1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

To Last Time Itself {Faction/Empire Quest}

Discussion in 'Questing' started by ReinZero, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Adyen

Adyen Experienced.

What about a more advanced form? Like, being able to predict/identify the type of spell about to be cast and the general general ability to counter it?

Something like:
    Magic Sensitivity (Aether)- Being sensitive to all magic, the character has the ability to locate and identify any spells being cast/used, and the ability to 'prevent' that magic from materializing while in casting if within line of sight by forcing Aether into the spell before the actual effect happens.

2. ReinZero

ReinZero QQ voters, geniuses at opposing their own goals.

Countering before a spell is casted isn't possible with magic. However, countering it the moment it's casted, is. It isn't a Lineage exclusive thing either, just some make it easier to obtain (it is not easy/simple). It isn't really possible to cancel/counter a self-target spell though. (Note: These sort of things did come up before on a prior iteration.)

It isn't that/as effective against non-direct applied magics however, but does work well still against them.

Generally speaking, most/more powerful things are made from various lesser 'components' being used in tandem/together. The initial/core aspect of a Lineage is what it develops from, if not around. Its development is affected by how one fights, uses things, etc. The three examples reflect this.

3. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

Sometimes referred to as “the Dragon’s Claw,” this Charm permits a Dragon-Blood to fire a bolt of elemental energy appropriate to his aspect from his hand toward a target. The bolt is targeted with (Dexterity + Athletics) or (Dexterity + Archery), whichever is preferred, with an Accuracy bonus equal to the Dragon-Blood’s Essence and a range of (Essence x 20) yards.

The bolt inflicts 2L per mote spent up to a maximum number of motes equal to the Dragon-Blood’s Stamina. The bolt also has an elemental aspect and triggers the following elemental effects: Air buffets the target, subtracting two dice from her next action. Earth triggers a tremor beneath the target’s feet, forcing her player to roll (Dexterity + Athletics), difficulty 4, to keep the character from falling. Fire sets the target ablaze for a single action (+4L to the attacker’s damage pool).

Water fills the target’s lungs with seawater, adding three ticks before her next action due to violent coughing. Wood exposes the target to a plant toxin, requiring a reflexive (Stamina + Resistance) roll, with a difficulty equal to (the Dragon-Blood’s Essence), to avoid suffering a -1 penalty on all actions for the remainder of the scene.

Multiple Dragon-Bloods who know this Charm can combine their powers to generate a bolt of exceptional power. One Exalt (usually the one with the best attack pool or the one with the highest Stamina rating) must serve as the focus, with his (Dexterity + [Athletics or Archery]) used to determine the base attack pool.

Additionally, the Stamina of the focus determines the maximum number of motes that each participant can spend, with the total number of motes spent determining the base damage pool. In other words, if the focus has a Stamina of 4, then no participant can expend more than four motes to fuel the bolt. The Accuracy bonus of the attack is based on the Essence of the focus but gains a +1 bonus per additional participant. The range of the attack is equal to (the combined Essence of all participants x 20) yards. Finally, the elemental side effects of each separate aspect who aids in this Charm are inflicted upon the target.

If multiple Dragon-Blooded of the same aspect aid in this Charm, however, their special elemental effect is applied only once. Therefore, if an Earth Aspect, two Fire Aspects and a Water Aspect combine to fi re a single bolt, the player of the target—if successfully hit—must roll to avoid falling and will be delayed an additional three ticks before his next action due to the seawater, but only four dice are added to the damage pool due to fire damage, rather than eight. Regardless of the specific elemental version learned, this Charm is always considered to be an Air-aspected Charm for purposes of determining whether the one-mote surcharge for out-of-aspect Charms applies, and Dragon-Blooded can only learn the version associated with their aspects.

Additional purchases of this Charm enable evocation of elements other than the Terrestrial's aspect, but each activation can only express one known element. The bolt may also be aimed with Thrown. Characters can always enhance a bolt's accuracy with Lore Excellencies (or Athletics Excellencies, if using that Ability). If using Archery or Thrown, the character can enhance it as normal for an attack using the Ability and may place Elemental Bolt Attack in a Combo with Charms of that Ability. The accuracy bonus for Cooperative use of the Charm does not count against Charm dice bonus limits; the only limit is the number of Dragon-Blooded who may be gathered together to unleash the fury of the elements. Any special character can contribute to a Cooperative activation, even heroes and relays.

