1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Sorrow

Sorrow Getting sticky.

I think the Reachian (I'm going to call Him/Her Commander) is communicating through the ships communicators.

Ardy likes this.
  2. Massgamer

Massgamer I trust you know where the happy button is?

This Reach guy is starting to make me think he is their version of Thrawn or something.

Otto von Saurion and Wivk like this.
  3. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Thrawn rarely was so full of himself as this Reach fella seems to be. Even the Disney version was mostly just smug and superior rather then actively grandstanding over the radio at his foes.

Don't know if THIS Reach official is the same one that ends up on Earth in YJ canon or not. We haven't seen Black Beetle thus far, and the one in the show never gave a name either, so it's hard to say which is which. So all we're left with are 'The Ambassador' , 'The Scientist' and 'Black Beetle' for identifiable Reach members from the show?

4. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Anyone else would probably be dead.

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  5. Threadmarks: Onslaught (part 20)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

25th August 2012
    05:45 GMT

"…keep what is mine, that is my right."

The usual recharge-flare isn't all that big, but I make a point of causing huge arcs of orange light to flow around me to make it very obvious to the N.E.M.O. fleet that the Illustres is back in fighting form.

"Sorry I'm late. Traffic was terrible."

N.E.M.O. fleet. Not a L.E.G.I.O.N. fleet. Dox's plan to bring everyone up to speed is a remarkable piece of work, but it's got a lot of moving parts that can get gummed up. We assumed that the Reach wouldn't make a counter-attack at this point, as that would have been in line with their previously observed behaviour. That meant that the plan favoured building up those stellar nations who were nearly to the point where they could build L.E.G.I.O.N.-grade ships rather than rushing ships as soon as possible. By the time the Reach were likely to get serious, we would have the largest possible number of ships. But naturally, that means that we're a little short now.

"Hierarch-Illustres, we detect no lateness and we are grateful for your presence."

Only a little short. L.E.G.I.O.N. ships are moving in on all of the other preserved alien fleets, with reserves to cover any likely location for a Reach attack from the fleets we know about. Not an ideal situation; our fleets aren't really designed to capture ships intact and so we're going to be getting tissue samples at best. But… You go to war with the military you have.

"My pleasure, Admiral."

It's the big sphere ship, the raw power of its shields and armour meaning that these ships… Don't really have anything that can meaningfully hurt it. Colossal size isn't an unalloyed good as every strategy has a counterplay option and making one big ship means that you can't really switch strategy. On the other hand, if your opponent isn't ready for your all-in, they rather get bulldozed.

Big, powerful shield and tough armour and thanks to me savaging their desires earlier I don’t think that I can just appear onboard again. On the other hand, having had a good look at the fracture cannons earlier I don't think that I need to.

"Please make sure that your ships stay clear."

The fracture cannon construct appears next to me, its huge size meaning that its appearance is relatively slow. Not sure if whoever's on the sphere knows what it is I'm making, but anyone with any sense gets nervous when a Lantern points something like this at them.

"Illustres to Reach-affiliated ship. Strike your colours, power down your weapons and shields and prepare to be boarded. You have ten seconds to comply."

I don't have to worry about powering the thing, but to make sure this looks good for the cameras I physically take hold of my personal lantern and slot it into the construct. The sphere… It can't really accelerate above its current slow rate, but it's channelling combat power into its shields, interdiction systems and point defences. A quick scan shows none of the Free Lancers' clever guns, and I'd like to take advantage of their absence for as long as I can.

"You have been identified as hostile and have refused to surrender. May Lord Hades have mercy on your souls."

There's a faint purple glow around my construct, then a flash from the ship as a line of purple pierces it pole to pole. The armour isn't worthless -in fact it's relatively intact- but all of the space along that line that wasn't armoured just got horribly damaged. Including their main reactor, because their ship prioritised output over redundancy. After all, if an attacker can punch through the strongest shields and armour they can build, why wouldn't they just fire again if they didn't score an immediate kill? Better to have a more effective reactor to power the strongest possible shields.

