1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Everything Disgusts Me (DC/SI)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by TotalAbsolutism, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Justlurking

Justlurking Experienced.

"I hate not making sense."
    "It shall be done."
    Yeah, I can see that.:D

2. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

Bah, everything I say is perfectly in tune with a reality!

And you can't prove otherwise so nyeh!

RazielofSecrets likes this.
  3. TotalAbsolutism

TotalAbsolutism Magnificent Bastard Moderator

Also Justice League: War was used for the original timeline of the JL's formation. So any foreknowledge the SI might have had is pretty well fucked. He can make some educated guesses and attempt to be prepared for things but the twisting of the timeline invalidates a lot of stuff.
    That's never really going to not be an issue. It's worth noting that in its home dimension the Puce ring operates one of the furthest slots from middle; which are generally the ones with strongest mental contamination. Specifically it's the equivalent of the colour that normally makes its users go literally insane with endless blind fury.
    Thank you kindly.
    It'd help a little bit. The Ring can't really defend against its own mental contamination though, as that's just a side effect of constant exposure to Puce light.

Puce is objectively the worst colour.

4. Hye

Hye Reader of The Long Words

Alright, this popped up, but only because you quoted me

And same with this

This, however, didn't. Neither did anything, where i was not quoted, after it. So, yay, Vyor isn't special! He and-slash-or she is perfectly average!

Wait, is that cause for celebration?

5. Justlurking

Justlurking Experienced.

I kinda picked up this was a pseudo-Red Ring.;)
    As far as modifying the concept to make a (mostly) heroic Red Lantern, I approve of the modifications. Better than GLTAS did it IMO.
    As our protagonist so often remarks.;)

6. theqwopingone

theqwopingone Journeyman rationalist wannabe. Gone for Good

nah. i don't even mean the emotional part. i just mean how he seems to abide by basic debate etiquette, or at least the intent behind said etiquette, when interacting with people.

it doesn't matter if the path you were on was the wrong one because trying to find the right one is itself the right path. or somehting like that. i hope someone who understands what i am trying to say can explane it better then i can.

7. TotalAbsolutism

Well, there is a bit of nuance between Rage and Contempt.

The former is violent, uncontrollable and rather immediate in how it manifests. Keeping Rage after the fact is hard.

Contempt, meanwhile, lasts. It is the feeling that something has no value. An interesting part of the distinction is that you can feel Contempt for something that doesn't make you Angry, but the reverse is true far less often.

8. theqwopingone

Rage is, categorically, what you feel outside of your reasoning while Contempt can only exist as a result of reasoning?

9. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

LIES! I am special!

(also, yes, he)

10. NakedFury

NakedFury Not too sore, are you?

lost interest the second you took your ring off.

11. TotalAbsolutism

So the point of saying anything was...?

Prince Chrom, Krazyfan1, BC1 and 10 others like this.
  12. Justlurking

Justlurking Experienced.

Shitposting, basically.

Prince Chrom and RazielofSecrets like this.
  13. TotalAbsolutism

Clearly. I must once more wonder at the type of intellect that thinks it's a good idea to offer such vapid and useless criticisms in a story wherein a major theme is self-loathing.

14. Justlurking

Justlurking Experienced.

What makes you think there's objective thinking going on there?;)

15. theqwopingone

this should help you figure it out. it's probably the S catagory that is causing it.

16. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

I love this story. I hope that you continue it at some point.

17. ultima333

ultima333 Happy Sunflower Time Administrator

If you want to poke an author, you can do it by commenting on their profile or PMing them. But the thread's been inactive for over a month now. Please don't commit necromancy.

18. tEN

tEN Mischief Maker

You think that taking in the world by sensing rather than intuition is causing this? As opposed to, say, interacting with the world by judging it?

19. theqwopingone

Well they definitely weren't thinking about what they could say to make the situation better. That's rather why it was called "useless" criticism. Thinking about it, it's probably the same thing that caused you to not realise that "rather than" and "As opposed to" have the same literal meaning.

20. tEN

tEN Mischief Maker

They have similar definitions, and are frequently used together for stylistic reasons, much the same way that you would talk about, say, "Dave & Bob are doing X, and Jane & Emma are doing Y."

N is the other thing somebody could have instead of S, making your assertion in essence "having S makes you more likely to do this than if you had N instead." Meanwhile, J/P is another category entirely, and the one that you should have been focusing on.

You see, we have these things called words that are used to construct full sentences and ideas, and if you were capable or interested in having a discussion about it, you probably would have responded to the point that this is a question of how people are interacting with the world.

21. TotalAbsolutism

In general, I don't mind any of my stories being posted in again after any length of time so long as its not just random shit.

22. Hye

Hye Reader of The Long Words

Well, that is very good to know. Now, if just the one who posted things were you, everything would be absolutely amazing :D

23. Dark Abstraction

Dark Abstraction Occasional Interloper

TotalAbsolutism, I notice that you've mentioned what the other lantern emotions from Puce's home universe are; I'm curious, will you be noting those via colored highlight in updates as you have for the native colors? Seems like something that the ring would do since it could detect local emotions, and it might be interesting to see.

Could see Lantern Stewart noticing Puce's native emotional colors too, since he's currently the only lantern that's interacted with Puce and its presumed emotional spectrum database, though that'd of course be up to you.

24. RichardWhereat

Damn. :( I thought this was being continued.

25. TotalAbsolutism

I update randomly.
    The reason it notes the local ones is because those are the ones with power. Its own spectrum doesn't exist; except for Contempt, which was dragged in and now has its own Central Power Battery.

26. Felius

Felius Experienced.

Brief thought on shields: While contempt for the attack mages sense, so might contempt for bei attacked or wounded, thus coming from the other end about what to feel contempt for. Or even contempt for being unprotected (which should be fairly easy to produce when you're about to be hour for massive damage otherwise :p )

27. RichardWhereat

What? You're missing a few words.

28. dasstan

dasstan :)

"A brief thought on the subject of shields: While the conceptual use of weaponized contempt on the attack itself is feasible, perhaps a more generalized contempt for being attacked, or injured at all, mayhaps even extending that general contempt to being left vulnerable, could lead to curious and novel applications. The contempt for inefficiency potentially benefits the SI more than a point contempt-defense."

29. Guile

Guile Clothes That Kill Virgins

I don't think the protagonist here has the right mindset for that. Remember his contempt for himself was strong enough to remake himself from the ground up.

Your idea would work better for a Gilgamesh type character. One with overwhelming pride in himself.

30. Felius

Felius Experienced.

Thank you, typing from mobile is a bitch.