4. Kravenmato

Kravenmato Getting sticky.

Adyen, you are right. I forgot 5 points :-[
    Now it should be alright.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  5. Adyen

Adyen Experienced.

So if I'm reading it right, Linage would basically be the 'core' concept that represents our family's powers?

And since we're not of Royal Blood, it can't be of 'Royal' class, correct?

Ok, so here's my attempt number 3! If this doesn't work, then I'm just having trouble understanding how this system work and I'll just go to sleep and let someone else try instead. :(

Magic Sensitivity (True): A strong sensitivity of magic allows for a strong ability to detect any magic being used or active in an area close to the character. The character can do the following:
    -Aether Snap: Within line of sight, the character can near instantaneously counter any spells cast from a caster of the same strength as the character (regardless of element and type), and of a rank stronger if given enough time.

6. mishie

mishie Experienced.

Current plan looks alright, and I'm cool with putting m 10 bonus points into lineage.

7. ReinZero

Not your family's per say. Lineages vary, that's why they're classified broadly by purity instead. More notable cases are more consistent thematically (ie. A Clan that has Lineages with a theme of 'swords'.)

Reflecting a particular family or bloodline takes significantly more effort to do and is fairly/relatively hard to pull off. I will note, OOCly, there is one notable case that stands out... I'll confirm OOCly if you find out IC.

You'd need High Standing to have it as an option if you went with Samurai or Clan, with differing point cost(s).

I should reiterate since it wasn't clear, apparently.

1) Only Mixed Lineages and (Diluted) Pure Lineages can have certain Personal/Magic Skills as part of their raw composition.
    2) Pure Lineages, otherwise, never share the same effect, at least directly, that a field of magic covers.
    3) Lineages in general can affect Affinity, Pure Lineages have even more varied possible Affinities when it affects it. Royalty quality Pure Lineages have... a bit different.
    ---3A) Lineage affected irregular Affinities (like Moonlight) function far better than if someone without a Lineage with a irregular Affinity in all cases. In some cases, the impact of a lack of a Lineage is very noticeable for that Affinity (like Moonlight).
    4) Pure Lineages (all of them, including Diluted ones) basically have expanded options and free benefits. It's sort of like how Monsters have neat benefits over normal Humans.
    ---4A) Royalty quality Pure Lineages can be borderline downright unfair. The listed example is one such case. After all, that's merely only the initial/core aspect.

It's valid as a direct derivation from using Ritualism. As a Lineage, not on the effective scale you're looking for/wanting, that and certain conditions aren't present/possible to achieve to allow for it. Theoretically yes it is possible for a Lineage however.

8. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

Hmm...
    Oh well, here are several pics for you gaiz to choose from, either Far-Eastern or North-Western.

[img width=468 height=600]http://th03.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2010/111/b/0/Commission__Aster_by_mazjojo.jpg[/img]
    [img width=424 height=600]http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/202/9/1/Comm__Black_Steel_Kurogane_by_mazjojo.jpg[/img]

Eh, these two would've been interesting to see...either as MC or MC siblings/friends/friendly rivals.

9. ReinZero

It's not that bad, your want is perfectly viable to pursue.... Just not as a Lineage.

That can be arranged. Have I mentioned before that I haven't gotten the section up for childhood friends up yet? (I forgot in between everything today.) "Meh, whatever." I'll just fold the childhood bit under/into part of Connections (under Household).

Alchemical Knight / Witch Knight / Light Knight family (ie. just parents and children, not Clan-ish) Relations - 15 Points (I'm rewording this in the Edit-in on the Household section.)

And also likewise for a Group of Diviners (req. Diviners ofc.)

10. backgroundnoise

backgroundnoise "What the fuck penis?! I trusted you!"