And it makes sense. Up to a point.

The speed of light being what it is, it'll be a few minutes until we see the ship lose thrust as the lights on the outer surface start going out, but since I'm seeing it by ring-scan I share it with the fleet. No sense leaving them to worry unnecessarily.

The construct glows purple again as I target the armoured command bunker inside the ship. The tactic they used to use if something went wrong with primary power was to hunker down and prepare counter-boarding tactics, in the not entirely incorrect belief that while an enemy might be able to disable them, breaking a ship that size apart was a whole nother matter. They would sacrifice mass for time as the engineers worked to repair the reactor.

I target their reaction mass containment and fire for a third time.

A normal fleet in this position would retreat, sacrificing a rearguard if necessary. A one-ship fleet like this can't. Once it stops functioning it's stopped, and all of the resources put into building it are forfeit. If I was depriving the Reach of something they invested effort in I'd feel quite good about this. But I suspect it was just in mothballs until a Reach xenophile felt moved to take it out. Probably brought it up to specification using his own funds. And while having me single-handedly destroy it is a good news story for our side, the Reach as a people and a polity aren't going to care at all.

Two more shots targeting emergency batteries, then I dismiss the construct. At this point we could just leave them to starve to death. I doubt that the Reach will spend the effort needed to pick them up, and the ship is damaged beyond what the people on board can repair by their own efforts.

"Admiral, the ship is disabled. Please have your fleet picket it until Orange Lanterns become available to board and clear it."

"We have Citizen-Marines who can perform that operation."

"I appreciate the offer, but this ship comes from a species the Reach made extinct. We want to take the crew alive if at all possible, and it would be entirely unreasonable to put your marines in that much danger."

"For what reason?"

"Because we're not fighting this war to take territory or resources. We're not fighting the Reach because they're offensive to our gods, or our sense of aesthetics. We're fighting them because they're an existential threat to us, and to everyone else. But if we are to be the righteous side, there must be beneficent things we do where they would instead be malevolent. They enslave and exterminate. We will recreate civilisations and make their people free. Quite aside from the moral value, there are few things as satisfying as entirely undoing your enemy's work."

"That is the Zenith-Controllers' objective? I know that they transform worlds for their vassals, but I did not realise that their powers included recreating entire species."

"They're welcome to join in of course, but it's possible for the rest of us as well. It just takes longer. I don't fight because I rejoice in the piles of corpses I create. I rejoice in making the universe more like it should be."

I dismiss my construct and return my personal lantern to subspace, having my ring send me an update on the ongoing fights with the other fleets. The ones I visited are performing noticeably worse than their pre-Reach counterparts, but I need to get moving.

"Moving into position, Hierarch-Illustres. We will stand by until relieved by Citizen-Lanterns."

"Thank you, Admiral."

I

step out

and appear in the midst of a starship dogfight! I generate a construct shield to block a missile barrage that could have crippled a L.E.G.I.O.N. cruiser and retaliate with a destructive lance that rips an enemy heavy cruiser into pieces.

"Illustres to Clarissi, I've dealt with the sphere. Please send Orange Lanterns who can reliably brand to board it."

I'll assign them after the attack is over.

I form construct point defences and an instant later there are no enemy missiles in the combat zone.

"Thank you. I think my secret admirer is behind this attack."

Yes, I heard your conversation. I will continue investigating them. This methodology is irregular for the Reach. I dislike my enemies behaving irregularly.

"Me too. I'll pop by once the attacking fleets are defeated. Illustres out."

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
  6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Gotta keep morale up.

'to be'

'whole other'

remove one 'things'

'because I'

remove the ".

The previous instances of ring communication lacked them.

So either it's the Reach version of Thrawn, or unlikely, but still interesting, this guy isn't even a Reach.

7. moralrelativity

and an instant -> and in an instant

8. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Nothing like the intimidation factor of knowing your Lantern enemy has a full tank, and is about to point all that power at you. A pity the Reach thralls he's fighting are too broken to be intimidated.

