• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Has Robert considered doing what Zatanna did and getting a Genomorph-based accelerated education? Superheroing is what he's all about, after all. Though I don't even remember the last time I saw him onscreen.

Not sure.

Maybe he wants to experience school like everyone else and then go on to be a full time superhero.

I remember he was shown in the A Week in the Life episode where they investigated the place Dream was kept.

15th April
12:48 GMT

Robert half-closes his eyes for a moment, then shakes his head.

"Yeah, I can feel it."

The manor of Fawney Rig hasn't changed since last time I was here. There's a party of Chinese tourists walking the grounds, but they're almost immediately more interested in Robert, Wallace and me than in the location. To most people it's just the base of operations of a group of mystical rip-off merchants who were briefly a thing in the seventies and eighties. I'd say something, but the absolute last thing the universe needs is anyone else trying to trap the Endless. It was hard to see on a country-by-country basis, but when I looked at the statistics worldwide his imprisonment killed thousands of people who went to sleep and never woke up… Or woke up and lost the ability to sleep.

I haven't tried looking at the same period on other planets.

Wallace frowns as I pay for our entry and we head towards the house.

"Are you serious about this? This… Endless guy was trapped here for seventy years, and there aren't any… I don't know, magical barriers here?"

"The only heavy-duty bound spell was the one keeping him imprisoned. Otherwise, it was all minor stuff. While it worked."

Robert nods. "Yeah. It feels weird, but it's a background weird."

Wallace nods uncertainly as we enter the house. "So how come no one else spotted this sand stuff?"

"The man who owned the place before the National Trust bought it didn't believe in magic. The only reason he kept the setup downstairs in one piece was so that he had something impressive-looking to show potential 'investors'. I still don't think that anyone who actually knows anything about magic has made it safe."

Wallace stops. "What?"

"Oh, no, no." Robert shakes his head. "Dad told me. They got someone called Cursitor Doom to check the place over in the eighties. Should be alright."

"But we're relying on it not being alright, right?"

I lead the way towards the basement.

"Dream sand is only dangerous in high concentrations. And even then, actual dream manifestations require long term exposure." I take a warded gas mask out of subspace and offer it to him. "It shouldn't be a problem anyway, but just in case…"

He takes it from me and looks at it for a moment.

"Kid Sandman, here we come."

He puts it on over his face, fiddling with it in a vain attempt to make it comfortable. I have no idea how Wesley Dodds managed for so many years.

"So how are we finding this stuff?"

"I scanned the sand that Fate had." I lead the way down the stairs into the basement. "And while my ring couldn't make sense of the exotic aspect, it gave me a pretty clear reading on the 'sand' part. So all I've got to do is scan for that sand, and we should have it."

Robert frowns. "I thought they took his stuff off him as soon as he got here."

"Yes, but it was in the building for years. If he spilled some inside the circle, or they spilled some in the house somewhere, I should be able to find it."

"Ugless they were having some building work done."

"Sand isn't just sand. I can distinguish between the molecular structure of that sand and the stuff that's used in the local buildings."

I step out into the basement and walk a little way around the room, letting the others come in. Robert looks fascinated, though I'm not sure how much of that is due to the history of the place and how much to whatever his arcane senses are telling him. Wallace-.

"Oou really couldn't put a throat mike in this thing?"

"It would be an extra point of weakness and complexity. Ring, find me some sand."

Orange light washes outward, covering the inner surfaces of the room. And like a disclosing tablet, colour pools in particular areas of the room. Nooks and crannies in the stone floor, the walls, the tapestries and the stairs. Not a lot really, but worth noting.

I make a pulling gesture with my left hand and it comes, flying through the air and coming to rest in a small construct box. No, not a lot, but perhaps we can do something with it.

"Stuff dreams are made of." Robert frowns. "What happened to the woman who was using it?"

"She starved to death." I shrug. "Sort of. She only lasted as long as she did because she spent so much time in the Dreaming, but her body was a mess when she finally died."

One last strobe around reveals nothing, and I turn to leave.

"And what happened to her house?"

"Her father's brother got it in his will, and he sold it. The family who moved in ended up having bizarre waking dreams, galloping nightmares, believing they were other people, all sorts of weird stuff. There was a nasty legal battle over the sale which ended with the bank repossessing it. They couldn't sell it, a few people tried squatting there which resulted in it being burned down. It's a grass field, now. There's no way we're getting any sand from there."

