1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Blaze needs to show up and do a mass sanctification of Gotham or something; it might be a long-term project but there should be enough popular/political will for such a course of action (Which reminds me, any update/progress on finding the escaped G-Onis? Did they end up in Hell or something?).
    The discussion of magic artifacts in this update reminded me of the MLP kelpie-amulets in Denmark in the Renegade timeline, which I believe should still be sitting there unprotected in the Paragon timeline. Of course, I'd hope that some trusted authority on magic learned some initiative from Paragon and is coordinating the search and evaluation of museum displays around the world for potential magical artifacts- Doctor Mist might be non-interventionist but I believe he'd consider something like that to be within his self-imposed purview.

Lord Ernest, Gilhelmi and Cuchulin like this.
  2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Pff, no.

Varano, Sceptic, Gilhelmi and 7 others like this.
  3. Lubaf

Lubaf Meow.

And Paul won't blame them: He has others, and the things are only really useful in locking down magic users you already have ahold of (or have a speedster around, which usually amounts to the same thing). While they could be misused, given that killing is another option the Chinese don't shy away from, they probably won't by most reasonable standards.

Thanks
    Luc "Together We'll Break These Chains of Love" French

4. Xelloss

Xelloss Know what you're doing yet?

Dammit, now I have the Moana song playing in my head.

Gilhelmi, Vorian and Ardy like this.
  5. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

I know, but I'm always reluctant to ignore people whose biggest crimes are ignorance and ranting. Then again, there comes a point....yep. It's time.

Vorian, Ardy and Mr Zoat like this.
  6. Mr Zoat

I can help with that.

7. zerofarad

zerofarad Know what you're doing yet?

Are these quote marks meant to be plain? I remember colored quotes being reserved for enlightenment.

8. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

That is overwhelming fear.

Gilhelmi likes this.
  9. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I think you have a bit of a misunderstanding in concern to the circumstances.

Doctor Gotham wasn't actually awake till Paul broke open his sarcophagus. If you want to be exact magically speaking he's been trapped in the dream for the past 40,000 years. There's no real conspiracy so much as Strega listening to the disconnected mumbling of a sleeping person and that sleeping person getting brief glimpses of her as she attempted to free him from his sarcophagus.

Further you're forgetting that HE didn't intend to profit from the killing. But instead was planning to use that energy to save someone else the people invading his home had just suggested they grievously injured. Which means while you might be able to argue there was no immediate fear for his own safety, and that's a big might, concern for the safety of others applies.

The funny thing is he could probably even argue "religious rights" over this given the sun god he follows.

Cuchulin likes this.
  10. alid610

alid610 Light of the Revolution

Paul is a Space Cop. So anyone tries any legal trickery and he can just remove them by space law to go to space court for space hearing to be sent to space jail.

Also post Roanoke laws are in effect. They should be incredibly harsh to magic users seeing how so many Children were killed by magic users.

11. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Nope, he just helps.

The not quite God thing that Darkseid put on Gotham is the main culprit.

Gilhelmi likes this.
  12. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Since the Sol System hasn't signed any treaties with the Orange Lantern Corps that would be kidnapping.

And I am sure they would be, if he had actually committed any criminal acts with magic.

But Doctor Gotham has been locked up for the past 40,000 years and was literally just broken out by Paul.

13. Mr Zoat

Dare I ask..?

14. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

I think he might be talking about the Hyper-Adapter that chased Bruce through time, but I'm not sure...

dogbertcarroll likes this.
  15. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

That's a valid point; his defense could argue that he wasn't a willing participant in the conspiracy. It might even work.

No, this counts, for the same reason that you can't steal someone's kidney to save someone else's life.

16. smithclarkson001

smithclarkson001 Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

T
    Thanks for sharing the sequence of links finally able to find it...!

17. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I would honestly be a bit surprised if the prosecutor doesn't get to the "I broke open his sealed from the outside sarcophagus with a deadly weapon" part of Paul's report and go "It's very unlikely we would be able to win this case".