Yes, all those remnant fleets getting in the way of your steamroller. Hopefully nothing as bad as Threllians' people.

Yay for long-term strategic planning. Favouring the longer game instead of the shorter gain.

I'm guessing this fellow's race has a caste-system, and outsiders are afforded equivalent positions within it. With OL having a rank close to the top...

...Wait, he's basically taking on a Death Star? Heh. I bet that 'bulldozed' can be literal if they appear close enough to the enemy and moving at enough speed.

Huh, it's one of the ones he visited before? I wonder which...

Upside, no need to target an equatorial thermal exhaust port with torpedoes fired from a snub fighter. Downside, I suspect that construct isn't exactly the most mobile of weapons. Against most fleets, it'd probably be a liability for him.

So the sooner he nobbles this ship, the sooner he can move on to the next fleet. This shouldn't take too long.

Unfortunately, as OL just showed, when you can ignore those shields... Well, they lose.

And if it's anything as large as a Death Star, that would be a lot of territory to sweep one block at a time...

True. If anything, they'd probably spin it as 'belligerent enemy Lantern terrorises peaceful nomadic fleets.' Not that they really need to drum up hard feelings against N.E.M.O. But they'd probably want to 'encourage' undecided neutrals to accept Reach protection...

Not that there's a big rush. I'm sure local Lanterns will be quite busy for a couple of weeks now.

Presumably for the reasons I mentioned earlier, of sheer effort needed to secure something that big.

Heh, that makes a good soundbite for the propaganda machine. I hope someone was recording it... Well, I know OL was, but hopefully others were too.

And that is a badass boast that will probably go memetic as soon as it hits the galactic equivalent of the Internet.

So, his day's not over for quite a while. At least he won't have nearly as hard a time as he did with Threllian's people.

And straight back into the fight. No rest for the righteous...

I suspect he's had enough of these fleets, though. A display like that just screams 'you are outmatched.'

So, he'll be done in a couple of hours. Because I doubt any of the remnants will have anything to trouble him, even Scarab Warriors.

So, the main plot of the episode is pretty much done, then. Hopefully N.E.M.O's intelligence branch can get some info on this mysterious Reach commander that's showing such an interest in OL. I'm definitely getting a sense that their identity, and dealing with their assorted ploys, will form a big part of the meta-plot of the next few episodes...

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Or his species lacks one and just referred to OL like that since it made sense to him.

10. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    No.
    Thank you, corrected.

11. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Well... That was a nice two minutes of suspense while it lasted...

12. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Heh. Reach flirting.

"I recreated these slave species FOR YOU!"

"Uh. Thanks?"

13. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

This one?

14. Hell's Razer

Hell's Razer Passive Member

The error is on the last chapter of August 24.
    You can see the equal sign in the link when you mouse over the link -if you are using firefox - on the bottom left, or bottom right of the browser window.

15. SirKaid

SirKaid Know what you're doing yet?

You should replace the comma with a full stop.

16. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Ah, okay. I thought the problem was with the Story Only link. Should work now.

17. lars

lars Avid reader

Does Black lantern Paul have a standalone chapter to him?

18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Here's at least one that I found.

Cuchulin, Prince Charon and lars like this.
  19. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

Has anyone ever discussed what a black enlightenment would look like?

Cuchulin likes this.
  20. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

You are a god and Mr Zoat please threadmark this....

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  21. Mr Zoat

I'll add it to the omake index list.

22. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

23. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

I was thinking of a power tier division list, and wanted to ask if anyone had any additions to it. I'm planning on dividing it up by feats of power, but logically, with each step up in tier, there should be a corresponding increase in power versatility.

X: This tier can only be described as something on the level of The Source. It becomes powerful to the point of being abstract in nature.

S: At the high end, beings in this tier can wipe out whole solar systems, or more. At the lower end, they should be capable of total planetary destruction. Survivability also sees a huge jump here, with most beings in this tier having backups in place in case of death.

