1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Twisted Pinwheel

Discussion in 'Questing' started by Chibi-Reaper, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Candesce

Candesce Experienced.

Push this far enough, and we could go interesting places. Mio can already form chakra coils outside of flesh; could she figure out how to carry out more basic functions that way?

Ascension to "pure chakra entity" sounds fun.

GiftofLove likes this.
  2. Hyp3rB14d3

Hyp3rB14d3 Violence!

It also sounds like end-game stuff that isn't likely to appear in-quest for years.

Winged One likes this.
  3. Rider of Nod

Rider of Nod Peace. Through. Power.

You do know they seal those types of things and turn them into chakra batteries right?

4. Sirrocco

Sirrocco Tiny but ambitious squid

That's *a* difference.

It's probable that we'll find some other useful tricks out of being able to solidify our chakra. MIO is someone who fiddles with things. Fiddling with the demon arm will get us whatever is in the demon arm. Fiddling with the ability to make dense chakra is likely to have its own implications.

Bare minimum? Chakra can be converted to elemental energy. A block of dense chakra hanging off our arm-stub and following our will? I bet we could turn that into a heck of an omega strike, with a bit of study. "Well, yeah, it was an arm just a moment ago. Now it's a *fireball*." As last resorts go, sudden overwhelming force with a recovery cost of "rest so you can rebuild your arm" is not terrible. Of course, once we've figured out how to make an *arm* that's a dense chakra construct, nothing really stops us from building other dense chakra constructs around ourselves (other than the prodigious quantities of chakra that it would take, and the control necessary to hold it all there).

Now, I'm sure there's some interesting stuff down the demon tree, too. I'd suspect, though, that it's going to be less about Awesome Mastery of the Self, and more about the Price of Power. On the one side, that means we'll be able to spend the time and focus that we would have spent on learning Dense Chakra instead on learning some other ninja thing. On the other side, that means that we've let some demonthing infect us.

Admittedly, a big part of my preference for Chakra Arm comes from being a bit of a control freak. MIO is awesome. I don't want to let anything else into her head.

Candesce, macdjord and GiftofLove like this.
  5. Hyp3rB14d3

Hyp3rB14d3 Violence!

It's an arm transplant, not a head transplant. Unless that demon has brains in its arm, I'm pretty sure Mio is safe

...Is what I would like to say, but magic mind-implanting tattoos exist in setting. On the stump that used to have the other hand attached to it, I've already made my position known on the chakra arm. There's a reason I'm voting skeleton arm instead.

Ψυχή and Sirrocco like this.
  6. The Nobody

The Nobody Why does this line say strange things? Gone for Good

No less fun because of that.

And I would have switched to the skeleton arm, but there's, what, five others who would? I'd rather go for something that has a chance of not getting the sealed arm.

Unless Chibi confirms that it belonged to an "angel" or another goody-two-shoes don't-want-you-in-Makai. Then I'm switching in a snap.

7. Alexander

Alexander That is not dead which can eternal lie

[X] Take. Plenty of arms about, attached to other things.
    - [X] The bound corpse, chained and marked with ancient and crumbling sealing wards, even now seems to be reaching out from its still and permanent repose. One arm outstretched... the only portion that has not yet rotten away, but even so as black as ink or pitch and seeming like stone, with thin cracks...

1986ctcel, anechoic and CrossyCross like this.
  8. EvaUnit01

EvaUnit01 The man who stands at the top of AAWWEESSOOOMEEE

I would just like to observe that even though it's very close (and increasingly close, even), Demon Arm appears to have beaten Chakra Arm pretty consistently every time the votes have been tallied.

9. Vox De Harlequin

Vox De Harlequin Self-Taught Black Magic Initiate

I think we'll find that recent history has demonstrated that just because something wins a vote doesn't mean it's particularly beneficial.

Candesce and GiftofLove like this.
  10. The Nobody

The Nobody Why does this line say strange things? Gone for Good

The I-told-you-so's are best served after the... Uh, relevant parties get served.

11. delwgun

delwgun I trust you know where the happy button is?

[x] Make. You have everything you need, probably.
    - [x] What you need to do is to make the chakra denser. Make it physical. Bijuu do it, why can't... you might be a little insane. But that doesn't mean it won't work.

12. Splodge

Splodge Not too sore, are you?

