1. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. For a trial period of one week, allowed avatar size has been increased to 256kb, up from 51.2kb. During this time, if the forum seems to be loading slow, drop by the topic in the Announcements & Rules sub to let me know.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. QQ will be down for upgrades starting at 2030 EDT. Please be prepared and save any work.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. To the many new members following Mr Zoat to our forum, I would suggest a quick read of our Rules. Don't worry, it's not a long post. Pay special attention to Rule 8. We are deadly serious about it.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. To make things official, I have added a proper description of the method to appeal a moderator action in the Rules thread.
    Dismiss Notice

To Last Time Itself {Faction/Empire Quest}

Discussion in 'Questing' started by ReinZero, Aug 26, 2014.

  1. Ceslas

    Ceslas Getting out there.

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2014
    Messages:
    21
    Likes Received:
    0
    Working as a Knight is concentrating our base as it focuses us on combat much like our Samurai training. In order to successfully run a state we need more than combat skill, we need broader experiences with other fields so we are well-rounded enough to assume our place in the world. Besides I think everyone should have one insane road trip as they're growing up and and a ninja-maid planned trip is the craziest option. Don't you want to see whatever hilarity could ensue?
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  2. Adyen

    Adyen Experienced.

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2014
    Messages:
    3,945
    Likes Received:
    2,730
    Ummm... It's to MEET an envoy from the Knight's Order.

    For all we know, it's to tell us that they don't want to see any other Knight Order in the fief and tell us to demolish everything they don't think is proper.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  3. ReinZero

    ReinZero "Corruption is Magic!"

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2013
    Messages:
    4,973
    Likes Received:
    8,648
    Ranking/Level information & reference
    There are 8 Ranks/Levels with two 'in between' sub-section for each one. The highest is L while D is the lowest, normally.

    L > EX > S > A > B > C > D >> F

    The 'in between' of each one is a +/-. A + means it is 1/3rd to the next Rank/Level, whereas a - means it is 1/3rd from the Rank/Level it is attached to. Magic Capacity-wise, it rounds down to the nearest 10's.
    F = Non-Existant; It's there, but almost the same as not having what the F Rank/Level is attached to. For magic, this is a nessassary minimum rank for an element to learn magic of that element within any reasonable amount of time; Magic Capacity = 0
    D = Below Average / Sub-par; Is technically two ranks/levels above F; Magic Capacity = 100
    C = Average / Normal; Magic Capacity = 200
    B = Above Average / Strong; In comparison to C rank/level; Magic Capacity = 350
    A = Superior; In comparison to C rank/level; Magic Capacity = 500
    S = Powerful / Impressive; Magic Capacity = 750
    EX = Extraordinary / Extreme; Much beyond the norm, it is pariticularly impressive; Magic Capacity = 1500
    L = Legendary; Also has no upper limit. Exact minimum power (for non PC) is gauged by # of +s. At least rank/level, it can break physics, though doing so is at a cost to power behind the act/etc.; Magic Capacity = 3000

    Magic Capacity can also be modified/affected by various other factors, such as affinity or talent.

    I also use the same Rank system for grading quality/tiering, for ease and avoiding mass confusion. Also, the Rank system is based on the baseline average of the greatest population sample size (it is pretty dated IC). Anything past L Rank is counted in +s or +X Ranks (Three +s = 1 Rank)

    Personal Skills cap at EX Rank, but things like scope and scale can change. It is possible to flip a low negative Personal Skill into a low positive one. Lineage stuff is also filed under Personal Skills, but are not Ranked.

    General education-wise both share more than a few things, just emphasis is a bit different. I just don't list anything on it that doesn't have constant presence. Do keep in mind this also applies to negative things too.

    Yes to the first. On the latter, that's more common from Church Knights as opposed to others (ie. Basically every other Knight type).

    --- I will be out for most of the day (plane) so no updates today (and not locking votes). Feel free to continue discussion/commenting or other stuffs).
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  4. ReinZero

    ReinZero "Corruption is Magic!"

