1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Twisted Pinwheel

Discussion in 'Questing' started by Chibi-Reaper, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Bobs Beard

Bobs Beard Over-analyzes things - sometimes this works out

Hm, I think I identified a possible area of mis-assumption about Sharingan on my part.

So Chibi-Reaper, is it possible for active Sharingan to have a given jutsu be performed in their field of view, and not memorize it?

As in, is the memorization an uncontrollable process, or something one COULD choose to not employ?

I ask because if it's true you can go 'nuh-uh, I DON'T want to learn that jutsu', that makes Mio's willful disregard for Uchiha intent to teach her (and her successfulness therein) make more sense.

DarkLight140 and Plotvitalnpc like this.
  2. Plotvitalnpc

Plotvitalnpc Personification Personified

Not like they can stop her from turning her sharingan off the moment they start a fire jutsu, and until after they finish it.

...Just thought of an IC justification for MIO to take things seriously and try to graduate quickly:
    If she becomes a ninja, she gets to wrestle some power over the course of her life away from the clan.
    Thus, graduating quickly is ideal if she wants to steer the course of her own life.

Valette-Serafina likes this.
  3. Candesce

Candesce Experienced.

Personally, I'd assume sufficient distance would prevent copying a seen jutsu.

If for no other reason than it'd save a lot of work for Chibi-Reaper later in the quest.

1986ctcel and Plotvitalnpc like this.
  4. DuskAtDawn

DuskAtDawn Of the Thousand Faces

From all the bullshit variations of Chidori Shippuden-Sasuke pulls out, it's certainly possible to modify the way it's cast after memorizing the jutsu w/ Sharingan. Also, there's nothing forcing an Uchiha to use a jutsu just because they've memorized it, though they'd probably have to learn it from scratch if they wanted to use it any way other than the way they saw it used.

Don't forget the Lion's Barrage back in the Chunin exam prelims. Sasuke managed (with a two-tomoe, at that) to copy Lee's (unfinished) technique from the first part, and ended it halfway through, only to continue with his own taijutsu style.

There's also Zabuza's method, though it was never proven I don't think. Sufficient chakra in the air can, in theory, obscure the caster's chakra system enough that the Sharingan shouldn't work. Or maybe it's the mist itself, though that makes less sense.

Looking for Sharingan rules, you should be keeping an eye on the first half of the series, before it became the Deus ex Machina it is today.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  5. Chibi-Reaper

Chibi-Reaper D-Donations plz?

The best option as far as out-stubborning the opposition is 'What are you talking about?' 'Grand Firebowl? I didn't see anything like that.' 'I guess I blinked.' or 'Sorry, a bit of dust got in my eye and it watered up.'

.... It genuinely doesn't matter what you actually know, if you claim not to know it and then never use it, you might as well really not know it.

Shadowry, Lement, Timaeus and 9 others like this.
  6. Lon

Lon Well worn.

Doesn't work. Or else Itachi wouldn't be cracking as hard as he is. Graduating or not, the clan controls your life.

Valette-Serafina and Winged One like this.
  7. Plotvitalnpc

True, but...
    The specific reason they can use torture jutsu on us is that we're not a ninja yet, according to one of the updates.

8. Bobs Beard

...No I get that, I was just intimating (implicitly) that that had nothing to do with what techniques are listed as known on the known-techs threadmark.

You know, difference between publicly displayed abilities and known-as-true abilities.

Still though, you cleared up that she doesn't know shit for fire techs, so that's that.

9. Plotvitalnpc

[X] Plan Bobs Beard

Realized I never voted.
    But then...this is the only plan, I think?

1986ctcel and Valette-Serafina like this.
  10. Threadmarks: With utter flawlessness
    Chibi-Reaper

Chibi-Reaper D-Donations plz?

Hmph. Banned, huh?

You'll show them banned.

In your own good time, and in your own inscrutable fashions that may appear to the less educated and distinguishing eye to be just waiting out the duration but are in fact clearly distinct, perhaps. But you will.

It can't just be said that any old library woman can manhandle you about without consequence, after all.

For now, though, you have made no progress on figuring out Gai's not-Genjutsu thing.

And that is unacceptable. Unacceptable.

Maybe if you watch him more?

... You sit down on the roof and shut your eyes, calling to mind the encounter.

For the next hour and a half you focus the entire intensity of your being on the appearance of the illusion. How it appeared. When. What Guy was doing when it appeared, before, and afterward. You analize it down to every single shift of microfiber over his flexing abs.

Nope, it didn't help. You feel a little funny in the gut, but that's about all and could be put down to clenching your own muscles in an attempt to reflect what he was doing, just a little bit.

Or it could be that you just had one too many meat-products in a bun recently and need to lay off for a couple extra weeks.

Still, it doesn't seem like that particular encounter has anything to offer you.

