1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. monochromaticPrism

monochromaticPrism Getting out there.

My first instinct was also Deadshot. The one eye covered by hair fits the sniper angle from a character design standpoint.

I haven’t the foggiest about the second image.

Cuchulin likes this.
  2. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Well "Agent Slade," but yeah, the cartoon does seem to have some anime influence. The S Shield is effectively a temporary power up ala Dragon Ball for example.

You'll have to wait for the Suicide Squad Isekai for full on DC anime though.

Leslie Willis aka Livewire.

Instead of a professionally obnoxious radio shock jock she's a mercenary thief, so yeah, an in name only adaptation.

3. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Can I just say I'm really enjoying this arc and want to see more of the Nabu Grayven team up?

4. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Well, people already said the answers. But even if they hadn't, I couldn't answer the question in good faith because I'd already seen the first two episodes and already knew who they were.

5. Wheenesss

Wheenesss Versed in the lewd.

Deathstroke and Livewire?

6. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Did you cheat? If not, how the heck did you tell?

7. Wheenesss

Deathstroke was easy because of the white hair covering one of his eyes. That and the colors of his outfit scream ‘Deathstroke’. Plus what is clearly Amanda Waller in the background made me certain.

Livewire I guessed mainly because of the shitty haircut reminded me of her and the generally unpleasant vibe from her. IIRC, she was already kind of a bitch before becoming a supervillain.

Bramble Thorn, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  8. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

I feel like you arrived at the right answers through the wrong methods there.

That Deathstroke, for example, looks more like a pretty boy agent of A.R.G.U.S or Checkmate, and isn't usually associated with Amanda Waller.

And I can't see how you equate that Livewire, or where do you see the resemblance, with this:

[​IMG]

Mecrazyfang, Cuchulin, Bud-E and 5 others like this.
  9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'shoves'

Naturally.

Seeing as they live in a world where mind control is a thing, it's possible that there are laws that allow victims of it to not be held accountable for their actions during their enslavement, so they may be able to avoid sanctions.

10. Valint

Valint I trust you know where the happy button is?

What do you think this is, the 2010s? I mean, they can tweak the characters somewhat from the voice actors in ways that don't matter (and will then have to apologize in 10 years if it turns out that whatever they tweaked is a new representational thing), but I'm okay looking at this cast list and making the default assumption that they chose voice actors to match the characters or vice versa.

(Okay, Supergirl is an outlier, but I assume the rule is that anyone can play white vanilla characters.)

Cuchulin likes this.
  11. Wheenesss

I'm told my brain goes through weird pathways to arrive at the same conclusions as everyone else.

My thought process was 'if they're already giving Lois Lane a pixie cut and tan-skin, then just generally assume that the other redesigns are going to only be vaguely similar or not at all or evocative of modern weeb design sensibilities'.

While I have not actually seen the show, it does help that I knew Deathstroke and Livewire were already in it via osmosis beforehand. I just didn't know what they looked like.

Cuchulin likes this.
  12. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    I spent five minutes staring at that, wondering what the correction was.

13. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Accents exist. You can have someone with the wrong accent fake it, and the difference between a Korean-American accent and a Japanese-, Taiwanese-, or Mainland-city-Chinese-American accent will be pretty subtle even for an Asian-American to pick up, but it's there. Why fake it?

Cuchulin likes this.
  14. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Deathstroke is obvious. That was my first guess and I rejected it as "not changed enough", he still looks basically the same and I was assuming that they'd have to be a big difference to annoy purists. It does help that Waller is in the background and he's looking like a strategist for approximately-suicide-squad, but that's obviously Deathstroke.

Cuchulin and Wheenesss like this.
  15. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Huh. I actually really like that Harley design. Feels really upbeat, which is exactly what I'd want from an anime version of her.

16. Mr Zoat

Is this a recent thing? Because I can't remember comic Deathstroke ever working for or with Waller.