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2013
    Messages:
    4,973
    Likes Received:
    8,648
    Guest Audience Room (Book'd by Terun)

    "Well, the suggestions you gave last time seemed to work out a bit," says Kenta as the two of you look over the papers Kenta brought back with him. Data collected from the implemented suggestions you passed over to him a month back. "But there's a bit of a problem," he says as his finger comes to a stop at a particular point on the page, "it's not working out as well as projected."

    You glance over it and frown slightly, a negligible action in more informal instances, and of course, between friends. "Hm...," you sigh and rub your forehead slightly, "I seemed to have overestimated adjustment needed for the scaling to work optimally."

    "Onee-sama shared the same opinion of it, though it is at least workable without a net loss," Kenta pauses for a moment as he trades a glance with you, "without harming all involved parties, except for a bit of reduced income of course. But the improvement already makes up for it well enough, it'll take about two to four seasons before we break even from that investment."

    "I'll cover the difference if it doesn't break even after 4 seasons," you say, preemptively waving off Kenta's usual complaints about you footing the bill for and over things that don't directly benefit your own Family, but instead help out his Clan's situation. "And well, it doesn't cover the increased benefit one that ratio's fixed, no? If no further complications occur of course."

    "Well yes, if no further complications occur," repeats Kenta with a nod, "I don't think anything should pose further issue though, there's much fewer factors to deal with than what your Family has to handle."

    "Aside from that matter, any other family matters?" you ask as the two of you start organizing the papers into one organized stack.

    "Well... other than Father pressuring Onee-sama over that matter again," Kenta sighs as he visibly refrains from rolling his eyes over it, "there's no other Family matter that I've came over for," Kenta pauses for a moment as he scratches his head for a moment, glancing around cautiously before nodding slightly to himself, "though do say, how do you manage to put up with the girls."

    You open and close your mouth without speaking you mind. Mostly because you spotted Mari again off the corner of your vision, a position that Kenta won't notice. It's not anything bad per say, but you know better than to just outright cause potentially unnecessary trouble. "Let's just say that dwelling on it is the last thing you'd want to do."

    Kenta freezes, figuratively, his neck turning slowly to his left, only to find a certain Maid already at his side. He know well enough, a bit, when hes' caught the wrong side of the situation. In other words, he failed to properly make sure that there was no one else amongst us eavesdropping on him. It's understandable what with Mari appearing out of odd places here and there at times- even if it's locked or what not.

    Mari curtseys from her position a meter away from Kenta, and holds it as she reports, "Master, your Mother calls for you. Your friend can tag along if you so wish."

    "Kenta?" you ask. The lack of switch to formalities is for a very simple reason, Mari is your Maid and... well, let's just say that she gets along like cats and mice with Hanako. Probably a good thing that Hanako's absent today thus far.

    "Yeah, sure thing," replies Kenta. "Please finish the organizing then. I'll be taking it back with me later."

    "Please do so," you say, as you turn to stand, with Kenta following suit after you.

    "Yes Master," says Mari as she makes a quick bow while holding her posture, "Though Ito-dono, would you prefer them arranged like how you arrived? Or the daily special?"

    Kenta immediately pales for a moment upon hearing the words 'daily special'. "No, just like when I arrived. Today that is."

    "I understand, I'll make sure they're all cleaned up as well."

    Kenta merely just blinks, his head still processing it. "Wh... wha...t...."

    "We'll be going now Mari, Mother's in the main audience hall correct?" you say as you quickly move and proceed to push the stunned Kenta out the room.

    "Yes, that is so," comes the reply. With the door immediately sliding shut after your quick withdrawal from the room.

    "Come on, let's go Kenta," you say as you lead the way. Not that you really need to, he's been around at your place long enough to know how to find his way around the place. Usually anyways.

    Of course, once you're sure you're out of earshot, you say, "The more you worry about it, the more likely she'll do something to them. So it's best to just roll with whatever the girls try."

