1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Everything Disgusts Me (DC/SI)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by TotalAbsolutism, Jan 6, 2016.

1. TotalAbsolutism

TotalAbsolutism Magnificent Bastard Moderator

I thought so, at least.
    Accurate.

2. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

I missed the link and don't care enough to look for it. :p

Where is it?

AngelicKnight. and Ack like this.
  3. Magni Imitator

Magni Imitator (Don't Question It)

Yes, it was amusing.

Ack and Jarudazuigu like this.
  4. Izicata

Izicata AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME

I assume that would be basically a less selective version of what happened to the Joker?

Ack likes this.
  5. TotalAbsolutism

Yes. And the Joker wouldn't have survived if he hadn't been so careful about it. The medical constructs were very important for keeping him alive; basically regenerating his cells at the same rate the Puce Light was tearing him apart. Luckily, the SI's Contempt for the idea of becoming a murderer over the Joker, of all people, made the process very energy efficient.

It would be an unpleasant, but very thorough, method of destruction. Possibly the closest you could really come to "Killed Off For Real" in any comic-book setting.

6. theqwopingone

theqwopingone Journeyman rationalist wannabe. Gone for Good

i wonder if he could do the same thing to Hell, all of Hell.

Ack likes this.
  7. TotalAbsolutism

It's on The List.

8. theqwopingone

well it's just that in some versions of the DC multiverse demons were portrayed as something like a "Hell elemental" and being a part of/made from the place they were compelled to act in its best interests, i think Hellblazer did a thing on it.

edit: to clarify, by "compelled" i mostly mean that they are made with the instinct to both like what hell is and to do/want to do/like doing things that help the place, this data seems relavent to interests you seem to have.*cough*Raven*cough*

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    Ack, DariusXXI and Jarudazuigu like this.
  9. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

I think some of the demons there outrank him.

By a lot.

Like Trigon. I don't think rings actually... matter to beings on his level. Maybe, oh, an entire lantern corps, but 1 ring? Unless that ring is a black or white ring it isn't going to help much bar defense.

Also lucifer, who's a straight up cosmic scale reality warper. He's a lazy bastard and oddly enough a better person than micheal(not really saying much there), but I think he would object to his home being destroyed. Just a little.

Good luck with that.

10. Magni Imitator

To be honest, I'm wondering, will what you did to Joker come back to bite you in the ass. Not like it already hasn't, but even more. Like the light finds out causing Villains and them to target you harder or something, or perhaps the Guy who's replaced Joker here eventually becomes him again and targets you, etc... Stuff like that.

Ack, vyor and TotalAbsolutism like this.
  11. TotalAbsolutism

Yes.

But not how anyone expects.

12. dasstan

dasstan :)

Lucifer would be like "LOL later, Hell. I never liked you." Kinda like he was when he handed over the keys to Morpheus.

13. Magni Imitator

Oh, okay. Also, shit, while we might not expect it like you have planned, I've a feeling it's truly going to suck.

Ack, ZipLopz, Winged One and 2 others like this.
  14. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

Still need to deal with the ridiculously powerful fallen angels there. And the regular angels(possibly archangels as well).

There are ways to do it certainly, but they are not easy. At all.

AngelicKnight., Ack and Jarudazuigu like this.
  15. theqwopingone

then turn it off where he is at the time.

Ack likes this.
  16. TJG

TJG Versed in the lewd.

Is it going to be like how some fanfics make him into some weird anti-hero in that he really does break the fourth wall and he acts the way he does to keep the Batman franchise going in the "real world" otherwise the universe disappears as it is forgotten in the "real world"?

Ack likes this.
  17. TotalAbsolutism

... No. That's stupid.

18. Winged One

Winged One Not the Simurgh

Did anyone else see this post in puce?

19. Dark Abstraction

Dark Abstraction Occasional Interloper

Yes

20. AngelicKnight.

AngelicKnight. Lewd demon of negotiable affection

This did is great and I love it, the rebels of the team was a very nice touch, I like your character and it's made me smile as I read it. Thank you Total.
    He's going to wake up as Jack and sue you for what you did to him?

Jarudazuigu, vyor and TotalAbsolutism like this.
  21. TotalAbsolutism

Nah, that'd be daft of him. 'cause, y'know, it'd out him publicly as the Joker. Probably the last thing he wants right now.