You could watch him again, but you're a little skeptical about what you'll gain for this from doing so. Of course, Maito Gai is a skilled Jounin, and so anything you were to pick up from watching him would probably be valuable.

Just... maybe not in this sense.

You flop backward onto the tiled roof, rubbing your nose and thinking.

Well, it stings your pride a whole lot to even consider the fact that you might be missing something, but while the elders would likely tear strips off your back and rub salt, vinegar, and lemon juice in for suggesting it, it's much easier to believe that the Sharingan is just inadequate for what you're trying to do. You can't directly copy bloodline techniques or special jutsu with no handsigns, after all, though it does make it easier to work the latter out.

What you need is...

You consider Gai's 'advice', such as it was.

... What you need is to get a good close look at what Gai is doing inside his body. What's going on with his Chakra network. Now, the Sharingan isn't really so good at that.

The other famed Doujutsu of Konoha, the Byakugan, however... that is.

And wouldn't you know it? You've got a pair of those sitting right in your own classroom.

You're up and moving and several blocks away before you slow down. ... Much as you hate to stop and think about things much before actually following through with them, now that you are thinking about it, you have to reluctantly concede the point that that set of Byakugan are currently lodged in a girl. That's a fact.

And that girl is, in fact, the Hyuuga head's daughter.

So...

... It's not to say that you're concerned about what would happen if you, the objectively best Uchiha, but with admittedly less in the way of political clout within the clan, were to barge in and kidnap the Hyuuga Head's daughter for your own nefarious purposes, but...

Well, the good thing about a clan, when it comes down to it, is that there are a lot of people with the same last name and general set of abilities. And the good thing about the Hyuuga Doujutsu is, as far as you can tell, that unlike the Uchiha everyone with the correct last name has it, and there's no fiddly 'unlocking your true power' to go through.

Probably. Could just be another clan secret, and they're only passing down so many Byakugan eyes down through the generations or some such, but if you dwell on that for two long then you're going to get into conspiracy theories and the bad thing about that is that you might accidentally hit a bullseye on a real conspiracy and get murdered for it.

But in any case, that leads you back to the first good thing about a clan.

... By this point you have the schedules of the instructors pretty well memorized, and while things are trapped up in case of students getting into private areas, they can't be too trapped up in case students get into private areas. It's a nifty little conundrum that you'll take full advantage of.

You aren't sneaking in to get at anything sensitive, anyway.

Just the roll call for all the classes.

.... Aaaand got it. There's a good option a couple years ahead of you, not too far distant from your own age. You memorize the name and face and head out looking.

And if you're looking for a Hyuuga, then where better to look than the Hyuuga compound? That makes perfect sense to you. You heave yourself over the walls to a section that looks like the laundry and start poking around, ignoring the befuddled older Hyuuga with loads of cloth in their arms.

After a moment, they seem to decide that this is someone else's problem to deal with and hurry along.

Eventually you find her though, and don't have to go too far before then. She's still in the large laundry section, in an area that seems to focus on linens.

[​IMG]

"Hyuuuuuuga Saki!" you declare, pointing her out.

"Whu?" she intelligently answers, before grabbing a headband and tying it quickly on to cover her brow. You picked out marks there, but it's unimportant for your aims.

"Borrowing you." you declare, simply.

"Wait. What?" she replies. "You can't just borrow-"

"Watch me!" you respond, stepping forward and throwing her over a shoulder before she can think of the words or actions to reply to you with. You wobble a little before balancing the weight.

"Hang on, I'm in the middle of-!" she babbles, clearly flabbergasted at your rudeness to the point of indecisive paralysis. "You can't just walk off with a Hyuuga!"

"Relaaaax, I'm going to bring you back later." you say, heading back to the section of wall that you came over. "Besides, your clan's eyes can see through anything for, like, miles. There's got to be at least a dozen people watching me right now, and if I'm not being stopped then that means it's fiiiii.... ne..." you trail off.

Standing in front of you and looming slightly, looking down with an arched brow and arms crossed arms, is the goddamned Hyuuga clan head himself. You feel like whistling. It was this sort of thing you were trying to avoid by changing targets!

"Hi, Hiashi-sama!" Saki babbles. She doesn't quite vocalize the words 'oh no' or 'help', but you get the feeling they're written all over her face.

"Can Saki-chan come out to play?" you ask, just going for broke now that youre here.

Your cheekiness must win you points or something, because Hiashi sighs deeply.

"She will be returned unharmed." He says, flatly. "Or your own clan will handle matters."

"Uh huh." you agree, vaguely.

"And you will have the decorum to properly use the entry gates." he continues.

".... Suuuuuure." you say, despite having little intention of actually doing so.

He stares you down, then sighs, mumbling 'children' under his breath.

"You will finish other chores later." he says, this time to Saki, before turning and striding away.