    "I'll try to keep that in mind Kentaine-dono," is Kenta's formal response. Though you're pretty sure he's just smirking behind you as well over the experiences you've suffered through to obtain such precious knowledge, knowledge that no one imparted upon you like you did for him.

    ---

    Main Audience Room

    As you approach you hear some bits of the more loudly expressed opinions and views from the inside.

    "-as I've said , at the absolute minimum, we're only asking for a Hall and the fee waived."

    "It is not my place to decide such matters," replies your Mother. "You can wait here until my husband returns or should my Son come.”

    The Knight sighs, but stays silent and seated. Which makes identifying his short, fiery red hair and crimson with red ting armor… easy. Like he’s trying to paint himself on fire, or maybe that’s his coat of arms… nah.

    The two of you simply slip the doors open and stride right on in, kneeing as per appropriate for audience chambers, “Mother, I’ve arrived. Please allow for Ito-dono to be present for the remainder of this if it so pleases you.”

    She nods and motions for you to rise and come over to take your seat at her side. Which you do, while motioning for Kenta to take a seat off to the side. It takes but a brief moment, but in that moment, you feel and see the red eyes of the Knight bearing down upon you.

    “Start from the top,” orders your Mother. One that the Knight merely bows while nodding in agreement.

    “The Order of the Scarlet Knights would like to take ownership of a small Guild Hall in Kitasawa, at minimum of course. Though we’d prefer your… sponsorship if not participation as well-,” says the Knight with great haste.

    “Start. From. The. Top,” snaps your Mother. She just glares at the Knight’s insolence. Well, it’d seem she dislikes him, while the feeling seems to have been because of the Knight’s action(s).

    “But I already-” the Knight restrains himself from raising his voice, but… it’s rather obvious he’s doing that.

    “Do not test my patience,” says your Mother with finality.

    [ ] [Ask/Demand] the envoy of the Order of the Scarlet Knights to start from the top like your Mother said to. Then you’ll consider it.
    [ ] [Ask/Demand] the envoy of the Order of the Scarlet Knights give you the simple schematical breakdown of their wants, and the benefits and complications of it all.
    [ ] [Ask/Demand] the envoy leave while you and your Mother are still feeling generous towards his life.
    [ ] [Ask/Request] your Mother for a short break in the session so you may think upon it more… or converse with your immediate subjects and friends. Or with your Mother.
    ---[ ] Who do you converse with? (Pick any number and order; Cannot converse with the Knight.)
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  5. Ceslas

    Ceslas Getting out there.

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2014
    Messages:
    21
    Likes Received:
    0
    [X] [Ask] the envoy of the Order of the Scarlet Knights give you the simple schematical breakdown of their wants, and the benefits and complications of it all.

    "Mother, I understand why you want me to have the full explanation but if Father had you repeat everything you said to me and the staff had the end of each day you'd be feeling much the same way the envoy is. That being said, Sir Knight, I will need an explanation before I can make any sort of decision. If you feel you can only provide a summary or if you need a break to rest before continuing I will understand."
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  6. Adyen

    Adyen Experienced.

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2014
    Messages:
    3,945
    Likes Received:
    2,730
    [X] Ask the envoy of the Order of the Scarlet Knights to start from the top like your Mother said to. Then you’ll consider it.
    -[X] Mother must have a reason for why she wants them to tell the entire story. You're the host here, so be polite as there's no reason they should be so impolite to skip through the motions.

    Who are the Order of the Scarlet Knights?
     
  7. Robotninja

    Robotninja Connoisseur.

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2013
    Messages:
    15,138
    Likes Received:
    13,964
    [X] [Ask/Demand] the envoy of the Order of the Scarlet Knights to start from the top like your Mother said to. Then you’ll consider it.
    -[X] Mother must have a reason for why she wants them to tell the entire story. You're the host here, so there's no reason they should be so impolite to skip through the motions.
     
  8. Ceslas

    Ceslas Getting out there.

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2014
    Messages:
    21
    Likes Received:
    0
    If her reason is so compelling then:

    (A) there is no reason to believe we can't hear it after hearing the summary and

    (B) there is no reason to antagonize our guest after he has clearly been overworked.