22. AngelicKnight.

AngelicKnight. Lewd demon of negotiable affection

Good point.
    *Thinks*

He's going to want to become a hero! I wouldn't expect that... well except I just did do it seems I would expect that. This is a complicated game, the very act of expecting something means it cannot be the right answer.

23. tripcode

tripcode Know what you're doing yet?

How about copying Sinestro by renaming it the Hakena Corps? If he has any modesty that name will still induce some feelings of dissatisfaction, supposing that matters.

Caerwen, Jarudazuigu and dasstan like this.
  24. TotalAbsolutism

That might have some interesting implications for the local Polynesians; the Maori in particular. Not sure if they'd like him or not.

25. Threadmarks: Five
    TotalAbsolutism

When I open my eyes the first thing to hit me is the phantom sensation that has replaced pain. It’s incredibly distracting; which is, admittedly, just as I intended it to be. As soon as I acknowledge the sensation it diminishes greatly; that wasn’t how I’d intended it to function. Which seems to imply I’m probably wearing the ring.

It is so.

Very good, then. Status report?

Agent Puce was incapacitated for approximately seventy-two local hours. Forearms were flayed down to the bone; remainder of body suffered only mild abrasions. Further progress on recovery cannot be completed at this time.

I frown and attempt to sit. There’s a painful noise just at the edge of my hearing; a high-pitched whine of some sort coming from one of the instruments attached to me. It appears that I have been moved to some sort of infirmary. The sound really is irritating. Ring?

It shall be done.

The sounds of various machines silence; along with a good half-dozen other background irritations I was barely aware of. As I start examining my bandaged arms the doors open and Cyborg walks in. He looks relieved to see me sitting up and conscious. Various displays lower down and start to flicker to life as his gaze runs across me.

“Good to see you back with us. That ring of yours made things kinda tricky.” I raise an eyebrow at him and glance down at my hands. Puce light shines out from under the bandages on my left hand. Should probably get it off soon. The ring, that is, not the bandages. Those can come off now. As I start to tear them off Cyborg reaches out in shock. “Hey now, easy! What’re yo-...”

He trails off as I silently finished. My forearms are a hard, muscular mass that looks vaguely chitinous at the moment. The optimised architectures distributed around my body have been pumping out the necessary ingredients for reconstituting my ruined flesh with the minor side effect of making me incredibly hungry. If it weren’t for the drip I’d probably be… oh, wait, no. There it is.

“I’m fine. Just… need a lot of high protein food. Fast.” My arms are shaking. Looks like the ring helped to direct the reconstruction process but it’s still had to cannibalise part of my musculature after clearing out my fat reserves. I’ll need to upgrade further, and soon. Cyborg is giving me a look right now but the equipment is still upping the quality of my drip so that’s nice.

“Kid… what have you done to yourself?” Hm. Not sure how to feel about that. The ring reacts to strong flashes of emotions but I only get the vaguest sensation of what they actually are. No empath, me. But I’m fairly sure he’s not trying to condescend. Cyborg can’t be that much older than me but from his point of view I would be a total newbie.

“Eliminated everything I hated about myself. Not entirely by choice, admittedly. It was already underway when I woke up.” I hold out my arm and poke at the ring. Not taking it off until I’m healthy again. “And you can call me… Huria, I guess. Might end up changing that, but it’s appropriate for now. I am twenty-one, as well. Not really a kid, you know?” The prior look melds into a new one as Cyborg… as Victor spots the obvious parallels. Sympathy, probably. Or at least empathy.

“The ring has a lot of data on alien biologies. It took everything that was compatible with me still being… ‘human’... and then rebuilt me based on that.” Not entirely sure of the details. My skin’s probably equivalent to mid-range body armour. Bones would be as close to indestructible as you could get in non-magical materials. Excluding metamaterials. All senses increased to the maximum limit based on brain architecture and space available. And still technically human.

“I see.” His expression tells me that he doesn’t, not really. Victor Stone isn’t stupid, especially not with the Reach-tech built into him, but he’s not a biology major. Trying to explain the intricate details of my altered physiology would be pointless even if I could. Although maybe that stuff in him could help translate a bit. It really is quite nice. If it weren’t for my personal issues around cybertech I’d be looking into it myself.

