1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Everything Disgusts Me (DC/SI)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by TotalAbsolutism, Jan 6, 2016.

1. TotalAbsolutism

TotalAbsolutism Magnificent Bastard Moderator

Yeah. While he has Contempt for mortality as a concept he can't change how he feels about personal pain or death. In that case, the primary emotion is definitely Fear.

2. Felius

Felius Experienced.

Maybe contempt for the lack of protection? You hate that you lack force fields, because not having force fields is stupid and just overall unacceptable. Might give at least a weaker shield maybe?

3. TotalAbsolutism

Thing is, Contempt isn't hate. Hate is generally more irrational, whereas Contempt is a bit more rational of an emotion. Contempt is the feeling that something is without value or worth. Beneath you. Certainly, being unprotected is beneath me but there's already the environment shield. I might have to drop that to get a better defence against actual attacks; which is, frankly, foolish.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  4. Morphile

Morphile Versed in the lewd.

So, given the colors of the "spectrum" that Puce comes from, might we see recreations of the other Power Ring types from that continuity? Because they all seem to be various mixtures of the main DC Colors in some way, so someone could, theoretically, synthesize those connections between colors to recreate the alternate Spectrum.

Like, my idea here is that, for whatever reason, the core Emotional Spectrum was not used by the universe Puce comes from, and instead was used to synthesize the Lantern Power Cores, suppressing the influence of the "pure" spectrum. Or, perhaps, the emotional spectrum is the same colors in the universe Puce comes from, but the transition made "best fit" colors from the local Emotional Spectrum.

My biggest question is this: are Black and White still Death and Life, or is Black attuned to Apathy while White is attuned to something like Enlightenment? Because if the spectrum is overhauled, then what happens to the absence and full synchronization of it?

RazielofSecrets and Shinichi07 like this.
  5. TotalAbsolutism

The relation between the original colours has no bearing on the nature of their existing ones; even if it might seem to be coincidentally related in some cases. Synthesising an artificial addition to the local spectrum would be a monumental task; there's just no room. Puce Lantern's CPB is the only source of Puce Light in this reality, and there's no source for the others; hence why the ring isn't picking up on them.
    It's just an entirely different spectrum. But the creators theorised alternative potential options in other realities, so the ring's software is able to identify the new ones it finds itself in contact with.
    Black and White remain unchanged in the local reality. They are more or less absolutes.

6. Morphile

Morphile Versed in the lewd.

I meant in the reality Puce is from. It seems like an opportunity for some odd alternates that fit similar roles. I mean, Black in DC seems to be active negation of the Spectrum, but what about being a simple absence of it? Absorbing or reflecting the normal Spectrum? Apathy seems like a more logical Black to me, and having a more abstract Spectrum makes it seem like Life and Death fit less as White and Black as a result. Like, all the canon DC Emotional Spectrum powers are keyed to more or less concrete mental states, while the one Puce is from seems to be about concepts rather than states. You respect things, you have mercy on people, but you feel greed, you feel hope.

And Black is actually largely unrelated to the Emotional Spectrum. It's a side thing keyed to Nekron in particular that happens to be largely antithetical to the Emotional Spectrum, rather than an actual part of it. So in a topsy-turvy universe with a different Spectrum, it's counterpart of Nekron could be apart from the Spectrum in a less conflicting way. Or a differently-conflicting way, like the Black Light of Apathy being an eldritch thing that screws with how reality works quite severely by being an utter absence of the Emotional Spectrum. Nekron is what the Darkness Before the Universe saw as Life's interpretation of Death. What kind of being would be made from that force's view of Enlightenment's interpretation of Apathy?

Really, Nekron from Darkest Night is actually the result of a pre-universe force making something out of it's interpretation of Life's view of Death. Said force could have gone after a different concept, instead. Nekron is far from the only embodiment of Death in DC, after all. Hell, there's three different versions of the bugger.

RazielofSecrets likes this.
  7. TotalAbsolutism

Black and White remain Life and Death; but their origin and relationship with each other and the spectrum is not nearly the same.

Respect and Mercy are no less emotions than Will, to my mind. Really, they ought to refer to Green as Resolve instead.

8. The Froggy Ninja

The Froggy Ninja The Blade Will Never Die

The Green Light fills me with DETERMINATION.

9. TotalAbsolutism

I just realised that the term I was trying to go for when I made the colours would be better described as 'Pity' rather than 'Mercy'.

10. The Froggy Ninja

What kind of mental contamination would Respect even give?

11. TotalAbsolutism

Very little, but it's not a good ring for someone not firm in themselves. You need to have self-respect to protect yourself, respect for your enemies to hurt them and respect for a course of action to do it at all. It's hard to help weak or pathetic people because as much as you may sympathise with their situation... You don't really respect them.

12. The Froggy Ninja

How open is that last issue to reinterpretation? Like, you could not respect the person you're healing but respect the action of healing them. Or would that not work?