- [x] What you need to do is to make the chakra denser. Make it physical. Bijuu do it, why can't... you might be a little insane. But that doesn't mean it won't work.

13. Ψυχή

Ψυχή A flap of my wings....!

That's just timing though, EVA — for better or worse CX

14. FantasyFan

FantasyFan Well worn.

Vote Tally : Twisted Pinwheel | Page 62 | Questionable Questing
    ##### NetTally 1.9.2

- [X] The bound corpse, chained and marked with ancient and crumbling sealing wards, even now seems to be reaching out from its still and permanent repose. One arm outstretched... the only portion that has not yet rotten away, but even so as black as ink or pitch and seeming like stone, with thin cracks...
    No. of Votes: 36

No. of Votes: 36

[X] Make. You have everything you need, probably.
    - [X] About all there is around here seems to be stone and dead trees. Can't be that hard to put a prosthetic together, right? Straight bit, bendy bit, fiddly gripping bits...
    No. of Votes: 2

- [X] The other thing that's here in abundance? Skeletons. Dusty, broken, but only sometimes walking around, but as a plus they generally have the right anatomy, less flesh.
    No. of Votes: 2

- [X] The spider that walks in the shape of a woman makes you shudder when she calls, and when she sings, to lure her prey nearer and nearer... until it is bound up in thread it does not and cannot see. She takes her time in eating them, when entrapped, and shares it bountifully out among lesser spiders. She has many arms to spare, though you doubt she will be eager to give one away...
    No. of Votes: 1

- [X] The other thing that's here in abundance? Skeletons. Dusty, broken, but only sometimes walking around, but as a plus they generally have the right anatomy, less flesh.
    - [X] What you need to do is to make the chakra denser. Make it physical. Bijuu do it, why can't... you might be a little insane. But that doesn't mean it won't work.
    No. of Votes: 1

Total No. of Voters: 78

Winged One and Snake/Eater like this.
  15. JadeKaiser

JadeKaiser Fae apologist Moderator

Okay, enough with the tallies already. We don't need one every half-page or so, and they are just cluttering up the thread. If people want to know what is winning, it's plenty easy enough to count the votes from the last tally at this point. Most of the time they've just been posted without anyone asking, anyway.

Koled likes this.
  16. Sirrocco

Sirrocco Tiny but ambitious squid

And it's now tied! Come on! someone push us up over the top for Chakra arm!

Snake/Eater likes this.
  17. 1986ctcel

1986ctcel Connoisseur.

Fuck that, vote for the cool bound arm!

18. DuskAtDawn

DuskAtDawn Of the Thousand Faces

...You, uh, do realize the next update could happen anywhere between 5 minutes from now to several months away? Chibi's muse is whimsical and fleeting, from what I can tell.

19. SpaceJelly

SpaceJelly What was I doing again...?

The only thing we know for certain is that for there to be an update, a winner must be decided.

20. 1986ctcel

1986ctcel Connoisseur.

Which is why his habit of leaving the vote open till he updates gets annoying since now a clear winner was gradually reduced to a tie.

GiftofLove likes this.
  21. DuskAtDawn

DuskAtDawn Of the Thousand Faces

22. Splodge

Splodge Not too sore, are you?

Could be worse. After the post where Hinata knocked out Naruto people were still voting nearly two months after the update.

1986ctcel, GiftofLove and Xicree like this.
  23. FantasyFan

FantasyFan Well worn.

24. Winged One

Winged One Not the Simurgh

Fuck it, I hate lacks of updates more than I hate either of the winning votes.

25. anechoic

anechoic they/them/theirs

26. Selias

Selias Well worn.

Is that Tom Green?

EDIT: Nope. Looks like it's from some French comedy show.

27. Threadmarks: Possibly not the worst decision you'll ever make.
    Chibi-Reaper

Chibi-Reaper D-Donations plz?

You need an arm. Need it.

Making it would take time that you don't have, fitted away in between fitful naps, licking blood up off the rocks, scrabbling in the dirt for worms, and running away from Dummy.

You need to take an arm, or something already in the right shape.

The trick is just in finding it.

You don't know how long passes before you find it. It could be anywhere from weeks to months, blurring together in a haze of just managing to survive, as you're forced to bypass options, or are denied them.

The big monsters are often just too big. Even if you could bring one down, their arm would be ungainly and clumsy. Not useless for your purposes, but too much effort for too little result.