A: Beings in this tier can, in relatively short order, wipe out all life on a planet, but will still likely struggle in actually destroying a planet. They should also have various means of surviving in space under their own power. Any mildly competent lantern should get an immediate boost to low A tier.

B: Beings that can crush mountains and level cities. The best example of this is Superman. Super strong, fast, and tough, but it would still take him weeks to try and kill everything on Earth, assuming that he ever could.

C: At this point, a being should be capable of going toe to toe against a modern Earth military. This would require some consistent method of resisting bullets and explosions, and enough stamina to last them through such a fight, or long enough to escape.

Past this point, further subdivision could occur, but it would be kind of pointless, as on a universal scale, C is where things stop mattering at all. Of course, in actual fights, while a being's power tier are certainly important, the abilities and equipment in use are often more so. I'd appreciate any comments

24. Threadmarks: Onslaught (part 21)
    Mr Zoat

25th August 2012
    07:23 GMT

Dox nods.

"I am in complete agreement."

Off to one side Georgia is busy taking apart one of the captured construct destroyers with obvious relish.

"Our greatest advantage is that Orange Lanterns can outperform everything the Reach can send against them at anything remotely resembling even tonnage. That advantage is about to be nullified."

His ring shimmers.

"I'm sending orders now. Orange Lanterns will begin striking at Reach targets immediately."

I nod. "Where do you want me?"

He shakes his head. "I don't. Having analysed your conversation with your…" His face twitches in distaste. "'Admirer', I have reached the conclusion that you're becoming a little too visible."

"Clarissi-."

"It's not about my personal pride. Your death would be a substantial blow to our allies' morale. And while there is some advantage in having the Reach focus their research and development efforts on a single individual, I would rather not give them a single thing to focus on at all."

I nod. "If you say so. What do you want me doing, then? Should I head back to Earth, do a tour of our member worlds to spread the good news..?"

"The abilities you used to defeat the byryte fleet aren't shared by other Orange Lanterns. That will be a problem when the Reach reinforce them."

"Yes, but that's been true since we started this. What I did to.. get these abilities, I'm not sure how to replicate that. I've tried teaching my methods…"

"I know. But I want you to focus on it. Select whatever Lanterns you think have the best chance of repeating your success and assist them as much as you can."

"And if it turns out to be impossible?"

"Those Lanterns you've tutored already display measurable improvements in their abilities. It would be useful if they could share your breakthrough, but if they simply improve in a linear fashion then we can use that to improve our training procedures."

I nod.

"Can do. But the problem might be in my teaching techniques." I shrug. "I'm not sure how inclined to share the Guardians are, and Dame Carol has… Suggested that maybe I should avoid Zamaron for the moment… Karax."

"If you think visiting Karax would be productive, you have my leave to do so."

Karax. Saved from the Spider Guild by a Green Lantern Task Force, it's gone on to become the centre of Lanternism in the Milky Way galaxy. Its records on the activities of members of the Green Lantern Corps are second only to the records on Oa, and unlike the Guardians' records are available to the public.

Also, I may have caused a bit of a religious explosion there. And I should probably do something to moderate it before someone does something regrettable.

"I'll take Lantern Onik, then. There's a good chance that he has the right outlook. And… I'll take a look at the rest. See if the shape of their thoughts means something to me or the Ophidian."

He no-

"Oh, that is interesting."

-ds.

Dox turns around, something that thinks it's a smile on his lips. "Already? I thought we might study it to-." Georgia looks up. "Together."

"Naturally, I can't study precisely how it interacts with power ring generated constructs without knowing more about how constructs are formed, but I can tell what this device does easily enough. And, um. For our first joint project. It's-. It's a bit simple."

"Do the Int characters want to explain it to the Wis character?"

"It disrupts the physical manifestation of the construct. The 'draining' part only occurs after the construct has already destabilised, though the switch from one condition to the other is extremely quick. The only thing I can't determine is where the energy is going, but I'm-" She flashes Dox a smile. "-sure we can quickly work that out with a little experimentation."