Prince Chrom and RazielofSecrets like this.
  13. KinKrow

KinKrow A DREAM ABOUT DREAMING

Ahhh, "I can't respect myself if I don't heal them," or, "I respect my healing capabilities."

14. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

The Pity ring, OTOH, would likely be quite good for helping the hopeless (the more pathetic they are, the more you can help), but unless you have a great deal of self-pity, might not be so good for protecting yourself.

Prince Chrom and RazielofSecrets like this.
  15. GiftofLove

GiftofLove A Gift From The Heart

It's pretty easy to find people drowning in self-pitty.

16. rooster

rooster Succ

Now I'm debating with myself if writing such a thing would be a good idea, because I'm fairly certain I'd be able to use such a ring if it were real. :eek:

17. theqwopingone

theqwopingone Journeyman rationalist wannabe. Gone for Good

The thing to remember for that Ring, almost like a mantra, would be "You should be better then me". It would actually be somewhat interesting.
    This actually reminds me of how INTJs were called a "Cause with a rebel.". "This is my cause; This is my fight[...]" indeed.

18. Prince Charon

Huh. Is 'rebellion/rebelliousness' an emotion?

RazielofSecrets and Jarudazuigu like this.
  19. Shinichi07

Shinichi07 Versed in the lewd.

so in the original universe that the Puce ring comes from How much mental contamination comes from the gold/glory ring? also who is usually chosen by those rings? Are they just narcissistic jackasses or are they people who do actually Glorious actions like running into a burning building to save someone/Fighting against injustice and oppression?

20. TotalAbsolutism

Trying to make yourself think differently is a time-honoured tradition, yes. But that requires the basic value you're describing; that is to say, you need to find the act of healing to be inherently respectful. If you don't then it won't work.
    The former would not work for a Respect ring user. The latter would.
    Quite correct. You are only capable of using the ring on or for things you find pitiable or pathetic.
    Keeping that attitude after getting a power ring is surprisingly hard.
    Yes. You have to have a bit of both to use it well. You need to believe in your own Glory and worship it. Everything you do has to be Glorifying something. That doesn't need to be you, mind. It's possible to have a cause that you find Glorious and act in accordance with it.

21. Tsotate

Tsotate Getting sticky.

Surely, anyone who ever has to interact with Wally becomes a source of Puce Light to rival the CPB.

22. TotalAbsolutism

Wally is not entirely in the wrong. I don't believe that he is, and neither does PL. He has valid points that are couched in an asshole-ish tone because he, personally, feels like he has a beef with PL. There's a reason why Cyborg has said the both of them need to apologise.

... sorry for ruining the joke. :p

23. Tsotate

Tsotate Getting sticky.

I mean, Wally is not entirely wrong about this specific situation. I just meant that my general reaction to YJ Wally could power a Puce Ring quite handily. He's just utterly worthless.

24. Prince Charon

I wouldn't say 'worthless,' but he can certainly be very, very annoying.

25. Tsotate

Tsotate Getting sticky.

He's a waste of perfectly good air. He's immature, misogynistic, deeply in denial about the very obvious existence of magic in his world, constantly gets the team into trouble by being less competent than he thinks he is, and has never shown a single redeeming feature. If I had a Puce ring in real life, it would completely remove him from an otherwise excellent cartoon.

26. TotalAbsolutism

If I can write Guiche de Gramont as an engaging protagonist I can make Kid Flash not terrible. Give him a chance.

27. KinKrow

KinKrow A DREAM ABOUT DREAMING

Guiche had money, good hair, and a harem of bronze bitches- he was always a compelling character~

28. theqwopingone

theqwopingone Journeyman rationalist wannabe. Gone for Good

That somewhat different. The former was someone who was such as bad human that being any worse would actually be a improvement, because he wouldn't be able to do anything; He is so bad that he can be utterly dismissed due to not having anything to work with, which is sort of like being angery at grass or drying paint due to it sort of just being there. The latter, on the other, hand thinks he should be doing something, but due to not thinking about what that thing is ends up doing a impression of a parody that doesn't know they are a parody; He should know better, and even if he was just mimicing what he is trying to without adding anything onto that he could still do that if he wasn't such a fuckup about it, which make it somewhat like getting angery at fungus due to them having a whole life cycle based on making things fall apart.

RazielofSecrets and Jarudazuigu like this.
  29. Shinichi07

Shinichi07 Versed in the lewd.

So would you say purple/respect is the center of the Alternate spectrum like will/green is in the regular dc verse?

Also any idea on what the symbol for the respect ring would be? Cause I came up with one for glory/gold that's a triangle with the classic lantern circle/center at the tip then two prongs curving up from the circle to form "arms" kinda like a simplified trophy

Jarudazuigu likes this.
  30. The Froggy Ninja

Respect was explicitly stated to be at the edge of the spectrum. Discontent is the middle.

Prince Chrom and Shinichi07 like this.