"wai... b-bu..." Saki says, reaching out behind you as you go ahead and head for the gates, not because he told you to, but because you feel like it and it would be a pain to carry her over the wall anyway. "... Hiashi-sama..."

---

[ ] ??

Be Chill, veekie, Ku4kin and 112 others like this.
  11. Plotvitalnpc

Saki is incredibly cute.
    She is just..so cute.
    I didn't know I needed mime-shirted hyuugas in my life.
    She also appears to be on the way to Hinatatas, rather than Itty Hanabitty Titties.
    So, what were we doing again, fellas?

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  12. angelofwhim

angelofwhim Experienced.

Making a gang?

MinorGryph likes this.
  13. Plotvitalnpc

I think it was 'trying to get her help to recreate Gai's illusion
    ...I wonder when our special gold jumpsuit order's going to be done.

14. Winged One

Winged One Not the Simurgh

HE KNOWS.

[X] Tell her to look for Gai-jounin, then tell you what's going on inside his chakra system when he does that weird dynamic entry jutsu of his.

15. Plotvitalnpc

[] Tell her to look for Gai-jounin, then tell you what's going on inside his chakra system when he does that weird dynamic entry jutsu of his.

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  16. Bobs Beard

If that's a serious question, this was both the subject of the winning vote and directly brought up in update - IE, since Gai's illusion-that's-sorta-not-an-illusion thing is probably the result of internal Chakra manipulation hooery, we wanted a Hyuuga, with their can-see-Chakra-hooery-even-if-it's-in-the-body-eyes, to help us pick the thing apart.

So now our goal should be... that.

[X]-Okay you have a Hyuuga, and you even have permission to have that Hyuuga now - clearly, there's no longer anything else stopping your nefarious plans.
    -[X]-Explain to Saki how you're trying to steal-no not that, copy in a neighborly fashion, that sounds better - you're trying to do that, to a sealless, seemingly Kai-proof genjutsu that you'll magnanimously let Saki also learn for helping you out.
    --[X]-In the process of explaining, attempt to resist the urge to cackle at your genius. Fail to resist urge, because dang this is such a great idea.
    ---[X]-While Gai-stalking (and Gai-baiting if he doesn't pose without any input from you), pass the time with some smalltalk - you guess you could get to know Saki better, and you are kind of curious why the guy isn't like, the Hyuuga's favorite non-clan member. They love melee, he loves melee - seems like a match made in heaven, so what gives?

Translating this back out of Mio-speak, we're taking Saki out on an outing, immediately presenting the utilitarian function of the outing's goal, then getting to know Saki while, hopefully, getting to know Gai better via a Hyuuga lens.
    Just checking, but you guys do know that's... not at all the part of Guy we were researching, and on the flip side is not an aspect of Gai's Gainess that's in any way indicated to be 'special', rather than just 'fuck you, I lift'.

17. mc2rpg

mc2rpg Versed in the lewd.

[X]-Okay you have a Hyuuga, and you even have permission to have that Hyuuga now - clearly, there's no longer anything else stopping your nefarious plans.
    -[X]-Explain to Saki how you're trying to steal-no not that, copy in a neighborly fashion, that sounds better - you're trying to do that, to a sealless, seemingly Kai-proof genjutsu that you'll magnanimously let Saki also learn for helping you out.
    --[X]-In the process of explaining, attempt to resist the urge to cackle at your genius. Fail to resist urge, because dang this is such a great idea.
    ---[X]-While Gai-stalking (and Gai-baiting if he doesn't pose without any input from you), pass the time with some smalltalk - you guess you could get to know Saki better, and you are kind of curious why the guy isn't like, the Hyuuga's favorite non-clan member. They love melee, he loves melee - seems like a match made in heaven, so what gives?

18. Plotvitalnpc

It was a serious question.
    Saki was just too cute for me to focus.​

19. NoFunposter

NoFunposter Can't sleep, Salt will eat me.

20. Plotvitalnpc

If we try to stick Saki in a Gai Jumpsuit some day...do we make it mime-stripe?

21. False Xteeler

False Xteeler "Hahaha ♪"

22. Winged One

Winged One Not the Simurgh

No, actually, I forgot.

23. Ct613hulu

Ct613hulu Experienced.

24. prandom

prandom Definitely Trustworthy

25. Valette-Serafina

Valette-Serafina Shameless Shadow

Plotvitalnpc likes this.
  26. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

27. Plotvitalnpc

Sempai!
    Would you tend to agree that Saki is adorable and worthy of hugs?

28. The Nobody

The Nobody Why does this line say strange things? Gone for Good

Most of the quests in my "watched" folder are Chibi-Reaper's.

29. angelofwhim

angelofwhim Experienced.

30. 1986ctcel

1986ctcel Connoisseur.

heh adorable, sooooooooooooo Hyuuga harem plan anyone? :D