1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Not Mom's Fault Quest [the rebooting]

Discussion in 'Questing' started by Nolrai2, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Nolrai2

Nolrai2 Can't count

"Bentenmaru-sama, May I ask whose dominion am I in?" I say, pulling my eyes from the setting sun.

"No one's, really. Cedric used to be mayor, before the sun rose over the sea, and cast down his Night London. Strange things happen over the hills, in Horizon, A School is harvesting children and monsters alike, I hear, and the ships say all the worlds are drowned, in sea, or dust, or forgotten dreams. That even the stars are fogged and lost. Sorry. .I .. " She trails off uncomfortably. "I shouldn't be the one to tell you this." Tears are in her eyes, and she turns away.

I find my clutching her, hugging her, tightly. I don't know what else to do.

Darkened likes this.
  2. Sirrocco

Sirrocco Tiny but ambitious squid

What the....

3. Darkened

Darkened Experienced.

Reach up and pat her head. It'll be okay! Right... right?

4. Dark Ness

Dark Ness I trust you know where the happy button is?

Seconded

5. Nolrai2

Nolrai2 Can't count

I reach up and pat her head. "It'll be okay!" I say, not even knowing what will be okay, but knowing..knowing I need to say this.

"Yeah. Sorry. I'm not being a good grown up right now." she replies. "So to really answer your question..right now I guess the Fortitude Council are the closest thing to rulers this place has, though the Shrine families have a lot of respect and wealth too. The rats have a king, down below, who also claims ruler-ship over the roofs.

"So..um. I'm not quite sure how to do the welcome to Fortitude thing, I've only been here 6 weeks or so.." she continues, picking me up and carrying me.

"Maybe I should give you a tour? What do you think? We could go and get a meal out as a special treat for waking up?"

Darkened likes this.
  6. Dark Ness

Sounds good to me

7. Nolrai2

Nolrai2 Can't count

"Well, I've only been here a little while, but it's pretty easy to get around." Bentenmaru-sama says looking around. "Fortitude is sort of crescent shaped, caught between the hills and the water." She begins walking north. "Over here is the deepest part of the harbor, where the trade and kaiju ships draw come to shore. One of those found me when I fell. Still doesn't make sense to me, how I ended up in big lake." She shakes her head before continuing.

"The human ships get smaller and smaller as the mountains near the shore, until finally you get to the rocky shores with reefs rising and falling into the water, and nothing bigger than a kayak can brave them. The rats will brave a lot though, and they somehow can get directly to both the roofs and their underground monasteries from the lake."

She points out a few of the rat ships as they dart about the harbor, sliding between and around the human ships like crows flowing through your mother's upper wings.

"This road leads through the fish market, and then the bakeries, restaurants, and local shops. For anything fancy you have to go to Arcadia."

A tall and gruff man yells, "Nacht, where you been all morning? My old woman wants to play cards."

"She knows I don't have any money that isn't spent on tutoring, let her cheat someone else."

"Ha! Been listening to Sara I see. You know where she is? She didn't come home last night, and I need to know whose pretty face to make not so pretty."

"She was watching movies with Granny. So unless you know where Walt Disney got off to. ."

"Well he's rich, right? Might be Mister Right after all." He turns and does a double take. "This is that tot that been sleeping. You get a name out of her?"

"Yes actually, Iakovos, this is Her Highness Malachite, Your Highness, this is Iakovos Tanaka."

Wha?

Darkened likes this.
  8. Darkened

Darkened Experienced.

Try to act natural! Alternatively just run and hide behind Bentenmaru.

9. Dark Ness

Act like Mom! She is like royalty, right?

10. Nolrai2

Nolrai2 Can't count

I hide behind Bentenmaru- sama's legs for a few seconds. Then try and remember how mom would sort of nod her head and move her hands in an impression of a curtsy, and the whole house would bow.

But I don't think I should be that.. Ruling. I'm not my mom.

So I do actually curtsy. Still not too deep. I don't think? But what if this guy is like a Dominus or something? Then he might actually out rank me.

11. Dark Ness

Say hello. Greet him politely.

12. Nolrai2

Nolrai2 Can't count

"Well met, Sir Tanaka." I say coming up from my curtsy.

"Ah, I ain't no sir. I work an honest job for a living. You can call me Iakovos, Miss Malachite." He replies. "So how you finding the waking world so far? You need any food or the little girls room, or nothing, Granny or miss ears here will hook you up. So ask right away, no?" He says, putting his hands on his knees to get a better look at you.

You frown, he is being awfully informal with a princess.

13. Dark Ness

Ask if he realizes exactly what your rank is, and what it means

14. Darkened

Darkened Experienced.

Curtly tell him you're fine. He's trying to be nice so you shouldn't be too rude no matter how it comes across.

15. Nolrai2

Nolrai2 Can't count

"I'm fine for now. Do you know what my rank means, Sailor?" I say trying to be polite but a little annoyed anyway.

"I'm afraid the only Highnesses I've even really heard of are vampires, and the higher ranked ones usually stay in Horizon. Please forgive me if I am vulgar, we am but simple folk un-schooled but for the sea."

Bentenmaru-sama smiles and glances at me. "I am sure it will be fine, right, Your Highness."

I feel a bit like when I did something Nursy didn't like. "Yes. Its fine, just please call me by my proper title."

"I will, Your Highness, or at least I will try. We Fortitude folk try to treat our guests well. So where abouts you headed?"