    Adyen (and Robot) those are my reasons for a more diplomatic approach. Can you address them?
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  9. Wing101

    Wing101 I trust you know where the happy button is?

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2013
    Messages:
    760
    Likes Received:
    176
    [X] Ask the envoy of the Order of the Scarlet Knights to start from the top like your Mother said to. Then you’ll consider it.
    -[X] Mother must have a reason for why she wants them to tell the entire story. You're the host here, so be polite as there's no reason they should be so impolite to skip through the motions.
     
  10. Ceslas

    Ceslas Getting out there.

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2014
    Messages:
    21
    Likes Received:
    0
    Wing, same question I just asked Adyen and Robot.
     
  11. Adyen

    Adyen Experienced.

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2014
    Messages:
    3,945
    Likes Received:
    2,730
    A) Unless you don't trust our mother to have a good reason for wanting them to repeat it, then there's no reason for them to not act in a polite manner and explain the reason.

    B) All I see is that they want to hide the reason behind getting the Guild Hall for little to nothing. Why should we let them off for their attempt to hide the facts or not explain their reasoning when we don't owe them anything and they want a favor?
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  12. Robotninja

    Robotninja Connoisseur.

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2013
    Messages:
    15,138
    Likes Received:
    13,964
    We are young and our mother is better at politics than us. We should trust her judgement until we grow older.
     
  13. Ceslas

    Ceslas Getting out there.

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2014
    Messages:
    21
    Likes Received:
    0
    Adyen:
    A) Unless you trust the envoy to have the patience of a saint there is no reason to force him to go through a pre-prepared spiel right when things are tense. If the summary is insufficient we can ask for further details.

    B) Or, instead of an elaborate conspiracy theory, you could recognize that he doesn't want to repeat a speech he just gave because he's clearly already traveled a long way to give it, he's exhausted, and he's being being treated like something our mother found on the heel of her shoe. Again, I point out that we can ask for clarification later when everyone has had a chance to calm down. I want us to proceed politely because you don't treat a guest like trash, especially a foreign envoy.

    Robot:
    C) Better at politics includes being rude to envoys? News to me!
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  14. Warslick

    Warslick I trust you know where the happy button is?

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2014
    Messages:
    582
    Likes Received:
    513
    [X] [Ask] the envoy of the Order of the Scarlet Knights give you the simple schematical breakdown of their wants, and the benefits and complications of it all.
     
  15. Adyen

    Adyen Experienced.

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2014
    Messages:
    3,945
    Likes Received:
    2,730
    A) We're still the current de-facto head of land-owning family (as our father isn't here). The fact that an Knight-Order (which is generally not part of the government) is trying to push us to make a decision without explaining the reasons behind it is justification to have them beheaded in many medieval or earlier times. The envoy is lower ranked than us - why are we going out to save him the time and effort to persuade us to give them an advantage? He's not even the head of the Order - which means we gain nothing if we help him(them) by letting them skip the explanation.

    B) Yes, it could all be true. Then what? So if someone was received by a Queen and explains to them, and then the King arrives they wouldn't have to?

    So, let's say that we don't need him to explain the reasons. That opens up the situation where either our Mother will have to cut in repeatedly to explain why, or we have to ask for reasons for what they're asking for. It actually saves us the time and effort if we just listen to the situation from the top as opposed to having someone cut in every few seconds to give more details or explain things. We can be polite in how we ask for him to repeat it, but it doesn't change the fact that we don't know anything about the situation and will need more information.

    C) Better politics also includes the envoy not pissing off the patron they're trying to get things from. Remember: He's of the lower ranked here. He's SUPPOSED to be doing all these things. If you're doing him a favor in letting him skip out, there's better be a good reason other than "we're being polite", because it's not true.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  16. Ceslas

    Ceslas Getting out there.