No.

No. No, fuck off. I know that technology.

I spent two months watching that blasted mortician before it occurred to me that there might be more than one man named 'William Hand'.

"Did you ever study William Hand's work? His power beam?"

"Junior and I once made a game of writing total nonsense into his memory book to see if we could get him to actually do it. I think I remember reading about his 'power beam', but I never really thought anything about it. It shouldn't be that hard to steal an example of his work."

"No, I can get one legally."

"Where's the fun in that?"

"The security probably wouldn't challenge you and the analysis will be more interesting?"

"I… Suppose."

"Georgia, this is a serious problem. If-."

Dox nods. "You think that the Free Lancers acquired the technology on Earth. Which means that they may have a full catalogue of Earth's exotic technologies to sell and certainly have the location of Earth. I had already assigned a Darkstar team to track them, but I'll increase the priority of the mission."

I nod. "Thank you. Any ideas on counter-strategies?"

"Your use of physical obstacles was… Simplistic, but effective. I would coat my constructs in a malleable but resilient substance instead. Once the Reach begin deploying them on their ships we will have to retrain the Corps in the technique."

Georgia frowns. "Once I've perfected my understanding of the technology, it should be perfectly possible for m-. Us to find a way to disrupt the mechanism it uses. I suppose that in combat it would be one more thing to think about. Perhaps you could try putting Lanterns on ships and leaving them there, to allow them to focus on exotic effects while their colleagues fight?"

I bow my head.

"I'll leave you to talk about it between yourselves. If you'll excuse me, Clarissi?"

Dox nods, already turning to the device Georgia has partially disassembled. I

step out

and appear a little way outside of Kalmin's workshop.

"Illustres to Kalmin."

His head appears over my ring at once.

"Illustres. I understand that we have negotiations to perform regarding a duel."

I nod.

"Indeed we do."

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
  25. moralrelativity

project -> projects
    <3 this D&D reference.
    perfectly -> perfected

26. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Nice flipping of what Paragon's "No" was referring to.

Wouldn't William Hand's power beam be on record in Justice League databases that Paragon would have had access to? Or did Hand fight the Justice Society or something? I assumed he would have just asked Alan or Guy early on about tech villains used that disrupted constructs.

I wonder if studying Dark Druid (who should still be locked up somewhere in the Tower of Fate, I believe) and his use of the black light can help in creating counter-measures. Right now I'm assuming it'll be something similar to how they tackled Anti-Life exposure, using multiple emotional lights together, though the GLC can't actively cooperate with the OLC in fighting the Reach unfortunately (partnering up GLs and OLs if the Reach do start selling the construct disrupting guns to other parties might be a plan to consider, though definitely a thorny bureaucratic/diplomatic issue with multiple Maltusian factions coordinating).

I'm assuming Hand's gun is working using black light; I don't know much about the character besides his general role in Blackest Night.

It'll be interesting to see Lanternism being explored in more detail, and how their theology has been affected by the appearance of a new Corps. Is that something from the comics or a social phenomenon that Zoat invented for the fic?

Eld_Tiger, Vorian, Cuchulin and 13 others like this.
  27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'in complete'

She gets to spend time doing what she loves and doing it with the man she loves.

Jealous are we Dox?

Maybe you're a little tsundere and want Paul to join you and Georgia.

You have your Coluan student.

Still pissed about peeping on them.

And if they know that you can wield their rings they may be angry that you disproved any beliefs they had about others not being able to.

'Its records'

Ah Paul, causing a religious schism with his existence.

Due to being a priest, or at least an apprentice priest if I remember correctly.

Ahhh.

And you may finish it quickly.

You don't want to finish too quickly.

Ohhh my.

Yes Paul.

You brought them together, you live with the consequences.

They'll probably do it once you leave.

So social puppeteering.

Ahh.