[x] Small Witch School (15)
    [x] Small Alchemist School (15)
    [x] 6x Small Magical Training Schools (one for each element; 60)
    [x] Medium Basic Magical School (Healing; 5)
    [x] Medium Basic Magical School (Magical Theory; 5)
    [x] Medium Basic Weapon's School (Katana; 5)
    [x] Small Magical Training School (Healing; 10)
    [x] Small Magical Training School (Magical Theory; 10)
    [x] Small Basic Weapon's School (bow and arrow; 1)
    [x] Small Weapon's Training School (Katana; 5)
    [x] Small Weapon's Training School (bow and arrow; 5)
    [x] 2x Small Basic Education Schools (10)

[x] 3x Large Guild Halls (15)
    [x] 14x Small Guild Halls (14)
    [x] Minor Trade Hub (20)

[x] Tribe/Clan of Wolves (Ice;15)

Total: 210 (100 + 75 + 5 + 30)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your Mother is... [x] a Witch Knight, of whom seems to a bit… too doting? (15 Points)

[x] Ninja Maid (30)
    [x] Combat Butler (5)
    [x] Combat Maid (5)

[x] One (Ninja Maid; 0)

Your Teacher... [x] is a Diviner. (0)

[x] Wolf (Ice; 10 - 5 = 5)

Sponsored
    -[x] A group of Diviners (15)

Connections
    -[x] Ties with Merchants in a neighboring nation (10)
    --[x] Relations with a family of Diviners (5)
    ---[x] Relations with a Family of Lesser Knights (20 Points)

Total: 105 (100 + 5)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[x] Diviner Combat Style (20)

[x] Charisma (15)
    [x] Charming (10)
    [x] Instinct (5 x 2 = 10)

-[x] Pure Lineage (Fudai; 50 + 5)

Total: 110 (100 + 5 + 5)

11. backgroundnoise

backgroundnoise "What the fuck penis?! I trusted you!"

May I also suggest that no matter what we do that we dump and excess points into Lineage? Believe me when I say that they can be a literal lifesaver.

12. Wing101

Wing101 Versed in the lewd.

Hey question is cavalry or horseback riding possible for a Weapon school?

13. ReinZero

Yes, it is. Point-wise there's no difference.

Outside of Point-wise, yes, it would be on the higher end of Build & Upkeep costs. That's aside from other obvious costs, but then again, it is practical. One (lower class) of Knights does make use of mounts to offset mobility issues... and movement.

14. Serous

Serous Your friendly neighbourhood witch

[X] A tribe/clan of...
    ---

Kitsune (20 Points)

---

Elementals (Water; 30 Points)

[X] A Minor Trade Hub (20 Points; Can only take once)
    ---[1] Basic Education School (Medium 10 Points)
    ---[4] Basic Magic School (Healing, Fire, Water, Air; Small 1 Points=4)
    ---[3] Basic Weapons School (Spears, Swords, Bows; Small 1 Points=3)
    ---[1] Training School -Magic Type- (Rituals; Small 10 Points)
    ---[1] Training School -Siege Type (Catapults)- (Small 5 Points)
    ---[1] Small Guild Hall (1 Point for 3)
    ---[2] Medium Guild Hall (1 Point for 1)
    ---[1] Large Guild Hall (5 Points)
    [1] Witch School (Medium 25 Points)
    [1] Alchemist School (Medium 25 Points)
    [1] Far Eastern Temple (Medium 15 Points)

Mother:
    [X] A Shinobi from a minor Clan whom married in due Clan circumstances. The services of her Clan is rather limited due to it, but still valuable. (Will have to earn Heir status to family; 25 Points)

Household Staff
    [X] Staff Members (At least 3; 5 minimum if Mother is Far Eastern; Talented and Genius can only be taken once per category.)
    ---[3] Normal Butler (0 Points)
    ---[3] Normal Maid (0 Points)
    ---[2] Combat Maid (average 10 Points)
    ---[1] Shinobi Ninja Maid (30 Points, One only)
    [X] Staff Assigned under you
    ---[X] One.

Your Teacher... (Required, pick 1 only)
    [X] Is an acquaintance of your Mother... from her younger days. (Clan only; 0 Points)

Monsters Pets (Yours) (Cost halved if Family has the same tribe/Clan as well, rounded up (aka 5 = 3); Can pick any number and times)
    ---[2] Fox Kitsune (15 Points)
    ---[2] Water Elemental(20 Points)

CG:

[X] Samurai Combat Style (15 Points)
    [1] Charisma (First Time 15 Points)
    [1] Charming (First Time 10 Points)
    [2] Instinct ( Second Time 10 Points.)
    [X] Pure Lineage (Fudai) - Closest to 'Royalty', though one could consider one with such qualified. It is fairly common for those with one to have one parent, or one side of their family be from/of Royalty. (50 Points Minimum)

I'll throw my 5 bonus points into Lineage.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  15. ReinZero

Erm... Uhm guys, the cost for first /second /etc. Is counted separately. I am referring to the bit on [2] Instinct.

