1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Genocidecles

Genocidecles Know what you're doing yet?

To be fair, this idiot was just wise enough to check with the world's leading experts before enacting his hairbrained scheme. He was also wise enough to listen when they told him it was a dumb idea.

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

He drops from M5 to M2.5
    Thank you, corrected.

3. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

I can only imagine how hard Teclis' mind is going "but what's the catch here?". Good things just don't happen like this in Warhammer, not without a big ol' cloud for all that silver lining. (Also I imagine the Phoenix King is likely to be...resistant to clearing out the differences between Asur and Dawi. Dwarfs aren't the only ones to hold grudges af ter all)

4. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

Deep down, underneath centuries of practice in controlling their emotions, they want to burst out laughing, Teclis especially. It's been a while since he's had anyone to engage in a "snark off" with, I imagine.

5. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

The catch is that any immortal elves have to deal with Paul for eternity.

6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Those poor bastards.

7. Whenever Possible

Whenever Possible Versed in the lewd.

An incomplete list of probably terrible places to dump the overflow magic of the entire world, in no particular order:
    • The Maw
    • The Galleon's Graveyard
    • Skavenblight
    • The Oak of Ages
    • Itza
    • The Rune of Azamar
    • The Altar of Khaine
    • The Black Pyramid
    • Praag (Or wherever Arianka actually is)

8. néocorvinus

néocorvinus Versed in the lewd.

Do you want to end the world?
    Warpstone is one of the most instable material on the planet and the Skaven industrialized around it. Feeding it all the magic is an excellent way to make the plot of TW:W2 without the Skaven needing the massive deception.

And the Black Pyramid? Do you want Age of Sigmar!Nagash right now?

9. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

I close my eyes, sighing

10. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

Thing is, Warhammer Elves aren't exactly immortal though they ARE very long-lived. So the catch would be Paul is sure to outlive the majority of the Asur unless the High Elves develop some means of eternal life.

11. GhostKing 666

GhostKing 666 Know what you're doing yet?

It's not the sea, it's the Great Vortex. The broken Warp Gates were basically flooding the world with magic so Caledor made a drain to siphon as much of said magic out as he could. However at the time, Caledor's Vortex alone would not have been able to handle the inflow. The Truthsayers of Albion turned Albion into a giant magic sink(while also somehow preventing all that magic from congealing into Dhar because the ancient Old One trained Truthsayers were bullshit like that), all the while knowing that it would turn their paradise island into a mist and rain soaked shithole. They knew how badly they were going to fuck their island over and their own future generations, but for the sake of the world they did it anyway.

As for the creation of a global waystone network... it already exists?
    The elves in their post-chaos golden age repurposed the original global Old One waystone network to channel and direct magical energy into the Great Vortex, expanded it with their own waystone copies and then got the dwarfs to help them further expand it with even better copies(first generation waystones are Old One, second generation are elf, third generation are elf/dwarf).

The problem is that over the millennia of decline, both the elves and the dwarfs have lost the knowledge on how to construct waystones. The elves can monitor, maintain and repair waystones, but they can't replace destroyed ones nor can they expand the network like they used too.

12. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Indeed, that would be a bad idea. Since in Warhammer game rules, you would likely count as a Flying character, capable of 'flying high'... And as Characters flying high have learned over the years: You get a long time to contemplate your mistakes when you're falling from the sky...

Just assume they'd be offended in general, and you'll be fine.

They look to be very, very nervous. I would suggest being very disarming and not look too aggressive.

And since you don't have electronics to scan, no way to design one easily.

Well, they aren't shooting at him yet. That's a good sign. Guess short, withered and godlike is in the mood for a chat, not an extermination.

And Teclis just gives him a look only a thousands-of-years-old Elf can. One that the Paragon would probably be familiar with from Hinon...

Hopefully, once you're good enough allies for him not to take it badly, maybe you can offer some physical treatment... Though his bloodline curse may make for a hefty bit of resistance.

...Unless said courier was an Elf, I don't see him getting to Ulthuan easily. Never mind the dangers of the road. If the latter happened to him, your message probably ended up as some Orc's toilet rag.

Ah, in the finest tradition of Pratchett.

At least he's not an arsehole. I mean, you haven't really said anything to offend him, at least... Hopefully he keeps that good mood.

Or any visitors at all. Especially since their general experience with foreigners is 'thieves after gold'.

...Keep in mind, Slaan are very old and very slow to react... I'd laugh if, an hour after he left, the Slann asked, "Eh? Who are you?"

Oh, yes. Potatoes would definitely help there. There's good reason they became a staple of European diets eventually. Never mind the flexibility in preparing them... Bake 'em, mash 'em, put 'em inna stew!

Not a lot of options left in the Old World...

Albion, for reference, is the Old World equivalent of the British Isles. Its' biggest contribution was a world-wide campaign a few editions back that introduced Belakor, First Champion of Chaos, to the setting.

Yeah, that's the kind of thing that would reduce the world to a smoking cinder.

He has plenty of Dakka to work with.

The first of many Greenskin heroes to meet an orange-flavoured demise, I bet. With many Skaven and Chaos to follow.

All of these are references to the prime conflict between Elf and Dwarf in the Old World, the War of the Beard. And yes, the Dark Elves did set it off. And Teclis is no doubt sweating (internally) at the thought of that political coup.

...Would this chemical formula be the same one as discovered by the first users of the Halfling Hot Pot? Which, if memory serves me correctly, was instrumental in ending a battle with an Orc horde by melting the Warlord leading it.

