1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

is Himon

Hera, y'know, changed her behavior. OL forgives very readily when people reform.

kerleth, BookZone, Vorian and 6 others like this.
  2. Rockinalice

Rockinalice Versed in the lewd.

I will completely agree the first one being the Bad Act since for a beings like Herc and in that time breaking a Flag of Truth (which is basically his Word) is almost always unforgivable.
    The Raping (which is a Bad and shouldn't be forgiven) in that time wasn't uncommon and is expected when your forces conquered a town (city etc..) it was going to happen.

But i will agree that doing it under a Flag of Truce is what makes it Bad.l for that time period

KenNM, kerleth and Cuchulin like this.
  3. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Well, as pointed out, Solomon didn't try to cut a child in half. He just said he was going to do it to determine which woman cared more about the well-being of the child. If anyone should get that kind of remark it should be the woman who was like, "I'm totally fine with getting half a child."

Also, this whole track about spreading Hellenism and proselytizing on behalf of the Greek gods is kind of weird to me. You look at all the stuff about them and it's just, like, are you sure you want these fuckers more involved in mortal affairs? Near as I can recall, the number of Greek gods that aren't absolute garbage can be counted on one hand.

Beyond that, I'm kind of hoping Billy takes Zauriel up on his offer. It'd amuse me given Paul apparently seems willing to suggest he seek patronage from any source other than Heaven.

KenNM, Jaron, kerleth and 6 others like this.
  4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    We were comparing it to what the Amazons did, and for obvious reasons they generally didn't rape people when they conquered places.
    Market forces will force them to buck their ideas up. Also, they're being vetted.

5. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

"A"?
    Good luck finding all of Zeus's bastard sons and daughters.

Cuchulin likes this.
  6. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

If Zoat is using Thunderbolt Jaxon, Albion's sequel, the Norse Gods might have died offscreen.

A British kid get's Thor's belt, which allows him to transform, it ends with the Asgardians moving on if I remember correctly.

Cuchulin likes this.
  7. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Yes they did...

That was one of the ways they kept their numbers up...

The other of course being raiding a town and taking female children while butchering everyone else.

kerleth, Cuchulin and Rockinalice like this.
  8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

And that's if you lose more than one finger.

Heaven did harm him ore than any other pantheon.

Though if Zauriel sponsors him then at least the Wizard won't need to change his name.

Yeah, most mortals may no longer feel like they need to accept their gods being douchebags.

He's not using that since they've been confirmed as being alive due to the Einherjar.

Cuchulin likes this.
  9. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Mr Zoat what's Zauriel been up to recently and has Christianity taken any major hits since they killed and resurrected a huge chunk of the population?

KenNM, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  10. Stsword

Last we saw.

Which is why I typed they "might have died" offscreen.

11. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yeah, Paul and Zauriel agreed to bury the hatchet but they haven't had any hilarious "I forgive this person" "Does that mean I can't kill them?" interactions since the whole Heaven Invasion fiasco.

KenNM likes this.
  12. Mr Zoat

Stuff. I haven't thought about it.
    Sort of. Zauriel's been pretty clear that they don't get spoken-word instructions from God and weren't specifically told to do what they did, but that was a lot. On the other hand, definitive proof that their afterlife exists.

KenNM, BookZone, Cuchulin and 5 others like this.
  13. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Glad I'm not the only one thinking this. OL getting 'volunteered' for the job if he can't find someone suitable, in a kind of 'you break it, you bought it' situation for kicking off the whole can of worms.

...and he does seem to have qualifications, what with ending the Citadel as a local power, as well as the planet of eye biters, and the whole 'I will be systemically destroying your planets until your champion shows up to stop me' thing he did with the spider guild. He may not usually go in for endorsing bloodlust, but he has pragmatic ruthlessness down pat. And espoused good war virtues, like not wanting to engage in 'diplomacy by other means' without first trying to find an acceptable nonviolent compromise. And when he makes those offers, he has always been 100% sincere - which is a breath of fresh air considering current IRL events.

And he apparently has a problem with leaning magics, on account of current instructions non accounting for his nonstandard soul (which sounds like BS what whatever). if he did undergo apotheosis, then he would have access to some intuitive magics related to his domains.

kerleth, BookZone, kyomei93 and 5 others like this.
  14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Last we saw of him he agreed to help the Terror Twins' mom with her alcoholism.

Maybe aside from doing superhero related things he also tries to help addicts overcome their addictions.

kyomei93 and Ardy like this.
  15. Ardy

And flirting with that mortal girl he had the hots for.