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2014
    Messages:
    21
    Likes Received:
    0
    A) It's called basic tact and politeness not to mention being a good host. We gain nothing if the deal fails because we anger the envoy to the point he can't think straight. Again, I point out that whatever you're convinced the envoy is trying to hide can be found after we've let tensions defuse a little.

    B) No, the King would get an abridged version of the account with the Queen filling in details. After that they would proceed to examine any ambiguous points until all doubt has been dispelled. This can include a full recitation of the original proposal, but not when both sides are clearly on edge which my proposal is designed to deal with.

    C) As far as we can tell the envoy has not done anything besides give a proposal and encountered delays while our mother has seemingly treated him unkindly and made his life difficult. I am finding it hard to believe you still don't comprehend this is not about letting anyone get out of anything, this is about defusing a tense situation. I'm trying to make sure these talks can actually go forward without anyone storming out of the room because they were pushed too far.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  17. Adyen

    Adyen Experienced.

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2014
    Messages:
    3,945
    Likes Received:
    2,730
    A) Doesn't mean that someone should be allowed to forgo the act of explaining something because it's been explained to someone else. Even IF he's not hiding anything - there is absolutely no reason why we would give a Knight Order one of our currently in use Guild Halls that wouldn't require an explanation. We'll be saving both our time and their time if they just explained the entire situation, rather than having him to answer all our questions on why we'd let them have it.

    B) And that pretty much means that they should explain the whole situation from top to bottom with us just listening and not asking any questions in the middle, because that would save him a whole lot more frustration if we kept asking questions that he would have explained anyways if he told us the entire story.
    C) See, the problem is that from the verbal cues from our Mother, she doesn't agree with the plan. Now, I don't know why we should doubt our Mother when the majority of childhood-based votes pretty much is based on listening to our Mother.

    Your vote basically tells her that 1) We don't trust her decision to have us listen to the entire story, and 2) the envoy is more important than her because we care more about the perceived well-being of the envoy over her suggestion. I don't agree with that, and I generally feel it's better to respect the decision of the person who had been educating us (or overseeing our education) has made before making any other decisions.

    So if this envoy is not able to convince our Mother of the validity of lending or financing a Guild Hall of ours to him and we make a decision to support this idea without listening to everything, what do you think will happen to our relationship?

    There is absolutely NO reason not to listen to the whole story even if you want to say it's more convenient for them. We're not here for their convenience. They're here to persuade us - both us and our mother. Even if the final decision lies with us at the moment, the fact that he couldn't persuade our Mother is already a mark against him.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  18. Ceslas

    Ceslas Getting out there.

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2014
    Messages:
    21
    Likes Received:
    0
    A) And again I point out that I'm trying to defuse a tense situation. That offer won't go anywhere if we don't foul it up. Everything can be explained later and every secret can be found.

    B) Let me repeat myself yet again just to make it an even umpteen: this is not the time to press matters, this is the time to calm things down. He's going to be a lot more amenable to telling what what we want to know if we don't try to walk all over him.

    C) I have said multiple times I'm willing to hear the whole story this is simply not the time for it. That time will come when our mother and the envoy aren't at each other's throats. How many times do I have to say we need to calm everyone down so no one does anything regrettable? Please answer this because I'm getting tired of typing it.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  19. Adyen

    Adyen Experienced.

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2014
    Messages:
    3,945
    Likes Received:
    2,730
    A) Let's put it this way: If he gives up because it's a 'tense' situation, then it doesn't matter what he wanted it for. It's not US that wants anything, it's THEM. WE don't need to care a whit about whether this is a 'Tense' situation or not as we're not the one requesting anything.

    B) Why are you caring so much on whether he's amenable or not? He needs US to be amenable. We can even phrase it in a polite way to 'calm things down', but at the end of the day there's no way we're going to let them to just give us a breakdown. You're better off phrasing it as "Ask the envoy of the Order of the Scarlet Knights to start from the top like your Mother said to. Then you’ll consider it."

    C) And I don't agree that everyone needs to 'calm down' since they're the ones who are asking for a favor. How many times do I have to say it? This could be an opportunity, but if they're not willing to meet us half-way, there's no way we should be in partnerships with people like that.