“I realise it’s a bit…” Then I stop, and I really look at the situation. Cyborg… Victor’s origin is very similar to my own, in a way. If you break it down to the barebones. He’s almost certainly seeing himself in me right now. “Okay. I’ll admit it’s fucked up, and I suspect that I’ll be speaking with my assigned therapist about it a bit. However, I feel much better than I have in a long time.”

That’s not a lie, either. Maybe it’s to do with the alterations properly balancing my brain chemistry or maybe it’s because of where I am but I really do feel pretty good. Victor gives me a long look that I can’t decipher and then sighs.

“Alright. In that case, I think it’s time for a good team bonding exercise! C’mon.” My stomach loudly protested any course of action except eating at that moment. “We can take care of that too.” As I try to stand I find I need to extend an environment shield around myself and enhance it a bit so I can use it as an assisted movement device. My current muscle mass is having trouble supporting my weight.

“Need a hand?” He doesn’t move to help me automatically, which I appreciate. I shake my head and he lets me stumble along with him for about as long as it takes me to remember that I can fly. A dash of contempt for my infirmity gets me off the ground and trailing after him. “Good timing for you, actually. Just got in our last member today.”

Huh. We’ve got the entire Titans roster plus him. Superboy? Was I out long enough for them to hit up Cadmus, then? I can imagine that going quite differently with Raven and Starfire. Particularly the former. Kinda hard to contain someone who can phase through walls. Especially since she’d be a complete unknown to them. Hopefully they didn’t get any of Starfire’s specs, though. Incorporating Tamaranean physiology into the Genomorphs could be troublesome.

We walk and float through the corridors and into an elevator. To my surprise it heads up. I know the personal rooms are all underground, but the original Titans Tower was not. Is it a fake or in use? The tour had the infirmary, labs, evidence room, gym and all that jazz still built underground as well.

The doors open to reveal a beautiful view of what I can only assume is… what was it called, Jump City? I can see a bridge in the background and the sky looks beautiful. Just shy of midday, I’d say. This area definitely looks like a briefing room. I suppose there’s no reason to not have it be in the actual tower even if the thing as a whole is a red herring.

… wait, no. This will be the public meeting room. Duh. Making the new guy feel welcome. I do my best to smile as we move out of the elevator and I catch a glimpse of… huh. Not what I was expecting.

M’gann M’orzz is early. That doesn’t bode well. Or does it? I need to find a reason to point the team at Cadmus as soon as possible. Not just for Superboy’s sake. There’s stuff there that I need. Her uncle isn’t here, and she’s nattering away at the team. Beast Boy… yeah, that’s probably a crush. Wally is Wally. Robin and Aqualad are their usual selves too but Starfire actually seems to be enthused to be interacting with another alien girl.

I shift my gaze to the side and notice that Raven is off to one side watching the rest. Of course she is. She notices me first and we lock eyes for a few moments until an annoying voice cuts across our quiet moment.

“Oh yeah. And there’s this guy too, I guess.” Ah. Wally. I sigh and lower myself to the ground; supporting my movements with the ring as I walk to the others. “This is Agent Puce. He’s a Puce Lantern.” And then he smirks at me. Okay. I don’t remember him being this much of a dick in the show but, then again, he was younger. So on the one hand I would have expected him to mature a bit. On the other hand…

Warning! Mental intrusion detected!

I turn to glare at the still-smiling M’gann as she floats over. Oh really? That does it. Ring? New protocol! In response to any attempt at mental intrusion induce in me the sensation of being burned alive, drowned and electrocuted. Begin.

Two things happen. My entire body starts to tingle as my nerves try to parse the sensations. It doesn’t hurt me, it just feels weird. As for M’gann; her eyes widen, her skin pales and she starts to scream. The sensations end shortly after.

There’s an immediate surge of confusion and concern. I see Raven watching me in horror; not endearing myself to her, am I? And then Wally rushes up to me and grabs me by the collar. I relax; not strengthening the environmental shield and allowing him to take hold of me.

What did you do to her!” I give him one of my best Looks and then push him off me. It’s hard; I need the ring-assist to make him stumble back. Just a few days ago I was stronger than him. Need food soon. M’gann has fallen back into a seated position and is staring at me in horror while Beast Boy tries to comfort her. He looks pretty distraught; I feel worse about that than anything.

