1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

"Excuse me, a little privacy please?"

Would be a bit rude to discuss that sort of thing amongst a crowd of sticky-beak bystanders.

Did he honestly think about the likelihood of success at any point in this?

But that place is boring as hell, and a reminder that Supes isn't sharing any tech.

Progress! Admittedly, I don't think she's entirely happy about it all...

No point trying to rehabilitate the Citadellians.

...Why didn't you think of that, OL!

And he can't get them to Sivana, because supervillain.

I'm pretty sure an interdimensional transit is something they'd like to be made aware of sooner than someone's report.

That assumes the Guardians would allow any Bleed-relevant tech to be available to Lanterns, even Honour Guard.

A Hole in the universal fabric isn't relevant... Guy, you need to consider your priorities...

More or less. I'm sure Angelika summarized.

Especially since without Kryptonian tech they'd start losing the war. A super-powered toddler wouldn't help.

And Kryptonian strength could make up for a lot of things. Assuming Alan lasted long enough to face Overman.

And I don't think Guy looks that old.

Excuse me while I roll on the floor laughing... Dammit, why such a limited selection of smileys...

I suspect Batman would not be happy about that...

Admittedly, she's been impressively stable about it, besides all the [Screaming Internally]...

And the local Sector Lanterns are operating hands-off for some reason...

Yeah, they are not exactly up to invading the conquered planet. Besides, Guy's Ring might have something to say about the 'internal politics' restriction.

Combat Pragmatism is not just for Batman, Guy. You take any advantage you can.

Ah, I see Angelika's finished talking. Hopefully she hasn't been backsliding.

Wow, he's actually apologizing for harping on this? Angelika's not the only one making progress.

What's first stop, Birthplace of Hitler? The Reischstag dome? Site of The Berlin Wall?

Himmler's creepy Nazi Magic castle? Well, I'm sure nothing can go wrong!

Well, I was wrong about the call. Still expecting Overman and company to turn up somehow. Because the League is not really appearing to be doing anything about this. On the other hand, that's because OL's focus POV...

Corrections:
    Missing End Quote.
    ...rehabilitate the Citadel to."
    ...I've done is fetch some...

2. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

That castle showed up in Ring of Evil.

Nazis made a deal with demons to win the war, which the demons fulfilled by making a green power ring.

Which couldn't affect iron, iron being an antimagical metal in DC, but now that I'm thinking about it is a rather inconvenient weakness for a super trying to win WW2.

So somewhere in the DC mutliverse there could be an alt.Paul with a ring that bitches at him in German whenever he does something un-Nazi like. :)

3. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Other than it obviously not being her home, or an SS training facility, not really sure what visiting the castle would accomplish. It's not like she doesn't know the Holocaust happened.

And I'll also point out that a Paul 10 wouldn't automatically mean social upheaval for Earth 10. I'd even go so far as to say his presence would be unlikely to actually change anything.

A hypothetical Paul 10 would have shown up like any of the others. With just a ring. No lantern to go with it. Don't know what color it would be. Would only have the one charge. Wouldn't have any of the time the Paragon needed to master his ring.

Bare minimum? It'd go at least as poorly as things went for Blue Paul. And if he didn't get himself killed, maybe they let him start a new life as just another person living in their utopia.

Cuchulin, DrThoth, Ardy and 1 other person like this.
  4. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

In the Mark 1 Comics universe?

5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Rewritten.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Is... That a joke?

6. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

But it doesn't exist in Earth-10.

7. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Based on your extensive research of earth-10z through.... what, exactly?

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Even if Overgirl is not rehabilitated i am sure that many people enjoyed watching a nazi have such a crisis.
    I am reminded of a quote by YJ abridged Jeffrey Burr
    Some people are like slinkys, they don't serve any purpose, but you can't help but smile when you see one falling down the stairs.

Paul may not be in every universe, but he sure seems to be very prolific.
    We have The Boys, JL animated, Young Justice, Teen Titans, Crime Syndicate etc.