16. woweed

woweed Know what you're doing yet?

I don't think Paulragon really fits that.

Also, quick, someone find every major mythological figure with a Z name. (Of course, the S was the hard one. We wanted to do "Wit of Sisyphus", but Zeus refused to let him off the leash, and Shazam has...Issues with Styx and Scylla, so he decided to look in another pantheon.)

kerleth, Ardy and Prince Charon like this.
  17. Stsword

That doesn't seem to matter actually.
    [​IMG]

The wizard gave Shaggy the persistence of Sisyphus with the magic word....Zoinks.

18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I get the powers he's getting, but what does "Neptune's Depth" give him?

19. Threadmarks: Regnancy (part 10)
    Mr Zoat

29th October 2012
    03:45 GMT +3

Olympus has already started to change.

Hephaestaean told me that he considered teleporting his old workshop up here, then decided that it wouldn't be worth it. His expertise has expanded so much that it would be easier to just start again… Not that he's had time, or is likely to have time in the near future. But an oval-shaped deliberative chamber has replaced Zeus's feasting room, and… Dolmen Gates that look suspiciously like stargates have appeared near to convenient points of egress. Did he put his head together with Hecate, or has his domain expanded to the point where he can invent novel arcanotechnology without anyone's help?

Idle curiosity. Not important right now, and I actively want to flip the table so it's not really a problem -for me- if something goes a little off-script.

The other matter, on the other hand…

"I beg your pardon, my lord, but we aren't really set up to receive guests at the moment. If you had sent word ahead I would have ensured that Hephaestaean was here to greet you."

Susano-o-no-Mikoto nods politely.

"The honourable representative has no need to apologise. This humble one was impetuously overwhelmed by curiosity. It has been a great deal of time since the Gods of Japan have had direct contact with the Gods of Olympus."

Even I caught that jab. One side has a country, the other side has a hill with delusions of grandeur. But they're not exactly in competition. The Olympians might be work shy, but they don't have the same need to take advantage of their brief moment of fame to secure their metaphysiques and make themselves into something that Johnny-come-latelies do.

I smile politely at Lady Liberty, who smiles back just as honestly. She's gone for the classical robes that look classy to most modern people but just look a little off to someone used to Themysciran clothing. I'll be interested to see if she actually sounds French.

"You are welcome to visit for as long as you like, but I am afraid that we will be poor hosts at present."

"It seems to me that you're the person to talk to if we want to get something done around here."

Ah. Transatlantic, with just a hint of a French accent. How marvellously fake.

"Madam, I may properly be likened to a sixty year old sea mine: reasonably safe if left to my own devices, but prone to explode if prodded. The question of whether or not I can 'get things done' is not precisely relevant."

"Alright, then let's save us the trouble of you and Mister Mikoto talking around each other for hours. Hephaestus wants to rebuild his pantheon into something that humans all over the world will worship. But how about trying something different?"

"We're already working on aliens, if that's what you mean."

"I mean, why not make it part of a wider revival of other faiths?"

"Lack of a personal stake."

"Oh?" She raises her eyebrows. "Your negotiations with the Silver City resulted in necromancers being able to reach their dead for the first time in history, and your provocation turned more waverers away from their 'default' religion. Superheroes are already objects of reverence. Do you know how many people worship Superman?"

"'Worship' as in 'literally pray to', or as in 'revere greatly'?"

"Why split hairs? The Roman Catholics had indulgences and crucifixes. He has t-shirts and posable action figures. People all across the world cheer on his deeds, wear his symbol and call out to him in times of hardship."

"The difference may only exist in peoples' minds, but it does exist there. There's a big difference between passively accepting converts and actively proselytising. And yes, I do know roughly how many people worship him and I know roughly what he thinks of them. He has absolutely no desire to be a god."

"Then he should consider being less godly."

Susano-o-no-Mikoto looks a little uncomfortable at how assertive she's being, but he holds his tongue.

"Our pantheon is expanding into new markets. People shouldn't be tied to contracts with gods they don't want. But that doesn't mean we have to compete."

"To paraphrase G'kar, I have no desire to replace a monopoly with another monopoly. I'm helping Hephaestaean because he took a big risk to help me and I owe him at least this much. Look, could you explain what you actually want and leave convincing me until after I've said 'no'?"

"My proposal is that non-monotheistic religions should act in concert… At least, in the initial stages, in order to normalise theological pluralism and defray potential backlash."

"Not a terrible idea. But the founding gods of Shinto are already worshipped by the Japanese, and… No one else. You've been expanding by recruiting people like you, who are already revered in other places. The Olympians are going to be trying to convert people who've heard of them but see them as something other."