I fly back up the stairs, tiny quantities of dream sand making themselves known as I go. I… Vaguely remember Morpheus dosing a few people with sand during his escape, but after this long I doubt that I'll get more than a few grains anywhere which isn't somewhere where he did that. Probably just the bedroom of the former owner, Alex Burgess.

"…supposed to help us find him?"

Robert and Wallace follow me back up, Wallace shaking his head.

"Fate can use it as a focus for a spell to detect other people using dream magic. It's not something a lot of magicians use, so it should show us where to look. I wanna see if I can use it alchemically. If this stuff can make anything I can imagine real, I might be able to make a potion to fix Sandy."

"You think so?"

"This… Something like this needs a real expert. But there aren't any. There's some people who use scientific equipment to do alchemy, but there's no one who's actually studied it scientifically. So it's not like when Tempest and Aquagirl do a whole lot of math to work out how their spells should go; this is basically… Guessing."

He grimaces under his mask.

"Hey, Oh El: Sandy didn't ever get the same kinda dreams that Sandman did, did he?"

"Not as far as I know."

Based on sources that I've found here and based on the handful of Justice Society of America comics I read with him in them. Mostly what I remember of that is him complaining about how libidinous everyone had become since the forties and then getting into a fight with Hawkman over Hawkgirl.

"No, that would be too easy."

We continue through the house until we get to the bedroom. They've redecorated it to look how it did during the heyday of The Order of Ancient Mysteries, but… Yes, a decent amount of sand lurks under the carpet. Probably a good job that no one tried sleeping here since Alex died.

I hold up the small construct box with even less sand than John had. And I'm not completely sure that it is all dream sand.

"I think this is all we're getting. Time to head back."

Not sure.

Maybe he wants to experience school like everyone else and then go on to be a full time superhero.

I remember he was shown in the A Week in the Life episode where they investigated the place Dream was kept.
Does Mr Zoat share his secrets with you or something? You seem to have an encyclopedic knowledge of this fic that is quite impressive

Those don't exist anymore. Have been gone for quite a while actually.
Sadly he lost most of his demon constructs when Agony and Ecstasy destroyed them during the Ressurectionists episode.
The only demon construct he has now is the Hellwarith thing and maybe that amphibian from that city the Sheeda forgot missed that was assimilated by the Ophidian during the Titanfall episode.
Yeah, not getting more of those was a mistake. Paul really should just assimilate all of Hell.

Yeah, not getting more of those was a mistake. Paul really should just assimilate all of Hell.

That...may be difficult.

I also think Paul once said that the reason he didn't assimilate more of them was because he discovered he can be harmed through them by use of demonic magic.

I think Darko also spend a long time asking a bunch of questions about minutiae and details of the fic, so there's that.

Yeah I did, but this one I just remembered from reading the chapters.

I also think Paul once said that the reason he didn't assimilate more of them was because he discovered he can be harmed through them by use of demonic magic.
10YvRyg.jpg

I think Darko also spend a long time asking a bunch of questions about minutiae and details of the fic, so there's that.
He also spends a lot of time just making stuff up, and then when shown to be wrong, declair's very loudly that Zoat doesn't have to listen to that and can do it his way instead.

Other people can also use demon magic in this story.

I think what the rabbit meant is that Demon Magic can only be used because Hell exists and Demons exists. If all Demons are assimilated, from where would mortal magic users use demon magic? Only the Illustres, if he assimilated all demons, would be able to use Demon magic.

I think what the rabbit meant is that Demon Magic can only be used because Hell exists and Demons exists. If all Demons are assimilated, from where would mortal magic users use demon magic? Only the Illustres, if he assimilated all demons, would be able to use Demon magic.

Other magic users could just use the magical energy from Hell to use hell/demon magic, without needing to deal with demons.

Zoat did Paul build a temple for Hades on Tamaran like he did on Karna?

Tamaran doesn't have a death god, or probably even an afterlife, so it would make sense for him to do it, and I bet the Tamaraneans would be willing to let him do it.

Introducing Helios to them could also be productive, seeing as he's a sun god, so some of them may become interested in what he has to offer and start worshipping him.

