1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Interest Check & Idea Thread

Discussion in 'Q&R Index' started by Vanathor, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Custom Critical

Custom Critical Devout Budding Lotus

That's one!

2. Nekraa

Nekraa Nekraa Moderator

You could likely generate more interest if you had a more developed idea. I'm generally positive about magic, but it's a very bare bones... description. "Science-fantasy quest with psychic and spiritual abilities" is very broad.

3. Custom Critical

I'm honestly not sure what else I can say.

4. Kelenas

Kelenas Experienced.

Well, for starters, the actual tech-level perhaps? Makes for a bit of a difference in regards to atmosphere and whatnot whether the setting is more like Star Wars or more like D&D. (I know you said no guns, but; Jedi)
    Something about the general tone and atmosphere perhaps as well. Are you aiming for something fairly lighthearted and fun? Serious and grim? Somewhere in-between?
    How about the themes? Do you want lots of combat where people pit their various mental and spiritual powers against each other? Exploration and adventure where the players almost constantly seek out new locations to uncover ancient mysteries?
    Something revolving more around local events, with drama and intrigue?
    That sort of thing might help.

5. Custom Critical

It's set in a cyberpunk city in the near future, with all kinds of species living amongst each other. Like Shadowrun, for example. Its tone I want between serious and silly, as I am a bit of a clown myself, but do like to explore philosophical questions in my writing. Tech level could be what you see in sci-fi cyberpunk. Magic and psi exist (duh), but seeing as how they're illegal/hated/not understood by many, technology is one thing everyone has in common. Augments are pretty common, and officially, only the elite or those with an augment license can have them. The police are mainly concerned with Psi, letting the augment scene run rampant.

Does this paint the picture for ya?

Kelenas likes this.
  6. Kelenas

Kelenas Experienced.

It does, yeah. Sounds like it could be interesting, yes. Though that might just be my own Shadowrun Nostalgia speaking. :)

7. Custom Critical

Well, you can hang tight and wait for me to roll out the demo thread after noon!

Kelenas likes this.
  8. Custom Critical

Still making the psi quest. Just working on ironing out the details. Should be rolling out a thread next week.

Kelenas likes this.
  9. Psyckosama

Psyckosama Connoisseur.

Anyone up for another try at a Calderon is you?

I'll need someone willing to run me and am thinking I'll take 4 players. I'm going to be a bit picky on whom I take as these games are kinda a chore to run and I want to make sure that there aren't any players I don't enjoy running. Wouldn't be fair to either of us.

Here's the primer
    Due to an act of Alien Space Bat you find yourself in an interesting situation. It seems that there was an unforeseen accident involving the bi-annual House Calderon family reunion BBQ, a Mule class Dropship with engine problems, and about five kilotons of processed hydrogen. Needless to say, almost the entire house was vaporized, except for you.

1. Gender (1-3 = female; 4-6 = male)

2. Hair Color (1 = redhead; 2 = blond(e), 3 = dirty blond(e), 4) Light Brown, 5 = Dark Brown, 6 = Black)

3. Eye Color (1 = Green, 2-3 = Blue, 4-6 = Brown)

4. Origin (consult chart below)

5. Age 17 + d10 (13 + d4 for those who are under age)

6. Height (5'0" +3d6 inches for males, +2d6 for females) Those who are underage should adjust as needed.

7. Weight (80 lb + 2d6xnumber of inches above 5'0" tall x 2 for males) Those who are underage should adjust as needed.

8. Year. (1 = 3001, 2 = 3011, 3 = 3025, 4 = 3031. 5 = 3037, 6 = 3049)

The date is February 3rd. The accident happened on December 28th.

1) Distant Cousin: You're from a side branch of the family so distant you're barely on the tree at all. While you were raised well to do, you were also well outside the political sphere. As such you are effectively a complete unknown and there are serious questions as to your capability.

2) Royal Bastard: You were born the illegitimate child of a commoner and an unknown father. You always suspected your father was someone important, what with the trust fund and all, but you never expected someone this important. Your story makes you popular among the masses but those in power tend to think of you as an over-glorified peasant writ large.