Heh. And if it works, he gets to take credit for it. :p Typical Knife-ears.

I'm sure Paul could provide a detailed map in no time. Just ask.

And if that sounds racist, don't worry. They're all bad guys. Orcs love a good scrap to the point of stating it with those who can't fight back, Goblins are sneaky backstabbing gits, and Beastmen? Their favourite pastimes include rape, murder, arson and rape. And that's just the ones not aligned to a particular Chaos God.

Jumping the gun a little there, Paul.

Such a satisfying feeling, when people aren't being complete idiots, eh?

I'm sure it'll be enlightening.

Well, things went better than expected. I suppose Teclis can look forwards to actually be working with someone who doesn't think with their sword arm or magic wand... I can't imagine the Chaos Gods are going to be particularly happy about their little project, though. Bet Archaon will be getting quite a few visions of 'the orange man' in future.

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I remember once wanting this universe and the Ben 10 one to meet so Azmuth and Hinon could bend over stupid humans misusing their intentions.

Now I want Teclis and Hinon to meet.

Not necessarily.

Teclis is typically very fair and if I remember correctly he actually helped in the creation of the Magic Colleges, so he may give Paul the credit he deserves.

It's possible he'll be more celebrated, at least among the Elves, since he's a highly knowledgeable and famous magic user, so the people may assume he did most of the important work.

14. Dappershire

Dappershire Getting out there.

Directly into Paul's Ring's Storage Space.

15. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

As I understand it, he's acerbic but doesn't put elves on a higher shelf than other races. I imagine Paul's getting the benefit of the doubt because he's obviously trying to be Part Of The Solution and seeing a bigger picture than most other people Teclis deals with. A longer association might have Paul get the rough side of his tongue (...which he may enjoy? I don't know what kind of cat person Paul is in general, but some cat people I know IRL seem to take being licked by sandpaper as a sign of affection. Elves are cats, right?) but Paragon Paul gets something similar from Controller Hinon, which....he takes well enough, I guess?

16. FeepingCreature

FeepingCreature Not too sore, are you?

Yeah man, me too.
    Paul, mad statistician, taking on the replication crisis personally.

17. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Paul's head hasn't exploded yet, so the Chaos Gods are obviously fine with it since they can in fact just explode Paul's head if they want to.

The real problem though is probably going to be Gork and Mork.

Because his quest to destroy the Ork's has almost surely caught their attention. Which means it's only a matter of time before a full on campaign is launched to destroy everything Paul's trying to build.

18. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

He's like a nicer Vril Drox.
    I bet the offer to fix his "problem" will be more complicated than first glance.

Cuchulin and NightmareWarden like this.
  19. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

"And that little ring can do all this work?"

"Yes. It contains an artifical mind, capable of processing...well, every single word written by elves ever every second"

"That seems an...unwise...use of magic"

"It's not magic, per se, and it's creators were very careful not to give it agency, a will of it's own. It is a tool entirely under my control"

"...Oh"

20. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Yes, which they sited over the Inland Sea because that way it wouldn't wreck an entire province.
    That's a post-me retcon that I'm not using, because it makes no sense.
    Actually, Teclis has a pretty decent sense of humour. Not that the Orange Lantern knows that.
    Yes, the courier was an elf. Which goes some way to explaining why they didn't prioritise it.

Altdorf is on a major river, so while river pirates are a possibility orcs were unlikley. Once you get to the coast it's a straight shot to across the sea to Ulthuan.
    Not true, sir! It's also full of giants.
    Unfortunately, the Orange Lantern has no idea who Archaon is. Arbaal the Undefeated and Egrimm van Horstmann on the other hand had better watch out.
    I've tried to find the introduction story for the Hot Pot. No luck. As far as I remember the highlight was melting three trolls after a small force got through to the baggade train.
    For certain websites it's still forbidden to encourage it.
    I'm only aware of two canonical catwomen in Warhammer.

21. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Assblaster5000 likes this.
  22. Mr Zoat

I know, a lot of them do that now and I've got no idea why. They worked when I created them. I'll fix it when I have a moment.

23. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Found an old error in Liberticide part 4.
    There are two quotation marks at the end.

24. SaltyWaffles

SaltyWaffles I trust you know where the happy button is?

This. Paul showed wisdom in wanting to check with the actual experts before even getting attached to the plan, let alone putting any of it into action. He then immediately accepted the judgment of said experts without showing any sign of being upset or offended.

To asur archmages, that is very reassuring—it means that Paul is someone with the capability to change the world while also having the good sense to know that he needs to depend on the experts to determine what major changes are actually good ideas.

25. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

26. LZB1285

LZB1285 Getting sticky.

27. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The funny thing with Paul is him assuming he can actually keep secrets from groups that can see the future.

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  28. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Disclaimer: I have fairly limited knowledge of Warhammer Fantasy, but I haven't seen Zoat answer this himself; I can see why Teclis would want to meet with Paul, but not why they mustered an entire dragonship for it, since those things are apparently irreplaceable and dedicated solely to war, which feels a bit premature when they haven't even met Paul and gotten a clearer sense of the strategy, even if they already know the gist.

Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  29. Mr Zoat

Because information on Ulthuanian birth rates is really sensitive. It impacts not just their ability to survive invasions but to maintain their farming and industry, and keep up the defence of their colonial possessions. The various places Teclis was able to persuade to share that information weren't exactly eager to do so, and even the Dark Elves don't have that level of detail assembled in one place.

It also requires huge amounts of space to hold enough records to cover the subject in any detail.

30. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Usually "geomantic" unless it's different in this setting.