Bentenmaru-sama replies, "I was thinking I would show off some fried fish and chips, its about as good as you guys get with food, filling too."

"Well that's what foods for, get you warm and full and ready for a days work at sea or in the shops."

Bentenmaru-sama nods, "Speaking of, what you doing on dry land this late in the day? I hope everything is okay."

"Oh, it is, just getting done with a bunch of stuff I've let pile up, and would have had to come in early for dinner with my wife's folks anyway. They're shrine folk so you set your watch to their time if you get my meaning."

"I think so." she says, before looking down at me. "Is Your Highness ready to go?"

16. Heaven Canceler

Heaven Canceler Behind You!

Oh, Hello.... looks like I am late to the party here. I am Heaven Canceler, pleased to meet you.

I assume you wanted to talk to the sun, have you tried that yet?

17. Dark Ness

I think you should say yes.

18. Nolrai2

Nolrai2 Can't count

"Oh, I haven't tried that yet. MOOOOOOOOOOOM!" I yell out at the sun. Or in its direction anyway.

Other then like everyone I can see pausing to look, then looking away, nothing happens.

The sunlight on my face feels ..wan for a moment, and then brightens up like it's trying to reach me.

I wait, hoping mom is going to come get me, but she doesn't.

"Okay we can go now." I say to Bentenmaru-sama, who nods, and then leads me away, a strange look of pain in her eyes.

19. Nolrai2

Nolrai2 Can't count

Well I tried nothing happened...maybe Mom is busy?

20. Dark Ness

Or maybe she just can't hear you?

21. Nolrai2

Nolrai2 Can't count

"
    Maybe. I hope she isn't hurting.

----

Dame Bentenmaru and I walked up the street, passing maybe a dozen buildings. At first they were mostly ahouses or fish stalls, but then we turned a corner, the street got wider and the buildings changed from rough grey blocks, to smooth yellow sandstone, and red brick. Smells of bread and clay intermingled with the weakening fishy smell from the docks.

And right as the smell of raw fish faded away, a new buttery smell and a sizzle greeted us. They both came from a small one story building painted blue with a strange looking shape painted on it. I think maybe it's supposed to be a woman? It has round things that might be suposed to be breasts but only one big redeg, and even then it just looks..blurry?

https://adesiretogetcreative.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/mermaidstep4.jpg

When we step inside I see a couple of people rush to the back door, after dropping their spoons in their soup.

A woman who seems to be smiling too much to me, dressed in a white apron over bluejean overalls over a white and red striped long sleeved shirt asked Bentenmaru-Sama what we wanted.

She replied "the little one will take 2 pieces of cod, I'll take 4 of halibut and we can share a small plate of fries"

"Coming right up." The women said, writing it on pad of white paper.

"So..hmm. Can't say I know what you need to hear." Bentenmaru-Sama muses. "Any questions? Why did you yell for your Mother, right then? "

22. Heaven Canceler

Heaven Canceler Behind You!

Heaven Canceler here again. Stay positive! The sunlight got warmer and brighter when you called right? So that means at least you are calling towards the right sun, right? Does your mum have any assistants that take care of the sun and stuff if she is busy with other things?

I suggest just being honest with the people and saying your mum should be in the sun. Or is your mum the sun? It is always confusing with that metaphysical embodiment stuff.

23. Dark Ness

Honesty is good here. It lets you build up a reputation, so you can lie later without other people suspecting

24. Nolrai2

Nolrai2 Can't count

That sounds mean!

25. Dark Ness

The idea of "mean" is only an illusion based on illogical morals. Discard it.

26. Nolrai2

Nolrai2 Can't count

What? -_- You must be the kind of voice mom warned me about. I am a native of Celestia not Heaven after all.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  27. Nolrai2

Nolrai2 Can't count

Heaven Canceler, do you work for Rex Peter at the gates? I don't really understand your name.

"I was asking Mom to come get me. I've never been down here for long." I reply. "She should be up up there, but she should have come and got me by now. But what if she's not okay? So much blood, and falling and cold I was so cold. ." Just thinking about it makes me hungry, makes me feel lIke dad.

Bentenmaru-sama gets up and picks me up and hugs me and it's nice but she's not Mommy or Nursy. She is fuzzy instead of smooth, warm instead of hot, and she can't hug me tight enough, but I cling to her anyway, trying to stay dignified the way mommy would want.

I feel something in me flip inside out, and well I know that it's all already over, unchangeable. Mom is either okay or she isn't.

I'm still really hungry and cold, and when the woman brings out a warm basket I eat the whole thing.

Apparently I wasn't supposed to eat the bowl?

"Um are you okay? How?"

I burp and then blush terribly. "Sorry for my bad table manners."

"No, I mean. Uhh." Bentenmaru blinks "You must have really strong teeth." She says clicking her teeth on a piece of porcelain I must have missed."

Darkened likes this.
  28. Dark Ness

What did your mom say about these voices? Also, you know what I am. I am a shoulder devil, remember?

Trust me, I am only trying to help you achieve your full potential, to become a better person. Wouldn't mom want that?

29. Nolrai2

Nolrai2 Can't count

Mom would want that, and I think hitting someone with a sword is even meaner than lieing, and mom taught me how to do that.

And mom said that the voices would be showing me parts of me. They would be pieces of her Fire, and father's Void, and most of all Celestia's Sky given life.

30. Dark Ness

OOC: Is this based on Nobilis?

See? I am a good influence, here to help.

Anyways, you should probably ask where you are staying