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Not sure if there was a previous instance of it happening in some other media, though it's not that weird that a highly skilled soldier with ties to a super soldier program would work for a group where Waller was present.

I'm not sure if this Slade is a super soldier or if he's even called Deathstroke since this show is about Superman's early forays in superheroics, so even some villains may lack some of their comic characteristics like names, powers or personalities at the beginning and only develop them at a later time as the show progresses.

It's not the first time a show would change some things from the comics.

Heck, they sometimes have to change it since the original may not make sense to use in the new piece of work.

They might even change in the same medium.

In Marvel they have changed who abducted Tony Stark from communists to, criminal groups, to Middle Eastern terrorists because as some of those groups fell apart it wouldn't make much sense to use them anymore.

There's also what year Captain America was thawed out changing etc.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  18. Stsword

Yes, barely.

Deathstroke was a member of the Suicide Squad for one issue in 2014, he quit at the end of the issue.

mastermenthe and Ardy like this.
  19. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

If you play yourself is not even acting, is just being yourself.

20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Not necessarily.

Actors have played fictionalized versions of themselves that don't have much of their real personality.

One of the episodes of the new Always Sunny season had Aaran Paul play himself as very Dennis-like and being a psychological/emotional abuser towards Bryan Cranston.

Plus animators can make their creations look like the voice actor, but not be like them.

21. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

Am I missing why Nabu had to become a helmet when he became a Lord of Order and Klarion got to be a real boy when he became Lord of Chaos?

22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Nabu may have thought that having a body was disorderly.

The flesh craves things that can lead to actions that may be considered chaoticand he wanted to be purely orderly and got rid of it.

Ngamer11 and Ardy like this.
  23. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

I was going to correct this to "navel gazing". (Okay, no, I wasn't; I wouldn't have thought it worth highlighting a correction for a non-story post.)

Then I realized we're looking at a ship metaphor. Very well, you may have your naval gazing.

It's not necessarily even THAT subtle. Distinguishing between the various Chinese accents is a bit subtle for the uninitiated, and distinguishing between Japanese and Korean likewise, but distinguishing between Chinese and Japanese or Korean isn't particularly hard.

24. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

So what is going on is Nabu addicted to having a physical body and won't admit it or something else?

25. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

he was addicted to it, but couldn’t have that and order OP power without dying, and he wanted both, so dream magic with Ahriman. Now that he was forced to confront it he says he’ll help kill Ahriman then isolate himself to get over his perverse need to breath and touch things

mastermenthe and Bud-E like this.
  26. Stsword

It probably doesn't have anything to do with becoming a lord of order per se.

In YJ (which Zoat isn't using), the transformation was apparently done post mortem.

In the comics, Nabu switched to the helmet after his body was worn out after thousands of years of use.

So Klarion had a healthy body when he made the switch, and Nabu probably did not.

Bud-E and RoninSword like this.
  27. Threadmarks: Pyrrhucy (part 11)
    Mr Zoat

External Motivation = External Control

Pull a thread, apart comes the garment.

And apart come I.

The weakness of eudemonia; the greatness of even a virtuous man can be torn asunder by bad luck, or… Just being outmatched. Virtues of character are useful, but not a guarantee of worldly success. In Christian morality it's completely different; virtue is always rewarded by God in Heaven, whatever tribulations are endured on Earth.

It feels bad. It feels bad.

I can be-. Have been-.

"Aaaaagh!"

"Kadabra! He's awake."

"Yes, yes. Hold still."

"We're still in a combat zone. Work and walk."

"MAaaaagh!"

"Can you shut him up?"

"Why don't we just take the rings off?"

"Possibly." Ugh. "And because they're a central part of his metaphysical self. That would risk making things worse."

"Doesn't the Bible say 'if the self offends you, cut it off'? Seriously, I'll-"

"Don’t do-"

"-take 'em-"

"-that!"

"-off-."

"Wha-?"