Zoat are you planning on doing a version of the SI that ended up in the DC abridged universe, or at least a April Fools episode where the SI goes there?
    It would be hilarious if we could see the renegade dealing with Supes trying to have him deported, as well as trying to deal with the clusterfuck that was Supes and Lexs presidential campaign.
    Essentially trying to decide if you want to take a bath in cyanide or sniff mustard gas.
    The renegade being called a dark butterfly from the pits by Desaad, or some other equally ridiculous name, resisting the urge to kill Savage when he says he was there for everything, trying to understand what the fuck Brain is saying, dealing with Deathstroke, ribbing Orm for being a bitch tit etc.
    The paragon trying to tell Batman how if something is capable of thought then it counts as "people", him helping Ollie with his drinking problem, restoring Floyd Lawtons faith in black people, help Tim get his AI girlfriend, helping Supes become less of a dick, evacuating people to Tamaran if either Supes or Lex are elected, helping Orm become less of a bitch tit,dealing with his attraction to Nightwing and his perfectly sculpted ass and godlike glutes etc.
    Both the renegade and paragon dealing with Alfredx3
    And finally putting on the Helmet of Fate to briefly get future visions, or alternate universe visions, as well as finding out that Zatarra is in full control, because Nabu is on vacation, but is only pretending to be controlled by Nabu because he doesn't want to raise his daughter.

IsActuallyBatman likes this.
  9. Jormuungaand

Jormuungaand Out of work World Serpent

Both types carry the genes needed to produce all types of children but the physical tab A and slot B pairings or their equivalents only match up Greater to Greater and Lesser to Lesser?

Whenever Possible likes this.
  10. Grek

Grek (she/her)

Suppose that we have three sex chromosomes (X, Y, and Z) and that individuals can be monokaryotic (they only have one of the sex chromosomes), homozygously dikaryotic (they have two of the same sex chromosomes) or heterozygously dikaryotic (they have two different sex chromosomes). This translates to our Neutrals, our Lessers and our Greaters respectively - the more different kinds of chromosome a zygote has, the larger and more developed the resulting offspring. Neutrals only have one chromosome, so they can't carry out meiosis, don't produce any gametes and are entirely sterile. Greaters exhibit hybrid vigor compared to Lessers, and as a result their gametes are incompatibly sized - a Lesser gametes are a quarter of the size of a Greater's gametes, so they aren't compatible. Unfertilized gametes (of either type) mature into Neutrals via haplodiplody. (I say gametes instead of sperm/egg since they'd likely have isogametes, ie. both parents produce the same kind of sex cell.)

Note that this suggests that two Greaters of the same sex have a 50%/50% chance of Lesser/Greater; two Greaters of different sex have a 25%/75%; two Lessers of the same sex always produce a Lesser and two Lessers of the opposite sex have a 50%/50% chance.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    Vorian likes this.
  11. Bigreader

Bigreader Doom. Boom!

I feel like Paul may be having some memory issues did he not remember that issue where he met the bug and saw a bunch of parallels of him and different versions of the DC Universe or was that the other guy? Is he having memory problems? Also how is he not crapping his pants at this point I mean portals opening up red skies and lightning I mean at this point with the parallel universe stuff would sound like the setup for crisis on infinite Earths and considering how that ended I would think Paul would be very very worried about where this is heading.

Chaoswind, Ardy, DrThoth and 2 others like this.
  12. Sordid Snake

Sordid Snake (Verified Viper)

The castle itself is wasn't built by the nazis, it was preexisting and Himmler had it renovated and rebuilt by slave labour. He wanted to make it the literal center of a huge SS headquarters/school/university.

Added in edit:
    And speaking of the SS, is Overgirls 'S' insignia a lightining rune? I think that is a banned symbol in Germany, so the local police might be on the way. Along with probable "That Cosplay is in very bad taste and disrespectful to Superman!"-reactions.