3) Legitimate Heir: You were a close relation the reigning Protector and your place in the succession wasn't even in the double digits. You were lucky enough to have been stuck in traffic, or otherwise preoccupied with legitimate business when the rest of your family got wiped. While you didn't have anything to do with it, your survival is seen as being awful convenient.

4) Fed-Rat Exile: About fifty odd years ago your grandfather started openly questioning the decisions of his first cousin, who just happened to be the protector at the time. While he did not enter into any open rebellion, his distention was obnoxious enough to get him booted out of the Concordant. While you are technically close to the main branch of the family tree, the fact that you were born and raised in one of the successor states makes it pretty apparent that they're scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Birthplace: 1 FS, 2 CC, 3 FWL, 4 DC, 5 LC, 6 Roll again. On a 1-3 FS, 4-5 CC, 6 Comstar

5) Underage: You're perfect legitimate to rule, and there are not questions as to why you were not at the Barbecue, due to an acute case of the flu. The problem is that you're also a couple years shy of being old enough to take the throne, and you're not sure if the regent is looking out entirely for your best interests.

6) Distantly Related Merc: You were raised as the heir to one of the countless mercenary companies trawling the Inner Sphere on the eternal quest for liquidity and contracts. There was an old story in the family about how your grandma had a one night stand with a dashing young Taurian Officer, which lead to your old man. Story was he was a Calderon, and the blood test agrees. On the bright side, you have your own merc unit and have seen almost every part of the Inner Sphere worth talking about. On the not so bright side you're both seen as an outsider and have a beef with the (roll on Birthplace chart, reroll a 6) for their part in the raging cluster fuck that lead to the untimely death of your father.

You may choose to reroll your origin and era once and choose the one you like, to avoid having characters who are too similar or forcing you to play in an awkward era. Please head each post with the name of your character and avoid using the same names. The physical apperence rolls can be adjusted on request if you're not satisfied with the result... they're mostly for fluff

10. Happerry

Happerry The Song to the Flame

I'd love to play this, but I have to admit that I am totally not a battletech expert. How much of a master at the art of big stompy robots do potential players need to be? Because this looks really interesting and I'm really glad I have to chance to apply to one of these, instead of finding it when it's a month into the game or long over.

11. lancelot

lancelot Grand High Poobah

If your willing I wouldn't mind giving this a try I may be out of a contact for a week or so as I'm moving in the next week or two.

12. Psyckosama

Psyckosama Connoisseur.

Do you have a working knowledge of the universe?

13. lancelot

Yes though it has been years since I've opened to a BattleTech book, and honestly the most recent things I read about the periphery States has come from different FanFictions. If you'd like I can't track down at the box I have my old BattleTech books in and give myself refresher course when I have a moment.

14. Psyckosama

Psyckosama Connoisseur.

Go ahead.

15. Happerry

Happerry The Song to the Flame

Basically? I mean, I read a lot, and I basically know who all the factions are, but I never really got into the game part of it because no one else around where I live likes that kind of thing.

I know who the Davions are, I know the Taurian Concordat is totally paranoid about them, and that Grover Shraplen is extra extra paraniod about them even when he shouldn't be, I know who Com* is and what battlemechs are and what the Clans are and what lostech is and so on. But I haven't done a battletech game before beyond the Tropico in Battletech game way back when.

16. lancelot

Let me know when you start your new thread.

17. Psyckosama

Psyckosama Connoisseur.

Anyone else interestedi n the Calderon idea?

And anyone willing to run one for the GM?

18. Conundrum

Conundrum I trust you know where the happy button is?

I am up for basically anything Battletech,

19. Custom Critical

Hm. Can post an idea or is there a veterancy limit or something?

20. OverReactionGuy

OverReactionGuy The only Sane one left

This is also an idea thread for quests as well as interest so yeah, you may post an idea. ;)

21. Custom Critical

Just had to see if it was okay for me to post in it.

22. OverReactionGuy

OverReactionGuy The only Sane one left

No need to worry about that, There really isn't any limits like that, that I am aware of. And if there were? Well, I'd call that asinine and stupid for a redundant derogatory term.