“She tried to read my mind, and I applied the appropriate countermeasures. Excuse me.” I shoulder past him and approach M’gann. She doesn’t try to get away but she does flinch as I fix my gaze on her. There’s a quiet hum at the edge of my hearing that’s coming from Cyborg. He’s powered up something but is just watching us for now.

“I would appreciate it if you didn’t attempt to invade my mind without permission. Perhaps it was just instinctual and, if so, I apologise for my reaction. That said; my thoughts are my own. Alright?” She nods weakly and I offer my hand to her. M’gann doesn’t take it; instead she lets Beast Boy help her up.

Hell no! What is your problem, man? She was just being friendly and you attacked her!” And Wally’s on my case again. I’ve been wearing the ring for an extended period so perhaps my judgement is slightly compromised. But I’m not going to let people in my head just like that.

“Friendly or not she isn’t entitled to know what I am thinking.” Beast Boy is still trying to soothe M’gann but I can catch a pensive look on Robin’s face. Starfire doesn’t seem to know what to think.

“What, you trying to hide something?” … alright. That does it. I finally turn to face Kid Flash with my most hateful expression on. Artemis was an unknown who he felt was replacing his friend so he was somewhat hostile to her. I’m even more unknown and just assaulted a cute girl. So I understand his antagonism. Doesn’t mean I’m going to put up with it.

“Do we have a problem, Kid Flash? Because this issue you have with me seems a bit more personal.” I’d genuinely like to know, as well. This can’t just be because of Speedy deciding he didn’t want to play with the rest of them.

“Yeah, we have a problem. You.” Hm. Not anger any more. Is that fear? Afraid of me, or what I’ve done? “You showed up out of nowhere with a weird Power Ring and you’re clearly unhinged. Robin showed us what you did to the Joker-” I look to him and he holds my stare evenly. Fair enough. I can’t fault him that. “And now you just attacked Megan out of nowhere!” Fear wrought of legitimate concerns and anger about his missing friend being projected onto me, then.

“N-no… it’s fine.” Oh? The girl herself speaks. “Uncle J’onn said I shouldn’t do that here on Earth. It was my fault.” Not entirely true. I look over to her and her face has darkened with... with… hm. I don’t recognise that emotion. Feels close to contempt, though. Shame? Sounds about right.

“As I said; if it was just an instinctual thing then I apologise for the extremity of my reaction. You, likewise, are forgiven.” She looks relieved. Probably was frazzled by what I did to myself just to force her out. Wally still looks mad, though. “As for you, Kid. In the words of my countrymen; You wanna scrap, bro?” The mocking South Auckland accent I affect gets a giggle out of Beast Boy. Good, good.

“I don’t think tha-” Cyborg, bless him, attempts to mediate. He was willing to watch for a time but now it’s starting to escalate this is the right time to step in. Sadly, it’s too late.

“Oh yes! You shall do the glorious battle to establish your strength! On my world, this is the ‘custom’, yes?” Ah, Starfire. I grin at her by way of answer. Even if it’s kind of bloodthirsty in context her the expression is a familiar one of almost childhood glee. Cyborg sighs.

“Can’t it wait? Huria, you know you’re sti-” I wave a hand at him and shoot him a glare. He gives as good as he gets. Right. He’s our caretaker. Not our age-appropriate friend. Well, he won’t be that much older than me, I think?

“I promise I won’t hurt him.” That does it for Wally. He finally snaps. I know this because I barely hear him shout at me before suddenly he’s rushing across the room with his fist already raising for a swing. I think he said something along the lines of ‘Fuck you too’, or somesuch.

I feel a little bad about this. Of course, I goaded him into this reaction but, at the same time, my reaction to M’gann was genuine. This confrontation was bound to happen at some point so might as well make it happen now. So let’s see…

The ring has accelerated my perception so that I can see him coming but with my physical prowess alone I can’t do anything to stop it. Wally’s charging towards me like he’s moving through treacle but, and this is crucial, he’s getting faster by the second. I won’t be able to react to the actual blow by the time he reaches me; this much I’m sure of.

Alright! Ring, can you help me extrude some studs from the point of impact? Wait until right before his punch hits.

It will be done.

