactionGuy The only Sane one left

Xilph, John At DAwn

I created a thread for this in hopes to get more votes and stuff. You may find it here. Penny's Curious Adventures

I'm still counting your votes from here, but it might be a good idea to put them in the thread itself. Thank you.

2. Reinhard Von Lohengramm

Reinhard Von Lohengramm Con Tý

"Do you think this is a war that can won by love and hope alone? If you do, you are severely deluded.
    This a galactic struggle for the liberation of all sentient species and all those who stand in our way, stand in the way of that cause.
    If you do not stand with us, you stand against us. If you do not stand with us, you stand with exploitation, degradation and tyranny.
    Those who stand with exploitation, degradation and tyranny will be destroyed by us.
    If you do not wish to be destroyed by us, stand with us.
    We are the Union of Soviet Space Republics.

Workers of the Universe, Unite!" - Junko Stalin

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  3. Custom Critical

Custom Critical Devout Budding Lotus

Just in case it doesn't catch on off-site, how many takers do I have for a time travel/dimension travel quest?

4. Lazurman

Lazurman That Others May Fap

Premise?

5. Custom Critical

It will be a mix of a nation builder/strategic/action-adventure. Are you familiar with Sieg Zeon or Crossville Hero Quest at all?

6. Lazurman

Lazurman That Others May Fap

Nope. Don't know nothing 'bout em, 'fraid to say.

I thought it would be more PC driven instead of an empire quest. I'll give it a look if you make it, but it is very rare that I find a time-travel-based fic that I like.

7. Custom Critical

The player-character format is different from the empire-builder/PC hybrid that I'm pushing for. I can always run the PC version if it's more popular (haha, PC version). I wonder if you can help me out though. Why is it that time travel/dimensions isn't a popular genre/story mechanic?

8. SwiftRosenthal

SwiftRosenthal Connoisseur.

I'd prefer more of a PC quest, focused on the character trying to collect powerups and waifus get home. Go to Exalted and earn an Exaltation, also allowing backtracking to previously visited worlds via Malfeas; go to Geneforge and use too many canisters or even the titular device, protected from the worst consequences via Exalted Limit Breaks and anti-UMI charms; go to FFX to copy the Aeons, fiends, and sinspawn into Shaper Creations and also fill out the Sphere Grid (not just a gameplay mechanic); go to Borderlands and do whatever (if female PC, maybe use Exalted or Geneforge knowledge to make yourself a Siren); go to Warhammer (either one) for some smiting; and of course solve various problems in each setting along the way.

New worlds should be determined by OOC votes, not IC character decisions.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  9. Custom Critical

Let me get this out of the way before I rant. The places the character(s) visit would be left to the readers. That's like Questing 101. Always include your readers in decision-making. I'm new to questing but I know that's the general philosophy. A quest without options or reader involvement is heresy. Not sure why you're worried because I gotchu there.

If the PC quest ends up more of a thing than the PC/empire hybrid, it'll be pretty minimal, yet have a bit of mechanics for powerups and waifus more fun. I'm not sure what you're talking about after the bit about your preference. I know Warhammer, but in case you're wondering, this quest comes from my own fictional work called Temporus Litari, or Chrononauts. Now, because you mention other works, it's possible to visit them/homages of them, as I designed this setting to represent everything that exists (since it's spacetime and all). If it's a thing, it can plausibly exist in the quest.

Initially, the character sheet is simple. Because you've elected for the PC option and not the hybrid, you'll just choose a travel method. But yes, PC-mode means action, adventure and more adventure. Perhaps I should run a demo first. Just to see what interest is like. You had a lot to say. What are your thoughts?

10. SwiftRosenthal

You misunderstood me. I just meant that the PC, as a character, shouldn't know in advance where s/he is going next, except when backtracking. The voters obviously would have to know, or at least see each option phrased as a poetic hint that they have to either decipher or scan for the giveaway invisitext.

The rest of my post was just a list of setting suggestions with target powerups and one possible order they could be tackled in - focused on the synergy between Craft: Genesis (especially Kimberian Craft: Genesis), Shaping, and worlds like Spira and BL!Pandora that have wide varieties of extremely dangerous wildlife. Such a PC might later go to Farscape, create a template of Talyn or an OC Leviathan/Peacekeeper hybrid, and then use a freshly-created individual as their personal transport in all spacefaring settings from that point on.

The PC should have the option of settle down at any point to do some empire-building, but that should arise organically instead of happening at the beginning.

11. Custom Critical

Ah. So that's what you want. Well, I could always work the dimensional feature in early on. In the reserve post that I will remember to make this time will be the character sheet and the meta stuff. Here is a simple system that will make it to where the PC wouldn't know what's next, but you and I would.

EXAMPLE: The (device name here)'s dimensional travel function works as follows. The user has access to a list of dimensions. Each uses a three-digit combination (ranging from 000 to 999). The user must punch in the digits of the dimension they wish to visit, where they will be taken when the device does its work. From a meta point of view, you guys (the voters) would choose a three digit number, and vote on ideas for what that dimension is like. The character will just be punching in random numbers as per your idea, but you would vote on where they go. Making sense? System seem fair and fun or does it need tweaking?

You lost me with the bit about powerups.

12. SwiftRosenthal

I was thinking more along the lines of:

[ ] A world where A, B, and C (Invisitext: World 1)
    [ ] A world where D, E, and F (Invisitext: World 2)
    [ ] A world where G, H, and I (Invisitext: World 3)
    etc.

This allows the GM to minimize the research needed on their end by focusing on worlds that they already know - or that voters from the thread can advise them on over PMs or whatever.

As for the powerups, I assume from your confusion is in regards to at least one of Exalted, Geneforge, and Farscape?