    If you're going to heart the whole story, you'd want the envoy to give it anyways because we already know our Mother is against it. If she paraphrases it to us, it's going to be in a negative light colored by her own dislike of the proposal.

    So if we even want a chance for this to go through, the envoy must be the one who tells us. And since there is no choice for our Mother to leave us alone, or for the Envoy to return at a later time (though one option sort of gives everyone a break), asking him to repeat the story is the best option right now.

    I am going to edit my vote so that it's specifically asking him to repeat, not demanding though.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  20. Ceslas

    Ceslas Getting out there.

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2014
    Messages:
    21
    Likes Received:
    0
    I accept your reasoning. I withdraw my objection.

    [X] Ask the envoy of the Order of the Scarlet Knights to start from the top like your Mother said to. Then you’ll consider it.
    -[X] Mother must have a reason for why she wants them to tell the entire story. You're the host here, so be polite as there's no reason they should be so impolite to skip through the motions.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  21. ReinZero

    ReinZero "Corruption is Magic!"

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2013
    Messages:
    4,973
    Likes Received:
    8,648
    You're fairly sure it's either a small/new/obscure Knight Order or just not close enough to the Shogunate's lands to be relevant enough for you to know/have heard of.
     
  22. Truthswraith

    Truthswraith Making the rounds.

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2013
    Messages:
    27
    Likes Received:
    0
    [X] [Ask/Demand] the envoy of the Order of the Scarlet Knights to start from the top like your Mother said to. Then you’ll consider it.

    Just ask politely to hear everything personally. No need to get into a argument here we only need to truly demand things if he refuses. Just so we have firsthand knowledge just in case.
     
  23. Ceslas

    Ceslas Getting out there.

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2014
    Messages:
    21
    Likes Received:
    0
    Then in that case you may want to remove the Demand from your answer. It'll just confuse things.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  24. ReinZero

    ReinZero "Corruption is Magic!"

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2013
    Messages:
    4,973
    Likes Received:
    8,648
    "Please start from the top," you say while keeping your eye on the Knight. It's not as if your Mother hasn't made or ruled over specific matters while your Father's out, well, for ones that pertain to the Kentaine Family as opposed to the Hajime Clan. In some cases, those matters are put on hold or a letter sent to your Father for his word on the matter. So for you to have a say in it while your Mother refuses... well, she must have good reason for it.

    The Knight fixes a glare in your general direction and seems to grind his teeth for a moment before nodding. "I am but a mere envoy sent by our leader, the Lord Alflami, to negotiate with the Kentaine Family over the possibility of providing a place for a local headquarters for the Scarlet Knights. At the very minimum, if you could but freely lend out a small guild hall to us, it would suffice."

    Upon finishing, the Knight just looks at you expectantly, with an attentiveness that borderlines ignoring the presence of your Mother and Kenta. Unintentional? No, perhaps... it's a bias of his?

    You flick your sleeve, unhooking and slipping out a collapsed folding fan, which you flick open as you bring it up to obscure your expression. At the same time, you and Kenta trade a quick glance at one another, before the two of you nod faintly in silent agreement. It's as you've been showing Kenta here and there every now and then, when one needs or asks for something, one must give something in return. Not through hypothetical implications, but solid, actual possible odds of repayment for one's generosity. For your Family to give such generosity ... it is rather strange in ways when your Family isn't associated with them in any way, never mind a lack of actual relations with them. For one thing, at least the envoy didn't claim such, which you suppose is why your Mother hadn't already showed him out the door. Then again, his choice of ignoring formalities is unlikely to be unintentional, and seems to be more 'pressing' for a Western style handling... which you think his manner barely qualifies for either.

    Then again, why would someone choose someone this unfit for negotiations? Is there something you're missing or not clear on? The leader of a Knight Order can't afford to make such basic mistakes, though...