Darko likes this.
  13. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Look I love Alan as much as the next guy but in a fight against overman, Alan dies. maybe Doctor Fate or Captain Cornwall (the WWII one) could take him but Lantern Scott loses hard.

Darko likes this.
  14. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Because that means there is either several Earth Primes or some nutjob just duplicated Paul a lot.

Cat Paul was green, right? Or was that just an Omake?

WhiteNoise likes this.
  15. Mr Zoat

Haven't watched it.
    No version of me was inserted into Just'a Lotta Animals.

16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I recommend you watch DC abridged.
    You would be impressed how they managed to combine the various animated universes together.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  17. Sun Dog

Sun Dog Getting out there.

The headquarters of the New Statesmen, presumably. But in our Earth and most likely 16, it's a museum to the horrors and atrocities of the Nazi regime, along with some of the just plain weird stuff they believed in. So that should be fun for Overgirl.

Himmler used the castle to store artifacts of importance, like the Nazis alleged Spear of Destiny, as well as to train the SS in his brand of bizarre neo-paganism, and did various rituals. We still don't know tons of what went on in there, because the Nazis burned out the interior before it could fall into Allied hands. So it comes up a lot in fiction where the Nazis win or had a supernatural edge. Also, a work camp of 4,000 was nearby to see to the castle's ongoing refurbishment, and half of the prisoners died, and its a sad commentary where that's an afterthought, but y'know, Nazis. The deaths of just a few thousand innocents kind of is a footnote.

18. Lazurman

Lazurman That Others May Fap

Was that ever confirmed? Or can we safely say it doesn’t not exist?

IsActuallyBatman likes this.
  19. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

With a power ring in a universe not following Zoat's rules? Not hardly.

I don't even know who those people are, but again, really under estimating the power ring.

By the by, ask the Citadel and the Psiyons about that whole "can't win" thing.

How fast do these comic people breed and carry to term?

Now I'm just picturing people humping in seas of fire, and launching babies at my red light shields.

They know my kryptonite! Vaginas!

20. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

That's an old definition that's fallen out of favor because it's proven to not be sufficiently robust. Fertile hybrids most certainly exist, especially if you go outside of the animal kingdom. (Indeed, most domesticated crops are fertile polyploid hybrids.) And on the flip side there are ring species where two populations aren't able to directly interbreed with each other but can both interbreed with a third population.

One possible mechanism that hadn't been brought up is that it might just be the case that some allele that differs between the Greater and Lesser genome is fine in the heterozygous case, the homozygous case is lethal to the embryo.

"passersby" (or if that's weird to you I think "passers-by" is acceptable in British English; it's considered archaic in American English)

Missing closing quote.

No it isn't. It's drawing a parallel that not encountering a parallel of himself on Earth 16 is evidence (though not proof) of the thing he's pondering over.

21. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

Well, they meant to hit "3" for number of copies (OL, Gravy, Baul), but the touch screen on the Cosmic Photocopier is finicky, so they accidentally entered "333" instead. Hey, if there's a Cosmic Treadmill, why not a Cosmic Photocopier?

22. ForeverShogo

The weird stuff was mostly Himmler and some of his cronies. A lot of Nazis, including Hitler, thought Himmler's obsession with neo-paganism was goofy as fuck.

Then again, that's real life. Here, we're talking about the Nazis of the DC multiverse. A multiverse where a lot of that really goofy shit was real. Where they had the actual Spear of Destiny, and used it for occult rituals that would brainwash Allied superheroes if they tried stomping around in Europe.

Cuchulin, DrThoth and Darko like this.
  23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The nazis may have used actual magic on earth 16, but i am pretty sure that aside from Captain Nazi and the spear most of the things they did would be considered weird and stupid by actual magicians.

Vorian and DrThoth like this.
  24. Mr Zoat

Sold!
    Thank you, corrected.
    It's more that they ended up doing things that weren't stupid and weird, if only by process of elimination.