13. Custom Critical

So, I come up with a handful of possible locations and you all vote on my selections? That's not bad, actually. I can just put the options that I have the most muse for writing and familiarity with the setting. I thought of that briefly but figured you'd go the opposite way.

It seems you're questing me right now. Heh.

I know Farscape. That was the show when I was a kid. Nothing will touch Stargate though. Stargate is love; Stargate is life. I'm not familiar with Exalted or Geneforge. I did look at the link provided for the latter, and it's an interesting concept. It's like build-a-familiar workshop, or something. The only fandoms mentioned which rang bells were FFX (not a fan of the series but know about its basic concepts), Warhammer (FOR THE GREATER GOOD!), and Borderlands (not a fan).

14. Custom Critical

Sorry for double-post, but has this forum ever seen any spiritual or psychic quests? Just curious.

15. SwiftRosenthal

Geneforge is one of those settings that you can't properly explain without giving away major spoilers for the end of the first installment. The base setting is one where a mage class (the Shapers) use their fleshcrafting magic and command of their creations (including the humanoid Servile breed) to justify their rule over a major continent. Everything slowly goes to hell after a) an isolated Shaper research facility invents a magic-based microscope, discovers DNA, and begins to use their magic to manipulate it directly - and not just for their Creations b) a large group of Serviles and other creations are left alone long enough to start developing real intelligence, and c) the secrets of Shaping leak out of the Shapers' control and into the general population. By the start of the fourth game (of five), the Shapers are struggling to put down a full-scale (bio)robot revolution.

16. Custom Critical

That's interesting. I mean, hey -- I'll have to see if I can't work that in somehow. Obviously I can't use a fandom setting for one of our visits if I don't know what's going on or what it is about. Good news though. I am running a proto version of the PC version off-site. I've already advertised it here, but there is a demo thread in this part of the forum so perhaps I should try it there to get my feet wet and to see how much interest is gained. It doesn't seem like much though on QQ. Unless everyone is hiding.

Given up hosting it on SV. The thread went days without much interest making it crystal clear that interest isn't high enough to justify that quest. I'll try QQ which I'm already doing and SB. Hopefully one of the two sites take.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  17. Guile

Guile Clothes That Kill Virgins

Since it was pointed out this wasn't a very NSFW idea, thought I'd drop it off here, too.

Basically, you are a farmer of magical grain. This is a job with a surprising difficulty curve and chance of death. Use qi spells to improve your crop yield; stave off jealous neighbors who want to steal your secrets or take over your fields for their own cultivation; battle spirits of pestilence with your kung fu. When the food is harvested, it also fights you, that it might cling to life; only grow what you are certain you might put down! Sell your harvest for cash, and invest your cash into spell tablets to learn new techniques or magical trinkets to protect your crops and yourself.

Then repeat.

There is some NSFW potential, just mild, sedate, and with only one waifu: have some of your neighbors be woman farmers or rearers of magical beasts or weavers or something. Court and marry a girl, diversify your investments, live a full and happy life.

Imabot and justinkal like this.
  18. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

Hm.

It sorta reminds me of Xianxia style settings, in a way.

Certainly, it's something that could fit right in most of them.

19. Guile

Probably! I've been reading World of Cultivation lately.

20. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

Haven't read that one myself.

Currently, I'm reading I Shall Seal the Heavens and The Great Ruler. Pretty fun reads, both of them, but so far I prefer ISSH of the two.

Anyways, I'd be interested in something like that.

21. Guile

World of Cultivation is basically if Meng Huo from I Shall Seal The Heavens was a curmudgeon-y grain farmer instead of wanting to be a scholar. Fewer comedic chases, more money-grubbing.

22. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

More money grubbing than Meng Hao?

Good lord, that's something I've gotta see for myself.

23. Guile

Zuo Mo's master: "Someday, you are going to be crushed to death by jingshi (money)."
    Zuo Mo: "... I would like that very much."

CrossyCross likes this.
  24. Alexander

Alexander That is not dead which can eternal lie

Just an idea I thought up after lunch.
    ====

Once, there was a demon.

Not just any demon, but a Citizen of Malfeas despite being a Demon of the First Circle. Through guile, power and whatever means necessary the demon has risen to such coveted status.

Until the demon was brought to the attention of the Unquestionables, chosen to perform a great service to the Demon Kings and Queens: to select a champion, to empower them with the might of Creation's architects and aid in the escape from Hell. They taught, instructed and when was time implanted the Essence of Enlightenment into the demon, who guided by its pull made the trek across the Endless Desert.

However, at the moment of stepping into Creation something-

went

WrOnG

-And the demon found itself into an unknown land. It briefly contemplated in astonishment the broken moon in the sky, cheering at the desecration of one of the traitorous Incarnae, before the supermote reacted again, having found a worthy vessel. The demon followed the pull, and came across a human whose soul glowed:

[] Red Like Roses
    [] Snow White
    [] Midnight Black
    [] Sun-Blessed Gold
    [] Pale Yellow
    [] Electric Crimson
    [] Quiet Green
    [] Bright Orange
    [] Earth Brown
    [] Strong Yellow
    [] Write-in??

25. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

[X] Blurple

26. burningclaw2

burningclaw2 Dragon Boi of Justice

[X] Pale Yellow

27. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

[X] Pale Yellow

28. OverReactionGuy

OverReactionGuy The only Sane one left

29. Custom Critical

Leaving one forum and giving this one a shot. Maybe I'll actually get communication and whatnot from the voters. Before the second tier interest check and demo, let me do a garage sale interest check.

Any gents and germs interested in a psychic-spiritual quest? Specifically, a science-fantasy quest in which the character uses not magic or guns, but psychic and spiritual abilities?

kinglugia likes this.
  30. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

I am.