"Greater risk of failure, but with that comes a greater potential reward. We'd like to improve your odds and take a little of the reward ourselves. I've read the digest version of your thaumic research write-ups. Earth has more than enough raw magic to sustain all of its gods. And people are mentally flexible enough to accept gods with overlapping responsibilities. We could form a united pantheon for the entire world."

"A trade association?"

"By setting certain standards of behavior, we could limit the influence of those who… Struggle to remember that we're here to work with mortals. You may find our help useful if some of the Othrysians don't cope very well with freedom."

Ah… This is what I get for not having a plan in place: people expecting me to decide things. I mean, I could just say 'Hail Eris' and ignore the issue, but I don't think-.

"This one apologises for interrupting this most worthy discussion, but this one had been under the impression that there were no other gods in residence."

I turn, following his gaze upwards to the true summit of Mount Olympus, the counterpart of 'the Throne of Zeus' of the material mountain. On the absolute peak, a man holds his arms over his head in triumph.

"There… Aren't. Please excuse me while I go and find out who that is."

I fly towards the man, who lowers his arms and starts to look around and appreciate the view. He's dressed like a mountaineer from the mid-twentieth century, back when silk and tweed were the clothing of choice rather than modern thermals. His chin is covered in a mid-length black beard, and there's a small amount of black hair poking out from under his hat at the back. He has a climbing axe in his right hand-. No, strapped to the stump of his right forearm, a loop of rope slung over his shoulder and a heavy pack on his back.

He turns back my way, sees me and waves his left hand before sitting down on the rock and doffing his pack. "Ho, Lantern!"

"Hello? I'm sorry, but we're not really open for business at the moment."

"I know. Kratos told me that you were hiring, so I thought I should be proactive and apply for the job in person."

"Ah, well, I appreciate it, Mister..?"

"Týr. Or call me Tyr; I know English-speakers don't like the accents."

"Oh. Excellent. I actually recommended you for the position two years ago, so I'm very glad that you're here. Um, what's in the bag?"

He wraps his hook around the straps holding the back closed and tugs, revealing...

"Five thousand years' worth of references. I'm eager to join a pantheon that's as proactive as I am, so I thought I should make a strong impression. How am I doing?"

Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
  20. thepsyborg

thepsyborg Not too sore, are you?

21. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

2 related things. Would actually like to see Paul meet Hercules and what static comes out of that. Also Paul meeting Odin and how that shakes out.

22. Whenever Possible

Whenever Possible Versed in the lewd.

Superman isn't the one who needs to be taught to look less like a god, people need to be taught that considering people to be gods dependant on how they look is wrong

-the GEoM, abridgedly

Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
  23. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Aw. If Barda didn’t get it, I was hoping Prometheus would show up as a god of War and Peace (covering fringe activities like economic disruption and spycraft).

24. The Froggy Ninja

The Froggy Ninja The Blade Will Never Die

I wonder where Loki sits on the spectrum of “actively wants to watch the world burn because it would be funny, had monster kids who wanted to destroy the world from birth and deserved everything he got” to “trickster who was compelled to solve basically all of the Aesir’s problems, including the ones he didn’t cause, was punished wildly out of proportion whenever he did do something, had all his not attractive children bound, exiled and/or enslaved and has been tortured for unknown millennia while chained to a rock with the entrails of his attractive children”.

25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah, restructuring the political landscape of Olympis is going to take up his time.

Though he may want to go back to basics to take a break.

"But an oval"

Or maybe he already knew how to make some of this stuff previously.

"time since"

Yeah, the Olympians control a mountain while the Shinto a country.

Most can tell you who the Olympians are, but few outside of Japan can tell you anything about the Shinto.

This is an apt description.

She has a point.

You don't want eldritch gods walking around and causing chaos.

So that reader that suggested Tyr was right.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
  26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"so I thought"

27. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Prometheus, the Firestealer, would be more god of Progress, Ideas and Enlightenment, right? At least, after modernity got it's hooks into him.

He would probably have no difficulty finding worshippers.

Hephesteaen will be worshipped by engineers and Prometheus by scientists.

The idea to create a unified pantheon sounds awesome, Earth and Humanity can use all the help they can get.

If the gods go the DnD route and grant believers powers they will bascially be set.

28. Ardy

He started to undergo character development

29. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

I'd say that Superman is less like a god and more like a Classical Greek Hero as they as had cults that honored them.

30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Though I think most of them would start after said hero died.

Cuchulin, KenNM, ChestBurster and 5 others like this.