Kid Flash speeds up over the next couple of seconds until he’s moving faster than I can see; his fist slams into my environmental shield and suddenly time returns to normal. There’s a tingling in my head and a hot, warm feeling around my ears and nose. I ignore it in favour of shifting my left leg forwards, twisting about my waist and swinging my right fist directly into his gut.

Everyone looks on in horror; from their point of view Wally just reeled back from me, clutching his hand and crying in pain, and then I socked him one. Well, almost everyone. Starfire is openly cheering me on. I shift and grasp Wally by the forearms; using the ring’s assistance to haul him into the air. He’s looking down at me with an expression that goes from anger to confusion to horror.

Huh. I’m bleeding from my nose and ears. That would be why.

“I’m going to make this as clear as I can, Kid.” He stiffens up and I smirk a little. “You don’t trust me? Well, I don’t trust any of you. Nor do I trust anyone inside my head. I’m not going to apologise for wanting to keep my secrets to myself.” I drop him with a little bit of a push. Kudos to him; he doesn’t try and hit me again as I turn away.

“Oh yeah? What are you trying to hide?” There’s a little gasp from Raven and Cyborg steps forward; clearly unhappy. Too late. It’s been said.

“... hide?” I spin on my heel and advance on him; jabbing a finger into his chest. “I’m not allowed to have any privacy? Is that it?” Now Cyborg reaches for me, putting a hand on my shoulder to pull me back. I shake him off but I don’t advance as Wally steps back; rather, I merely raise my voice as I go.

“FIne then, Wally!” His eyes widen and he retreats another step. “Let’s share! Five days ago I woke up in space with a piece of unknown xenotech flaying me down to the bone so that it could remove every last thing I hated about myself! I don’t know what happened to my family, my friends, or even my entire world! For all I know every single person I’ve ever cared about is dead! So please, allow me a little abrasiveness while I try to come to terms with that.”

At last I turn and walk away; leaving the room in stunned silence. I end up getting into the elevator alone and fiercely slamming the button. Once the doors have closed I collapse into the corner, yank the ring off and look up at the camera in the top corner opposite me. “Hey, Cyborg. I’d, ah, appreciate if you could arrange for a wheelchair at… wherever I’m going. Just kinda hit a random button. Sorry about… yeah.” There’s no reaction for some time until the red light underneath the camera turns blue and then winks on and off.

The doors open shortly thereafter. No idea how he did it but, sure enough, there’s a mechanised wheelchair waiting for me outside. It takes a lot of effort for me to pull myself upright and get into it; at this point, my body can only barely lift its own weight. Geez. Once I’m in it the chair starts to move on its own; startling, but not surprising. It heads through a sliding metal door into a vacant lobby and then out a pair of glass double doors to a paved path that winds down the side of the hill the tower is on.

We’re located on an island; that was expected. Tower’s still under construction which isn’t as expected. I’m parked at an empty dock that faces away from the city; presumably to wait quietly and cool off until Cybor-

A muffled ‘boom’ from behind me and then the man himself steps on to the wood beside me. He stands there as I lean into the back of the chair and stare off into the distance. After a few minutes he finally speaks.

“You’ll need to apologise to Kid Flash.” I nod. Yeah. That’s fair. “But so will he. To you. And M’gann already said she’s fine. They’re all going out for pizza. Team bonding, like I said. You still in, or…?” He trails off, and I wonder if there’s a deeper meaning to his query. Probably not. Maybe so. Hard to say.

“... yeah. I’m in.”

26. ward201

ward201 he/him

I'm so happy this updated!

I'm so sorry you were in a mood that was conducive to working on this story

27. TotalAbsolutism

Ah, well, I've been in way too deep with the High Noon thread for the past day or so, haha.

I'm fine, though; compared to when I started this story I'm in a far better place mentally and emotionally, but still have enough of a grasp on what that was like to be able to write for this.

28. ward201

ward201 he/him

Good to hear

RazielofSecrets and vyor like this.
  29. Guile

Guile Clothes That Kill Virgins

Well that was fun.

I do hope it comes out at some point that Puce's defense against mental intrusion is to allow them to sense him burning/electrocuting/whatevering himself.

30. TotalAbsolutism

M'gann isn't quite sure what just happened but the only point of reference she has for the sensations she felt is something usually done by Red Martians. So yeah.