X'hal doesn't seem to interact with or do anything for the Tamaraneans so they may be interested in a god that does.

Last edited:

Tamaran doesn't have a death god, or probably even an afterlife, so it would make sense for him to do it, and I bet the Tamaraneans would be willing to let him do it.

Introducing Helios to them could also be productive, seeing as he's a sun god, so some of them may become interested in what he has to offer and start worshipping him.
The Tamaraneans already have a Goddess...

Her name is X'Hal.

Faed Away (part 16)
5th May
03:13 GMT -5

Left fist left fist left fist!

Focusing on keeping my blade from her face, Aurakos can't react as I stop trying for a pin and settle for just punching her in the chest plate. As I somewhat-expected the blows don't do a great deal and my crumbler gauntlet fails to activate, but-.

"I don't know?"

She tries to stamp on my bleeding foot but I crouch slightly so that my left knee prevents her hitting her sword. She stamps on the side of the boot instead, which-.

"Try it!"

She doesn't break the armour, but a super strength stamp's opposite reaction results in her body jerking upward and my reflexive grab with my left hand results in me going with her. We hit the ceiling together and she brings her feet up to try and push off me. I latch my left hand onto her shoulder to prevent her changing angle, keep my right hand's blade pointing at her face and bend my left leg back-

DRHHHHHHHHHHHH!

-which causes her sword to drop out. OOOw!

"Canis! Catch it!"

Canis darts forward even as we both fall back towards the cave floor. The sword goes out to the side as Aurakos and I awkwardly wrestle for position, and Canis grabs it and pulls back just before we slam-

HUGGGGGGGGGHHH!

-back onto the ground! I land on my right side and Aurakos tries to break my hold to clamber on top of me.

Ophidian.

But the weight of this armour against the floor is nothing like enough to stop my arm moving and while she's wrenching at my left hand I stab with the blade on my right! She tries to evade but I still manage to slash under her helmet and cut through the flesh of her neck. I retract-

A Sheeda maggot stumbles down the stairs, eyes glowing orange as it's puppeted by my wraith. Not what I asked for, but-.

The maggot collapses, and its bloated stomach undulates and writhes.

-the blade and swing my right arm into the floor. Not a big swing -that just isn't possible from this position- but it's still enough to get me more or less upright while she's awkwardly hanging off me.

Ophidian.

The maggot bursts, and a wraith-possessed Spine Rider flies my way while Canis waves his Mother Box at his newly acquired sword.

Ophidian.

It's not that I can't feel her. There's definitely something there, but I can't feel anything like the level of responsiveness I usually get from her. Nice that she finds the Corps so enthralling…

Without her aid, I try to feel Aurakos's connection to the orange light myself. Depending on her level of remote control, there might not be anything other than the direction which Melmoth is providing her. And it's… Working. I see a cage forcing the orange light to move-.

"Wait." Melmoth's voice sounds uncertain. "What are you?"

Aurakos copies me, bending her knees and swinging her feet against the wall with enough force to knock us into the middle of the room. Not wanting her to land on top of me I kick out with my right leg, hitting the floor and sending us careening-.

She grabs my left gauntlet and yanks, finally separating us. I hit the wall near the stairs, drop, then roll onto my f-feet. She lands.. on her hands and handsprings onto her feet nearer the centre of the room.

Break the Cage.

The light from her forehead shimmers between sigil-yellow and avarice-orange, causing her to stagger and her eyes to unfocus. I could try charging her down and stabbing her, but that risks her desires aligning with Melmoth's desires, which would undermine my work. Interesting that she's still got significant desires in grundy form. Also interesting that this challenge system thing considers my armour's healing potion dispenser to be equivalent to her regeneration; the wound in her neck is gone with only a small amount of grey blood clinging to her where it once was, while my foot is considerably less painful.

"Why do you obey your murderer!? Why do you obey the backstabber who murdered your father!?"

Who do you Want to Kill?

"Heroic resolve never ceases to be tiresome."

Aurakos jerks as her sigil glows brilliant-white, the light-

Wraith, now.

Yes, Master.

-shining from her eyes, presumably a sign of Melmoth asserting full control. But as the wraith-possessed Spine Rider lunges for Aurakos's neck, my environmental shield re-engages because apparently she can't use her New God powers while like this.