    Why is it like this then?
    [ ] He's doing it intentionally, he must have something against...
    ---[ ] Far Eastern culture as a whole.
    ---[ ] Women and children.
    ---[ ] Samurai as a whole.
    ---[ ] the Far Eastern religion, though why isn't he part of the Church then?
    [ ] It's not intentional, he's just bad at this sort of thing.
    ---[ ] Write In.
    [ ] Something else?
    ---[ ] Write In.

    Though then, why is the one chosen for this task?
    [ ] The one responsible for assigning people for this task didn't know about his choice's biases.
    [ ] The one responsible for assigning people for this task is deliberately sabotaging the leader's leadership.
    [ ] Some other reason (Write In.)

    How should you proceed then?
    [ ] Let him attempt to clean up his act. "Please, continue."
    [ ] Show him the door. "Satsuki, show him the way out."
    [ ] Have him leave and send for another envoy, one that isn't as bad of one as he is. "Please have the Order send someone else."
    [ ] Write In.
     
  25. Adyen

    Adyen Experienced.

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2014
    Messages:
    3,945
    Likes Received:
    2,730
    Interesting... Especially on the emphasis...

    [X] He's doing it intentionally, he must have something against...
    ---[X] Far Eastern culture as a whole.

    Though then, why is the one chosen for this task?
    [X] Some other reason (Write In.)
    -[X] They are of the same bias against the For Eastern Culture, based on the emphasis on this "Lord Alflam" that we are expected to know.

    How should you proceed then?
    [X] Write In
    -[X] "I have not heard of your Order or your "Lord Alflam" before. Excuse my ignorance, but perhaps you can describe them to me?"
     
  26. Wing101

    Wing101 I trust you know where the happy button is?

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2013
    Messages:
    760
    Likes Received:
    176
    [X] He's doing it intentionally, he must have something against...
    ---[X] Far Eastern culture as a whole.

    Though then, why is the one chosen for this task?
    [X] Some other reason (Write In.)
    -[X] They are of the same bias against the For Eastern Culture, based on the emphasis on this "Lord Alflam" that we are expected to know.

    How should you proceed then?
    [X] Write In
    -[X] "I have not heard of your Order or your "Lord Alflam" before. Excuse my ignorance, but perhaps you can describe them to me?"

    Good enough and makes sense. If he gets angry and leave it doesn't really matter to us since we've been pretty polite also if our guess is wrong we can find out easily once we've meet other members of the order.
     
  27. Ceslas

    Ceslas Getting out there.

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2014
    Messages:
    21
    Likes Received:
    0
    Adyen's guess is probably as good as any I could make (though my inner lawyer rebels at the lack of evidence.)

    [X] He's doing it intentionally, he must have something against...
    ---[X] Far Eastern culture as a whole.

    Though then, why is the one chosen for this task?
    [X] Some other reason (Write In.)
    -[X] They are of the same bias against the For Eastern Culture, based on the emphasis on this "Lord Alflam" that we are expected to know.

    How should you proceed then?
    [X] Write In
    -[X] "I have not heard of your Order or your "Lord Alflam" before. Excuse my ignorance, but perhaps you can describe them to me?"
     
  28. ReinZero

    ReinZero "Corruption is Magic!"

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2013
    Messages:
    4,973
    Likes Received:
    8,648
    Them typos.... (They're fine since they're readable/understandable and the way things are angled clearly marks it as an accident, so I'll auto-fix typos if it wins).

    And Adyen, mind clearing up which/whom/what are you referring to by 'they'?
     
  29. Adyen

    Adyen Experienced.

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2014
    Messages:
    3,945
    Likes Received:
    2,730
    "They" as in the entire Order? At this point, there's really no evidence either way - but I tend to work with the assumption that if you're going to send a diplomatic envoy, the person who you send should be a good representative to what you want to be known for.
     
  30. Warslick

    Warslick I trust you know where the happy button is?

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2014
    Messages:
    582
    Likes Received:
    513
    Wow, an assumption that is in no way based on RL. This seems almost the opposite of most diplomatic envoys we have had here in the US. Also seems to not quite hold true to most business reps that I know of.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014