16. Wing101

Kinglua is paying for the second intinct.

17. ReinZero

Please note it properly then, since otherwise it'd seem more as if the first instance is being cover instead of the second.

18. ReinZero

Currently seems to be a tie. So I'll be holding off on it.

I will note however, when closing the votes, that spare, remaining points leftover will be allowed to things that had been voted on but didn't make/have a majority. Likewise if the winning combination of voted on things exceeds the point total (with all adjustments considered), I will adjust for the next closest votes stuff.

19. ReinZero

Closing voting in 12 hours (barring discussions). Currently a tie over Mother (and only 'major' tie).

I should note that all Clan references refer to 'powerful Clan'. Though well, that's my mistake so I'll just make do. (Only if tie persists, will I use that to tie-break.)

20. Redon

Redon the baka nerbie

Just to break the tie.

[X] A Samurai from a small family of no renown, though with potential for greatness... or so your Father thinks. (25 Points)

21. Wing101

Please use your 5 points even if it's just in Lineage.

22. ReinZero

I'll just note that... if you guys had discussed/elaborated over the plans that I would have given more free points out for that. Which... I did note. Oh well. *goes compile votes/etc.* Posting a tally afterwards.

I am still accepting ideas/etc. if people want to pitch something for the Lineage still. Otherwise I'm defaulting to backgroundnoise's proposed one (pitched over/on steam). His proposal/idea/want is more or less a weaker (due purity differences) Ice based variation of the example that I posted as an example for Royalty grade Pure Lineage.

23. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

So Lineage is like bloodlines from Naruto series? Shall I design a doujutsu based Lineage? :p

24. ReinZero

(Pure) Lineages don't result in same/identical things between different members of a family and their descendants. Though, it is possible with a lot of work and effort, to narrow it down to a particular theme or the like. Likewise with similarities of any sort.

(Mixed) Lineages are easier to result in similar things, though unlike Pure Lineages, having same/identical things is far more likely. However, those with a Mixed Lineage that have sufficient personal power (and their spouse) before having children, can result in their children having a Pure Lineage instead if it passes the range covered by Mixed Lineages.

25. ReinZero

Winning Vote Tally. (Working on Update tomorrow, 11:47 PM over here atm... starting on update in 8~12 hours.)

Technically the Kitsune/Elemental part under Pets only passed because there was no other 'majority' spending budgeting on it. The Elemental bit under Pets was reduced to 1 due to the tied vote for 'Connection [Merchants in other Nation]'. If you guys want to, feel free to try to get anything else that -had- at least 1 vote under Pets or Connections, to have 3 votes.

Anyone with Extra Points can still vote in anything they want that they have points for... (barring stuff that are 1 choice only.) Likewise for reassigning their EP votes.

Also still need Name (for both Family and the PC) and Appearance (for PC). Names for Pets are fine too if one wants (or nicknames). I'll pick names for Pets if no names/nicknames are suggested.

[X] A tribe/clan of...
    ---[X] Kitsune (20 Points)
    ---[X] Elementals (Water; 30 Points)

[X] A Minor Trade Hub (20 Points; Can only take once)
    ---[1] Basic Education School (Medium 10 Points)
    ---[4] Basic Magic School (Healing, Fire, Water, Air; Small 1 Points=4)
    ---[3] Basic Weapons School (Spears, Swords, Bows; Small 1 Points=3)
    ---[1] Basic Weapon's School (Katana; 1) (Backgroundnoise)
    ---[1] Small Magical Training School (Healing; 10) (Backgroundnoise)
    ---[1] Small Magical Training School (Magical Theory; 10) (Backgroundnoise)
    ---[1] Small Weapon's Training School (Katana; 5) (Backgroundnoise)
    ---[1] Small Weapon's Training School (Bows; 5) (Backgroundnoise)
    ---[1] Training School -Magic Type- (Rituals; Small 10 Points)
    ---[1] Training School -Siege Type (Catapults)- (Small 5 Points)
    ---[5] Small Guild Hall (1 Point for 3, 2nd-5th Instances covered by Backgroundnoise)
    ---[2] Large Guild Hall (5 Points, 2nd one by Backgroundnoise)
    [1] Witch School (Medium 25 Points)
    [1] Alchemist School (Medium 25 Points)
    [1] Far Eastern Temple (Medium 15 Points)