The spider woman? That one has plenty of arms to spare, and they're at leas sometimes of close to the right shape and size. Enough that you can grow into them, anyway. But the trouble there is that you doubt she'll hand one over willingly, and venturing through her cratered home... the whole area is a trap comprised of smaller traps which link together to funnel victims toward the ultimate end.

You spent a couple hours observing it from a distance, but then moved on. The spider woman could pass through her own traps in a way that nothing else could, and without that ability the whole place didn't have any openings large enough to pass more than a fist through without starting to accumulate the silken threads that spelled doom.

You might be able to move through. If you had that spider woman's ability. If you could fly. Or if you sent something much bigger through first, to clear a path. With none of those, the only solution that comes to mind is to burn it all, and the resulting conflagration wouldn't be at all useful for finding a suitable replacement arm.

You considered the amanojaku for a time.

Smaller, oni-like figures. They seem to grow bored easily, and spend any time not trying to sniff you out and eat you in taunting and attempting to trick larger and more dangerous things into fighting each other.

Sometimes it works, which prompts possibilities for the future. But the times it doesnt strike those possibilities clean through. The broken and ruined bodies of amanojaku just translate in your head too easily to broken and ruined bodies of Mio.

It might have been a convenient way to snap up an arm, but considering the monsters around here seem to have no compunctions about eating one another, there's usually very little left. Definitely not a full replacement arm. Since bits are sometimes left behind, it might have been a possible avenue, if you could snatch a corpse before the bigger demons started eating, but....

Then you found the corpse.

-

Chained up and in sealing wards that appear to do nothing, it seems to be exactly what you need. One dinged and slightly battered arm outstretched from a withered and contained corpse.

It looks in good condition. You mean, comparatively. It's just what you need. In a blur of mental stress and fatigue, you put one foot against the corpse's face, grab hold of the wrist with your remaining hand, and pull.

It wrenches off easily, though you belatedly realize that it won't do at all. Not only does it separate below the elbow, it's the wrong arm entire-...

You blink and rub your eyes.

Correct arm now. Ending at the right place despite... yeah, despite that the chained up corpse still has both elbows of its own.

"Well, this idea just went from okay-ish to probably terrible, but all right then." you mutter to yourself.

Then you jam the arm to your partially healed stump.

... You don't even need to do much after that, as though the limb was just waiting for the opportunity. It's excruciatingly painful, but it seems to be driving tendrils back in your flesh every bit as much as you're streaming real and fake chakra coils into it. The pain is joined by a sensation of befuddlement.

Then that's replaced with the urge to go find the nearest thing, and kill it.

"Listen. I am way ahead of you there." you say aloud. "Drop in the bucket, buddy."

The mental pressure redoubles, tendrils of force and will seeming to sink into your brain.

You mentally set them on fire. Which. It... seems to work, which you weren't entirely expecting but at the same time aren't completely surprised by either. Chakra's components are physical and mental energy, right? And you've got, for various reasons, more chakra than average for a passable academy student of your age.

There's a sensation of confusion and outrage demanding your submission and you're pretty sure now that you've grafted some kind of demon world parasite onto yourself. Arm's working like a perfectly normal arm, if colored and with the sheen of volcanic glass, but there's mental contamination.

"Nah." you reply aloud.

And then Dummy crashes down from the sky like a fucking meteor, club first, and your will and the parasites becomes united in the decision to be anywhere else, quickly.

... It takes you a couple of days to give Dummy the slip this time. He's getting persistent.

Now then.

---

[ ] You need to find better sustenance than blood licking and worm sucking.
    [ ] You need to find better shelter than tree branches and nothing.
    [ ] You need to practice using your arm for ninja-ing. Get the kinks out.
    [ ] You need to beat the will behind your new arm into submission, somehow.

28. mc2rpg

mc2rpg Versed in the lewd.

[X] You need to find better sustenance than blood licking and worm sucking

I can't help but feel the arm would be more easily handled with Mio well fed. Not to mention so long as we can get back to Konoha at some point they can probably provide some high quality help for handling a demon arm. It is just a matter of being strong enough to get back.

29. cl20

cl20 I trust you know where the happy button is?

[X] You need to beat the will behind your new arm into submission, somehow.

30. GiftofLove

GiftofLove A Gift From The Heart

Whelp, parasitic demon arm get I guess. Now we have to show it who the true Devil Queen is. MIO!