Custom Critical likes this.
  23. Aleh

Aleh Destroyer of Faith in Humanity

Okay. Just going to throw out an idea. I probably won't actually run the thing, but I do want to get reactions. This is mostly to exorcise a plot-bunny.

I call it "A Frustrated Muggle And Her Search For Her Boyfriend."

It was a late November, and you found yourself worried about your boyfriend. You'd been seeing him for months, and things had started to get serious. You really liked him, even loved him -- you thought, perhaps, that he might even be The One.

And then he'd vanished.

It wasn't totally without warning. There were... hints, disturbing (if vague) mentions. Something had been going on, something worrying, and he hadn't confided the details.

You loved him, so you didn't push, instead playing the role of the supportive girlfriend. Now, though? It had been nearly a month since you'd last had so much as a word from him. He'd suddenly vanished, and you didn't know why.

You didn't know why yet anyway. You were bloody well going to find out, or your name wasn't...

[ ] Integra Hellsing
    [ ] Dana Mercer
    [ ] Mireille Bouquet
    [ ] Barbara Gordon

kinglugia, Daeth and Conu like this.
  24. Dreadis

Dreadis No idea whats going on

[X] Barbara Gordon

25. Conu

Conu Dazed and confused?

[X] Barbara Gordon

Dunno how well Barbara Gordon would go. If Batman got any idea about Wizarding Britain he would have a fucking aneurism. After he got plot armored back to full health he would start getting creative. Like OMAC level creative.

That wasn't supposed to be a critisism, just pointing out that you will be making a lot of work for yourself if you want to write this.

26. Aleh

Juuust a quick point.

What on Earth makes you think the others would react all that differently?

27. Conu

Conu Dazed and confused?

OK I acknowledge your point. I guess I didn't really think that one through. The others I see more as brutal killing sprees, Batman would take their whole society apart systematically because it is ridiculously offensive. Though I could be wrong, it would make an interesting quest. Are you actually planning to run it?

28. Aleh

I have enough quests, I think. That said, the idea's also been bugging me.

29. Lazurman

Lazurman That Others May Fap

[X] Dana Mercer

In this case, I'm pretty sure I know what her boy-toy ended up as.

Lunch for big bro. Heh.

kinglugia and SwiftRosenthal like this.
  30. Xilph

Xilph Well worn.

If Batman existed in a world with Harry Potter wizards he'd already know about them and have dealt with his issues, although being in the USA wouldn't help as they're very notably more pro-separation and anti-muggle than is usual for the setting. If you remove fanon too and stick to canon? He's dealt with worse situations, hell Gotham is worse than a lot of the wizarding world by itself. The wizards have some crazy ones and their racist culture components tend to survive better at least in Britain and the US which are the two places we have the most info on but for the most part they're just people who hid out of fear and the hiding got stuck in tradition. There's societies on both DC and the real world that are worse and he wouldn't trouble them much really, particularly in DC, even most of the worse HP fan interpretations aren't really that bad compared to whatever supervillain controlled dictatorship came up at the time, better likely given the citizens are relatively safe and it doesn't trouble people for the most part.

As said though, he'd know because the muggles know. The wizards work with the muggle governments to help conceal things after all, Batman may go after the extremists, and not sure what they'd think of the secrecy thing and involving memory modification to help cover up slips, but he shouldn't react that badly. Of course, merging HP and DC would have a ton of ramifications on the HP side too, luckily DC treats magic inconsistently enough you can say HP wizards are just another magic using human variant like Homo Magi, you could even roll homo magi into HP wizards with relatively minor tweaking, HP wizards have far greater numbers and you'd need to buff their magic a little but while it'd decrease how obvious magic so you're unlikely to have Constantine or Zatanna ever really appearing as heroes or anything it should work relatively well. HP already has wandless magic being the most common form of magic in the world, although stuff like Zatanna's backwards speaking is super weird.

Whether Barbara Gordon would know about magic? That's a totally different issue, and depends which version you use and where you take her but if it never comes up I don't see it as likely Batman would share the info.