Mother:
    [X] A Samurai from a small family of no renown, though with potential for greatness... or so your Father thinks. (25 Points)

Household Staff
    [X] Staff Members (At least 3; 5 minimum if Mother is Far Eastern; Talented and Genius can only be taken once per category.)
    ---[2] Normal Butler (0 Points)
    ---[1] Normal Maid (0 Points)
    ---[1] Combat Butler (Average 5 Points) (Backgroundnoise)
    ---[2] Combat Maid (Average 10 Points)
    ---[1] Shinobi Ninja Maid (30 Points, One only)
    [X] Staff Assigned under you
    ---[X] One. (Ninja Maid)

Your Teacher... (Required, pick 1 only)
    [X] Is an acquaintance of your Mother... from her younger days. (Clan only; 0 Points)

Monsters Pets (Yours) (Cost halved if Family has the same tribe/Clan as well, rounded up (aka 5 = 3); Can pick any number and times)
    ---[2] Fox Kitsune (15 Points)
    ---[1] Water Elemental(10 Points)

Connections
    ---[1] Connection [Mechants in other Nation] (10)

CG:

[X] Samurai Combat Style (15 Points)
    [2] Charisma (First Time 15 Points, Second Time Paid by Adyen & Wing101)
    [1] Charming (First Time 10 Points)
    [2] Instinct (First Time 5 Points, Second Time Paid by Kinglugia)
    [X] Pure Lineage (Fudai) - Closest to 'Royalty', though one could consider one with such qualified. It is fairly common for those with one to have one parent, or one side of their family be from/of Royalty. (50 Points Minimum + 25 Points Additional from Backgroundnoise/Serous/Kinglugia)

26. EagleBlue

EagleBlue Getting sticky.

Adding to the winning vote with my points.

Household Assets (Can take multiple times.)

---[ ] Wolves (Fire)
    [X] Connections
    ---[X] Relations with a (Minor) Samurai Clan (15 Points)
    ---[X] Relations with a family of Diviners (just both parents + their child/children, not Clan-ish; With Diviners 5 Points, Without Diviners 10 Points)

27. Truthswraith

Truthswraith Making the rounds.

Name wise personally I'll just throw out Richard Morcant. Because In my sleep depraved state my first thought when I think knight is Richard.

Lineage wise I had an idea about one where the idea is to supercharge one magic skill by burning another skills magic strength. Letting him pump an extreme amount of raw power into his attacks but in exchange dropping his skill in other magic ranks while in use. Another idea is one that lets him store his natural healing or magic regeneration into a secondary pool he can call on to rapidly heal or regenerate stamina. Letting him rapidly heal himself as if he a week of bed rest in battle.

28. Wing101

I don't know how to search good pictures but here are my idea for names for the PC, family and Pets. Also EagleBlue why did you remove what you spent your bonus points on? We need as we could.

PC Name: Ken Horizon
    Fathers Name: Percival Horizon
    Mother's Name: Rei Horizon/ Formerly Hajime Rei

Ninja Maid Name: Satsuki Mari
    Pet Names:
    Water Elemental: Anaklusmos
    Kitsune Twins: Sakura and Ume

29. ReinZero

Should I note that trustwraith truthswrath also has the same EP count as EagleBlue BagleBlue?

I also have him, or his zombie self on steam atm (Bagle that is). I am presently on on steam, skype, and QQ's irc channel if people need to ask things... that they didn't think to do previously.

Lineage idea #1) Not valid as is in the way, but technically speaking, there is something so... technically speaking 'yes'. It is not directly valid for a Fudai grade Pure Lineage, a lesser one however, yes. It is perfectly possible to pick it up as part of a Fudai grade one however.
    Lineage idea #2) This is perfectly valid, though like the 1st idea, it isn't really 'sufficient' to warrant as directly of a Fudai grade Pure Lineage. I should also note that having Healing as an Affinity (not Artificial) also effectively gives a pool specifically for Healing.

---

On the names, they're all fine/acceptable. I just find the Water Elemental's one rather... strange, but it's fine.

And Wing101, a description is fine too if you can't find a pic you think is fine.

30. EagleBlue

EagleBlue Getting sticky.

You have the same point count as me mate. Better use it if you like.
    It's my decision not to use my points.