I'm staring at… Eiling's chest. I'm draped over his shoulder, his right shoulder, his right arm anchoring me in place. Kadabra and Mahkent are close by, and Mahkent's got both of my rings.

"Okay. What happened?"

Eiling shifts slightly. "Kadabra, he himself again?"

"He is… Not right, but whatever was affecting him has abated."

Mahkent smirks, though his eyes don't leave my rings. "Told you."

Eiling picks me up and drops me on the ground next to him, and I just about manage to get my feet under me.

"What happened?"

Eiling looks down at me, weighing me up. "You tell us. You came down the hole raving like a God damned Section Eight. Kadabra and me had to punch a hole through to the storm drain."

"I-. I had clones of myself around in case I needed another body to jump into. Mannheim captured them. Did.. something to one to put part of the Anti-Life into it. Once it touched my construct it started absorbing the orange light. When the Suicide Jockeys killed it, the Anti-Life… It bypassed my normal protections."

"You need to get checked out?"

"I should be fine until-. Until we get back to the Tower."

"Yeah, that's a problem." Eiling nods at Kadabra, who waves his wand to call up a holographic image of the city.

Oh. That's a lot of soldiers.

"What makes you so interesting?"

"There's… A chance that Mannheim could use me to corrupt the concept of avarice."

Eiling narrows his eyes. "If he can do that, why the hell are you in the field?"

"Didn't know he could do that. Really hoped he couldn't. My plan for… Beating them rather hinges on it."

"Huh?" Mahkent looks away from my rings. "You know how to win?"

"Probably. But as you can see, I very definitely can be wrong about things. You finished with those?"

"What?" He blinks, then jerks his head back to the rings. "Oh. Ah, you..? Sure you should be touching these?"

"They're an Anti-Life infection vector, and I'm the only one here immune to the lure of the orange light, which is why you're finding them so entrancing."

I-.

"What happened to my armour?"

"Too awkward to carry. Tore you out of it. Same with-" I see the alien on his other shoulder. "-this guy."

"What species is he?"

He reaches across with his right hand and picks the alien up, then lowers him to where I can look at his face. "Same species as Kanjar Ro, whatever they are."

Weirdly skinny, pointed nose, large eyes and digitigrade legs.

"Dhorians. I thought they'd be too busy to bother anyone."

Kadabra raises his right eyebrow. "Why?"

"I gave one of their neighbours a major technological boost. Their cold war should be going hot against fairly soon. Okay, put him back."

Eiling does, though he's clearly agitated. "So, because of you, they're here to put the boot in?"

I shrug. "Kanjar Ro knew about us already. Looked like they were trying to steal Apokoliptian technology. And I suspect that they kidnapped Tuppence as well, but Kanjar Ro tried that with the Justice League so she's in good company."

I have-. Had data on Dhorian teleportation systems, so there's a chance that we can escape that way. Depends on how much attention they're paying. If it's automatic-.

"Far as I can tell-" Eiling points at the map. "-our best route out is to head towards the waterfront and then punch a hole so we come up through one of these buildings. There's no way they're not watching the exit, but if we're lucky, we should be able to hide out until they reposition their troops."

"How lucky do you feel?"

"With you combat-ineffective, not too lucky. Got a better idea?"

I reach into my pouch and slip the yellow ring on.

Nar.

14th February 2013
    15:16 GMT -5

Yellow light flares as I remember the Anti-Life clawing at my soul and trying to take away my ability to act on the universe. No, don't be submerged. Focus it.

"That's a solid 'maybe'. Kadabra, wake him up. We need a chat. And Mister Mahkent? Give me my rings back."

Last edited: Jul 11, 2023
  28. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

Not entirely certain what happened to that sentence.

Edit:I thought he stored the yellow ring and lantern in his rings subspace, which he can't access without wearing the orange ring.

29. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

a bit confused after "but" - maybe delete "they did that"

30. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Quoted for posterity's sake.

So this is also your fault.

PROTOTYPElu2 likes this.