25. WaleXdraK

WaleXdraK Not too sore, are you?

While Paul was already good at using his ring while he just started, he was far from being at the same level then he is now, if he tried to rush thing while try to fight a whole Planet of Nazi and wasn’t careful enough he would have died pretty easily against a justice league with no problem with killing and an army using bullshit kryptonian tech, we know the Pauls got the same knowledge (of the basic DC verse) and Orange Lantern doesn’t seem to know anything about the Nazi-Dc verse so a Paul dropped would have minimal information (i doubt Neo-Kryptonian tech is easily hacked without setting up alarm or revealing his locations) and wouldn’t know thing like who to trust and so on.

Ardy, Cuchulin and DrThoth like this.
  26. TotalAbsolutism

TotalAbsolutism Magnificent Bastard Moderator

I don't think he'd have tried to fight them; I think he would have gone to one of the other remaining nations and started a competing uplift program designed to show that the Nazi methodology isn't necessary for success. Thus having him labelled as a major subversive person by the local regime.

27. WaleXdraK

WaleXdraK Not too sore, are you?

From what i know about Earth-10 (not that much, there isn’t load of information about Earth-10) even if Germania isn’t officially controlling the planet, they still are officiously and i don’t think any country would want to piss them off, even in another country Paul wouldn’t be safe.

Ardy, Cuchulin and DrThoth like this.
  28. ForeverShogo

I mean, there's still a limit to what he could actually do off of a single ring charge even if he did try to go somewhere else and start an uplift program.

Paul doesn't actually know how DC's crazy schizo tech works. The ring does most things for him. So I don't imagine he'd actually get very far before the ring runs out of juice. And that's assuming his arrival isn't immediately picked up by the Eagle's Nest and Overman shows up to greet him.

Also, a hypothetical Earth 10 Paul probably wouldn't know anything about the Nazi controlled Earth beyond the immediately obvious. Whatever sends the various incarnations of Paul to these universes also erases his memory of whichever universe he landed in. Any info he'd have would be stuff people would have to tell him or stuff he'd have to look up himself.

29. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise Making the rounds.

I didn't say the BSC strawman of "fertile hybrids are possible". As you say, there are problems with that. (Though almost any species concept has edge cases that are hard problems). I talked directly about observed gene flows. If the genes don't really flow between two populations, and there's little chance of that happening anytime soon, there's usually very limited utility in considering them part of the same species. Conversely, if the genes intermix freely in the wild, it's kind of ludicrous to declare the subpopulations to be different species anymore than blue-eyed and brown-eyed humans would be different species. Between these extremes are trickier cases. One can argue about where the exact species line is in mallards vs other ducks1, but cryptic species are considered separate species for good reason -- if we didn't care about gene flows, we could lump them together as folk taxonomy would.

This all fails for asexual species, of course. And plants are ridiculously promiscuous, and tolerate polyploidy more than animals.

Chain species present the same line-drawing problem for any species concept, even purely morphological ones.

1Most ducks keep to their own populations. Mallards will fuck anything, and they're fertile with a lot of other duck populations, to the point where people start worrying about "genetic pollution" in ways that start to sound like Nazi propaganda.

30. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

I mean, I recognize your point, but there are a lot of reasons besides genetic compatibility that genes may not transfer between populations. Geographic range, for example -- American cats are exceptionally unlikely to breed with African cats, but they're both uncontroversially Felis catus. So you can't restrict consideration only to observed gene flows. And even our own genome is the result of interspecies breeding with Homo neandertalensis and Homo denisova.

Dogs also make for an exceptionally confusing case, because there are obvious physical incompatibilities between some breeds, and less obvious (but well-known to breeders) fatal gene interactions between some breeds, and the morphological differences between dog breeds go far beyond what would be enough to make biologists suspect a different species if we didn't already know any better.

So it is as you say -- there is no good way of defining what a "species" actually is, so we can't really judge the clickers by any strict definition.

Thrackerzod and Cuchulin like this.