Something's happening with her body, her armour shuddering in response to forces I can't see. But that doesn't matter, because my power rings are working again. I form a small construct crumble gauntlet, duke it under her helmet and push it in the direction of Melmoth's sigil.

The lights from her head go out, and-.

The armour covering her right arm explodes as the limb within expands to grotesque proportions! The skin has torn in several places, grey blood dripping through the tears and muscles visible beneath! The limb is about eight times its former thickness and-.

The rest of her body is doing the same, armour failing under the internal pressure as whatever Melmoth just did causes her to grow. If I'm going to.. preserve her, I need to stop this. With the armour gone there isn't anything to stop my ring-based abilities, so-.

A construct-claw grabs her helmet, severs the straps holding it on her head and pulls it off. The enslaved Spine Rider takes that as its cue to dart in, dodging her expanding shoulders to stab her in the swelling neck.

"Wraith, cut her brain's connection to the rest of her body."

Two dozen strands of orange light connect me to her grotesque and mostly naked body as I try feeling the magics being applied to her and feed on them.

"Master, I do not know that I can."

"Do your best. Canis, if you can help, do so."

"Cutting off her arms-."

"Canis."

"We heal back mundane injuries. Though I suppose her current.. state may impact that."

I remove my spell eater and attach it to Aurakos with a construct necklace.

"Let's not do anything we can't repair. I meant New God abilities."

"Are you.. giving her to me? I did not think-."

"Canis, less… Less Apokolips. Alright? We're trying to help her."

"Then we should destroy her. Being twisted into something other than what we are is a most supreme torture for a New God." He comes a little closer, looking at the twitching abomination before us with… Actual distaste rather than the fascination he usually shows in situations like this. "I think that is what New Genesis would do."

"If she wants to destroy herself once she's back in her right mind, she can. First, we try and help her."

Last edited:
"Then we should destroy her. Being twisted into something other than what we are is a most supreme torture for a New God." He comes a little closer, looking her the twitching abomination before us with… Actual distaste rather than the fascination he usually shows in situations like this. "I think that is what New Genesis would do."

WWNGD?

Something Canis has likely never asked himself before.

Maybe remove the -

Nice that she finds the Corps so enthralling…

Careful, she may decide to leave you for someone else, like Ragnar.

Women love a man that likes to fight and has a name that sounds vaguely viking like.

Maybe 'near the center'

"We heal back mundane injuries

New Gods can regrow lost limbs without medical assistance?

looking her the twitching

Maybe 'looking at'

"I think that is what New Genesis would do."

To be fair they probably do that to Apokaliptians and turning an Apokaliptian into something that isn't an Apokaliptian is probably one of the most noble things you could do.

Tamaran doesn't have a death god, or probably even an afterlife, so it would make sense for him to do it, and I bet the Tamaraneans would be willing to let him do it, seeing as he basically freed them and killed their enemies.

He can certainly offer more to a race like Tamaraneans than he can offer to humans, seeing as they absorb sunlight for their powers.

X'hal doesn't seem to interact with or do anything for the Tamaraneans so they may be interested in a god that does interact with them and do things for them, and they can also potentially get an afterlife to go to after they die.

Maybe 'if I can'

Good news for your SI.

In the part 5 chapter of Deadly dealings of It's an Unliving the SI in it now has what will most likely be a worse relationship with his version of Melinoe than your SI and his version of Melinoe, and it all happened a few minutes after meeting her.

edit:Just read the part 6 that was released an hour ago and I may have been wrong.

Last edited:
"Wait." Melmoth's voice sounds uncertain. "What are you?"
It's complicated.
Who do you Want to Kill?
Hype!
But as the wraith-possessed Spine Rider lunges for Aurakos's neck, my environmental shield re-engages because apparently she can't use her New God powers while like this.
That's fortunate. You should take out one of your rings, just in case.
I try feeling the magics being applied to her and feed on them.
Orange italics text is fully acting as OL's equivalent of Godspeech, apparently.
"I think that is what New Genesis would do."
XD Canis is trying his best.
"If she wants to destroy herself once she's back in her right mind, she can. First, we try and help her."
Because that's what heroes do.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back