I am not sure that would work given "stealing a kidney" would be a separate act that would occur after defending others from them.

18. alid610

does doctor gotham have money to get a lawyer. Public defenders in america are so overworked that I expect his lawyer would have less than an hour to review the case before the court time. So no way is an overworked underpaid public defender gonna be able to go with the new magic laws to get Mister Gotham out of a jail sentence.

Sceptic and Ardy like this.
  19. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Also, the human trafficking and human sacrifice going on in his 'house' I think that give OL a valid reason to detain him and confiscate weapons.

20. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Despite OL's statement....by comic book writers seriously not understanding insanity pleas or how arrests actually work.

Joker is stated to have a "Dream team" of lawyers that keep him off death row for one.

Of course, as Joker has no legitimate income, every single penny and asset he has would be seized by the state upon his arrest. You can't use funds you obtained illegally to fund a legal defense after all. The IRS would be all over that shit.

I also believe that he has been executed by the state once, but revived somehow.

21. alid610

wait doctor Gotham is the reason the whole city is loony insane and corrupt right.

So you can also charge him with city wide posion/toxic attack. He posioned the city with an undetectable magical posion. That can now be detected. So thats hundreds of years of magical posioning of the city.

Vorian likes this.
  22. Mr Zoat

People could donate to his defence fund.

I seem to remember that he was once due to be executed for a crime he didn't commit, but Batman got him off.
    If they could prove that was happening, and that is was deliberate. He was there first.

boo600, Ardy, Prince Charon and 5 others like this.
  23. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

That rings a bell.....

24. Mr Zoat

That series also showed that the Joker doesn't know the difference between a trademark and a patent.

25. Valint

Valint I trust you know where the happy button is?

I've never really understood why this is a sticking point for so many.

The DC universe is a place where facing a deadly threat is a standard means of getting superpowers. All it takes is one guy who gets up and walks away from the electric chair as The Electrocutioner, and I'd imagine that the death penalty would start losing some of its luster.

This is particularly true when you're talking about a guy with no apparent superpowers, who reasonably could be assumed to be perfectly safe to be locked up for the rest of his life.

Thank you!

Yes, IP law joins insanity defenses and diplomatic immunity as legal fields that comic book writers seem to take delight in just babbling nonsense about.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  26. bobsimmo

bobsimmo Simmr001 on SV/SB

why do you THINK they are so strict on insanity pleas? joker probably closed the states loopholes on it

27. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

Given Vandal Savage is ten-thousand years older than how long Mister Gotham has been imprisoned, I wonder if the more fit immortal knows the sorcerer well enough to do a spit-take the moment he appears on the news...

28. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Yes, but Paul and John just stole it.

Mind you, he likely doesn't need it as "40,000 year old sorcerer" is high level "pro-bono" bait.

Of course, I am not even sure Doctor Gotham will need that. Because everything said and done, it's pretty much a sure thing that the Feds will show up with an employment contract before the week is up. Which given what I know about such things will likely include "You won't be on the hook for anything Strega did and we will get a court order demanding the return of your stuff" wording in it.

Cuchulin likes this.
  29. Grek

Grek (she/her)

Realistically, if Zoat goes with the Lich Trial plot point, it'll be that some wealthy individual who wants access to ancient lich magic is paying for his lawyer. Probably some sort of supervillian.

30. Aabcehmu

Aabcehmu Confusion As a Natural State of Being

This could explained by it taking him non-instant amounts of time to tap more of his artifacts to produce a bigger effect, so he have time to scale up to Maximum Strength before Lord John took away his mana sources.

(Also, for what it's worth, a 3.5e psion can actually only spend a number of Power Points on a single manifestation equal to their manifester level, possible up to plus 3 if they have Overchannel and are level 20, which comes out to 23 power points on a single manifestation, or between one fifteenth and one twentieth of their total power point pool.)

Senevri and infinityDivided like this.