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

This is apparently a different William Hand and not the one that was the Light Spectrum version of the Anti-Christ.

29. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Yea... I don't think you're the Wisdom character either...

30. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Wot, no mustard or ketchup? :V But seriously, she's probably a good asset to study the more esoteric technology that's likely involved in an anti-Spectrum weapon. After all, she's familiar with Earth Bullshit™. A little bit of alien weirdness is going to be nothing compared to our strangest schizo-tech.

At least until you've reverse-engineered the weapon and devised a counter-tactic better than 'dodge' or 'block with solid mass'.

So the periphery of Reach space is about to get a little hot for the foreseeable future, then. Drawback is that'll make some of the more valuable targets less accessible.

"Seriously, I'm beginning to think they have a romantic attraction to you. That last encounter verged on flirting."

Maybe visit another neutral world, and see if the Reach make another assassination attempt that ends up driving said neutral into N.E.M.O's arms?

The 'byrytes' being the actual name for Threllian's species? Because they're the only ones OL had to invent a new technique for disrupting their combat readiness... And yes, I don't see other Lanterns repeating the success of merging then separating from the Ophidian...

It could be a likely result. I mean, how many Green Lanterns would appear to be enlightened, besides Guy? I expect that Avarice Enlightenment is not going to be any easier than Will.

To be fair, a lot of that tutelage is OL asking leading questions to make themselves question their motives and resolve conflicts they might be feeling. Basically making them better at wanting, yes, but also better-rounded people in general...

Hmm... A pity he hasn't the time to go looking for Indigo, while Atrocitus probably hasn't gotten off his arse and started making Red rings just yet... And Sinestro is very good at keeping his head down too... So no help there.

Let me guess: a doctrinal shift about the worth of Avarice versus Will? Hopefully he can at least prevent a holy war between Radical Orangists and Orthodox Greenians. :V

Remind me, is Onik one we've met? Because it's been a long time and my memory is mush. Might definitely be a good idea to keep best snek involved too, since they'll be tramping around her Honden...

Oooh, a saucy romantic date, Dox? Talk about moving quickly.

I take it you mean you're the low-wisdom type of character, then, OL? I mean, sure, you've got big bonuses to your Will save to offset the penalty, but something's been messing with your common sense...

Yeah, this might be best left to the two of them. I don't think anyone wants to stick around the lovebirds as they bond over SCIENCE!

...Okay, remember what I was saying about Low Wisdom, OL? Case in point. For reference, folks: Black Hand (The relevant one, anyway.)

That's still a crazy concept. Almost as nuts as the Crime Bible. Mr Hand was never the stablest fellow, of course...

Besides the fact you don't have time for another heist? Besides, It's probably in a League lock-up in Star labs or something. Easy to collect, once you clear it with them.

"Take all the fun out if it, why don't you..." But he does have a point. I doubt much on Earth is a real challenge for them these days.

...Fuuuuuck. That just makes it all the more important to find and corral them. If only to question them about the origins of their 'collection'.

Thankfully, neither technique sounds all that challenging. It'll probably take all of a day or two to run through classes.

...Oh god, the Sivanas getting more info on Spectrum-based technology? Why does that scare me more than the Corps facing weapons tailor-made to defeat them?

...I hope they won't need a chaperone. Who knows where the heated study might lead, after all? x3

As close is as safe without triggering his perimeter defences, of course. I suspect people give the area a wide berth after the first few injuries healed up...

...Or an engagement. Who knows how the fight will turn out? Still, sensible idea to have them acting as seconds for the duellists. Less chance of outright fatal results...

But that's something that can happen offscreen. No need to bore us all with their discussion...

Good lord, how did we all miss that connection? Black Hand isn't that obscure a Lantern-adjacent villain. Though I suppose he is better known these days for the Black Lantern stuff than his original super-criminal antics. Still amazed how a two-bit crook turned into a cosmic threat back then (close to seventeen years, incidentally: 'Green Lantern: Rebirth' began in 2004.)